Chapter 8 : Leaving Energy Manipulation Class, Picking Some New Skills
368 5 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reno’s Rift Exploration teacher didn’t show up and the sub just let the entire class have a free session on account of it being the first day.

 

‘Looks like the rift exploration leader is still the same’

 

The name of his teacher was Melia Opal and she was classified by everyone in the school as a free spirit. She was over 6 feet tall and had blonde hair with blue eyes.

 

Her main job was to explore rifts as a combatant while she just taught a class at the academy on the side as she said it helped her memorize things better.

 

Due to teaching being something more akin to a side job, Melia showed up when she felt like it most of the time, no matter if it was the first day or even last day of school.

 

Grania was in a different pool from Reno for the Rift Exploration class too, so he didn’t really have anyone to talk to.

 

Not wanting to waste time however, Reno tapped on his smartwatch and then started to scroll the academy’s skill book catalogue, trying to see what he could make use of without a vital core.

 

Unsurprisingly enough, even when the class time was close to being finished, he had no luck as the academy’s catalogue was made based on the idea that everyone in it had a vital core.

 

Reno was frustrated but the only thing he could do was to keep looking. When Reno heard the sound of the bell, he closed his smartwatch and then got ready to travel to his survival 101 class.

 

For the survival 101 class, nothing out of place happened.

 

Different from the other classes however, the survival 101 class was taught by two different teachers, one for theory and another for practical activities.

 

The only annoying thing was that for the survival 101 class on the first day back, I had to actually have a class and even got homework to do before the first practical class on Wednesday.

 

‘Why? The day was going so well but this class really had to mess that up huh”

 

The theory teacher was an all round average guy that gave off scholarly vibes. He always seemed to be tired, sleep deprived and would rarely shave so he would have messy beard hair. His name was Nero Idris.

 

The students didn’t like him very much as he was stern and known for giving out bad marks for small mistakes. 

 

‘The original Reno’s marks for survival theory last year were really bad, he only passed because his practical marks were really good and the practical teacher was really liked by the students’

 

Practical survival was taught by Ryan Basil who was a tall, handsome and knowledgeable teacher, according to the girls at least.

 

Teacher Ryan was a pretty outgoing person who was helpful to all and patient with those that tended to make lots of mistakes.

 

As if to make him even more perfect, teacher Ryan was also a B+ rank combatant who most students of the academy saw as being at an elite level.

 

Looking at his homework to point out the flaws in a labelled rift herb diagram and say what thing should actually be there, Reno sighed.

 

After hearing the bell and taking up his stuff, Reno headed to the door.

 

‘I would have an energy manipulation class with Grania after this but I don’t have my vital core anymore and I’d rather not risk the chance of anyone in there finding out anything about it.’

 

‘When I get the chance, I’ll tell Grania why I’m not going to be attending the class anymore.’

 

Reno then swiped up his smartwatch, went on the class interface that the assignments were usually posted on and chose to leave the class.

 

In Reno’s old world, you’d have to go through a full process of talking to the school before you could leave your class or join a new one but leaving a class here really just needed the click of a button.

 

The process was optimized in this way so that there would be no delays in students on the waiting list to get notified when a class was able to be joined and for the student leaving to not have to deal with anything troublesome.

 

‘I had fairly average results in that class and the teacher most likely didn’t even know I existed, the only person of important in there to the original Reno was Grania who I can just tell later’

 

‘I can even eat lunch early now as all my classes were right after each other so I wouldn’t be able to eat lunch until 1-2pm normally but now I can eat earlier’

 

When Reno still had his Vital Core, hunger didn’t affect him as much and he would be able to be fine for 1 or 2 days without eating but as he felt a bit hungry from just around three hours of classes, it was clear that was no longer the case.

 

As with Reno before the incident and most others, as hunger was partially dealt with due to their vital cores, they chose to eat when they had a chance. This led to some eating at 12am in the morning and such. The services of the academy were built with this in mind.

 

Aligning academy started at 7:30am in the morning and essentially was open 24/7 as different types of artificial intelligence systems had the job of doing most mundane tasks such as selling and serving lunch or even cleaning up the place.

 

Reno then walked to the cafeteria that had a small number of students eating food.

 

Reno found a seat and ordered the food he wanted on his smart watch.

 

‘I’ll just get a basic ham and cheese sandwich with macaroni on the side, some honey roast ribs and also some chocolate milk as my drink.’

 

After inputting his order on his watch, within a short period of time, less than 15 seconds, a female android came with his food and then left.

 

‘No matter how much memories I have about it or how much I think about it, the future is so fucking sweet!’

 

‘If only the chance of getting bullied was much lower then I’d call it paradise even with the amount of races trying to kill us humans.”

 

After calming himself down, Reno started enjoying his food while continuing to search on his watch to find any skills that had no need for energy to be provided.

 

Around another hour passed by with him having no luck.

 

‘I didn’t think that they would be this rare to the point that the even after hours, I can’t see any sign of one’

 

‘Classes have finished for the day yet I still don’t know what skill book I should choose. When I reach the library, I’ll ask the artificial intelligence that’s in charge of the library if there is any.’

 

Having finished his food a while ago, Reno ordered for his finished dishes to be picked up on his smartwatch and was getting ready to leave when he got stopped by a hand on his head back.

 

“I can’t believe you left me alone in EM (Energy Manipulation) class by myself, who was I supposed to rant to about fat asses and thick thighs”

 

Looking around, Reno saw the one and only Grania whose hair was a bit disheveled and who was pouting a bit.

 

Reno turned around and Grania released his head back.

 

“My bad, I’ll tell you why but can we talk on the way to the library, I need to check something and choose my skill”

 

Grania was still a bit salty. “I’m fine with that, I’ll just choose my new skill at the same time”

 

After agreeing, Reno and Grania started making their way over to the library. It didn’t take them long to get there from the cafeteria, around 5 minutes.

 

After hearing what happened to Reno, Grania’s face was full of shock and then a bit of anger. 

 

“That’s crazy! At least you reported it to the healing department and the student council.”

 

“Those two deserve to get locked up for life though, It’s kind of wild how calm you are about it too, if it was me, I’d most likely be at a mental hospital at this point.”

 

“I wish I could do something Reno but all I can really say is don’t give up, if you don’t become a B ranker then who’s gonna take care of me in the future”

 

Reno rolled his eyes. “Why don’t you just become one and support me”

 

Grania looked at Reno seriously and then laughed. “I swear, sometimes you say some of the funniest shit Reno, anyway, let’s go choose our skills now.”

 

When Reno and Grania walked inside, even though he had the previous Reno’s memories, he was still amazed.

 

The library seemed to be as large as a football field with students walking all around the place, the shelves that were filled with books seemed to reach as high as the sky with elevators for travel in between the different floors.

 

Looking to his left, Reno saw a lady with hair that changed from blue to red to yellow and then restarting that same cycle again and again.

 

This was the academy’s artificial intelligence librarian. There was a line to ask her a question but as the librarian was swift at answering each person’s questions, it only took Reno around 5 minutes to get his turn.

 

The librarian’s eyes that were changing with color like her hair had a blank stare at Reno while her hands were all round her desk filling out documents and doing different tasks.

 

“Hello Sir, How may this librarian be of assistance”

 

“I’m here to choose a skill book. I need the search to be narrowed down to anything that doesn’t need energy to activate.”

 

In less than a second the librarian processed Reno’s request.

 

 “I’ve narrowed the search down, check your smartwatch and you’ll see the results”

 

Tapping on his smartwatch and seeing the narrowed down results, Reno told Grania where he was gonna be and then left the line and went to sit down at a library table.

 

“Hopefully there’s something that will be of use to me”

 

Reno then closed his eyes and saw lines of text on a brown panel in front of him.

 

[Aligning University/Academy Skill Store] [Reno Mochizuki (Merit Student)]

[Credits remaining : 1] 

 

[5/10,000] (Results narrowed down)

 

+Parry (Not learned)

   {A basic move that can be used with most weapons. Able to redirect the direction of an attack very slightly while also negating 10% of the damage received. {Calculated based on the user’s defense/vitality and the skill’s proficiency level}} (Rarity : F [Common]) [Cooldown time : 20 seconds] 

=Cost : 0.5 credits (50% discount due to the small number of buyers)

 

+Stab (Not learned)

   {A basic move that can be used with most weapons. By turning the weapon horizontally and applying force to it swiftly against an opponent, the user is able to slightly pierce through some defense and at times even cause a small amount of damage based on their speed/strength and the skill proficiency} (Rarity : F [Common]) [Cooldown time : 15 seconds] 

=Cost : 0.5 credits (50% discount due to the small number of buyers)

 

+Slice (Not learned)

   {A horizontal strike of any weapon that is able to swiftly deal a small amount of damage on hit  {Calculated based on the user’s speed/strength and the skill’s proficiency level} (Rarity : F [Common]) [Cooldown time : 10 seconds]

=Cost : 0.5 credits (50% discount due to the small number of buyers)

 

+Quick Step (Not learned)

  {By concentrating a great deal of strength in one of your feet, the user is able to swiftly change his position from where they were standing to anywhere within a 30 cm radius}  {Calculated based on the user’s speed/vitality and the skill’s proficiency level} (Rarity : F [Common]) [Cooldown time : 5 minutes]

=Cost : None  (No buyers in the last 10 semesters so the price has been removed)

 

+Quick Draw (Not learned) [Requires that weapon has a scabbard/sheath]

  {By holding your sheath and weapon handle at the same time, the user can input a huge amount of strength into both and then swiftly draw out the weapon which increases the strength of this strike by 10% }  {Calculated based on the user’s strength/speed and the skill’s proficiency level} (Rarity : F [Common]) [Cooldown time : 5 minutes]

=Cost : 0.5 credits (50% discount due to the small number of buyers)

 

Seeing what was there, Reno was glad that there were at least some skills that could be learned but from what he was seeing, all of them seemed bad.

 

Hell, one of them was even free because no one had bought it for years.

13