A poor choice of friends
99 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My dear friend,
how can I explain my regrets? 

When I was younger, I faced a terrible group. They would bully, and cheat, and steal, and none could do anything against them. Not only were they strong, they were the ones charged with enforcing the law. There was no other authority we could plead with for help. 

As I grew older, I trained and fought, and eventually got revenge against this group, and many others. Yet now, as I lie dying, as I listen to the stories my agents tell me, I’ve changed nothing.

I placed a trusted friend in charge of each city, after removing the corrupt monsters in charge of them. Now, I hear the tales. The red light city, famed for its brothels? Many of the men who enter, never leave. In secret, that widower now uses dark rituals to retain her beauty and youth by sacrificing others. 

The city of flowers, famed for its beauty, is known to have no beggars on the streets, no orphans, no desperate poor. It’s because they are all rounded up for use in experiments by a doctor I once considered the greatest doctor I’d ever known. While I’m sure she’s advancing medical science, I shudder to think of all the victims sacrificed for it.

Looking at this letter, I couldn’t help but laugh. I knew this would happen. In fact, I warned you of it. Yet now, you beg me at the very end to slay these demons of yours, ignorant to the fact, that I’m the reason you are now dying. With you out of the way, I can come out of the shadows, and become the king. I’d just been helping you with that as my aim this whole time.

Though, I suppose when I have finally taken over, perhaps I should get rid of these demons you made. They’ve been stealing taxes that should belong to me after all.

***Author Note***

Got inspired while listening to this: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU3Ew2iktgY

1