Digging
83 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

You’ve been granted the skill: Digging.

Digging? That’s the skill I get? The blessing? Isn’t that just a trash skill?

“Oh wow, you have digging, huh? That’s great!”

Why is the king so happy?

“What? Great? How is digging great? I wanted a cool skill, like holy smite or something.”

“Like my swordsmanship! Haha! While you run around with a shovel, I’m gonna fight monsters!”

My classmate seemed to understand. That’s what I was hoping for when I got caught in an isekai.

“I suppose I can’t expect you to know our history. Well, the last time a kingdom offended a summoned hero with the digging skill, they buried that kingdom’s capital. Even gave them a nice warning about it ahead of time, not that anyone believed them. A few months later, at the designated time, the city suddenly fell a hundred meters into the ground. The ground beneath the city just collapsed, burying the whole thing.” 

Oh, I guess that explanation from the king, explains a lot.

“With patience the digging skill can achieve great things. It just takes a lot more planning and time. For instance: Undermining dungeons and collapsing them. This can provide an enormous amount of experience. Sadly, this trick won’t work well against the demon king anymore. After the last time the demon king’s castle was buried by a digger, they created new burrowing demon types.”

“So, what exactly do I do then?” 

“Well, to be honest, I’d like to hire you for our military. My top general is always telling me I should send him any digger I find. The swordsman, elementalist and healer should all go monster hunting though. Get some experience and get stronger before trying to take on the demons.” 

“Wait, you’re offering the digger a job, but not offering us one?”

The swordsman didn’t seem happy.

“Hunting monsters is a job! Pays well too! Just make sure you bring back the carcases for processing. The hides and meat are useful.”

In the end, I had to do a lot of digging. It wasn’t bad work, and I did get paid well, but in the military, digging means building fortifications and tunnels. At least I don’t have to fight on the front lines. Even with healers around, not everyone survives the fights, and even when they do, those wounds look painful.

Can I get a refund on my isekai? This really isn’t as great as those stories made it seem. Even as a well paid worker in this world, the luxuries just don’t compare to what I had back on earth. I miss my computer. I miss my games. I miss my coffee. I really miss my coffee… and chocolate. There’s no chocolate here!

4