Outside-Context Problem
77 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Outside-Context Problem

As the general of the Liberation Army, this upcoming battle was critical. We’d planned and planned, and spent years preparing for this. Yet, as the army finally took to the field to begin the attack, a star fell. Falling stars aren’t too uncommon, but they don’t normally do much of anything. This time though, it fell with enough force that the entire capital city collapsed. According to reports, all enemy leadership is dead… while it’s a relief that the war is over, I find it hard to accept that all that work amounted to so little. Time to start rebuilding, and trying to save as many people from the rubble as we can.

Lying in a crater where I’d fallen, I lamented my weakness. Luck is the only reason I still live. My destined battle with my rival had finally come. He was planning to conquer a new world, and I was going to stop him or die trying. Sadly, I was no match for him, despite all my efforts and training. His power was so far beyond what anyone could have expected from his realm of cultivation that there was no way I could’ve predicted it. I thought for sure I would die from that last attack, but it was thankfully weakened and just sent me flying into the nearby planet he was planning to attack. As for the interruption that prevented him from killing me? All I know is that he was suddenly engulfed by a brilliant flash of light and vanished along with the light right before my eyes. 

The greatest weapon ever built, the pride of my finest engineers, the Nova Cannon! … and the gunners missed. Missed! We only had one shot! Firing it involves detonating a star and channeling the entire power of a supernova into a beam of fiery destruction travelling at near light speeds! The target was a planet sized warship! Save me the excuses, missing was not an option! Now I stare at the view screens and wonder if our enemies would accept a surrender. Otherwise, all that awaits us is death… wait… is that a crack in space? That was just a theory! … well, I suppose if the enemy ship gets split in half by an interdimensional portal, we might survive.

“I told you not to touch my stuff!”

“I just poked it a little.”

“And now there’s a hole in it! Now I have to patch that up, and survey just how much damage you did to that universe.”

***Author Note***

Just a silly idea spawned by a trope: Outside-Context Problem (Tv-tropes link)
I'm not really using that trope in the standard manner though.

2