Chapter 127: Oh, the shame
307 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The drawbridge was up and the castle’s walls were silent, thus William entered their small tavern instead. In there he soon picked up on the mood his appearance created. Here he was, thinking that only Thalgar would be scorned for his stench, but apparently his clothes and apparel were just as unbefitting in the eyes of the tavern’s guests.

From one housewife came a sigh, “Haaah… Here we go again. You would think a family capable of breeding those features would be able to spare a shabby dress, alas, the poor lass had to borrow her father’s old mess…”. While another muttered, “What’s next? A marriage between two women!? BAH! I’d kill myself the day such ungodly rituals take place!”.

William tried to hold his upright frame as he made his way over to the bar.

The tavern owner had his face down amongst the brewed goods. When he came up to greet his new guest he was caught off guard. “HUH!? Uhm… What can I help you with?... Little ma-... lady?”. William was just about as bewildered as the owner.

Ignoring all their fessing and ashamed attitude, William tried his best to get information from the tavern owner. “I noticed how the gates are locked and the drawbridge closed… But I need to meet with one of the castle’s inhabitants. Do you know how someone like me can get an audience with their guards? Or perchance the lord’s counselor?”.

Out of his stupor, the owner quickly replied, “Hm!? Yes, yes… The castle is closed, I’ve heard of this. Something about the lord being on a trip to Seilor… I tell you, girl! They really got it going for them, you know? I think that’s why the lord wishes to be part of their development... Cause it’s a fine upcoming castle city is what it is! And a great marketplace to boot!... But about that audience?... Welp, little lady, you got to wait for a month or two… As I said, the lord is away and the castle is in lockdown… But, hmm... You could deliver them a letter, stating your business and possible meeting place to gather at once the gates are open again?... It’ll be a small fee, but I’ll gladly write one for you?”.

While William took in that mouthful, another customer was served, “… I can write it myself. But please do deliver it”. “Sure”, the owner gleefully said before he sprinted backdoors for a small piece of parchment. “Here you go! Use up the space good and hand me some pence and the message once you’re done… Afterward, I’ll make sure that the supply wagon delivers it”.

Sitting down in a corner, William hesitated on what to write because there could be no mistakes. But if there was something he wasn’t afraid to jot down, it was to whom the letter was addressed. “To the lord of Halbal”, William muttered as he wrote and then it suddenly dawned on him how lucky he was to be able to write for himself. For surely the tavern owner would not have dared to address the lord so casually…

After many hours, William ended up writing this:

To the lord of Halbal, Harvick Blaise.

Due to urgent circumstances, I am sadly forced to postpone our reunion. But know this: I, Mirabelle, am alive and will be out on a small journey of great importance! If Joss has not returned by now. Then he is with all certainty dead…

I will explain how that came to happen the next time I come by. Hopefully, then you’ll be back. I also gathered from your absence that things are more stable now? If not, hold out. I’ll come with aid and help you.

Hail to you, from Mirabelle.

Once the letter was finally done, William proudly handed it over. Oblivious to his mistake of using the abstract word: “Aid”... Normally such a word would be harmless, but when addressed to a lord of a certain tumultuous castle, its insinuating power could be enough to cause even the most complacent enemy some worry!...

As the letter shifted hands, William decided to ask the owner for some helpful guidance as well, “By the way, do you know where I can get me some new clothes?”. It wasn’t out of shame but practicality that he had chosen to bend his will. Like Thalgar had chosen to bear one suffering over another.

Of course, he would fight against those who would stand between him and Lucifer as a bonded pair. But would he really take up the fight for something as petty as a dress? No… That battle had to wait for another day...

Hearing the lady’s interest in wearing proper garments, the tavern owner glowed with satisfaction and said, “Why, yes! Just head down to Brunhilda's house. She should have more than enough dresses to spare. Oh… And if you don’t know where that is? It’s right next to… The moat. The westernmost moat... Yeah, it sucks, but they didn’t know all the corpses would be dug down there. Just keep in mind where the wind blows and don’t mention it to them. They’ve heard plenty of complaints come from others on their behalf… And by all means, don’t mention anything about the vampires! They don’t buy that stuff”.

In contrast to his expectations of the moat, it was just a dirt-covered hole, slightly raised above the ground. William ignored its existence and while he was at it, he not only bought some clothes for himself but for Thalgar as well. Because he really doubted the durability of the man’s garbs. Any second now that caveman’s rag could snap open and flash, what William presumed, was another jungle best unseen!

The transaction was quick and thus he returned early to the spot he had promised to rejoin Thalgar at. There was just one problem… Thalgar wasn’t there…

William contemplated on what to do. Thalgar could be anywhere at the moment, but surely once the three days were up he would return, right?... As William sat and twiddled thumbs, the trust there was between them couldn’t get any thinner.

The air was stale and no matter how invasive the man-beast’s stench had been, it couldn’t be picked up…

12