Chapter 33: Beauty is power
850 4 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A week after the raid, Jacqueline came back from her summons. She seemed overjoyed as she announced “Sir Castonale I bring wonderful tidings! You have been promoted! From now on, but especially during the winter seasons, you’ll be the knight captain to oversee the engaging squad! They believe that with your keen eyes you’ll be able to see the danger coming and help the castle defend us the next time!”.

The father felt his mood uplifted as he almost sang out “That’s great tidings indeed!”.

William and Joss could also exhale their breaths. Luckily lord Blaise saw opportunity in their father and not a potential scapegoat…

 

 

****

 

 

On William’s 4th birthday, they had to behold the sight of two oncoming family members. This was because both women in their household had become pregnant...

Joss handed William a new addition to his dinosaur family. It had become a tradition after all. Joss added “Don’t worry, don’t worry! I know how it is getting a new sibling! It’s really not that bad, haha…”. Then suddenly Joss’ mood turned 180 degrees as he muttered “Just, don’t ever call Harvick your big brother... Clearly I’m the best brother there is!”. To this, William could only roll his eyes and thank Joss for the dinosaur.

With such a moody brother, William felt it necessary to tease “Wauw! This time it actually looksh like one!”. Joss immediately turned grey and lifeless as his brilliant piece of art was getting scrutinized. This made William a bit guilty so he giggled and clapped his brother’s back “Ah! But I still lowe it! Please make me one nesht year too!”.

While the children celebrated William’s birthday, the adults were busy adjusting to the fact, that their families would soon expand. You would think that it was the pregnant ladies who were the most frustrated. But it turned out to be the father.

After all he was the leader of the household. Hence he had to figure out whether or not they should keep the children... Normally feeding them would be a tackle but not impossible with his newly gained title…

But in the midst of positive thinking, Grettel that old hag just had to come by and comment, with her usual venomous tongue “Why... now we finally know the truth! It wasn’t your dear wife who had gone spoiled down south? Turns out it was your pear-tree all along that was without blossoms… My, oh my… Maybe these unborn children are a blessing in disguise from Solvi? Hehehe”. The father clenched his fists. Trying to keep his anger from ruining his relationship with his nephew.

 

 

****

 

 

While they pondered over the worth of additional family members. It became late may. The sun was baking down on the backs of William and Jacqueline. They were traversing a nearby hill on the mainland. It was the area where the villagers kept their sheep. Once in a while among the wavy hills, one would spot a shepherd and his helpers.

These helpers were there to protect the sheep, if unwelcome dinosaurs should appear. Swarming on the outskirts, were dogs. Positioned to warn their masters of any danger.

The charming servant let William ride on her back some of the way. After all, it was quite the distance for someone as small as William to traverse. Jacqueline panted and explained “Today Mirabelle, I’ll show you how to shear a sheep”. Her curvy body stopped while two slender fingers reached her mouth. They made a ear piercing whistle. Which made them gain the attention of the shepherd.

William glanced up from Jacqueline’s shoulder and gaped at the sight. This shepherd had bulging muscles like a bodybuilder! Along with his magnificent beard, the burly man had an uncanny resembles to the woodcutter they lived nearby. Were they perhaps brothers!?

The shepherd came over with a speed that didn’t fit his stout size. Beneath his beard, a broad smile met the servant and the child. He asked “Why, hello Jacqueline! Nice to see that you survived the raid… Travelling these hills, you must be looking for the Castonale’s sheep, right? I mean, everyone comes at this time of year to shear their sheeps. It’s not really a surprise, haha... Why little missy, you don’t even have to ask me. Look over at that hill there! Those two dilly-dally sheeps are the ones you're looking for!”.

Jacqueline followed his finger that pointed to somewhere further away.

She bowed with grace, although she had a child on her back and went on her way. As they left the shepherd shouted after them “Ah! And if you forgot your shears, you’re welcome to borrow mine!”. The booming voice was filled with a dash of flirtation. Jacqueline didn’t turn back but smiled with content.

When they were out of ears reach, she said to William “Did you hear that little girl? That is the power of beauty. Men will fawn over you and try to aid you however they can… In this place, beauty is power my dear… So grow up beautifully, Mirabelle…”. William wanted to rip his ears off. They shouldn’t be filled with such nonsense.

Although, along with the nonsense William also heard something else. He just wasn’t sure if it was directed at him. It was Jacqueline who sighed to herself “Just never outshine others”...

William was bewildered at how long a trip they had to take, merely to cut two sheep. That was the puny amount his family owned. Jacqueline held the sheep as she instructed the child how to cut it.

She never let go of William’s hands, as he was countless times close to cutting the sheep’s stomach open! These shears were apparently very dangerous. But once the technique was down, it was easy to follow the sheep’s plump body. Cutting off all the wool it had grown over winter.

Packed in their sack, the wool didn’t take much space. William gulped almost disappointed. He never knew that this was the amount they had to work with. It was really nothing, compared to how much they would need during the year…

Jacqueline saw William’s worried look and comforted him “Aw, don’t worry my little lady. Your father has been promoted. Although the pay won’t be extravagant, it’ll be enough to buy maybe two more sheep along with food enough for…”. Jacqueline gazed down upon her stomach and mused “For the oncoming children...”.

Dun dun! Just wanna say many thanks to Ryan Boyle, for supporting me on patreon and being a reader ♥(ˆ⌣ˆԅ) Thank you!

19