Chapter 1: Beginning of the End
6.3k 19 96
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

cult-fire.png

The end is nigh.

"Haman Baboa Wan, Haman Baboa Wan!"

Fire illuminates various robed figures within the darkness. In exchange, the orange flame wavers to the strange chants of the members surrounding it. Although not all know what they're reciting, it is undoubtedly filled with deep, mysterious meaning.

"Booba Ya! Booba Ya!"

Profound meaning.

Despite the strange language knitting people's faces with cringe, everyone keeps their expectations low about this silly act. After all, this is the first time they're performing a ritual detailed in the Stonehenge book: an ancient text uncovered from the famous monolith stones six years ago.

However, some can't help but feel some expectation because it's been six years, time lost to research that may as well not exist given the secrecy required. Just the thought of this not producing a peep of result, even as a matter of failure, makes many sweat on the possibility they've been duped.

With that fear, cracks in their synchronization inevitably form. especially having been standing around for an hour and reciting without pause. Their voices waver like the flames in front of them with dry throats causing a few to cough, further dampening the hearts of their colleagues around.

'Has this been all for-'

The expansion of flames and loud pop interrupts the group leader's thoughts, her voice the most stable among the members. Reflecting in her near doubtful eyes, the flames recedes with an unnatural suction force, pulling it back into the fire pit until nothing is left but a sizzle.

The recitation ends with utter disbelief. The abrupt snuffing of the flames happened too fast to process for anyone to process. Was this a sign that they failed? Even so, it's more than anyone could wish for. However, just before anyone can breathe out in relief or disappointment...

A new flame bursts from the pit! With a blinding green hue, it snakes to the ceiling with a crackling roar! In response, the robed members scream and shield themselves from the fierce flames that expand outward.

Only the leader, coming down from the cusp of doubt, looks on in awe. Her hood slides down from the burst of wind that carries the flame upward, revealing her short dark-brown hair with some natural grey, tan complexion, and olive eyes that quiver.

"It's...real."

"Lecia, get back!"

With a sharp inhale, the group leader regains her senses. Following the others' actions, she steps away, pulling her hood back up to protect herself from the hot particles fluttering about. This is just as the green fire howls and more embers spew out, causing those around to recede further into the darkness.

Luckily, its torrent doesn't last long. It crackles weakly for a few seconds before all its flames and heat are pulled into the pit in one swoop, once again snuffed out as if time reversed. What then remains are the tiny cries of the group. Their uneven breathing helps to prevent the silence from overwhelming them as the green ambiance fades.

Many continue to hold their breath past the end, not daring to turn back if another fire rises again. It's only after a majority of the green embers settle on the ground that a few members relax enough to look back up.

"I-is it over? H-holy shit."

Footsteps tap about frantically, then light returns to everyone's eyes with an electric hum from above. While the members groan as their vision adjusts to the brightness, Lecia's contracting eyes returns to the fire pit, full of ash, dying embers, and smoke.

She shuts her eyes, trying to refocus on herself and her fellow members.

"Is everyone alright?" she then asks, scanning the surroundings.

"Yes, all good here."

"That was...incredible!"

"C-copper sulfate! We need to be sure there wasn't anything like that around! That's the only reason it could've otherwise turned green."

"No way, did you see how the flame was sucked back down and then came back up? That's completely unnatural!"

"This...was good, right? Six years of secret work to come to this."

"We're not even completely sure of the correct wording for this ritual! How can we be sure this isn't a coincidence?"

"Enough!"

The chattering members, full of skepticism, disbelief, and hope, all quieted to Lecia's call. Uncovering her hood again, she stares at the fire pit again, trying to collect her thoughts and calm her beating heart. Then, she takes a deep breath before addressing them all.

"Let me be clear —everything was checked beforehand. I can assure you that there were no anomalies within the pit or as part of the air."

She pauses to ensure everyone recognizes the importance of this matter now.

"So take to heart that what we witnessed! We won't have the answers yet as to what happened, but we can proudly claim that we are not just some crazy group hanging on to speculations. The Stonehenge book's contents are real!"

She takes out a copy of said book from her pouch, then spreads her arms out, holding the ancient delivering in one of her hands. "Our time to build this group, to learn — all of it has been worth it! While there's still more work to be done and we'll have to be even more careful about our actions, we'll eventually understand! When the time comes, we will eventually be able to share with the world our knowledge, prove its teachings, and make known of its implications; that is, the proof of an advanced history that existed before even the earliest civilizations!"

A few whispers followed. Growing smiles can be seen on their shadowed faces as their leader's words uplift their hearts.

"Lecia's right..."

"This is just the beginning!"

"Can we assume it's a failure though?"

"Well, even though it was intense, the flames didn't last very long."

"That doesn't mean it's a failure or success though. How vexing."

"This is why I was against performing this. For all we know, we could've died! Do we even have a small clue what this was supposed to do?"

"Our linguist says it may have to do with rain or water based on some words that hold similarity to Latin."

"So we might get rain...or we might have just unleashed a natural disaster."

Lecia claps her hands once more, grabbing their attention. "This is not the time for speculation! We must be patient and observe. Yes, we did take a risk, but someone wrote this book for another to find. It was meant to be used!"

She takes a breath before continuing. "Now as some of you are scientists, you know that you must experiment. Historians without evidence have to start off with a guess based on what they know about a specific time. Business men and women sometimes have to take risks to achieve successful profit. Our attempt here is nothing but a similar stride towards progress. Remember though, this is not for our gain! It is for the betterment of the world!"

The members remain and stare proudly now towards their leader as she, once again, reminds them of their purpose . The green flame has aptly rekindled their collective hearts after years of doubt.

After hearing no more qualms, Lecia grins. "So, on that note, why don't we celebrate that we're still here and what we've gained out of our little attempt? Drinks will all be on me!"

For some, that's an even better reward after the tiresome chanting. Cheers erupt and although some still worry about the ritual's effect, they keep it to themselves, hoping nothing happens due to their ignorance.

The warehouse grows more reposed as the members slowly exit the building while removing their robes. The last one to leave places a fire-retardant blanket over the ritual pit before turning the lights off.

Soon, nothing but the occasional rattling from the wind outside and rumbling of the steel resounds inside. Cold stillness fills the warehouse, until...

Buyo...buyo...

A round blue gelatinous slime the size of a baseball rustles the blanket as it slithers out from the fire pit. It makes strange buoyant noises as it shakes off the ash and disintegrates some floaties. After cleaning itself, it doesn't waste any time and bounces off, moving into a new world.

A force of unknown nature has been released.

96