Chapter 53: Promise
4.3k 14 228
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Unbeknownst to Kazuya, Harribel and her group were caught in their own maelstrom of troubles. Nestled deep within a gargantuan underground cave, the five women were surprisingly quiet, a solemn air surrounding all of them.

Cirucci flew out of the giant hole over their head to scout the surroundings. Moments later, she landed back in the cave. “I can’t sense him anywhere.”

“Neither can I,” admitted Harribel, her fingers gently caressing the mysterious egg clutched tightly to her chest as though its presence offered some form of comfort. “It could be a trap to lure us out.”

Cirucci’s brows knitted together in concern. “It absolutely is.”

Despite their heightened caution, they had yet to catch sight of their pursuer yet — the one chasing them for almost a day. What they felt, instead, was an overpowering Reiatsu steadily closing in on them. A Reiatsu that belonged to none other than King Baraggan. The moment they identified it, they had taken off at their best speed.

Mila Rose forcefully dragged her Zanpakutō across the granular white sand before nailing it on the wall. “Tch. This hide and seek is suffocating me. I just want to beat him to death.”

Befitting her lioness characteristics, she was proud and ferocious. Her Arrancarization only enhanced those traits. Crushing Baraggan was a bigger priority than her own life.

Apacci sat beside the wall, her gaze fixated on the wall in a daze. “If only we had that power."

Harribel shook her head. “We’ll beat Baraggan, but not today. Let’s keep—”

She stopped abruptly, her attention captured by the egg. It twitched unexpectedly, its activity highly unusual considering its quiet demeanor over the last few days.

“Is it about to hatch?”

As Harribel attempted to communicate with the egg, a surge of Reiatsu seeped out from it. She couldn’t help but recall Kazuya’s face upon sensing the Reiatsu.

Sung-Sun chuckled lightly, her eyes twinkling with mirth. “How cute. Did it sense Kazuya and start sending signals?”

“The hatchling is calling out to its mother.” Mila Rose chuckled, the egg’s shenanigans shifting her mood for the better. “I still can’t believe Skull’s Zanpakutō is a literal egg.”

Apacci jabbed Mila Rose’s hand with her horn. “Stop calling him mother… Call him father if you must.”

“Why is that bothering you?”

Apacci turned her head away at the question. “It’s gross to call a man mother. Harribel-sama would agree with me.”

Harribel was too engrossed in the egg to pay any attention to her surroundings.

Cirucci also observed the egg with sharp eyes. An unsettling feeling gnawed at her. “Harribel, it’s almost at the level of a Gillian. Stop it before it reaches Adjuchas…”

Harribel patted the egg, whispering to it many words of comfort. Despite her efforts, she failed to stop the egg from sabotaging their location. Looking helplessly at Cirucci, she shook her head. “I don’t think it understands us.”

A wave of frustration passed over Cirucci’s face as she rubbed her forehead. “Blast. We may need to abandon the egg.”

“What?” The comment sparked immediate outrage in Apacci. Her growl reverberated through the cave, reminiscent of a bloodthirsty wolf. “Are you stupid? It’s Kazuya’s Zanpakutō. Do you want him to end up like you?”

“But we’re left with no other choice!”

Sung-Sun lightly poked Cirucci’s back with her tail. “There’s always a choice. Look, there’s another path we can take.”

Following Sung-Sun’s gaze, they found their attention drawn towards a dauntingly steep pathway leading further into the underground labyrinth.

Mila Rose squinted, trying to penetrate the thick blanket of darkness. “Where does it lead? What if it’s a dead end?”

Sung-Sun scoffed at Mila Rose’s hesitation. “Then we go through the Garganta to the Living World. We have better chances there than fighting Baraggan.”

Harribel weighed her options for a moment and decided to follow Sung-Sun’s suggestion. Standing up, she beckoned the group. “Let’s go.”

“Hold on!” Cirucci interjected. “I remember what lies beneath Hueco Mundo — the Forest of Menos. A forest filled with Gillians and Adjuchas.”

Apacci’s eyes glowed fiercely. “Let’s go.”

She was close to evolving into a Vasto Lorde, so much that she could feel it in her bones. Consuming a bunch of Gillians would undoubtedly aid her transformation. The prospect of attaining the same level of power as Harribel filled her with a thrill she couldn’t suppress.

‘I won’t be useless against Baraggan.’

Sung-Sun saw through Apacci’s desires. The deer was like an open book. “Harribel-sama, take Cirucci and Mila Rose ahead. I have to talk to Apacci.”

“Huh?”

Somewhat surprised, Harribel shot Apacci a sharp glance. Their relationship hadn’t been the brightest ever since Kazuya left.

Now left alone with Sung-Sun, Apacci curiously stared at the snake. “What is it?”

“Don’t be consumed by your urges,” Sung-Sun whispered. “Kazuya isn’t interested in your strength, but your heart. That’s all I’ll say.”

It was Sung-Sun’s attempt to stop Apacci from degrading into a typical Hollow who kept devouring others for power. A path that might put her against Harribel.

Apacci paused for a moment before she lowered her head. “I promise it is only until I become Vasto Lorde. I’m so close… I want it, Sung-Sun. I want it so badly.”

There was a crazed obsession in Apacci’s eyes — an immense lust for strength. It wasn’t just about becoming a Vasto Lorde for Apacci now; it was to prove to Kazuya that she could also live up to her words. It was about pride.

Sung-Sun shared the ambition despite not admitting to it openly like Apacci. “I understand. Just try not to be too aggressive in front of Harribel-sama.”

“I know… I am not denying Harribel’s beliefs. This is a desperate time for us, and we need all the strength we can.”

“Desperate times call for desperate measures. I got you if Harribel goes to you about the sacrifices,” Sung-Sun remarked teasingly. “In exchange, help me become Vasto Lorde after you’re one.”

Apacci raised her head, her wide eyes regarding Sung-Sun. The snake’s tongue flickered as she narrowed her pupils.

“Do you think I’m joking?” Sung-Sun shook her head. “I’m serious, Apacci. I refuse to stay the weakest in the group.”

“Ah… I’ll try.”

“I just have to get Kazuya to make the same promise, and we’re good to go.”

Favorite if you liked it!

228