Chapter 93: The Eater versus the Protector
3.5k 7 165
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Stepping into the space between them, Sung-Sun announced, “I’ll be the referee then. Standing on this corner is Apacci. And on the other side is… What’s your name?”

“Nelliel Tu Odelschwanck. You can call me Nelliel,” Nelliel said. “Or Nel tu.”

“Nel tu,” Sung-Sun repeated with a tone of appreciation. “Such a sweet name.”

Nelliel’s brow furrowed behind her mask, unsure if Sung-Sun’s praise was genuine or dripping with sarcasm. “Can we… not fight? Fighting out of pure desire to compete will make you look animalistic… and childish.”

Sung-Sun had already clarified that Apacci wouldn’t eat her, making this whole conflict unnecessary. They had no reason to fight anymore.

“I’m an animal,” Apacci said with a laugh. “You’re not fighting for competition. You’ll be fighting for your life and those Hollows you want to protect.”

The mention of her cherished companions brought a surge of intensity to Nelliel’s gaze. Her resolve was clear — she would do whatever it took to protect them. “I’ll never back down from a fight if it is to protect what I hold dear.”

This courageous statement struck a chord with both Apacci and Sung-Sun. After all, everyone in the Inverse shared this sentiment about putting loved ones above their own selves. Except for Cirucci, who had no love for the aspect of sacrifice.

With a determined roar, Nelliel wielded her lance towards Apacci’s face, a wind of raw power howling in its wake. Apacci retaliated with a fierce swipe, parrying the lance, before using Sonído to appear above Nelliel and launch a downward kick. Nelliel employed her own Sonído, her figure blurring as she evaded the assault. Even for someone who detested violence, her mastery of Sonído was striking, rivaling even Apacci’s own.

Feeling Apacci closing in on her, Nelliel retaliated with a powerful kick using her hind legs. Apacci was forced to cross her arms in defense. The immense force sent her skidding backward, leaving her with numb arms.

“Fuck, what are those legs?”

Apacci wasn’t given any reprieve as Nelliel galloped towards Apacci, her lance enveloped in pink Reiatsu. Regaining her composure, Apacci skillfully weaved around Nelliel’s onslaught of vicious strikes. Nelliel’s centaur-like form gave her formidable strength, her kicks more powerful than her arms. So her attacks were not as threatening but Apacci still couldn’t afford to take them head-on.

Given their physical disparity, Apacci relied heavily on her intuition to avoid Nelliel’s attacks.

Beneath this overwhelming barrage, Nelliel launched a well-placed kick, sending the Arrancar skidding back. In the realm of close combat, Nelliel’s instincts reigned superior.

Annoyed, Apacci reached for her cuffs, but paused mid-motion. She wasn’t using her Zanpakutō against an Adjuchas who wasn’t even an Arrancar. “Where did you get that weapon?”

“In one of the ruins,” Nelliel responded, her eyes reflecting a fierce determination. She was far from daunted by the ongoing clash. “The lance complements my fighting style.”

After their brief exchange, the pair clashed once more. Nelliel’s fighting style was all about precisely striking an opponent’s vitals with her lance and using her muscular legs to deliver punishing blows. Apacci, without her Zanpakutō, adopted a more brute force approach, like that of a brawler.

Despite boasting higher Reiatsu and raw power, Apacci found herself on the back foot. Nelliel’s superior technique kept her on the defensive, preventing her from mounting any offense. It wasn’t a matter of battle experience but pure skill. Nelliel, despite her lack of battle experience, was simply outclassing Apacci.

The future #3 Espada showcased a natural talent and a keen intuition for battle that was absolutely mesmerizing.

Sung-Sun could hardly believe the scenario playing before her. “Woah, Apacci. She is destroying you.”

Kazuya’s enhancements, precious souls of a Vasto Lorde, and then being enhanced by Hōgyoku — yet Apacci couldn’t land an attack against an Adjuchas who wasn’t even particularly fond of battles. She could destroy Nelliel if she used her Zanpakutō and Resurrección but without them she stood no chance at beating Nelliel.

It was utterly humiliating.

“H-Hold up.” Flustered, Apacci called for a pause, the heat of embarrassment searing her ears. She stepped back and threw a murderous glare at Sung-Sun. “I was just testing her.”

“Suuuuuure.”

Nelliel eyed her opponent. “Do you wish to continue?”

“We’re just getting started, Nel.”

A red light started to gather on her forehead horn as she amassed an enormous amount of Reiryoku into a Cero. She unleashed the Cero Ray with a growl. This was her most powerful Cero in this form, second only to the enhanced Cero she could produce in her release state.

Nelliel calmly stood her ground as the devastating Cero approached. To the astonishment of Sung-Sun, who was preparing to intervene, Nelliel opened her mouth and swallowed the entire Cero Ray. A small burp echoed in the aftermath, as though she had simply digested the energy.

“What in the…?” Sung-Sun gasped. “Hey, that’s illegal.”

Apacci was left shocked. Even more when Nelliel opened her mouth and fired a pink Cero Ray that was more destructive than Apacci’s Cero. Apacci had no choice but to use Sonído to get out of its path, else she’d have been severely injured.

Nelliel turned her head to Sung-Sun. “Cero Double is one of my abilities. I eat Cero, enhance it with my own, then attack my opponent.”

Apacci blinked her eyes, still processing what just happened. “How did you learn that?”

“I didn’t. I sort of knew it the moment I opened my eyes as an Adjuchas.”

Apacci had never compared herself to Kazuya due to his anomaly status. But witnessing an Adjuchas effortlessly counter her powerful Cero attack was a harsh reminder of the world’s unfairness. Apacci’s Resurrección form only allowed her to fire an enhanced Cero, whereas Nelliel had the unique ability to turn her opponent’s Cero against them.

Moreover, Nelliel hadn’t even removed her mask yet. A chilling thought crossed Apacci’s mind; if Nelliel ever became an Arrancar, she was unsure if she could defeat her.

Gritting her teeth, she shot Nelliel a menacing glare. “You—”

She paused and so did others. They could feel a Reiatsu amidst Kazuya’s overwhelming Reiatsu. A Reiatsu that belonged to a class superior to Adjuchas — a Vasto Lorde.

Nelliel broke into a charge without a second thought, rushing to the cave.

—Her companions were in danger.

Favorite if you liked it!

165