Chapter 139: Reason
2.2k 7 135
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Grimmjow almost choked on the water when a familiar silhouette gracefully danced through the air and landed on a nearby hill. It was Nelliel, the centaur he had encountered in Hueco Mundo, but she now seemed like a completely different person. There was a raw intensity about her; she radiated an aura of dignity and authority, despite the fact her Reiatsu was very much concealed by her Gigai.

“Holy… what is a coward like her doing here?!”

Nelliel sauntered closer, her towering stature casting a shadow over him. “You’ve also evolved. Still an Adjuchas, though.”

“Still an Adjuchas? What the hell do—”

“She became a Vasto Lorde not long ago,” Kisuke interjected, materializing seemingly from nowhere. Tipping his hat ever so slightly, his eyes roamed the expansive underground, lips curling into a wry grin. The space, once reserved for his training and experiments, now became an orphanage for Hollows. “Nel-chan, welcome back and congratulations. You’ve proven yourself in many ways today. I’m proud of you!”

Yet, beneath the facade of enthusiasm, Kisuke was gripped by doubts about the growing power under Kazuya’s command. After all, two Vasto Lorde, a squad of eight Adjuchas, and the mysterious strength of Kazuya himself, could pose a great challenge to the Gotei 13. He had faith in Kazuya, but the cautious side of him whispered for a contingency should this power ever cloud Kazuya’s judgment.

Nelliel nodded politely. “Thank you, Kisuke Urahara.”

Grimmjow cracked his knuckles. “Kisuke Urahara, get the hell out of here. I’m in the mood to kick some Vasto Lorde’s ass.”

Nelliel’s lance moved threateningly close to Grimmjow’s throat. “You sought to consume me — a weak and beastly justification to kill someone. I’ll not pursue our encounter in Hueco Mundo since we serve the same person.”

Asking to get along with someone like Grimmjow would be foolish. So, avoiding a conflict with him was the second-best course of action.

Grimmjow snorted. “Like I care about that stuff. I don’t need a reason to kill someone.”

Nelliel pinned him down with a cold gaze. “Do whatever you want. Just don’t get in my way. I’ll not hesitate to put down a rampaging beast.”

“You woman.”

A tense silence hung between them. But before Grimmjow could make a move, the familiar swish of Kisuke’s paper fan playfully connected with the back of his head.

“Get Kazuya-san’s permission before fighting Nel-chan. Need I remind you about the punishments he listed?”

Grimmjow growled. “That guy… fuck, she’s not worth the hassle.”

Watching Grimmjow's retreating figure, Nelliel let out a quiet exhale. “Cazad—Kazuya said he’ll be back soon. I’ll rest in the meantime…”

The fight with Muramasa was mentally draining. She could use a good nap before Kazuya started her Arrancarification process.

“Rest as much as you need.”

Nelliel’s eyes fluttered open, as though rousing from a dream. Before her, Kazuya lounged casually on a chair, his lips curved into a sly grin, eyes twinkling with mischief as they met hers. The vast underground chamber was silent — he was her only company.

“Welcome back.”

“You’re strange,” she stated her genuine feelings. Even though she respected him, having someone watch her sleep was unsettling. “I meant that as an insult.”

He chuckled. “Twenty hours, Nelliel. It’s fascinating how even a Vasto Lorde can be so vulnerable.”

Of course, it was a lie to tease her. Nelliel barely slept for three hours.

“I trust you,” she replied matter-of-factly. “You had numerous opportunities to harm me. Yet, here I am, as alive as a Hollow can be.”

She had closed the power gap with him considerably, but the deep-rooted impressions wouldn’t alter easily. The memory of their initial encounter, his overwhelming Reiatsu that day, remained engraved on her heart.

“What if I’m a weirdo who takes pleasure in killing my closest allies?”

Nelliel crossed her arms. “If, by some miracle, you turn out to be a lunatic, I won’t retaliate. Given you once saved my life, it’s only fitting I permit you to end it.”

The noticeable shift in Nelliel’s demeanor didn’t slip by Kazuya. Perhaps it was her solo journey in Hueco Mundo or the result of her choice to go against her Aspect of Death — she was acting particularly cynical.

He shook his head. “Let’s get you amped up with Hōgyoku.”

“Hog… yoku?” Nelliel whispered with narrowed eyes. “It sounds like a person’s name.”

He only smirked in reply. With a wave of his hand, he channeled his Reiatsu into the orb clutched within hands, unsealing the Hōgyoku. Its radiant glow covered Nelliel, and as its luminescence fractured and dispersed, from the settling mist emerged Nelliel, holding a green katana — her Zanpakutō — in her right hand.

He nodded approvingly. Nelliel hadn’t diverged much from her anime appearance except for her Hollow Mask’s remnants remaining intact. Unlike Harribel and Kazuya, she hadn’t acquired any spiritual clothes. The criteria for obtaining the spiritual clothes remained a mystery, even after multiple Arrancarifications.

As Nelliel caught his lingering gaze, her eyes flew wide open. Hastily, she used her weapon to shield her breasts and crotch, though it proved to be an imperfect solution. Her Hollow form used to conveniently hide her behind armor and fur, but now, she was completely exposed.

{She made it sexier. Partner, did you notice anything strange about her?}

‘What exactly?’

{Her Hollow hole… She doesn’t have any.}

‘She’s like me, I think. We achieved our ‘wish’ and restored a part of ourselves.’

Nelliel’s Aspect of Death had always revolved around the pain of loss. In her own unique way, she had always strived to preserve life, taking numerous Hollows under her wing even in a place as ruthless as Hueco Mundo. Her soul, in many ways, was more human than many humans themselves. It was only natural she’d be cleansed of her past regrets.

“Do you… have anything to wear?”

“Take this.”

Nelliel caught the bag with nimble fingers, using it as an instant shield. She felt the weight of it, realizing it contained clothing. As he turned his back respectfully, she hurriedly adorned herself with the attire he’d provided.

The only reason he made her wait was to get some decent clothes for her.

He turned around and waited for the rustling sounds to settle before checking up on her.

Spoiler

[collapse]

{Sheesh. We gave her the drip.}

Nelliel dusted her sleeve and gave him a smile. “Dying, being reborn as beasts, and then returning to a form resembling humans with emotions and reason…”

“We clawed our way back to humanity. That means we earned our place in this world.”

She nodded at his confident statement. “I guess I owe most of my efforts to you.”

“Stay by Tier’s side and help her with her dream. That’s all I want from you.”

Her face took on a determined look. “It’s not just Harribel’s dream. I want to help other Hollows realize their former humanity and become like us. I want them to be fortunate like us.”

It was an absurd dream, but his unfathomable existence gave her a sliver of hope.

“Oh, by the way, feel free to stay at my place. I know you and Grimmjow don’t get along.”

She shook her head. “I was planning to visit my little ones. You don’t need to accompany me… I’ll hide my mask and blend into the crowd.”

An excited grin crept on her lips as she thought about walking between the living. She acted on her feelings and threw her arms around him. Squeezing him in her embrace, she laughed joyfully, as though sharing her happiness with him.

“It really feels nice to hug someone. Thank you, Cazador, for your compassion.”

Her mood swing caught him severely off-guard. Letting out a deep sigh, he rubbed her back. “Get moving already. I have a lot of work to do.”

{Liar. You’re enjoying the moment. It’s written all over your face.}

‘How is that my fault? Besides, I have to meet Izumi. There’s also the little ghost girl. Apacci too.’

{Don’t forget our Zanpakutō practice and fixing Cirucci. That's also important.}

‘Zanpakutō training is the first thing on my schedule tomorrow.’

135