Chapter 170: Field Trip (I)
1.7k 8 97
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 170: The Field Trip (I)

Prior to the field trip, students were tasked with drawing lots. A trio would be formed by students of matching numbers. Kazuya was familiar with the rules, but most of Class 1 drew their lots without a clue. He, of course, didn’t keep his group in the dark.

Luck seemed to favor Kazuya and Toshiro as they ended up in the same group. On the other hand, Momo and Renji, with their mismatched numbers, found themselves separated into different groups.

Toshiro couldn’t help but shoot a glare at Renji, who stared at his lot with envy. “Shoo. It was my luck.”

“Blast,” Renji cursed. “I’ll be stuck with randoms.”

Toshiro smirked. “You can handle it alone.”

“As if they’ll let me do that.”

Momo walked up from student to student, inquiring about their lot numbers. At last, she found the person with her desired ticket — a girl about as tall as Renji with menacing eyes.

Momo pointed at the ticket in the girl’s hand. “Can we please exchange?”

The girl’s gaze drifted down to Momo. “Why, Hinamori-san? Do you understand the point of—” She paused, her eyes flickering wide. “Never mind… you can take it.”

Momo exchanged lots with the girl and happily skipped over to Kazuya’s group. “What are the odds we three are in the same group?”

Not only did she subtly coerce the girl with her Reiatsu, but she also had the audacity to claim it as a coincidence. She had almost reached his level of shamelessness

Toshiro shook his head, a wry smile playing on his lips. “Momo, please get some help.”

“What? Why are you being mean to me, Shiro?”

“Whatever. Forget I said anything.”

Kazuya stepped onto the open grounds, his eyes widening at the sight of Nanao and Rangiku standing before the grand Senkaimon door. With two 6th-year students as assistants, they looked every bit the authority figures they were.

{Rangiku too? One Vice-Captain was already an overkill. Now they’re sending two.}

‘Did Shunsui send Rangiku to protect Nanao?’

{The only reasonable explanation I can think of.}

Yoruichi also sensed something amiss but she couldn’t convey her thoughts in the silence. A silence that shouldn’t be present with thirty plus students in the same place. Nanao’s Reiatsu made the air so oppressive that nobody dared utter a word. Even Rangiku’s friendly smile alone failed to make the students feel at ease.

Nanao’s gaze swept over them, icy and detached. “Some of you may know about the war that plagued Japan a few years ago. The high amount of deaths have led to the creation of numerous powerful Hollows. In lieu of the danger, the Academy has assigned us to be your guides.”

Rangiku casually brushed her breasts, looking displeased with the heat. “Kids, don’t worry. We’ll send any Hollow packing if that’s your concern. Now, be good students and split into groups of three according to the lots you drew earlier.”

As the students formed their trios, murmurs and glances exchanged, Rangiku continued with her usual confidence, “Your seniors have already gone to the Living World to make a barrier around a suitable area. Each group will engage in combat with the dummy Hollows roaming inyour assigned section.”

Nanao glanced at Rangiku. “Every group has to fight the dummy Hollows. None of us will support you in any way. If your group feels overwhelmed, exit the section immediately. You’ll be safe but the academy may expel your group for sheer lack of competence.”

She didn’t mince her words. If three of them couldn’t cooperate to take out a dummy Hollow, then they wouldn’t be able to last a week in their job. They were better off training a couple more years outside the academy to hone their skills.

Rangiku crossed her arms, nodding seriously. “Hold your composure and apply everything you’ve learned so far to the combat. It’ll be a breeze, I promise.”

Momo suddenly raised her hand and waved from the crowd. “Vice-Captain Matsumoto, can we leave after finishing our assigned section? I’d like to roam the city…”

“No,” Nanao rejected sternly. “You aren’t going there to sightsee—”

Rangiku playfully nudged Nanao. “Ara, jealous Momo-chan got a date?”

Nanao had spent a week growing closer to Momo. Rangiku tried to stop Nanao from undoing the results of her hard work.

Nanao scoffed. “I’m acting according to my duty.”

“Hai hai.” Rangiku giggled and winked at Momo. “You can leave on one condition. Take that lad Kazuya with you.”

It was a clear show of favoritism but no student had the courage to speak it out loud.

Momo beamed a smile. “Thank you so much, Vice-Captain Matsumoto.”

“Have fun on your outing, Momo-chan!”

Nanao huffed and turned around, displeased with Rangiku mixing her duty with personal relationships. At her will, the majestic doors of the Senkaimon slid open. “Let’s go.”

The students followed Nanao’s lead and vanished into the dimensional door.

Momo pushed Toshiro before she turned and waved at Kazuya. “Come with us!”

“Hmm.”

{Momo schemed with Rangiku behind our backs.}

‘An elaborate scheme to isolate me. She must be planning on confessing.’

{Be careful. She might stab you or take you to a dark dungeon.}

‘I’m a veteran at dealing with crazies. Besides, she gave me a huge opportunity.’

Coming out of the power plant, Kazuya observed the area. The academy chose a massive power plant for combat training. The power plant had been out of service due to Japan’s earlier conflicts. The massive structures served as a vantage point for the 6th year students, allowing them to take early action against any Hollow.

‘Nobody is hiding there. At least I don’t sense anyone.’

{Aizen might be on his way.}

As Kazuya was lost in thoughts, two Shinigami stopped before him. A lean built young man with sharp eyes and messy black hair. The black choker around his neck and the black ‘69’ tattoo on his left cheek revealed his identity — the future Vice-Captain, Shūhei Hisagi.

In the current timeline, Shūhei had earned somewhat of a reputation as a 4th year student for his talent.

Accompanying Shūhei was a petite girl with relatively short brown hair. Part of her hair was tied up at the right side of her head with a hairclip consisting of two red pearls.

For Kazuya, the cute student was a walking red flag. In the original timeline, she’d die two years later during Momo’s first training mission. Her presence here gave him an ominous feeling.

{Is the timeline fixing itself to avoid repercussions?}

‘Could be. We have to be cautious.’

Meanwhile, Shūhei was appraising Kazuya just as he was being appraised. “You’ve made quite a name in your first year. I wish I saw your fight in person like Hotaru did.”

While his tone was overly serious, Shūhei seemed inspired by Kazuya’s courage to fight a Captain.

Hotaru nodded seriously. “It was an amazing show of techniques. How much did you train to achieve those results?”

Before seeing his battle with Soi Fon, Hotaru felt satisfaction in being one of the more gifted students. Compared to this year’s Class 1, she felt extremely ordinary.

“Twenty years,” Kazuya answered with a shrug, leaving Hotaru stunned. “Or more. I don’t remember.”

Hotaru widened her eyes. “I expected at least a hundred years. Well, this is how geniuses are I suppose.”

Shūhei placed a hand on Hotaru’s shoulder. “Anyway, I’m Shūhei Hisagi, 4th year.”

“Hotaru Kanisawa, also a 4th year,” Hotaru said and stretched her hand for a handshake, which he accepted. “We’re here to take you to your assigned section.”

“Thank you.” Momo smiled. “I can’t wait to fight some Hollows.”

Toshiro gripped his Zanpakutō’s hilt. “Makes the two of us.”

At the same time.

Over a dozen screens flickered in the otherwise dark room. Sitting casually on a chair, Aizen calmly observed the live footage of the abandoned power plant, his gaze particularly affixed upon the silver-haired student. It was a pity he couldn’t hear Kazuya’s voice through the experimental screens.

“They invited Vice-Captain Matsumoto at the last second. Isn’t that interesting, Gin?”

Gin was standing behind Aizen, his hands concealed in his long bell sleeves. His ever-so mischievous smile faltered for merely a moment. “Some people’s intelligence grows weaker with age. Matsumoto-san is the prime example.”

Tosen, who stood beside Gin, stared at the screens. He was blind, yet he often mimicked actions of those around him on an unconscious level. “Sir, when do we start?”

Aizen’s lips curled into a cold smile. “Soon, Tosen.”

97