Arc 01: Now what do I do in this place? {skippable/worldbuilding}
58 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
This is essentially a worldbuilding heavy chapter. Arthur's rambling slowed thoughts of the story's backstory. Sorry not sorry. Skip it if you don't like them; the main thing is, it's filled with a lot of Arthur's going through thoughts while he's subtly observing things through portals, being blasted away. Yes that's right; this chapter of 9900+ words all takes place in the span of mere minutes.

PoV: Arthur.

The view into the aerie is now stone still, but for the little one ― my child too, I guess ― mewling from the nest for his hunger to get sated by a mother. Echoes of my own catkin wife pleading with me to take a turn to feed our son, moves me-

-but this guy's mom is so pissed she's not gonna feed him, until I'm dead in her eyes-

'Dragon lady' is in effect dragon queen. As she told me before ― she's the first and only daughter of the previous queen now dead by a former hero; but now is a youngest of all dragon matriarchs in the world of Pernam. Her name, she told me too, is Indaba ... and it has some meaning she isn't ready to tell a human yet. She couldn't trust me or the cats who summoned me to Pernam yet somehow we brokered a subtle peace I am hoping to draw into friendship between us. A summoned one ― me ― who got ordered to slay a dragon ― her ― instead chose to bond with her? Ha, only in Pernam.

Peronaam Doraagon ― 'world of the ancient dragon' ― is the world's true name. Only, the truth the dragon's numbers were in the single digits is ... unknown to the rest of Pernam. She's the matriarch of all dragons, and for good reason. Decades before the catkin summoned one like me to kill those like her, her mother taught her many of the tasks the dragons perform. They manage the mana flows and ley lines of the world. It's a dragon's right ― a gift from Six of Ten, a goddess of Pernam ― to be the balance of the world; yet the catkin wanted to see them slaughtered!

She's also the third (and last) fertile female of her kind ― with only two fertile males with whom she could ... mate. One of those males is her brother ... and the other is mental ... which could be a difficult situation in itself, even for the dragon race. I had thought to offer, if a human genetic donation could suffice ― but dared not yet ask. Only ... the one time, I was ... curious-

I look away from this portal. It might be a while before her return; so anyway a dragonet should be hardy enough to live. Instead, I move to another a scene which might show me a closer view of the city, of the last world ― a view from her bedchamber, across to terraced patio. A pair of gossamer thin silk curtains hung in its open way but held draped to either side, to provide this city skyline view of the catkin matriarch's capitol. It's one of the two portals which may show the best view of outside this queen's palace. A second nearby portal view shows the queen's bath chamber, lavish as the cat's queendom likes or prefers. The queen bathes herself in a marble tub, in an excessive cloud of bubbles ― not knowing the hell to come, the form of her end by my fault.

It's only been mere seconds, since I entered the realm and found myself in front of this portal node, and its view to the Indaba's aerie and nest. Mere seconds from the time she flapped her big wings and fiery breath to launch herself toward where she thought I should be. It's too much, I've done too much in the past ... I can neither see this nor force myself to look away. I must see it. Instead, I allow my trained mind to 'shut down' the emotional sphere, so I can watch, and then process it, sometime later. I ... I'll owe myself this much, at least. I let my mind wander, go through the few memories of who or what I am. Take in the state of my realm; think of each realm minion and portal node and building-

-let only logic survive-


I am of course, Arthur Franklin King. Yes I do get the irony of living on a modern Earth with a name which infers a monogram, 'AFK'. I have heard all the jokes. Nothing you could say could shock me or even budge me when it turns to jokes about me ― er, my initials. In my younger days I found it funny for a few days; so did the more tech savvy fellow children. Then the reality of it set in ― a biological father who named me, no longer present. Screw you old man, screw you-

I get teased lots with no mercy ― at least by those who got the acronym. Pretty much everyone, after my bully starts spreading it around the playground ― but little did they know ― this would in truth be the silent way of my life ― being 'AFK'. I didn't socialize, didn't go outside my own shell; I coasted ... on what little I did do.

As funny as some kids may have thought, the acronym does not refer to being away from computer hardware ― but being away from the allure for computers in general. But I knew how to use one ... I even had one too. Any kid of school age did back then ― either at the whim of a parent, grandparent, or from his/her own hard work. For me, it's through my own labor of side jobs as a child. From mowing lawns, handling paper routes, working odd jobs in the neighborhood ... actually it's not hard at all to just do some things and save up what's given you. Sometimes it takes hard work; I'm fine with it ― got me free ... from him.

I had a hard life as a young boy. Raised between an alcoholic father and a beaten mother. My father did not even want his kids to have computers; because why save money or spend cash to purchase computers ... when all of my cash would feature as his weekly beer money. So if we count heaps of beer cans, then we may have been 'rich'. Mom got the worst of his mean temper (maybe); I hated hearing her cry. But at least my two sisters and I did spend time with neighbors ― still AFK ― until a certain event, where we faced a tragedy.

Traditionally poor, losing a father ― due to his drinking and driving when he should not ― while I was in my mid teens. My mother, two younger twin sisters, and I ― we got through life the hard way but our lives were not done. Even if others in my grade got vacations, I instead had things to do, to keep a family going. But fate it seemed had something in store for me, even if I was ... no, if my whole family got so poor.

I did well enough in school to pass, though without honors or merits ― nor did I want any. No; I could not afford to excel but get by, spending my major efforts on small jobs and sometime pitiful incomes. Doesn't mean I'm not smart; I learn all I need and then some; only I don't care to focus on the schoolwork. This just did not interest me, falling in line of a broken educational system; I hated it yet I tolerated it because it's just a damn school, is all. And especially did not care to continue into some collegial place who would betray their own students.

Graduation. Didn't move out because it made more sense to stay home, reduce expenses, be a 'post millennial' who remains at home for due reason. Got a better job, or two jobs, and kept throwing myself into them to keep my family going first. Got a girlfriend; she also was in the same life patterns, though we were both so worn down in the patterns of life we didn't get so much 'quality time'. It's fine, we both already decided we were going to be celibate and chaste, keeping ourselves single until the time came we could do all those things without worry. Well, I say this, but ... we did get pretty good at kissing and touching.

I'd made it to the age of twenty and Jenny to twenty two, somehow figuring myself to be more mature than a physical age. Even since turning thirteen I'd told people I was fifteen, or sixteen even. Just add a couple of years to my age and people should believe it, right? BELIEVE IT! It fit; I had taken on a lot just to support a family which was missing one parent. I had been filling up my young life doing the responsible thing but not having much of a personal life. Were I to have somehow got into college (or even applied to one) then maybe my life could have been so different. But ― I hated a whole college mill; the thought of fattening the wallets of 'college overlords' did not appeal to me. Still does not appeal to me ― those moneygrubbing leeches, little better than the so called vampire cults in some fantasy worlds.

A person can still get career skills or explore job and trade options without ever setting foot within a university. Life alone teaches enough. I'm fine by my skills; and since now ending up in not one but two worlds away from those, I have seen how different things can be. Guild structures, craftsmanships and trades and merchant associations, and far more than a young man from Earth knew.


I remember all the times I heard mom sobbing in the night. She missed him, even his drunk or loud or slapping part too, maybe. I did not. If I had to do it all over again I would still have 'fixed' his work car the same way, on the same day!

One week after turning nineteen is when I started dating the shy but mild coworker, a girl who also had her own trauma. I could not say she was the love of my life but I did honestly like her and want to see her happy. Not a great reason to pursue romance, but a reason to just ... not be alone. This was, perchance, the closest my family life came to 'normal' ― or so I thought it only on this level.

About eight months of dating later, I found out ― actually Jenny admitted to me ― she's been seeing another guy. She felt lonely and tired and wanted someone to do those things with and I was always at work. But she did not know ― I was saving up to apply for 'our first apartment'!

This wasn't the first betrayal in my life, but it's the one which struck me the hardest. I grew more sad and less social, though I did fulfill my work duties, with my almost clinical detachment. After one night of work, a couple coworkers took me to a party and pushed me at a ― uh I suppose she could have been a stripper, or lonely slutty girl. They were saying 'you really need it dude', and 'she is like your sex slave for the night, go with her okay'. The night didn't end well, because I started out crying when the moment started but then ... did the angry sex with her. Now since I think about it, she probably went away crying too. It had been her first time but she had expectations of how it should go? And I failed her?

On the night of turning twenty is when I finally got summoned. I'd lasted through a solemn party ― a small group of my mom, twin sisters, my new girlfriend, some family and friends; and I'd helped mom clean up and start washing dishes. Then I volunteered to run down the street for ... something or other, I don't know what now; but at the time mom needed it, so-

-ah, I recall now; some small bottle of aspirin for mom's headaches! Anyway, I was walking back home when I crossed an intersection with the light indicating I had the right to cross. Some voice yelled out right behind me, I turned to look back at whatever person yelled, then ― felt an impact which threw me.

You probably guessed it. An intense 'fast moving truck'. A damn truck is what did it; I can't hit a truck as hard as it can hit me, so ... to Pernam I got called. Then before a woman who told me, sorry you cannot go back; but if you accept this offer, then maybe you can return to Earth as some other existence later. Shocked and at her mercy, I ran through all the thoughts someone in this situation would go through ― more than just the stages of grief. And one part of my thoughts were, I would not let myself be living 'AFK' anymore, not if I could help it-

I felt pissed off at everyone, at everything; hell even pissed off at this glowing warrior woman in the sexy battle leathers who still held me in her arms. But strangely she had some comfort and compassion for a guy in my spot ... so confusing, and angering, and back to confusing. But she didn't let go, she didn't hate me as I hated myself.


The summon came but I was unprepared, even if a warrior goddess told me the truth. I admit the summoning magic also regressed me back a handful of years again ― five to be exact, back to the time of turning fifteen. Why to then? I don't know, she just did. Maybe it's to bring me to a state of being at the peak of physical status, the peak of my puberty. In any case I was not about to waste this generous benefit if I could help it.

I ended up on such a world with magic so powerful and especially the slave magic so dominant too, I could not escape it; the goddess did not have this in mind. But she had given me some hints in how to break it and taught me an ability to focus all my conscious thought to any one goal. I will say it took me a few years of trying to get out of the collar; in the meantime I was still living AFK, only at someone else's demand. Even so, I endured my mental practice of what the goddess clued. I still have the ability, even after the slave magic went 'poof' and faded out from me ... mostly-

Then, breaking the collar. I did what they thought 'impossible' ― I stayed as their summoned hero ― more or less because I knew the pain and suffering of the people. Anyway it made sense to maintain the contacts and the access to their resources. If I left, the people could not have somebody to do the tasks larger than them. I am their summoned hero, like it or not ― but I still lived life 'AFK' from accepting my own success. But also I started growing attached to some of the people there. The lovely daughter of this queen, for one. Well maybe it's a beginning of my sometimes admittedly perverse tendencies ― to have someone this gorgeous, tell me she needs me too. No; maybe it's all the women who told me this as well, all of those who threw themselves at me.

But oh, dear goddess of any world, she was a beautiful woman. I am not kidding; she gets a rise out of me even thinking of her, here and now. I didn't just fall in love with her only for her looks, but also because she likes me too, because we talk, for so much time. Seems she was literal minded; and while I wasn't the 'straight A' type in school on Earth, at least I remembered and understood a lot. I shared what I knew of Earth lore, which seemed to be a marketable thing in their world. So, she loves me for sharing so many details without cost other than the time of its telling. Well; maybe it wasn't love at first glance, but she did like and even respect me at first. Love grew as we continued being part of each other's lives.

-our first kiss ... she even tried to fill the void in my heart, when she found me crying. I could only say how much I miss my family. I missed my mother and twin sisters. Mostly teasing the younger twin sisters-

Yes the princess did fall for me too. At the beginning of a second whole year of my being there, we set latent wedding plans, with a promise to solidify it after I'd conquered the demon lord. And after this, the dragon woman, in the fifth year. Next, the queen arachne ― seriously why on fantasy worlds do these kingdoms always have to be fighting some demon horde or enemy kingdom or monstrous race!

Or, why do those things always get pushed on summoned heroes, like me!


Anyway ... in short, the thing I was not prepared to endure ― I spent nine years in the other world ... before I got pulled here. Nine whole years plus four fifths of a tenth. But those catkin always summon on the decade, so I was already an 'old summon' at an active twenty five years old but appearing like late nineteen. But let me tell you about some of those nine plus years of adventure ― It's all been more than just interesting.

If I'm being honest ― in my summoning, some deity put some serious charismatic boons upon me, to last until I will find someone to settle down with. Because I cried so hard over my 'broken heart'; my goddess wanted me to start back to where I'd said I thought things should have gone better. Fifteen is about the time my drunk father had his 'accident' and ... maybe this should have been a pivotal year in my life, but wasn't, for some reason.

In my sobbing while in her arms, she took note how I gave up all happiness while working in behalf of a mother, and sisters. She may be goddess of some martial domain, but I won't deny this charisma bonus hasn't been fun to use, or even of vital importance in defeating enemies. While trying to live in the collar at first and then breaking the slave magic, I did not misuse the charismatic boosts ― not as if I didn't have any opportunities.

A lot of women chased me, in those days; and I did have fun. When I married, I saw tears from single women across the kingdom, across all ages and races- if I could have one woman, I could have had a thousand women. Got offers from some to have a fling without the princess knowing ― but my wife was scary, she seems to know all those things even as women offer them. I could have picked them young or old, human or beast or demon, even male if I wanted- heck no. Screw such a lifestyle, I wanted one wife. Just one man me, one woman her.

And it's not just one year, but two and a half years more, after pledging troth ― I'd finally conquered the demon lady, I got into her castle the last time. It seemed she liked me too, or had fallen for me. She'd been watching from far off but also understood my predicament, as while between battles she somehow came to me talking like she and I were already mates. Maybe our forces fighting was truly just a mating rite or foreplay to her? Or who knows, maybe she though 'if we are supposed to try killing each other soon, why can we not have some fun first?' Though I could not be with someone until after she's no problem ― I say honestly that's the only point I did question my loyalty to my princess as a wife candidate. The demon lord was a beautiful woman too.

Even so, she deserved her own happiness; I didn't have any major solution, except agree to help her in her relocation ― I don't know where, maybe to another world. All I saw of her last day of being there, she steps through a portal I helped her to make; then she was gone from Pernam, forever. She did not tell me where it went; maybe someday I can find out ― but I do have enough compassion to wish her well ... wherever she is.

But then I'd also made a promise to the princess' mother the queen, to deal with one challenge after another. The one dragon lady ― the same one who had caused me such grief now ― which took some effort and ended in a deal in this sense, too. I am not going to spoil it much, until I get around to describe this event again. But in my magic learning, I'd gained some abilities I could teach her to alleviate her own hunger for the villagers' cattle. The core reason for her being hunted would truly lessen from this action. And thus, she went more or less 'hidden' to the world, as I did too at times. She also came to like me as well, as I did stop in to see her, from time to time.

From this perpetual 'all these women want me' ― I grew to thinking I could sneak a peek at some of their lives. Even having my wife, I still watched ... uh, well, too many women. Even from holding onto the nuptial promise to my princess; I saw nothing wrong in stealing a glance at pretty women everywhere I went. Saved a lot of people, tried to not hurt anyone innocent, but maybe my peeking didn't help me much. I gotta stop it all, somehow ... and I know it won't be easy. How exactly does one remove a 'gift' charisma boon, granted by a deity?

I let power go to my head. I had so much power, next to no responsibility but my own imperative; and nobody there had any way to challenge me even if my dirty habits got shown. I think now I should have had someone to keep me on a straight course. My princess might have been this, in part; but in truth, for a time ― it would have been ... a catkin girl, named Keriann-


Short summary, recap all I said before now. I lived to twenty on Earth; died and summoned and age regressed to fifteen on Pernam; lived on Pernam for a good nine years before this. Even if I look only 'nineteen', it's because of the charismatic boon, and reduced aging; I'll age at merely half the rate, to preserve a 'healthy body' and 'good looks'.

Back to life on Pernam. A slave's life there is different than on Klee ― in part because of an absolute nature of slavery magics; a magical 'force' permeates everything, supports everything, it causes even life to flourish. Masters can treat slaves 'humanely' for strict obeisance backed by the strength of a collar. Well ... not like there weren't some who might play rough with the slaves ― but those who did, were far and few between, from what I knew.

Now on to describe the year by year, play by play- aah okay you don't want too much of a description, just the highlights. Honestly it would be tiring to even remember all of the events I've gone through-

Year one ― collared and in testing or training for both battle and magic skills. I faced minor battles around castle lands at the guidance of an adventurer's guild master asked to train me. (Also extends to year two, but who's counting.) All pain gained in training only slowly paid off as I got into a state of physical fitness. Even if I wanted to focus and excel at the magic stuff, I still had to maintain a fit body. So I did. It also helped the Head Wizard was near retirement ... or maybe was it death? Seriously, a cat man can live six times the normal lifespan, to his third century ... just training magic?

Year two ― I switch more or less onto training magic, more than physique. Also a lot of pain, though mostly due from studies which got so intense. Head Wizard Neytaan must have seen my value ... or maybe he just did not trust his own wizards like he could trust someone new to this world. I got the heaviest workloads in studying under him than I'd ever had in my whole life. I hated it yet I also loved it. I got to see parts of the Wizard's Tower which most of the others did not ― and that's saying something. The end of this year is when the princess approached me with anything more than questions of my past; she'd became interested in me. Also, in the middle of the year I finally learned how to break the collar. I chose to first hide it ― then after they learned of it, to stay ― even when others thought I'd either take off and leave them to their own doom, or thought I'd turn on them.

Year three ― the dawn of the real adventures, beyond just trials and challenges; an increase in my skills, and an increase in what others expected of me.

The queen starts seeing more serious reports of movement in demon lands, still far enough off to not worry ― yet she did. This is a first 'great royal quest' she gave me ― to actually go spy upon the demon lands somehow. I protested an act of espionage. But when all got said and done, she had Guild Master Terlin call his team of ten adventurers to go along, as a party. I had romances with two of the women (at least) on the team, but they both were fine with it. Also in this time the princess was drawing near me, and she prop- well she offered something of value, since I was staying a hero. So I had her interest to contend with too. But at least from an end of a third year, is when I first built this realm. Though it started so minimalist I had little else but a small fountain, private cabin, and spare shed ― then I summoned Ceevah. Gimu was soon to follow.

Year four ― the adventuring in and around the demon lands gets serious.

From the year before it had been a lot of little hunting here and there, sneaking around. This year is about heading to the demon king's castle, which was so clearly shown to many kilometers. Actually found ourselves within the great demon city, just tens of meters from its gate. Like ― we stand within a demon lord's home city to gape at this castle, and receive an invitation to come in and be the first guests in forever. We went inside- That's when I found out, it's not a demon lord, but a demon lady. She'd been watching from this exact castle we approached, seeing all our movements in her domain ― and laughing at our mishaps, mostly my charismatic follies.

I did place one of my portals in her castle as I thought she wasn't looking. In the early days I had to unlock each and every portal slot, one at a time; and from the extended travels and actions, a new portal got unlocked. Just when stepping into the demon capital, too. I thought heck, why not here, I might as well place it in the demon lady's castle, then visit again. But later I found out she could see it all along; she left it as an 'open invitation for more' if I'd want to return at any time ... but alone, without the team. In the end, she refills our supplies, slips me a freebie gift (and some demon tongue), then told us ― 'go home'.

Which we did ― I'm not sure how to top it, if we were to stay, or force a fight. Back home my queen of course was at first mortified, then broke out in laughter. Still, my quest was to return; me and ten other smelly sweaty guys trudging through the grasses and forests and- yeah, yeah, I know. My second appearance in the demon woman's castle led her to think I am 'smitten' with her. She did like me too ― it's why she sent us packing the first time instead of fighting.

This time, however, she's willing to fight back too, at least to show her own combat strength or prowess. I didn't suspect until a week of matches against her in the tournament style ends ― combat is either a mating ritual, or showing me how much 'out of her league' we were. Didn't stop all of us guys from full efforts on the combat matches; but at least she honorably healed our damages and even fed us. She said, we were the first non demon kind who visited her ancestral home like this, in the written demon histories. I figure it's a special event to her ― to meet us. Either this, or a polite lie-

Anyway. Return home; reassert to a princess she and I are still a pair; and practice both physical and mental skills like mad. I'd intended to go back, at least once I could be certain to actually be on the same level of a playing field with a demon queen. She knew as well as I, I had to return someday; she even kissed me before I left her castle ... as a teaser for when I did return. Through the portal she sometimes whispered intimate things-

The demon lady also challenges me to be her mate, if I ever got tired of playing with my 'kitty cat'; except, she didn't say it so politely. And being back before the queen and princess, one of my party members told her of the demon kiss thing ― that's when Princess Nyandra doubled down with an ultimatum, I marry her 'or else'. Whether I was ready or not to face a demon lady, I had to return once more and finish a fight. Craziest week of travel across their kingdom I'd ever had before I am so not wanting to repeat this on a new world!

At the end of this fourth year, I finally returned to the demon woman's kingdom, her castle, and ... no greeting, no obstacle, nothing. Going inside with the adventuring group, we were finally ambushed. We all got what fight we were expecting at the first. Fought through the castle like madmen; though I warned the others: do not damage the castle, and especially not the load bearing structures. Oh ― I hate the lizardkin Rrulfo, he did not listen to warnings; he is likely still buried under the demon's observatory-

At the end of besieging this castle, we ― the three of us left alive by this time ― faced her directly. She knew she could beat us still; we knew this too, but still we had to go. Even so, at the end it's just her and I, battling off and on, and chatting ― more her flirting with me than anything ― but finally we struck up a deal. By then she told how she'd go elsewhere, so no human or cat could reach her; if I or others will always hunt her, she's ready to pack up and go. I was fine with it, and in a strange way this fulfilled the quest, too.

Year five ― getting tired of the &*$#% adventuring, but more quests heaped on me. The year began; the princess and I ready to marry, but 'Her Highness Queen VicNyanne Nyaga' again sent me a quest. This time, 'take on the dragon lady'; off I went, kept away from the princess for yet another short while-

In the end, the answer came from all of the learning I had done, while reading books and scrolls kept within the archives and libraries of the kingdom. I'd somehow gained an expertise to help the dragon lady, with her diet. I lent her a copy of a manuscript which taught how to make ... this. Yeah I know. I gave something so mighty to a dragon who already seemed so mighty. But with it, the dragon lady finally understood ― I mean her no harm.

Did a lot more adventuring on my own too, in the latter part of the fifth year. Met some strange and not so strange people; especially of Keriann's catkin tribe. Then of course the one arachnid queen ― and this time, it's she which resists me. I couldn't understand why the charisma did not work on her, so I kinda hung out with her too, for a couple hours of intense battle. Didn't change her feelings, and no I still do not know why. Turns out her hatred of the humanoid individuals sent before me to 'end her' ... this fact is the reason. Even when I chose to 'introduce' my dragon lady friend for conversation ― still no dice, so it meant a hard fought battle on my hands. Sad to say, spider lady was the only quest I actually filled ... by killing the chief target.


And ... that's more than the first half of my time in another world, Pernam. Years six through nine were more of my stepping back from being such a popular hero to the catlike people, or even of just one land. Call it my self imposed 'retirement', in the moment. I wanted to focus on a few other things ― one of them, the relationship with the princess ― and let yet others find a balance, an equilibrium. We traveled, saw the world, explored the extents of the magic around it; took the princess with me on the journeys from then on.

Near the end of year seven, Princess Nyandra and I returned back to her homeland, and we took residence in a new mansion on the outskirts of the capital. It gave me a sense of peace and separation from the city life, as well as allowed her to be within a day's travel to see her family. In year eight was when I found the wounded body of my pseudo sister Kerianne, left discarded by her own clan.

The final and ninth year there started with the birth of my son with Nyandra who she calls Tomara. With human mates, her race cannot produce the usual four or five kittens just one at a time. But even so, she was so eager to please, and happy to do so much for us. Only during the time of my wife's pregnancy is when I first started playing with the dragon lady on the side. I think Nyandra knew but never said a word about it; I still don't know what she thought I was doing. But honest; I did not know a thing like what happened, could happen. Dragons dames lay eggs, it's certain; and she's a definite dame.


After this, my wife and I survived a death threat and an assassination attempt by the 'pro human agenda' group, who got tired of the cats being in power. It even spilled out to threaten the matriarchy too. Sort of like a 'rebel mob' who seeks to overturn a self perpetuating form of governance. I wouldn't have stood in their way so much, except ... in their long term plans ― they targeted my wife, and my child. All I shall say, without spoiling how it turned out, is ― I believe it knocked their agenda down to size.

Also spent a lot time through this last year on things in the Wizard's Tower. Experimenting and learning what things the Chief Wizard made or studied in his own younger years, since the old cat of a wizard was slowly losing his mental clarity. He didn't so much tell me to take over for him when he went, as he said I should try to keep the lesser wizards in check. So hmm; even the wizard cats can still be so territorial in their studies and practice of magic? The last thing we built is the mana equivalent of an atom bomb, a way to 'split the mana stream' and harness it for a more self sustaining power source.

And of course halfway into the last year there ... is just now, where I again got summoned to another world.


An initial start of my means to build the closet to hold a portal too, came through lots of adventures and misadventures too. I'd learned of the realm project's existence through personal study, then developed it without my captors' knowledge. In short, this is how and where and why I escaped a bond of slavery ... I got my own realm, or haven. A home away from the true home I want to see again ― a radial disc of land, both a specified depth of soil and a specified depth of atmosphere. Essentially, a realm is ... not of a world, but created as an interchange, between worlds, tied together by portal nodes-

The precise center of this realm is a radial disc of fitted stones four meters across. It comes with a matching series of even more stones forming paths from the center to an outer circle of roads. The central stone or 'keystone' of this core area also exists as the control node for my whole realm, as it functions for other realms ― if such exist.

My portal node network is a series of sixteen stone monoliths, each one holding a separate portal node, each one facing toward the core spot in this realm. A portal node is a structure of condensed mana infused stone which holds a portal tying the realm to a world location where placed. Portals can have constraints on placement or ever who or what is allowed through ― a portal node is like a computer mainframe, which runs the spell 'source code' indefinitely. This ring of nodes are actually at a ten meter radius; each stone is two meters wide but stands two meters tall. If portal node stones are wider or taller, the destination portal nodes on the other ends could be larger to match.

In some sense, I should have larger nodes on this side; I never know when I'll need larger portals too. Who knows; maybe someday I'll need to drive a stagecoach or caravan of wagons through one into here or something. But anyway, the position of my portal stones feel ... suboptimal. More like ― if I made each monolith larger and taller, I could double up the portals upon sides of the monoliths and have half as many. Yeah I should. I'll get on it ― someday. When I'm not feeling this day.


A realm expands at an infinitesimally small rate ― or at a more pronounced rate by interaction of its owner in a world around them, outside of a realm. A silent link always exists through which the host's exposure to certain magics or feats of activity will 'boost' the realm size ― or add to its mana stores capacity somewhat. But as a realm grows ... so too does it both allow and require more to operate.

One part of its growth is the number of portals which can be 'unlocked'. Another part is the number of summoned minions which can be summoned ― or will randomly spawn if the realm is not at its capacity. Both of these have their pluses, minuses, benefits, and costs. But the most notable part I focused on completing was the portal nodes, each time one became available to unlock.

Development of each portal node comes at great cost. The first one is always free ― being generated at the time of the realm's creation, and a connection from the 'mortal world' in which I called it forth. Through a maximum of sixteen portal nodes at this stage of realm development ― I've got most of them, at least. I can run by them and see ― they're still the same as the previous day, the last time I saw them.

Spoiler

- #01: Year 03 ending ― to my assigned room within the Wizard's Tower dorm room.
- #02: Year 04 Q1 end ― to the demon queen's bedroom inside the demon lord's castle, which is in a foreign land away from VicNyanne's matriarchy.
- #03: Year 04 Q2 mid ― to Queen VicNyanne's private bedroom, placed after he feared she would order his execution if she knew he was free.
- #04: Year 04 Q2 end ― to Queen VicNyanne's private bathroom, placed to also watch her bathe, after seeing her frivolity in the bedroom too.
- #05: Year 04 Q3 init ― to the brothel with the varied humanoid and inhuman and monstrous beings ... for the typical reasons.
- #06: Year 04 Q3 mid ― to the summer palace, when the queen dragged me along to centralize my questing supervision with her own vacation.
- #07: Year 04 Q3 end ― to a potential opponent of Queen VicNyanne ― to Duchess Nipa Nyork's bedroom.
- #08: Year 04 Q4 init ― to a potential opponent of Queen VicNyanne ― to Lord and Lady Nyahbell's bedroom.
- #09: Year 04 Q4 mid ― to a potential opponent of Queen VicNyanne.
- #10: Year 04 Q4 end ― to a potential opponent of Queen VicNyanne.
- #11: Year 05 Q1 init ― to a potential opponent of Queen VicNyanne.
- #12: Year 05 Q1 end ― to a potential opponent of Queen VicNyanne.
- #13: Year 05 Q2 end ― to Indaba's aerie and dwelling, placed to view the inner chamber and nest.
- #14: Year 07 Q1 end ― to a potential opponent of Queen VicNyanne.
- #15: Year 08 end or year 09 start ― to my and Nyandra's country home estate, into a private library, formerly the home of Duchess Nipa Nyork.
- #16: [unset, unlocked] reserved for a way home to Earth

[collapse]

Looking through this lineup, I think ... I've placed far too many into the private views of peoples' private lives. It ... it's not my fault! It's the work, for the queen! And the damned charisma boon!

Portal node 1 was my first one. I'd researched during my servitude ― while essentially a 'slave' but pushed into a small storage closet as a bedroom ― and built my own first realm and portal through secret methods. No, the catkin handlers would hate knowing I did all this in secret, even now ― even though some might applaud my ingenuity. But nevertheless; the first portal, the first chance to have ... freedom ... even with a slave collar around my neck. Its timing overlapped with the first attempts toward the 'demon lord' who I was to take on and defeat. I feared even then with a slave collar ... some cats think me expendable. At least if I had the way out to escape then I could also escape my own execution somehow.

Portal node 2 followed the first, arrival in the demon lord's castle ... by invite of the same 'demon lord'. She was not a he, like the cats thought; but this didn't allay my mission, by which the queen's words were to kill. Still; from having realm growth through exposure to the demon realm, I could add the second node, one into the demon lady's castle ... within view of her private chambers. If I recall right, she must have known I could see there, and maybe suspected I could come to her ... any time I wanted to come. I never did, at least not as I'd admit-

-and due to a same surge in portal potential from the demon realm, I also soon had portal nodes 3 and 4, on the way. Due to overhearing the queen's words in agreement with certain radical cats who wanted to ― I hate the thought already ― 'muzzle' me ― I felt threatened by the cat queen. And so these next two portals I placed within her private bed chamber and bath chamber, in this order.

Portal node 5, a view into a brothel ... well yeah so I did. I went in there only the one time. Got it? Just the one time and I will not admit to more than this. But in its placement I did see a lot ― but so did my minions. Call it a form of 'sex ed' for the new minions as they came to my realm.

Portal node 6 into the queen's summer palace, her family's second home so to speak. She drew me along after fearing her young daughter and I were getting closer ― so she wanted to interfere maybe. But in its place, I'd got a new place where I could sneak away to visit, once in a while, and mingle with others while the queen was out.

Portal nodes 7 through 12 essentially eases my way to fulfill certain tasks in behalf of the queen ― all to targets of hers within her queendom. She'd asked me to observe certain ones of her ― ahem, potential nemeses ― and placing a portal into six of their homes' bedrooms fills the need. Mostly because when in the privacy of their bed is where they spoke their 'pillow talk' and the like ― thinking they were in a safe place. The first two of them of course to overzealous cats ― one to Duchess of the Nyork estate, the other to both Lord and Lady of the Nyahbell estate. Six portals to six enemies ― the queen has not since indicated they are no longer her enemy so ― I don't know what to do with them-

Portal node 13 ― after a dry spell, a year and a quarter of no realm expansion ― to suddenly confront a dragon lady gave me a boost. By the time I went on the mission to find her I left the portal then. The same one where I ... I watched an egg hatch, mere moments ago. Yeah I snuck through there, a time or two. Yeah, I thought things were 'cool' between her and I. Guess I overstepped, somehow; I misjudged my rights, and did acts I should not have done, if I were in my right mind with none of the cats climbing all over me.

Portal 14 ― some other enemy. Though the queen loved his work through his true identity, what she made me watch was his 'secret identity' which she thought was an outrage. Oh if only she knew the times she'd smiled at him in public ― yet hated too his alternate persona.

Portal 15, placed just one year ago in my and the princess' new home, after the wedding. Technically our new home is also the same duchy as the seventh portal node. Since the queen deposed her from power, a home estate for the princess and I got built near the pretty lakefront view-

-and ... that's it. The actual portal node slot 16, I'm leaving open for a way "home" ― to Earth. If possible. Even I am not sure, not one hundred percent.


From the view through the queen's chamber's balcony, yes I do see a faint dot in the skyline; it's ... it's her. She's flying fast, like ... super speeds, no, supersonic speed.

I ... can't watch still; yet I'm forcing myself to watch, for reasons. I've submerged beneath the greater consciousness, to take it in, to watch it again later. Will I cry?

... I suppose. Not now, not while I am in control-

-control, eh. How did it come to this?

... because. I was "summoned". From Earth. By the cats. And collared ... and I hated it-

Never summon an Earthman to collar if you don't want to face his wrath when he takes it off! Never.

Summoned almost ten years since ... has it been so long? Yes; it has. I would have liked to have found a way off Pernam, the world of the ancient dragon, by even half this length of time. But even so, I'm glad it came when it did.

With me and the princess married now, one young child present, and another on the way ― I have the feeling too, since they summon on the decade ― I'm a token. All summons are thus tokens for all time. A thing to show off, to say to the new summoned one ― "we accept you, see the last summon is okay, now go to work for us". My own time before the catkin queen wasn't like this, but should have been; the previous summon died in what I can only assume an 'unfortunate accident' ― a month later. But even if I refused the collar, they still put it on me ― no more like they wrapped it on my neck and closed it without asking.

Already nine years and four fifths more; this means, less than two months to new year's fest and also the decade fest for summoning. Out with the old, in with the new? Will I now get relegated to be less useful to her majesty the queen of all cats? Will I ... have an 'accident'?


They did properly train me, though ― with specialists ― first, a guild master to work on my physical fitness, and then the high wizard too for magical aptitude tests and training. I used both, more the latter than the former, to take a chance constructing this realm. I used their own training against them in a way ― but gave them my help in other ways. I adapted.

I let my gaze pass around me, to note ― my minions are here too ... most of them anyway. I may be an anathema to them. I've done in the other world what caused my downfall now; and I'm paying for it. They see there, all evidence of my fallibility ― my defeat at my own expense. No, I don't hold any malice in their seeing this; I'd already muted and numbed my emotional centers as much as I am humanly able. Yet I'm their master, or they are my minions ... not unlike slaves ... but I've treated them well so far-

They are my twenty brave, honest, honorable, friendly little things. Twenty of them, of races most other people might call monsters. Well they're not ― and then again they are too ― but not so monster as one could think. Here, a function of my summoning them withholds their more brutal natures, by just being in the realm. They ... coexist. Gender diversity ― three to one, female to male ― is one thing which got skewed; I'm surrounded by girls, even here in my own realm. It's not so bad as in Pernam, but even there has its moments. Since my realm is still so small, it's a cinch the racial profile is widely disproportionate. Eleven goblins, three dogkin, two kobold ― to group those by more than one per race. Plus one each of a catkin, a wolfkin, a ratkin, and an apian.

First off ― Ceevah. She was a freebie summon. No she wasn't here in the realm when I first made it. She came later, once I got to a point to call her forth. The realm at first showed as a small tiny radius of land; a mere point in space if one could call it so. Expansion came with effort; first chance I got, I called up my summon menu and ... found this cheetah like catkin in the short list of suggestions. She was coy, demure, shy ― so opposite of the catkin on Pernam who had their great egos ― so I had more than a small part ... an immediate yen for her. For one reason or another nothing happened between her and I; it just couldn't. Something about the realm system preventing master/slave coupling? Copulation yes; but that's all. Anything more is ... das ist verboten.

Gimu as a second minion began as a wild or random spawn. Realms grow from actions of the owner, but also slightly by a supplemental system at first; I didn't notice the growth until a random spawn event occurred. And at the least opportune time ― while Ceevah and I, rolling in the grass in the early morning hours, then faced a green goblin fighter reach forward, smiling shyly. And just then I wondered how much he'd seen of me and my new majordomo. Probably a lot he's not saying ― or, I won't ask. But also Gimu since then had evolved to a higher profession state, and also it seemed his presence skewed the wild spawns for more goblins after him? To wit; it's him and ten other goblins ― two males and eight females. I won't deny their capacity for being industrious.

Rata the ratlike girl I'd picked when she was available, because I felt I'd need to use her in Pernam; but her chance never came. Anyway she's fine with it; she's the only one of her race too but she's adapted ― my minions do.

Chace is my first heavy hitter ― even more than Gimu back then. But even if Gimu has the drive to outmatch this wolfish guy, Chace felt safe not advancing. Or maybe I didn't challenge him either. Anyway after my attempts with wooing the ever lovely Ceevah fell through ... he claimed her. They've been together, ever since ― no way am I going to try to take her back from him! I'd lose an arm! Even if he is my minion too-

Neva ― a 'busy as a bee' type girl ― fills a different slot. Also, as a unique race and marked as a steward profession from her past ― she did help out around the fringes of my little village setup here. I believe she's started her own attempt to learn haircutting. This will be a nice role, my first barber is a bee woman? Who knows, it might work.

Next, from the first explosion in power and realm advancement at the same time as portal nodes three and four I might add, came two random spawns at once. Both goblin girls too; twins ― both practically falling over each other at the sight of Gimu ― thankfully not me. Chaala and Chuuli by name, both are as much a laborer as any other goblin ― but for Gimu who is my proud realm guardian, prince among goblins.

Sandrine was the first of my dogkin ― and a female; such a domestic type but she has helped out in the fields and orchards as an adaptive worker. Her favorite thing to do was thinking up new food recipes from what I've let grow in my realm. Not a full chef; but she's doing well enough to give Ceevah a run for her effort.

Chux the male goblin ... sort of a warrior caste but more a general hunter who adapted to be a laborer ― yeah most goblins did, here. But he's the second male goblin after Gimu; he's the one who also looked up to both me and Gimu too, but could never reach those same heights. I keep thinking of calling him Chuck; but ... the one time I did by accident, he grimaced and softly corrected me. I guess even minions want to be known as who they are in their lives.

Vioh too, she as a goblin laborer tended the lawn and a small garden patch right near my mansion. Right after I upgraded the hovel into my house and got the garden near it, I'd needed at least one minion to tend the garden to be specific. Anyway even if they overlap or share duties, at least each minion has their own special assigned place or task. What's more on top of this, is their own helping each other or sometimes trading off jobs. Some of the small goblins don't like climbing the fruit trees to collect the fruits; Vioh is one of them. Anyway with her at ground level she's never failed her deeds yet.

Sashurra is the second dogkin girl, more to the great dane form than any other Earth race of canines. For a dogkin here though, she was also as large as a great dane comparatively; only in her age, she's ... a child. It doesn't hurt anything in how docile she is, she's like a ... dare I think it ... happy puppy waiting for a treat. Like a child who's innocent, I can't fault her. But even as a child she's got both size and a fair sense of strength; so she does her own work as she can.

The third male goblin ends up being Dral, a guy who seems happy just to lift things, and carry them from one place to another. I'd love to set his profession as essentially a stevedore, if such were possible; but even if not, he does as he does without me to worry. He might be just over 85 cm but the heaviest object he's lifted is already a harvest basket larger than himself, thirty plus kilograms of harvest. How do goblins do it? How?

Next in line. Chug Brewhorn ― the first kobold, a male. He's sometimes a small bit flighty, but still gets along. I sense he'd like to be inside more, but since nobody here is going to (purposely) harm him, he's given it a try to be part of the group. He somehow got the professional trait of a 'fencer', a few flashy dance steps with sleight of hand on a blade. Or at least he fancies himself so, for the time being. It doesn't take much to lure him to show his artful dance; but I've seen him bragging as he's shown a few steps in practice.

The next two goblin girls, Gnug and Oiga, are also of a farmer caste and do well at it. Oiga is slightly more eager to be climbing trees and is the best apple and peach picker so far. Both are small for the goblin size though; for Gnug it's no problem but I see in the eyes of Oiga how she wished she could be ... my size.

Two kobold females ― Cles Craghead and Adni Coldpine ― are as much antagonistic of each other as they are the best of friends. It's more like, fighting over which of them has to 'deal with Chug' when he's in the mood. In their defense Chug does not take rejection too well; and the kobold girls are pretty much ... the only ones who take him on as a romantic partner. I'll take it to heart, how maybe sometime in the near future ― both Chug is going to find a mate, and Cles and Adni will also get someone too. Cles seems to lean toward making potions but not in a focused way or she'd be at the top of her skill already. Adni likes crafting small items, to carve scraps of wood until she gets an idea and then makes it.

This last three of the twenty are all goblin females, too; I have far too many of them but ... I cannot say it. They're ... well, simply cute in their own way but also friendly. So why ruin a good thing? Kheert, Uzzu, and Elmy ― or as the latter one says, El Tres Goblinas. I don't think it works; but the other two seem to like it, so ... it's fine. Kheert and Uzzu have the hunter traits and skills, while Elmy has animal care skills and herding lore. It seems to be even if Elmy is the odd one, the other two maybe play along with her for the laughs. Aah; goblins are such fun loving little creatures at heart, aren't they-

... all told of the twenty here, it's a fairly strong list ― a cohesive group. I see some quibbles here or there, sometimes some jokes go too far; but otherwise they got me and I got them. I guess what makes a family is the bonds which get made ... or so a proverb in Pernam seems to say.

Eh, if you made it through reading all this ... I thank you. It probably means nothing or for some reason isn't all that valuable to some people; however it is character background and worldbuilding which mattered to me, to write it. Next chapter features a selection of flashbacks too, of some of the earlier events mentioned above ... maybe a better way to worldbuild.

1