Why should I live like this?
1.1k 9 47
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A girl could be seen running through the streets with her scruffy and matted black hair and gleaming red and purple tinted eyes scanning her surroundings. 

 

This girls name is Akame. She has no surname as she has never been told. Her father died before she was born and her mother had died after her birth. 

 

No one that knows of Akame's parents know about her as Akame's mother gave birth at home which was reckless, leading to her death.

 

For some unknown reasons Akame has managed to live even without breast milk and is growing at the pace of any normal child. She is currently three years of age. 

 

"That old man almost fought me with his quirk over this small piece of bread. Could he not have just given it to me? He has plenty anyway." Akame said to herself as she quickly ran through an alleyway towards the end and came to a stop next to a cardboard box. 

 

This cardboard box was quite large and could easily fit Akame inside. This was the place Akame knew of as home. 

 

"This hunger is immense. I'm always going hungry.. lucky me for snatching something to eat today." Akame sighed as she sat down in her box and closed it in an attempt to keep slightly warmer. 

 

Akame was found by an old man who was her neighbour so she had managed to survive when she was a baby thanks to him looking after her but as Akame was turning one, a villain stormed the house and killed the old man that had looked after Akame and fed her when she could not do so herself. The old man had held onto the villain the whole time while shouting at Akame to run, run as far as she could and to not look back. 

 

"Best not to remember that memory." Akame grumbled to herself as she took a bite out of the bread she had just stollen. 

 

"Hunny, are you excited for your birthday tomorrow?" A woman smiled to her child as they walked past the alleyway I was in. 

 

'This is strange. Normally people don't walk past here.' Akame thought to herself as she took another bite of bread but payed attention to the woman talking. 

 

"Of course mummy! I get to find out my quirk tomorrow since I'm turning 4! I wonder if it's mummy's or daddy's!" The child happily exclaimed with a bright smile. 

 

'Quirk? Did they not already know if they have one or not? Ah. I see. That must be when the quirk manifests itself and is to be discovered inside the being who has gained one. I'm assuming at the age of four, the child will go to find out which quirk they have attained. Well, my birthday should be in a week or two. I can't remember which as that isn't very important when you're trying to survive out on the streets and mature faster than anyone should have or need to.' Akame snorted at that thought, 'I don't know which quirks my parents had since I didn't even know their names so it'll be a complete mystery to what mine will be, if I have a quirk that is.'  Akame sighed as she took another bite of bread and slid down the side of the box to lay on her back.

 

"I wonder, if I on the off chance do in fact have a quirk, how significantly will it change my life? Will I be able to get out of this miserable state since I hold some sort of value due to that quirk?" Akame muttered as she moved her hand that was not holding the bread behind her head. 

 

The next thing Akame heard made her seemingly emotionless face hold the smallest of smiles. 

 

"When I find out my quirk, I'll go to UA!" The child shouted as he pumped his fist into the air, "I'll be a hero! Just watch me mummy!" The child giggled as he ran with his mother trailing behind. 

 

"Yes, yes, hunny. You'll be the best little hero, won't you?" The woman laughed along with her child as they made their way down the street. 

 

'UA. Hm. I've read about that in one of the newspapers that have been chucked down here. Though I read that a year back I can still remember every word, image and headline that was on it. It was a hero school I believe. If I get a quirk then I'll aim to get into that school then.' Akame thought to herself as the woman and her child left. 

 

Footsteps could be heard down the alleyway and two voices bickering with each other. 

 

"Oi, are ya sure that the little twerp scurried off down 'ere? The darn child stole me bread!" 

 

"Shut it. I'm sure the kid went down here. No need to get so pressed about it mate." 

 

The two men made their way down the alleyway and looked left and right before setting their gazes back at each other. 

 

"Ya fuckin' ass! What'd ya mean the kid ran down here! There ain't no fuckin' sign of the thing!" The man shouted before kicking the very box that Akame made her home. 

 

Akame let out a cough from being kicked so hard by the man and some of her blood made itself known on the box's sides. 

 

'That old geezer kicks hard. Even made me spit blood.' 

 

"Don't shout at me you idiot! The kid is in that box." The man rolled his eyes. 

 

"Eh? And how'd ya know that?" The other man said as he opened the box and caught a glimpse of Akame's hair. 

 

"Are you deaf of what? Might wanna check that out." The man huffed and grabbed Akame by the neck and held her up to his face. "Now now you little shit, you stole our bread and we will make you pay for that with your blood." The man snarled with a smirk presented on his unkempt face.

 

"Hehe, you got that right." The other man said as he punched Akame in the face. 

 

Both men proceeded to beat up Akame until she was black and blue with plenty of red to accompany it. Akame couldn't do a thing in this situation. A three year old against two fully grown men? Get real. Though, this was normal for Akame so she had an extremely high pain tolerance so she didn't feel a thing other than a wave of tiredness after the men had stopped punching, kicking and stabbing Akame since she had lost quite a bit of blood from the knife wounds on her arms, leg and chest.

 

Akame shakily got up and stumbled down the street to find something, anything to patch up her wounds. She didn't feel like dying from blood loss today so she would try to not do exactly that. 

 

She sighed as her vision got hazy and her movements got rigid, 'why do I have to live like this.' She thought as she collapsed in the rain on the side of the almost empty street, blissfully unaware of how much her life would change after this day. 

 

 

________

 

 

(1198 words)

 

This is the first chapter and I hope it's not too bad. If there is any feedback then it would be much appreciated if you could share it :). Thank you for reading <3

47