Chapter 197 – Higher Power
294 5 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Now orange one, I do need to give you some warning before we do this though. Becoming a majin lord is not a pleasant experience so once it starts, we cannot stop”

Having just arrived back in Mute’s igloo, thankfully enough being far enough out from my self-destruction crater, we’re all sitting around on a rug while Asmodeus goes through the preparation for what’s about to happen. Ah, should probably mention the fact it would’ve taken days of flying to get out of that crater so we basically just chilled for twenty-four hours or so, then teleported back. Zeki is definitely getting better with his motion sickness it seems but still puked a little.

Over to the other side of the igloo, the demon lord appears to be drawing many symbols from his own blood across the snowy floor, almost looking comparable to a pentagram if you look at it from the right angle. Ariza’s already offered to heal him multiple times already but by the sounds of it, this is one of those forgotten magics that has to have blood involved. At least we’re not sacrificing Mr Goat this time around.

“Yeah yeah Asmodeus, you nearly finished yet? I’m sure I’ll be able to handle it”

“Heh, like your optimism orange one but I’m being deadly serious. Just ask the dark one, this is comparable to how a vampire might go about making a soul undead”

“Is there any other way we can go about doing this Asmodeus? That’s an experience no one should have to suffer through”

By the looks of it, Petra seems really concerned from the comparison that was just made, being the situation that happened between her and the vampire ex Melinda I’ve been told a while ago. Today’s the day I’m finally going to experience something really painful and miserable apparently… it says a lot that my happiness to be included outweighs the potential misery. I really am something else.

“Unfortunately, yes dark one, it’s unavoidable. Majin lords have always had a set amount of power shared between all seven and this is the only way of contacting the creator”

“So wait… does that mean I’m going to be six times as powerful as a regular one when we get through this?”

I mean, I presume we’re not going to go on a recruiting drive to find the other five demon lords of sin, this entire journey would feel stupid if that was the case.

“Heh, no orange one, the power of all the majin lords will be shared between us both. I’m not selfless enough to give you everything”

‘Eh, fair enough, can’t exactly blame him for that. Even though the thought of gaining that much power sounds dope, we were all following along with his plan throughout this. At least until the last small hiccup with the wrong lord being alive’

Anyways, Asmodeus finishes up on the circle so I lay down in the middle of it when he indicates to do so. Thankfully, the snow seems to have soaked it up mostly, but that still doesn’t mean I’m happy lying in blood like this.

“Hey erm… is the rope necessary?”

Tied to four pegs in the corners of the summoning circle, Asmodeus is starting to tie each of my limbs to each peg basically making me spread eagle. This really is starting to make me uncomfortable now and not for reason you may expect… blame Petra for corrupting my mind like this.

“Heh, just relax and enjoy the experience Ikarus. It’s not everyday someone else ties you up”

“Urgh, why do you have to come out a say stupid shit like that Petra!?! Let’s just get this over with already”

Now that I’m tightly secured to the floor, pouting a fluster and facing away from the wife, Asmodeus’s persona completely changes and goes deadly serious.

“All of you! When the creator, or the powers that be accept this call, please don’t interrupt. It’ll be easier that way”

Now standing over me, chanting under his breath some ritualist bullshit I can’t comprehend, Asmodeus begins the ritual causing the atmosphere in the igloo to turn to ice… that one wasn’t intentional.

‘Huh… powers that be? Wait, didn’t we have an experience, with them… back on Ear-…’

While I’m trying to recollect my memory, everything starts to fade and bright lights fall around, enveloping me like a comfy blanket. This is hella weird and trippy…

‘Err…’

__________

(Temporary Perspective Change)

(Zeki) “Erk, what the fuck is wrong with orangey, demon dickhead!? She’s having a fit!”

(Ariza) “Uh huh… this doesn’t seem good”

(Mute) “…!”

(Petra) “…”

Spread on the floor spasming and frothing at the mouth, this is exactly why I was worried for Ikarus’s sake. If she is currently being possessed, it shouldn’t be painful for her but you can never tell with these sorts of things. Agony is to be expected with these sorts of things.

“You can all relax; this is to be expected. Any second now, things will come in balance”

Once the absolute horror of Ikarus’s body finally comes to rest, her eyes must open, showing the deepest and bloodiest of reds imaginable, as well as the darkest of auras. Although I may not be able to see it, I can sense Ikarus is no longer with us…

When it comes to anything which involves increasing power, there’s always a being behind the scenes that triumphs anything you’re able to do. The same thing applies to vampirism, it originally was created for followers of a forgotten power wanting to get closer with said power.

It doesn’t matter if it’s a God or an unknown being of power, there will always be someone one step higher than you and that applies even here. Whoever it is who made demons and is now inheriting Ikarus, must have someone, or something even they can’t comprehend above them. This has always been a thing deep in magic theory, Ikarus really has no interest in all that though.

All of a sudden, just as the being corrupting Ikarus begins to speak, Aesa begins to form in giving off an aura of complete confusion. I’m not sure she meant to do that.

“Ha-ha, ha-ha! We meet again Asmodeus; it’s been quite a while since we once held that putrid lizard body of yours”

Stealing Ikarus’s voice and smile, turning it into the most twisted and corrupted sounding thing imaginable, this is the being who holds the key for us getting into the heavens. Let’s just hope we can be reasonable here because this situation doesn’t seems great.

Before he has a chance to respond though, Aesa shows visible anger towards the possessor and just can’t help herself.

“Aesa and Ikarus were told by the powers that be that this couldn’t happen. Leave Ikarus immediately!”

“Ha! We assume you’ve spoken to our more likeable kin in a different world, puny little voice? This really is quite the exciting encounter… Asmodeus? Are you going to keep standing there like an idiot or are you going to start grovelling already?”

Getting the message, Asmodeus falls to his knees and starts to grovel in front of the tied down being possessing Ikarus. I too know the times when you need to appeal to a being powerful than you and grovelling is the easiest way of going about it, this current situation doesn’t feel that way though.

“Oh, wise and powerful being… that has the tendency of being a gigantic pain in the ass. Please, gift this vessel your power, as six of the seven majin lords of sin are no more”

He whispers that middle part under his breath but obviously everyone hears him, that being included.

“Asmodeus, Asmodeus… Asmodeus. You do understand, we know the reason why you’re the only demon lord left remaining, right? Your little crusade may have been pretty pleasing on the senses, but it was all in vain. Why should we give it our blood when you could just dispose of it as well?”

“Call Ikarus it again, and Aesa will find some way of destroying you”

The demon creator just grins at Aesa’s threat. Normally, I’d be the exact same, but this is someone none of us would have any chance of defeating, even if we were Gods. I think I remember a name once used to describe these lot… architects of the unknown. Although, I’m pretty sure that theory came from Penelope’s mouth, so who knows who thy really are.

“Heh, we both know that’s a load of horseshit creator. You need us majin lords as much as we need you. There is a reason why we exist”

“You honestly believe you have our intentions figured out Asmodeus? It matters little if you have, this one’s soul has already been claimed by another, there’s nothing in it for me. You’ve already played us once a fool with the oracle, that won’t happen again’

‘Ikarus’s soul has been claimed already? By who?’

All it takes is one gander towards Asmodeus to realize the confidence he’s keeping hidden away, he has this exact situation figured out already. As for the her soul though, if it has been claimed already, then at least the concern for her becoming a controlled demon lackey is now gone. Just, haven’t a clue on who would lay a claim on it down the line. Let’s just hope none of this mortality stuff matters down the line because we should be immortal by this point.

“Please, this is starting to get tedious creator, so how about we both cut to the chase? I know exactly what you want, and you know exactly what I need. You’ll grant her that power because it’s the only way for your desire to be achieved”

Instead of getting an instant response, the architect ponders for a minute, then returns with only a grin that is comparable to how wicked Asmodeus’s face can get. At least, that’s how Ikarus describes it.

“If this fails Asmodeus, we promise you’ll spend eternity as a worm, always conscious and wishing for a greater existence that will never come. Are you sure you wish to enter into this agreement?”

“As long as the burden remains on my shoulders alone, then yes”

“That’s to be expected, this is your game and we’re only here to get you moving further forward… the transaction is now complete. Have a lovely day…”

The summoned aura possessing Ikarus all but fades in a split second, evaporating inside the igloo to only a place none of us can even comprehend or imagine. That went well… I think?

Now finally relaxed, her eyes shut again and sleeps as peacefully as ever, two small black objects start to protrude from her head meaning the transaction must’ve been successful. We’ll untie her and try to wake her in a second, even if I could watch Ikarus sleep forever. It’s okay though, I know she does the same exact thing, even doing it all night once or twice. She really isn’t as subtle as she thinks…

‘Phew… it would make sense to question Asmodeus more on this but it’s already known how he’ll react, make it out so nothing needs to be said just yet. Both my parents seem to share that trait unfortunately…’

__________

[<Ikarus… get up or Aesa will start nagging>]

(Petra) “Ikarus…”

“…!”

“Orangey, get the hell up lazy ass!”

“Uh, give her a break Zeki… you okay Ikarus?”

‘Urgh… not again, five more minutes, pleaseee’

Like the experience I just had not even a day ago dying and being sent back home to the cave, I honestly feel like death. I’m normally not a terrible sleeper but this shit makes me feel terrible, you’d think dying and changing into a demon would be nice experience for resting!

Anyways, the first thing I see, still down on the snowy floor is Aesa and Petra looking down at me. That’s pretty weird, right? I mean, why Aesa is out. Did something really bad happen during that? It just felt like a shitty nap really.

“*Yawnnn*… is the thing done then? That wasn’t as bad as you described”

Everyone looks at me confused, like I missed something interesting or important. Oh well, Petra will explain to me what happened later on, we basically tell each other everything by this point.

“Heh, you don’t feel any different Ikarus? What about now?”

Petra moves one of her hands to the top of my head and presumably goes to give me a head pat. Except, said nice head pat touches something else instantly causing my to jump straight up.

“Wah! What the fuck!? Urghhh… s-stop!”

That sensitivity of just a tiny horn rubbing basically causes me to loudly moan, in the exact embarrassing way you might expect right in front of everyone! That shit is comparable to having a certain forbidden fruit touched, that shouldn’t be like that, right? Right!?!

“Heh, sensitive horns, that’s a new one. How are you feeling sister?”

“Sister!? Do you be calling me that just because I’ve grown some stupid horns all of a sudden!”

----------

Spoiler

[collapse]

----------

I can sense it Petra’s eyes, the urge to keep touching them is seriously making her struggle. I might smack her if she does, that sensitivity is only reserved for the bedroom and even then, her rubbing off my horns sounds all kinds of weird and creepy.

“Heh, you really are no fun sister. Normally, the first transmutation isn’t pleasant, but you seem to have taken it like a champ”

I honestly just shrug Asmodeus off; I feel no different except now having two stupid horns on my head that need a good scratching. Problem is, they’re way too sensitive to scratch so I’ll just have to get used to that, at least until some privacy has been obtained… they really need a good scratching though.

‘Is there anything different to my status?’

[Name: Ikarus   |   Species: Demon Lord   |   Level: 1000]

[Health    166,666/166,666]

[Stamina 166,665/166,666]

[Magicka 166,666/166,666]

[You currently have 150001 unassigned points]

“Da fuck!? Yo Aesa, it’s taken my freaking phoenix tag! Fuck these stupid horns!”

Sure, I know we could be communicating internally, even if she’s outside with us right now, but this is a world ending situation! I don’t even care the fact my stats appear to maxed out no longer needing the enchanted dress, this shit sucks! I ain’t a freaking bird no more!

“Sighhh… Aesa thought this may be an issue. Thankfully, Ikarus’s phoenix form still remains and can be used if required, the horns are fixed however… does this fix the issue slightly?”

[Name: Ikarus   |   Species: Phoenix (Demon Lord)   |   Level: 1000]

[Health    166,666/166,666]

[Stamina 166,665/166,666]

[Magicka 166,666/166,666]

[You currently have 150001 unassigned points]

‘Sighhh… it’s stupid that it helps more than you can imagine’

We all know I’m slightly special and the fact Aesa can fix my system a little to make it lie to me helps more than I can imagine. It just feels like if my phoenix tag is replaced, then just what the hell am I? A boring demon lord? Such a shitty overused cliché… I guess I am a walking cliché at times though.

“There have been some other changes to the system Ikarus, but Aesa needs to get something of her chest… I’m stuck”

Seeing my clone’s aura drop down a level and her expressing physical sadness, I’m not sure how to react. What’s wrong with Aesa?

(Petra) “What do you mean you’re stuck Aesa?”

“Uh huh, what’s wrong?”

“Aesa can’t get back inside Ikarus, physically at least. Mentally, we’re still connected but Aesa’s main consciousness seems to be stuck inside this form”

Hold up, Aesa’s stuck inside the clone body without the horns? Fuck, that can’t be good for her considering she’s basically a hermit. Why the hell has it done that though?

While the four of us gather around trying to be compassionate towards Aesa, the two excluded obviously being Zeki and Asmodeus, the demon lord looks like he’s trying desperately to keep something in.

‘Is this fucker actually laughing at Aesa’s misfortune!? My AI showing emotion and being stuck outside is a big deal!’

“While Aesa appreciates the concern, this is just one of things unfortunately, assisting Ikarus still seems easy enough. Why is demonic dickhead trying not to laugh though?”

‘Demonic dickhead, I’m taking that one’

“Heh, sorry fabled voice but I can’t help myself. It seems both of you haven’t figured it out yet”

“What is there to figure out? You’re just being arsehole like usual”

“Heh, maybe, this time around it’s just pure luck sister. The chances of this happening were slim to zero, regardless of any good or bad futures. You evolving has also made the system evolve, and in return, this is the best outcome we could’ve possibly wished for”

Just what the hell is he on about? Aesa evolving? The best outcome? I literally just died back there!

“Jeez, just get to the freaking point already Asmodeus! We’re all here waiting for it!”

“Heh, fine sister. Unlike that weakened clone body she possessed, she now has an exact replica of your old vessel just before you turned, complete with every weapon or ability you had in your arsenal. That’s not even the best part… all of it is tracked independently”

Like a metaphorical bombshell drops, this is major. That clone body and it’s one weakness was ironically enough, being weak. If Aesa now has the power to do everything I can do and it’s tracked separately, meaning we both have separate cooldown timers, this could affect everything.

“Sorry Aesa but I’ve got to check this real quick…”

‘…Status’

[Name: Aesa   |   Species: Phoenix   |   Level: 1000]

[Health    166,666/166,666]

[Stamina 166,665/166,666]

[Magicka 166,666/166,666]

‘Dear God, you actually have a status now Aesa! This is hella weird’

I don’t recall ever checking her status before because it simply didn’t show up, actually seeing her stealing my phoenix tag is making me annoyed once again. The four fabled phoenixes out of prophecy and I’m now the imposter…

‘Hang on… does this mean I can scan the other birds now if I’m no longer a phoenix?’

I’ve never been able to check their stats so changing my species may combat that, right?

[<No Ikarus, it never had anything to do with the species tag. It’s always been down to the system rather than anything like that… Aesa will hit you if you give our wife a migraine attempting it though>]

‘Relax Aesa, I get the message…’

However, my curiosity, or idiocy quickly gets thrown away when something really bad comes to mind.

“Wait wait wait! It says she’s a phoenix though, not a God or demon lord. Doesn’t that mean this body is stuck down here?”

This is bad, right? I was thinking Aesa may be able to help nuke the shit out of Zeus but that may be a little difficult to achieve if she’s stuck in our normal boring world! This can’t be that useful if the clone body can’t even come with us.

“Heh, correct orange one. If you were ever worried about this world falling to ruin while you were away, albeit the dragons are prefect for the role already, you’ve now got a protector wearing your skin. Our plan never relied on using another version of you anyways”

This still makes me dejected regardless if it’s better than nothing, especially by the way Asmodeus was bigging it up. Is it really that lucky if the clone body can’t be with us? Sure, Aesa’s conscious and mine are still connected, just feel now like a dog who’s bone has been taken away.

“It’s okay Ikarus, Aesa will just learn to manage…”

‘At least she’s handling it well, I guess’

“…Aesa does need to mention there’s still another matter that needs to be discussed. Upon reaching level one thousand, Ikarus has now obtained a way of upgrading abilities in exchange for fifty thousand points”

“I can upgrade shit now!? Ah sweet… should probably keep it down now”

Before moving onto a little system management, it appears Zeki, Ariza and Mute have all started to drift off, all barely struggling to keep their eyes open. Sure, I know it’s late and all but are we that boring? I jest, this place has been quite the experience and none of us have slept in several days… excluding the little catnap I just had.

“Heh, what do you plan on upgrading then Ikarus?”

Getting myself comfortable, finding the perfect position right on top of Petra’s lap since we’re probably going to be up all night… not in that way! She’s a bad sleeper and my stamina is full; my entire point was to find the best possible position for intelligent thinking! That’s totally the reason why…

“I’m not sure, I can do the obvious ones but they already seem good enough…”

All of a sudden, a brilliant idea comes to mind nearly making me fall off Petra’s lap in the process. I knew this position would provide ample inspiration… I don’t care if that sounds iffy, I can sometimes be on top of her! Even if no one will ever believe me.

“…Aesa! What happens if I try to upgrade teleport for example? Would it remove the cooldown?”

“Partially Ikarus, the timer gets lowered to a tiny fraction of the total time, that being five seconds. Upgrading ability admin privileges will cost a third of your remaining points though, if you wish to purchase it”

“Yeah yeah, you know I don’t like the double confirmation stuff so let’s get on with it”

Aesa gives me a quick nod in return meaning teleport has now reached MKII, this was a smart decision, right?

‘So… I can now TP basically whenever I want. Only two more upgrades I can buy now… status’

[Name: Ikarus   |   Species: Phoenix (Demon Lord)   |   Level: 1000]

[Health    166,666/166,666]

[Stamina 166,665/166,666]

[Magicka 166,666/166,666]

[You currently have 100001 unassigned points]

After seeing fifty thousand disappear just like that, I feel like I’ve made a mistake jumping the gun that quickly. Sure, that constant day timer in between is brilliant to remove, and I guess I could use teleport in combat as well now, was there more important things to upgrade first though?

Eh, I think it was a smart decision, it’s clearly one of the most used abilities and now even has some reliable combat capabilities. This was a good call… I wonder if another regularly used ability will work as well.

“Aesa, what about aspect next?”

The chance to do fifty thousand damage every five seconds sounds overpowered as fuck, right? There’s no way it can work that way because my bullshit system always has to have some resemblance of balancing, despite the fact I’m a walking nuclear state… or two allied states if you include Aesa now in the mix.

“Unfortunately Ikarus, upgrading aspect of gigantomachy doesn’t work that way since the cooldown is still retained. Aesa can assure you it’s worth the investment though, upping the damage substantially and even giving Ikarus something a little extra. It may be better to see what it can do it person if ability upgrade is bought though”

By the ever so faint excitement that can be heard in Aesa’s voice, she obviously wants me to upgrade aspect, so that’s what I’ll do. Listening to her has never backfired yet… maybe it did once or twice but don’t care enough to remember about it.

“Let’s buy that next Aesa… you know… I think I’ll save the last upgrade for another time”

“Affirmative, aspect has now been upgraded”

See, my curiosity is thinking about going for upgrading supernova but that seriously might be taking the piss. It might literally destroy the entire planet depending on the right circumstances, so it’s best to just wait until I get my mind off that stupid idea and focus on getting something a little more reasonable… it’s damn tempting though.

Not that’s kinda sorted, Petra of all people notices something I don’t. Normally, that wouldn’t be surprising but when it comes to Aesa, I’m normally on it instantly.

“Heh, you want to join us Aesa? You seem a little left out”

‘Petra does have a point; it feels a little weird hugging right in front of her like this. The only time she ever comes out is for intimacy after all’

“Is wife sure that’s okay?”

(Ikarus) “*Sighhh*, really Aesa? You, of all people are going to be tsundere now? Just join us already… huh, guess he was tired as well”

Without even realizing it, even Asmodeus has gone to get some shut eye so it’s just our odd little harem of three remaining. We quickly get locked in a weird three-way hug with Aesa snuggling into Petra’s shoulder while I obviously get to sit on the throne, or lap. We can spend all night doing this while the others sleep, ain’t no problem here.

Except, I’ve forgotten something that happened earlier on, something that may need rectifying sooner rather than later.

“We erm… probably need to pop in and see my parents in the morning. When I died, I kinda interrupted them right in the middle of something…”

9