Kaede
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dylan

《♡》《♡》《♡》

I was following chipmunk wiz- I mean Elias, to meet with an associate of his. He had already asked him to stay behind in case he found me, and it was easy enough for Elias to do so by asking around. I can't be known by that many people, right? And why would anyone even in the undercity help Elias track me down? But I wasn't too upset, rather I was happy to run into him again.

I knew a shortcut to the commercial district, but I only followed the route Elias took me through. No reason to spoil the fun for someone else. Later than we would have arrived, we came to the Golden Goose. Rather on the nose, considering all the beanstalks they grow in the garden. All non-magical, sadly. I poured a special growth potion into the soil. I'd been meaning to for a while.

I caught up with Elias before he could see, and in we went. The colours of this place were loud, catering to a more lively crowd. I was being led to our table, when I spotted him. And he had spotted me. Across the taproom, I saw a man with striking blue hair and several red hairbands. They were like little Xs on each side of his bangs. He wore a pink sheer bolero and a tight shirt underneath, with bloomer shorts and high black socks riding up his legs. He had a delicate frame, but I knew from the saber on his hip that he could hold himself well when using it. And I wouldn't want to be caught underneath his pink leather boots.

We were getting closer, now I could feel myself getting caught on my breath. Our table was with him. Elias sat across from him. Oh shit, who do I- no, don't think too hard. I just sat down with Elias. Looking at the bright man, I could see him...pouting? He smirked into a grin when we made eye contact, and I could see his red lipstick more clearly now. His piercing yellow eyes. Little heart earrings. A button nose, and slight bags under his eyes. A light sleeper, maybe.

"Kaede, this is-" Kaede interrupted playfully.

"Dylan. I've never had the pleasure. Heard some fun things, if rumors are to be believed." There was a twinkle in his eyes as he gave a broad smile.

I coughed through an awkward laugh. "Yes, I'm Dylan. Ah, rumors? About me?" My eyes looked uncertainly between the two of them.

"Well, you aren't exactly subtle, the way you go in and out of peoples' doors. Doors that none of them usually know they even have! I mean, how do you figure that out? Not to mention the tale from Elias here, plus your uh...business with the royals?" Whoa, he knew a little too much. He didn't specify my business, so he likely only heard about someone seeing me leave from the court. That, or Elias spilled the beans about that already. I leered over at him, to which he gave a short shake of his head. Good, he hadn't told him everything yet.

"Kaede, I never specified the favor I'd be returning to Dylan." As if reading my exact thoughts, Elias led the conversation towards Kaede's last point.

"Oh, so the rumor is true. So tell me, what favor could involve the royals?" He asked his question to Elias, but rolled his head over to me.

"Uh, just retrieving something. But I'm not sure I even wanna go do it yet. I still have these burning hail pieces in the bag, and I grabbed quite a lot of them." Wait, I'm already showing off the bag! Why do I feel like I can't put all my cards on the table with this guy?

"Oh my, that looks to hold quite a useful enchantment. I'm sure it would be great for keeping all sorts of alchemical ingredients." His voice was hungry, as if each little thread I gave let him cling to more. He was pulling information out of me faster than I could think to give it!

"Wow, uh. Yeah, super useful. I'll be right back, I'm gonna get...some water, at the bar. Be right back." I needed to collect myself. I quickly heard his footsteps beside me.

"I'll come with you then, I'm getting quite thirsty myself, although I would prefer to grab some al-kee-hol." His teeth were flashing behind his lips, and I felt myself being pulled in the more I looked at them. I looked away, scared I might get so lost he will take a bite of me. Before I could think to let him, I hurried to the bar.

"A water please." The proprietor gave me a raised eyebrow, and a shoulder along with it. And then he nodded and handed over a bottle. "Uh, water. This is beer."

"Take it with the water. Give you something to sip on before that one tries to buy something for you." He was pointing at Kaede, who was giving a laughing smile back.

"I'll just take two shots of vodka for myself and Elias over there. And bring another round when you're able, I'll take any that he doesn't drink anyways." A single nod was given before his request was fulfilled.

"You, uh, and Elias know each other long?" I asked, but I was wondering more about what the proprietor meant. I could see Kaede searching my eyes.

"You mean before he became a squirrel?" Chipmunk. "Yeah, but not as long as you'd think. We spoke a few times and hit it off alright. He's a good people person. Easy to talk with." That I could agree with. Even as a chipmunk, he was always able to get his point across. "Why, are you jealous?"

That question rocked me a little. "Jealous? Of Elias? No, of course not."

He held a hand over his mouth in mock shock, hiding an obvious smile. "I meant of me, silly. And here I thought I was just getting in the way." I think I saw him bite his lip a little. And I realized my cheeks were really hot. The tips of my ears were burning, his gaze felt like the sun right now.

I needed some shade, if only for a moment. The feeling was nice but overwhelming at the same time. "We should get back to Elias, gotta - we gotta discuss - gotta dis- we gotta discuss the plan." I winced a bit, but I was used to stuttering like that. Just especially happened when my emotions were heightened.

"Okay, I'm done teasing for now. We can discuss the plan, and then maybe get to know each other a little." Wow, a gentle smile was flowing, and I felt myself smiling back. I just nodded, then we went back with our drinks.

《◇》《♤》《♧》

Dylan

0