2. A Better Start
1.4k 0 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As they got farther from the hospital, Yukio looked at Eiji who was driving, "Eiji, let's go to the Company."

"You don't want to eat?"

"Just quickly. I just want to see the company quickly."

"Okay."

With the memories that he acquired, the whole building wasn't new to him anymore. It was a modern and elegant structure that was well-designed with 50 floors. The body's original owner had been trained here by his father for a couple of years and he had already worked in the shadow familiarizing with everything. Just because of his psychological condition was he not able to fully participate in the matters of their business.

"You'll come tomorrow?"

"He already left for Germany last night and he said he'll be handling some business matters there. It's for the expansion. After that, he'll retire and leave everything to me completely."

Eiji's eyes followed Yukio as the latter walked around the CEO's Office. This office occupied the whole 49th floor while the 50th floor was set as an indoor garden with a pond, a gazebo and various plants.

"Eiji..." He looked back at the man who never failed to stand beside him all these years. "I'll fail a million times, will you help me avoid those failures?"

"As long as you don't try to kill yourself again, I will even help you become an emperor."

Yukio smiled, "I'll do my best not to be an idiot again."

Eiji's eyes widened and he felt like his heart received a big blow and there were trumpets being played over his head. He wanted to run to his brother and hug him tightly but he restrained himself. 

"Then, I'll do my best to beat you the hardest way if you go back on your words."

The smile that Yukio gave to him after that made him want to throw the biggest party in his whole life. He was ecstatic but he contained all that by just smiling back to him. In his heart, he was resolved to thread even through hell just to support this man. With his brother's capabilities though, what would be left to help him with? But if Yukio asked for the stars, he wouldn't think twice upon harvesting all of them from the sky.

The next day, in front of four big men in black suits was an exceptionally handsome man with very striking charm that always confused anyone who looked at him, gentleness or indifference, which was it really? The whole appearance exuded a refined beauty with delicateness but the round light brown eyes were cool and wise. His crisp and elegant black suit that perfectly accentuated his slender figure made him look so charming. Beside him was another handsome man who was in great contrast with the former. He was also wearing a black suit. The latter looked so intimidating and vigilant while the former looked so respectable but non-threatening.

Yukio had been in the company for countless of times ever since he was young but still, his beauty never failed to amuse the people around him. It made one want to hug and take care of him but also be wary because he seemed so detached from everyone and everything. He was like the most expensive but dangerously fragile crystal that must only be admired but never be touched.

Eiji closed the door behind him seeing that Yukio was finally settled on the CEO's chair. "Do you need me to stay the whole day here?"

"Don't you have a meeting with your business partner from London today?"

"I can postpone that if you need me here."

This made Yukio smile while reading some files in front of him, "No, I don't need a nanny. Please lead yourself to the door."

Eiji scoffed, "Won't he arrive today?"

"Who?"

"Your..." Eiji choked on his words when Yukio raised his head to look straight at him. "I heard that he came back from New York last night."

Yukio tilted his head towards the door and smiled again. A gesture that meant he didn't want to talk anymore.

"Okay. Just call me anytime if you need me."

His eyes were already back on the document he was reading before he heard the door opened and closed again. A lot of thoughts were running inside his head but he pushed all of them back and focused on his work. 

Luckily, the owner of this body was truly mentally sharp. His comprehension, analysis and problem-solving skills were top-notch. He didn't even strain a single brain cell in finishing all the documents that were filed on his table; made corrections, took notes, wrote comments and feedbacks, and drafted some outlines of alternative strategies.

Before lunch time, his secretary came in holding another set of documents. "Sir, these are for the discussions during this afternoon's meeting with the Board of Directors. The meeting will start at 2 o'clock."

"Okay. Take all of these papers away and give them back to the respective managers. Also, call Mr. Watanabe and tell him that I want to have a lunch meeting with him."

"Yes, Sir." The secretary noticed that none of the documents was signed and was astonished to see so many marks that were written neatly on different sides. He picked up all the documents on the table and walked out of the office after bowing down again as he did when he came in.

The lunch meeting in a five-star restaurant that was also quickly reserved by his secretary was done with a favorable result. Mr. Nobu Watanabe was his father's business partner and also one of the directors of the Quantum Corporation. Aside from his father, Mr. Watanabe also stood as his mentor in business and guided him in so many ways. Although the old man was usually cold and expressionless, he stood as Yukio's second father. 

In their meeting, he was fed with so much information collected by multiple intelligence planted in all corners of the corporation. This new bank of knowledge prepared him for his first meeting with the directors.

Yukio sat at the middle of the long table keenly listening to all the reports and discussions during the meeting. He already knew all of these data but he discreetly observed each person in the room, calculating each gesture and analyzing each expression. As of this time, his father already transferred 25% of the total shares in his name, leaving him with only 9%. Mr. Watanabe now owned 20%, next was Mr. Saito with 7%, Mr. Arai with 5.5%, Mr. Iwamoto with 5% same as Mr. Kubo, and the one who owned shares with an amount next to his was Mrs. Nakamura with 23.5%.

The last person mentioned was a very light-tempered and finely charactered woman who seldom engaged herself in internal conflicts about the business. She was an Omega that was a closest friend of Mr. Watanabe and Yukio's father. Together with Mr. Nobu Watanabe and Mr. Genzo Yoshida, Mrs. Rumi Nakamura started the company from scraps and worked their way to the top supporting each other. We can say that she was the emotional and psychological fuel of both men when they were braving calamities in their way to success. She then became the wife of another business tycoon who had his own business not related to Quantum Corporation.

With this, the engagement between Yukio and the Nakamura heir was just a way to strengthen both authorities with mutual benefits.

"We are currently eyeing a big piece of land in a prefecture in Kyushu for the company's next research center for organic fertilizers. But the local government was so firm in refusing our advances."

Yukio's attention was pulled back to the flashing white screen in front of him. Photos of the area mentioned were shown. Lush vegetation, a river, various animals... A bulb suddenly lit up in his mind. This was perfect! The Yukio who was reborn was suddenly so alert and ecstatic.

"What is the current status of this project?"

"We have found another location in Aichi Prefecture and the negotiation is smoothly proceeding. We just need to shell out more money for it." Mr. Watanabe, who noticed the flicker of interest in Yukio's eyes answered. He was the one leading the project.

"I need a progress report about this project by the end of next month."

"That's noted."

A few more points for discussion were raised and 30 minutes after, the meeting was wrapped up. Although he was too young for his position, the way he handled the meeting, the points and inputs from him, and his whole demeanor left a favorable impression to the board. It was too early to say that they trusted him already but at least, there was already a considerable amount of respect.

Yukio went back to his office and immediately dialed Eiji's number. 

"Hey, what's wrong?"

"Eiji, I want you to buy a piece of land. It's 200 hectares, located in Kyushu. Put it under your name."

"When do you need it?" Eiji, as long as he didn't sense any danger in Yukio's demand, was always up for any task. No explanations needed, he was willing to wait for his brother to speak up and open up his plan. At least this was better than finding, chasing and catching him in the forest of Aokigahara.

"The soonest time you acquire it, the better. I'll send the other details via email."

"Okay."

"There might be complications in handling it so I'll also send you some details about my future plan for the land. These details can be disclosed in clinching the deal."

"That's good. I'll fly to Kyushu first thing tomorrow. Send all those data now so I can immediately prepare."

"Tomorrow morning? Are you not busy?"

"Idiot. When have I not been busy?"

"It's okay, Eiji. It's not that urgent-"

"I'm busy but I know my priorities."

Yukio's heart was twisted into knots and he was still holding the phone on his ear even after the other side had already hung up. He closed his eyes and a particular smiling face flashed back in his mind. 

"Yukito..." 

He clutched his chest remembering the twin brother he loved even before he was born.

"Yukito, I haven't done my research yet and I only have one month before the deadline. I can't possibly finish it!" He was obviously desperate and was close to tears while pacing back and forth outside of the bathroom.

"What is your research about?" a loud voice was mixed with the running water from the bathroom. Yukito was clearly taking a shower.

"I was researching about the use of mushrooms in non-organic decomposition. It's a very promising concept. I really want to finish it." With a defeated mood, Yukito slid down the wall and sat on the floor feeling so hopeless. "I was confined too long this time, I wasn't even able to experiment well."

Yukito came out with a towel wrapped around his waist and rubbing another towel on his wet head. 

Yukio looked up to admire his brother. Without a doubt, Yukito was more handsome than he was, healthier than he was, and smarter than he was. His hair was light brown while Yukito's was dark brown, already closer to black. His eyes were golden while Yukito's were green. Yukito was also taller than him, he was just 177cm while Yukito was 179cm. He really adored his twin brother and he was so proud that Yukito doted on him so much.

"Why are you sitting on the floor?" Yukito casually dressed up in front of him and walked back to the bathroom.

"I'm doomed already. I'm so tired of staying in the hospital almost all the time." He was pouting and complaining while drawing invisible circles on the floor . "I want to be normal and accomplish some things, too. But..." He sighed and looked up to see his brother facing the mirror and looking back at him through the reflection. "I have dreams, too, you know."

"Already taking up a Master's Degree yet still so childish

"Already taking up a Master's Degree yet still so childish. Up to three, if you don't move your butt off the floor, I won't help you with your research. 1.....2..."

Yukio sprang up quicker than a rabbit whose butt was burnt and attacked his brother with a hug. "Thank you!!! I'll treat you to your favorite cake shop! You can eat as many as you want!"

"Hey, my shirt!" He tapped his younger twin's arms that were encircling his waist. Yeah, Yukito was obsessive-compulsive in terms of neatness.

"Oh!" A realization suddenly hit Yukio. "Your exam is also next month." His head drooped. 

"Worrying?" Yukito feigned a surprised look on his face. "Don't you know your brother is a genius??" He chuckled while looking so proud of himself but when he heard no response from the other party, he looked back. "What's with that depressed look?"

"It's okay, I'll just do my best to finish what I can finish. You need to focus on your exam, Yukito. I heard that it's extremely difficult and the yearly passing rate is always low."

"Hmn..." Yukito tilted his head a little and placed his finger on his chin looking like he was thinking deeply. Yukio raised his head to look at him with sad but understanding eyes. 

"Yeah, you're right, the exam is really important."  Yukito closed the gap between them and pinched Yukio's cheek. "But you are my top priority." 

Yukio's phone received a message. It was from Eiji.

[I can't pick you up later, I'll stay in the office longer. You can come to our house and eat dinner with aunt and uncle.]

He knew why Eiji will be doing an extensive overtime tonight. He needed to cover even the tasks for tomorrow and the next day. He felt guilty about it but he really had no one to rely on this time. He also couldn't buy the land. It might raise issues within the board. It was too early to create a disturbance in the water now. 

[Eat well, too.] He replied.

[Okay.]

It was already 8PM when Yukio left his office and got on his black Porsche Cayenne Turbo S. His Chief Bodyguard sat on the passenger seat while another bodyguard was taking on the wheel. They drove to the nearest five star restaurant where his secretary made a reservation. Eating alone suffocated him so he ate with his bodyguards.

The bodyguards were a little bit lost. They had been guarding this young master for several years and tonight, his temperament was not in line with how he was even days ago. He chatted with them. Asked them questions about their families. Acknowledged the waiters' services and gave expressive pleasures about the dishes. And, he even had the leftovers packed. They stole glances at him while he was walking out of the restaurant carrying a bag of takeaway boxes.

"Let's walk a little bit, okay? We're too full to just sit back in the car."

"Yes, young master." The two chorused.

While walking, Yukio observed the shops lined up along the street, the people walking and laughing and the children holding their parents' hands. He walked towards the less crowded alley and was stopped by the chief bodyguard, "Young master, it's not safe."

Yukio, in his past life, had never walked the streets of Tokyo. His places were only the house, the school, and the hospital. He was even always exempted from field trips and school tours. But he remembered that Yukito would sometimes bring extra lunch boxes and when he asked about it, Yukito told him that he could sometimes see homeless people or hungry children on the street. 

The bag of takeaways was for this purpose. He had been wanting to do this kind of thing in his past life. He only wished to be able to do more in this new life.

"It's okay." He smiled to his Chief Bodyguard and walked on.  From afar,  he saw a big body slumped on the gutter. It looked like it was hugging something. Although that particular corner was dark, Yukio moved closer but maintained a safe distance. He looked over the man's arms and he saw an orange kitten that was really tiny and thin. The man's head was drooping and he was wearing his hood over his head. His legs were crossed and he could only see the dirty tip of his sneakers. He looked like a crumpled figure and Yukio could smell a very strong stench of alcohol. 

He immediately went inside the convenience store not far from the man and bought a cup of hot coffee and a bottle of cold water. He was never drunk so he didn't know which one would be helpful. He went back in front of the man and put the coffee, the water and the bag of takeaways beside him.

"You should drink and eat something then go home. It's cold out here, you'll get sick."

The man didn't respond nor move.

"There's enough food there to share with the kitten, too."

Still no movement. Yukio moved closer to make sure that the man was still alive. When he saw that he was breathing and didn't seem to be injured since the clothes were not in a disarray, he took some cash from his wallet and put it beside the coffee.

"The last train had already left but I think that's already enough for a taxi. Don't use it for another bottle of alcohol, okay? I'll go now."

He turned his back and walked away. The man on the gutter was about to lift his head up when Yukio suddenly turned around again and ran back. He took his scarf off and carefully laid it on the small kitten's body. 

"I think she's also cold."

This time, he didn't go back after walking away. The man looked at his back and watched his every step. When Yukio was already out of sight, he looked down and touched the scarf. 

He couldn't help but bring the scarf to his nose and smell it. When the young man earlier moved closer to him, his smell already sobered him up. He was just not in the mood to answer him or even respond to his action. 

His voice sounded so young, just like a teenager. So he thought of not responding lest he'd just be irritated by the former. But when the young man was leaving, he was too curious and wanted to steal a look at him.

"Hey, do you want to come home with me?" Ryuichi petted the head of the kitten and stood up. "It's cold out here." He smiled remembering the words of the young man and looked at all the things he placed beside him on the gutter. He saw the logo of the takeaway bag and his smile became even more prominent. 

Ryuichi picked everything up and went to where he parked his black Maybach Exelero. There was a raging storm in his chest the whole day but just for a few minutes of this evening, the storm was replaced with something entirely different.

"Ah... Going home might not be that bad after all."

----------

Author's notes:

This is not yet edited. If you have comments or corrections, please let me know. Thank you! (^_^)

28