Chapter 123 – Pushing through
1.2k 2 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Also, a shoutout to my friend DrDoritoMD, a fellow author, who writes Manifest Fantasy!

Recommended for fans of Stargate and GATE: Thus the JSDF Fought There!

Manifest Fantasy by DrDoritosMD
https://www.scribblehub.com/series/937924/manifest-fantasy/

In the clandestine depths of Area 51, Captain Henry Donnager and his team step into Gaerra — a realm where swords and sorcery reign. Their arrival disrupts the fragile balance between the Sonaran Federation and the Nobian Empire, casting them into a mire of geopolitical intrigue. As tensions escalate, Alpha Team finds themselves both mediators and potential catalysts of conflict. In a world teetering on the brink of war, every decision could be pivotal. Will they tip the scales towards peace or set the sparks of war alight?

Military accuracy and authenticity guided by active and veteran US servicemembers

No harem, realistic geopolitics

Magical realism based on scientific understanding

0403 June 19th, 2020 CE

Alemany Boulevard, San Francisco

A single Abrams flanked by two Bradleys behind it pushed forwards on Sickles Avenue in order to try to get to Sagamore Street from Alemany Boulevard. The Abrams’ main cannon fired into the crowd of monsters in front. All the machine guns on the tank were basically firing as fast as possible while trying not to overheat. The Bradley’s 25mm were also going to town and laying down lead. 

 

Eric had finally been reunited with the remnants of his original unit. The Second Lieutenant was leading the way as they advanced behind their advancing armor. “Although there doesn’t seem to be any monsters small enough to fit, we are still going to have to clear all the buildings to make sure. Keep an eye on your side boys, don’t let them sneak up on you.”

The response was a bit muted since everyone was tired but everyone nodded.

“Look alive… look alive boys. I know we are all tired but we have a city to liberate.”

 

Eric raised his rifle and fired a few shots into the horde of monsters. The armor was doing most of the work but he and the rest of the infantry didn’t want to be left out. Of course it was uncertain if they had much effect since the armor was tearing the monsters apart. During all this time, he had yet to see a monster retreat. They all just seemingly mindlessly advanced with no care of casualties or fear for their lives. Eric got his back to a wall of a house. He was in a line of soldiers ready to breach in to clear the place. The soldier by the door kicked it open and entered

 

0703 June 19th, 2020 CE

Washington D.C.

The Chief of Naval Operations, Jeffery Mills, was in the Situation Room. “The Navy at Naval Port San Diego and Naval Station Pearl Harbor were able to send ships into the Pacific. We have yet to receive any news of them being attacked.”

The President nodded. “Although the enemy invasion is dying down, I want the Navy to form a defensive blockade at Hawaii and the West Coast. Prepare a special forces team with protective gear and get them on that island to check it out. Actually get the Navy to blockade the island too.”

“On that, sir. We should probably get a scientist to study that portal too…”

Ronell mulled over that. “What kind of scientist?”

There was silence at that question. Homeland Security Advisor Taylor Sky responded with a bit of uncertainty. “... maybe one that deals with wormholes?”

Cralson looked at him with a bit of confusion. “You think it's a wormhole?”

“Then what kind of scientist do we get?”

“We will look around and see who we can find. Maybe we can find one that actually studies portals?”

Ronell shook his head. “Make sure the person you get is an actual scientist and not a nutjob.”

“Not much of a difference but we will see.”

 

A few minutes later

Ronell leaned back and looked at the screens in the Situation Room. It ranged from news broadcasts to military maps that showed the progress of their push to retake San Francisco. An aide’s voice broke through the quietness. “Mr. President, we have gotten information on the chemical that the monsters used in their chemical attack. The scientist is contacting us via video.”

“Put him on screen then.”

A person appeared on the TV screen in front of the Situation Room. The aide rattled off information. “This is Desmond Shah. A leading expert on chemical weapons and among the team studying the chemical sample we obtained.”

“Nice to meet you Dr. Shah.”

Desmond sat down on the screen. “An honor to meet you Mr. President. My chemists have discovered a few things about the gas that these monsters used in their chemical attack.”

“Go on.”

“These chemical compounds don’t exist on Earth so we are unable to link it to any known chemicals. However through testing, we have been able to find that its effects are very similar to phosgene. It has many differences such as being green and a few other peculiarities that we are still testing.”

“I don’t really know what phosgene is? Care to explain?”

“Of course. I will just give you a quick description. Phosgene is a chemical compound that was used as a weapon during the First World War. It's a colorless gas with a suffocating odor. Phosgene targets the respiratory system, causing severe damage to the lungs and leading to a slow and painful death by suffocation.”

 

San Francisco

0615 June 19th, 2020 CE

A soldier to his right fired off an AT4 at the creature a few yards in front of him. It smacked it right in the chest area and punched a hole through it. Eric stopped shooting his rifle and sighed. “Another one down, let's see if there's anymore around.”

They looked around the street that was littered with the corpses of the monsters. Most of the monster corpses were blasted into pieces. His unit’s Second Lieutenant walked up and shouted at them. “We are clearing the nearby houses. We need you two on one of the breaching teams.”

 

Eric was the first one in. He pointed his M27 rifle with a flashlight attachment into the first room down the hallway. The light shone into the dark room. It was a living room with a TV and couch. A person was slumped over the couch. Eric called out to the person. “You alright?”

Eric walked up and shook the person a bit. Foam dripped down his mouth and his eyes were glazed. Eric quickly stepped back in a bit of shock. 

His second lieutenant, which Eric hadn’t noticed earlier, shook his head with a grim look on his face. “He’s dead. Most likely from the chemical attack.”

18