11 – In the Same Boat in a Storm
84 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

>facing troubles together<


 

“How are you planning to teach them?”

“Don’t worry, I would not teach them any secret recipe.”

As if Bai BingLu knew of his worries, she answered the question hiding within his words. 

“But you will teach them alchemy?”

“Only the basics, I would focus more on sword cultivating.” 

Mo Qing Tian leaned back on the chair. Despite their closed relationship, Bai BingLu had never told him of her past, only dropping hints once in a while. All he knew was that she had a very powerful sword and was really good at sword-fighting (even though she likes to underestimate sword cultivator’s intelligence).

He took one sip of rice wine he brought out. Not strong to make him drunk, just good enough to make him feel distracted. 

“I already sent a message to Lao Bai. Just wait until the intersect competition, you will be chew and spit out.”

“Why are you saying like I would attend the competition?”

“You’re not letting the two participate?”

Bai BingLu put her face onto her palm, Mo Qing Tian had a point. Letting the two participate AS AUDIENCE, of course, would definitely be advantageous to their growth. They would be able to broaden their horizon by observing others. Though a first-hand experience as in being a participant on the stage would be better, they were too much of a beginner. 

The intersect competition would be held in two years, while it was possible for Ji Shen and Xiao YiJun to train hard enough to reach the bare minimum of a participant, she would rather not place them in the light for attention for being her disciples despite being outsiders. 

“Have you checked the brooding one's spiritual roots yet?”

“No, but Xiao Jun has a good constitution so I’m sure it's a good one.” 

“I would tell the servants to prepare the crystal so go and get him.”

In the past, normal people would only be able to check their constitution at the sect where they would have to pass several challenges to enter. However, after the increase of mediocre cultivators, some sects opted to tighten the rules. Only those with three spiritual rules or less would be given a chance to participate in the entrance examination. Due to that, Bai Jia as a neutral organisation that can be found in several big cities was contracted to check the spiritual roots of people who wished to register for a sect’s entrance examination. 

 


 

Both Ji Shen and Xiao YiJun were brought out into the testing hall, wide enough to contain a few hundred people at the same time. At the end of the hall was a stage with three placeholders but only one was used to hold the soul crystal. 

The two children followed behind Bai BingLu that sauntered casually through the massive hall, unbothered with the gigantic size of it. Like usual, Ji Shen also remained giddy while Xiao YiJun thought of the logic behind such a big hall existing within the average size apothecary. 

“Xiao Jun, go and place your hand on the crystal.”

Xiao YiJun nodded meekly and did as he was told. 

The crystal released green and red lights.

“Dual spirit roots of fire and wood…”

The perfect spiritual roots for alchemy; to be able to fire the cauldron and take care of the ingredients in the greenhouse. 

Mo Qing Tian whistled and whispered to Bai BingLu, “Congrats, the elders would at least forgive you for this one. Just marry him into someone within the family.” 

Bai BingLu smiled wryly, “He is too young to be married off.”

“Wu~ Can’t bear your child leaving the house?” 

Bai BingLu huffed, “Shenshen, Xiao Jun, come. It's time for lunch.”

Xiao YiJun noticed that they did not check Ji Shen’s spiritual roots and pointed it out, “Ji-xiong is not tested yet.”

Mo Qing Tian stopped at his track and glanced at Bai BingLu who nodded into his direction. He took the hint and ordered all of the servants to leave the room.  

“I guess we should check Shenshen’s too.”

As expected to those clad in white clothing, the crystal shone in bright blue colour; heavenly water spiritual root. After all, when the scent of Bai BingLu was removed, they could detect the strong yin energy. 

Ji Shen glanced at Bai BingLu and Mo Qing Tian who both had an unreadable face. He clenched the end of his sleeves. 

Xiao YiJun was confused. What does the blue light mean and why does his brother look sullen? He only received the answer when his master summoned him late at night after Ji Shen had already fallen asleep.

 


 

“Xiao YiJun, come and sit with me.”

Bai BingLu invited him to sit next to her at the garden illuminated only by the bright moon. 

Xiao YiJun walked slowly, noticing for the first time how otherworldly his master looked like beneath the moonlight. 

Her ink hair was tied in a loose knot, strands were covering her glazed eyes that were staring at the teacup she was twirling unconsciously. The red robes were to be out of place within the toned down garden but it highlighted her skin, making her seem more alive. 

Before, praising her to be beautiful was a mere mouth service. It was false. Shizun was not beautiful.

Shizun is handsome.

Bai BingLu glanced at his direction and Xiao YiJun immediately froze. Then she gave him a lax smile, and instantly the image of a deep-in-thought scholar disappeared. 

“What are you doing, come here.”

Bai BingLu patted the stone chair next to her. Xiao YiJun made a cute small run to the stone chair and sat on it.

“Xiao Jun, you have to be kind with Shenshen, okay?”

“Is it because of his spiritual root?”

Bai BingLu smiled, filling her cup with rice wine, “Smart boy.”

“People want his body to improve their cultivation,” She took a sip, “You already know how ruthless cultivators could be when they wanted more power.”

Xiao YiJun clenched his fist.

“I am not asking much, just help him when he needs it.”

“Don’t worry, I won’t let him die.”

Bai BingLu chuckled, “Don’t be so serious, I can do the hard part. Just be by his side, okay?”

There was no need for Bai BingLu to even ask. When he decided to call Ji Shen his brother, he had already promised himself to protect the boy. He was family now and Xiao YiJun will not lose a family again. 

 


a/n: I had a backache and my brother that is learning to be a bone doctor told me to do knee-to-chest exercise but every time I move, it hurts.

 

2