Ch. 22: Dragged to the front
120 3 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Are you awake?” asked Zhou Liang.

A chunk of time had passed, I did not know how much. I spent it comfortably half-asleep, and all of my recent annoyance with Zhou Liang had turned to dust, dissipated by the steaming bathwater.

I mumbled, “Mostly…”

“Tomorrow I must depart to the Gold Plains. By Chenyi province there will be five-thousand cavalry and seven-hundred chariots, three-thousand infantry gathered and following us. You, come with me.”

I was drowsy at first, but woke up at his last statement.

“I’m coming with you? What?”

“Mn,” Said Zhou Liang, not appearing very happy, “This campaign will take several months.” There was unstated concern about what would happen to his household if he left me here. Which, who knows...

I was smiling ear to ear unintentionally.

Zhou Liang raised an eyebrow suspiciously. “Why are you joyful…”

“I’m so bored here,” I replied innocently, secretly delighted. Out at a battlefield, there are many more chances for an unfortunate and tragic incident to befall me. And well, it also just sounded more interesting than staying around at this place where everyone stared at me like I was a special mistress or their most hated enemy. One of the two. 

The general laughed. “I also thought your mind is very creative, it is a shame to keep it cooped up. Maybe you can assist with the planning the supply of rations, water, and-”

“Impossible…I can’t." I froze in anxiety, recalling bookkeeping, rules and regulations. "This ignorant commoner has no knowledge of those matters...”

“…” Zhou Liang put a hand on his brow. “Still obstinate? There’s no reason to evade it. Qin Fengge has already informed me about most of what you've done while serving as an official, the bad and the good. You had taken money from governors that embezzled and used it to fund public works or other endeavours. The Minister of Revenue was also not as wise in old age, you aided him by forming the budget every year—”

“Stop! Shhh!” My back shot up straight as a pole, about ready to jump out of the water and flee. I shuddered at the very thought of paperwork, of going back to my old life. “No no no. The general is mistaken!”

“Then I’m wrong…” said Zhou Liang, noting my exaggerated reaction. He leaned against the edge of the bathtub, the water splashing up along his divinely chiselled abs and pectoral muscles that were marred by scars of all kinds. I must admit it appeared both rugged and attractive. Oh my, and those nubs on his chest were a dark tan with a reddish hue.

No, stop. What am I ogling over? In the end it's still this damned general who has such a fine body. Ruins it. 

Zhou Liang continued, “Can’t I at least tell you about the state of war, then? I’d feel a little wrong taking you with me as a decoration.”

I relented, “…all right." Just military strategy by itself didn’t seem to include paperwork.

“Xin Country and the Tunjik Khanate have reacted much faster than we predicted. The battle at Fei Xuan pass months ago was not heavily invested in by either side. We couldn’t let them take the pass, but it hadn’t been predicted that Xin would withhold such a large portion of their army to march through the plains now. Our spies also informed us that they coming in quickly to take the lower reaches of the Qiang river, and their numbers are higher than ours.”

I began recalling the conversation between the military personnel at the banquet. And, if they had control of the river, they had control of irrigation. Famine for the farmers in the eastern plains was assured unless we were able to negotiate treaties. Aaah, but well, the bath water was too warm and calming, I didn't really feel like thinking about it...

I asked sleepily and lazily, “Say…why not construct a big wall, instead of all this back and forth?”

“You are only half awake.” Zhou Liang chuckled at the sight of my sleepiness. “The Qiang river floods most years and makes the land rich for farming. But that means a wall near it won't hold up, nor do we build a dam on the river.”

“Oh”, I yawned, then went on, “you must believe me…I knew that. I only forgot.”

“It’s easy to forget,” agreed Zhou Liang. “Especially when one is old.”

That last sentence was entirely unnecessary as I am not that old nor do I even look that old, but there was no energy to bicker. I placed my head back down on the edge of the bath, content to listen to the sounds of the water sloshing against the stone edge.

Ah, but Zhou Liang kept talking about the state of war...

The Great General Zhou was not just a big man on a pedestal, his extensive and intricate grasp on the situation was comprehensive, rivaling the Commander of War himself. He talked my ear off about enemy figures and our forces, political intrigue, and past battles. He stuffed it all into my head without reserve. If I were anyone else there was no way they’d remember a lick of what he said, moreover, I was very sleepy from my earlier activity and this bath.

It was inevitable I’d fall asleep partway through...

Zhou Liang was nudging me, his voice was not extremely loud, but enough to get me to open my eyes. “Get up. It’s time.”

I was on the general’s bed again.

...why does this keep happening? As I was readying, Zhou Liang began to place a fine layer of armour over his body, copper scales above a dark tunic with gold threads. 

“There is one thing I forgot to mention yesterday," he said. "What was the name, Cinnamon?”

My eyes immediately widened. Only Shen Jiu should know about Cinnamon. After that failed escape where I stole Qin Fengge’s horse, one day I couldn’t resist asking Shen Jiu if dearest Cinnamon had ever been found or if she was back at Zhou Liang’s stables. It was a matter of personal importance to me as I owed a great debt to Cinnamon for carrying me so far that day, even if I was too foolish to make use of it.

And the answer was yes, the nearest villagers recognized Cinnamon as a warhorse, so they quickly returned her!

Zhou Liang, understandably, laughed when he saw my apprehensive look at the mention of cinnamon. He said, “I was thinking, if you try something sneaky while we’re out, I’ll bury my grievances by eating horse meat hot pot1Shabu-shabu.”

I felt sorely defeated. “You can’t do this...Cinnamon has done no wrong.”

“It’s a horse. I don’t see any problem,” said Zhou Liang, the merciless and callous man that he is. “It’s a waste to eat a trained mount, but if it keeps you from trouble…”

"Me, cause trouble? I wouldn't dare." I tidied up my clothes, then rushed out the door before the general could say anything more, shouting in my wake, “Please don’t bother with me, I need to speak with Mister Shen!”

Ah, to think little stutter would take revenge on me this way. After I betrayed his romantic expectations and maybe spun a false rumor or two about him, now he’s telling Zhou Liang about Cinnamon…the world is so cruel, fated enemies2someone or something fated to be ill-matched, a phrase used to tell that because of Shen Jiu's loyalty to ZL, he and FS are fated to be enemies. So basically just FS being dramatic again

Unfortunately, today was the day of departure, all the military personnel were bustling about. Servants were sprinting all over the place like headless flies while loading up carriages and wagons with supplies. I went right up to the bustling main gate, several people glancing my way. Xu San immediately grabbed my arm and stopped me, trembling though he was.

“M-m-mister Fang!” he cried. “Where do you think you’re going? You can’t step out the gate!” I hadn’t said or done anything, but he shrank down feebly. “Er…sorry, sorry…but what is Mister Fang is planning to do?”

“I need you to go get Shen Jiu from the stables, I have something to tell him.”

Xu San was dubious. “But…but, Shen Jiu is very busy, as he is currently preparing many of the horses to—”

I shook my head impatiently. “You must bring him here to me now. Tell him that the General summoned him! He has a question about Lei Sheng3Just a reminder that this is the name of Zl's horse, the moody stallion whose name mean's 'lightening'. and yeah he's obviously just lying lol.”

The little guard immediately shook all over, if I were here on orders of Zhou Liang, he wished I spat it out at the very start rather than waste time like this. He went off with his waist sword clinking as he ran.

This method of using the general’s name was effective and gave satisfying results, within the span of two servants loading three crates onto a carriage, Shen Jiu rushed over to me. His brown tunic was muddier and had patches of sweat, stained from the havoc of the morning.

When little stutter saw it was me, he knew that what Xu San told him must have been a ruse. He could only raise one eyebrow.

“Mister Fang…is there something you need?”

I awkwardly walked a circle around him, so I stood in a position where I could see if Zhou Liang was coming or not without flipping my head dramatically, then summoned tears in my eyes. 

“Mister Shen,” I said, which made Shen Jiu frown, but I ignored it, “you have to give me Cinnamon for the campaign!”

Shen Jiu was startled. His face turned a little guilty and apologetic, his hands gesturing out in exasperation. “I hope Mister Fang can forgive this s-servant for discussing matters with Master Zhou. You have to understand, I want you to have s…s-afe travels…”

This—Shen Jiu is such a mastermind to plan along with Zhou Liang! Albeit, he did not even try to hedge around the matter as soon as I brought it up, honorable to a fault. I truly worry about him, spilling out the truth so easily.

Stepping closer to him, I implored, “I do understand. But can’t you let me ride Cinnamon myself? It won’t matter, because even if I’m on horseback, I can’t run from an entire army. Cinnamon is the horse I rode since I came from the capital. I don’t want someone else to take her into battle, and I’m most comfortable riding her.”

Shen Jiu’s heart was struck by my proclaimed attachment to Cinnamon, him being a horse obsessed fool and all, and in an instant he became receptive to my pleas. He sighed.

“I’ll make s…s-ure Cinnamon is especially given to you to ride. In any case, Master Qin was displeased at her behavior…er, he is riding a new mount now, so it won’t cause any problems. Then, forgive my rudeness but I must be on my-”

I grabbed Shen Jiu’s hand and held it tightly, making both him and Xu San jump.

“Thank you, Mister Shen.”

Attempting to pull away, Shen Jiu frowned. “Once again, please do not use honorifics, just call me-”

“You are the first real friend I’ve ever had,” I said as I squeezed his hand even harder. “I wish we had exchanged wine cups when we had the chance at the banquet and become sworn brothers. Nevertheless, I appreciate all the times we’ve spent together. I hope once I’m gone you will take care of yourself…don’t offend any more people or let them push you around.”

Little stutter wasn’t very happy about my dramatic goodbye that sounded like I would never see him again. He opened his mouth to object, but at this point Zhou Liang arrived. He hooked his arm around my lower back and dragged me to the side.

“Stop pestering Shen Jiu. He is busy.”

I said turned to him and spoke with tepidness, “Who is pestering who? I think you know best.”

Zhou Liang was still facing Shen Jiu and acted as though he did not hear, but deftly and cantankerously, the hand that was still around my waist tickled my side. I nearly choked on my spit and sputtered a few laughs in anger. Childish, Zhou Liang! You are so childish.

Shen Jiu watched the scene quietly then bowed. “This servant apologizes to master Zhou for becoming distracted from my responsibilities. I’ll get back to work right away.”

Zhou Liang waved off the decorum. “It’s all right,” he poked me on the cheek, “no doubt it was this one’s fault.”

I gave no reaction to this, stepping away from Zhou Liang as though I did not know him. Shen Jiu could not help but give a credulous laugh.

“Right,” Zhou Liang seemed to remember something, “I look forward to seeing the culmination of that new breed you have been working on, Shen Jiu.”

This stallion was one Shen Jiu had discussed with me as well. It was a rare breed from the west, far beyond Chong empire’s borders and imported from the silk road. It was rumored to have finer legs and speed compared to the other horses in the stables, but not as well suited to the climate here, and its build was slimmer. Shen Jiu had bred it with a few mares and was training the foals.

On the open plains and for light chariots, speed and agility are truly the most effective, if Shen Jiu could improve the current breed it would not be a small matter. At the least, general Zhou would gain an unmatchable mount. 

Shen Jiu was excited at once. “Yes, by the time Master Zhou returns, they will be the perfect age for riding. One is especially keen, you won’t be disappointed.” He saluted. “This servant is wishing the general success on his campaign, and may our empire remain victorious.”

Zhou Liang nodded then turned to leave. Thus, I parted ways with Shen Jiu, giving him a last smile.

“Farewell4As far as goodbyes go, 'farewell' is the most final one. Once again, FS is acting as though he'll never see Shen Jiu again.”

With some reluctance, Shen Jiu smiled thinly in return. “Please take care…”

Then general also didn’t appreciate how I worded it and gave me a harsh stare until I followed after like an obedient dog. This was only to be expected, for now. Any war is a long and arduous undertaking, I won’t be able to get my way so easily. It all starts with allowing Cinnamon to escape from the cruel and unwarranted fate of horse-meat hot pot…

Lol the thought of ZL turning Cinnamon into horse meat hot pot should probably seem a little ridiculous as a threat. At most Fang Shuren only buys into this 'threat' 30%. The other 70% is him playing along because it's like ZL has given him something to scheme about for fun. It's like when you're bringing a kid on a long trip but you know they'll get bored, so you just offer them a puzzle or phone or game to distract them. EZ WK

6