Chapter Fifty-Eight: Arcton – Unexpected Reunions – Part Two
337 10 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Okay, so Part Two of this chapter is kind of short. But don't worry. Chapter 59 is almost 6k words, and it's coming sometime this week. Maybe Thursday or Friday.

I retrieved the cigarettes I stashed when I went to Cassidy’s old shop after the raid on the underground slave market and popped one between my lips. When Albert was experimenting with blood crystal construction, he caught a red jewel on fire, and it would forever burn in our soul world until Itarr absorbed the flame. She had crafted it to look like a lighter.  

“A little thief, aren’t you? Those things will eventually kill you.”  

“Finder’s keepers, Cassidy. Finder’s keepers.” I took a draw and exhaled the smoke through my nose. “I’d be surprised if cancer was the end of me.” The old bat laughed.    

Any harm the cigarette’s toxins would’ve caused me had already healed.   

“Why…haven’t you killed me yet?” She turned to the railing and leaned against it, looking at the starry sky with an expression that was unlike her.    

“Do I have a reason to kill you?”  

“More…than most. How much does Momo know?”  

“Not the truth. I can tell you that much.”  

“You can’t keep something like that a secret.”  

“Why’d you run away?” I changed the topic.   

“Why not? I had nothing else left after the woman I pissed off participated in the raid on the underground slave market.”  

“What?” I was confused. “You knew I was involved?”  

She shook her head. “I had my suspicions, but I didn’t know until now. You’re too damn naïve. Don’t fall for bullshit tricks like that in the future.”  

“Haha!” I took another draw.   

“Lucy’s at the academy in Adenaford. She wasn't…herself.”  

“…”  

“She’s doing better. She’s getting the help she deserves. Butterfly Rumble’s planning to travel there sometime soon.”  

“Adenaford, huh?” Cassidy had this glossy look in her aged eyes. Her wrinkles seemed creased and smooth simultaneously.   

“Yeah. A new city. A new place for someone without memories to explore.”  

Cassidy grunted. She reached for her cigarette, but I gave her one of mine and lit it. “If I had known…you’d lost them. I wouldn’t—”  

“It doesn’t matter. I fucked up. I really did. I…fell victim to my hubris and did something without considering the consequences. You were right to yell at me.”  

“No. I wasn’t. I’m a drunk, Servi.”  

“And a chain smoker. And a liar. Did you tell Saline to cover for me?”  

“That was all her. She’s a good woman… She deserves something more than spending time taking care of my sorry old ass.”  

“And is that why you pushed her to the guild?”  

“Yep.”   

We took another puff. Spending this time was odd. It felt unnatural, but it wasn’t unnerving.    

“Fine. You want to know why I left?”  

“I’m curious, but keep your secrets if you wish.”  

“What did you tell Harold?”  

“What?”  

“You heard me. I know your ears ain’t for fucking show.”  

“He and his soldiers rescued me from being sold.” I added extra emphasis, and Cassidy understood. She just chuckled.    

“I see… What about Fisher?”  

“I don’t know what you mean. He died in the mines to stop a group from launching an invasion on Canary. But his death was…not unavoidable.”   

“…” Cassidy’s expression wasn’t easy to read, but she frowned and sighed. It was one I didn’t know how to feel about.    

“What are your plans from here? Why not have Saline join your little rumble?”  

“I’m open to it. We need Srassa’s input. But it’ll be fun. Having more friends… I doubt I’ll have the opportunity to make many more…”  

“Heh. You and me both, Servi. You and me both. But you can’t keep it in. It’s better to let it out before it gnaws at you.” Cassidy flicked her cigarette, but I caught it and told her not to be stupid. She just laughed. “Stupid, huh? You could say I’ve been stupid…for a long time now.”  

“Maybe, but you may want to practice what you preach before giving unsolicited advice.”  

“Hell, you’re right. I’m just a washed-up apothecary.”  

“But you are one. You didn’t have to teach Momo, but you did it anyway.”   

“I’m cranky, but she doesn’t need to see my repulsiveness. Not someone…with a heart as kind as hers… I’ll keep it in check while you’re here. Consider this shit hole your house for however long you want.”   

“Why’d you come to Canary if you had a shop here?”  

“…” Cassidy grunted.   

“Let me change the question. Were you running from something here? Why have me steal for you if you’re wealthy enough to have your own shop?”  

“You think it’s easy to pack up and move? That shit’s hard. And did it occur to you that maybe I arrived with more supplies? When you’re in a place like the slums… You go through materials fast. Everyone has something to cure… And when you don’t charge for services rendered? Don’t ask dumb questions. I thought you were smarter than that.”  

“Then tell me the real reason you returned without saying anything. You could’ve left a note.”  

“For you to track and kill me?”  

“Come on, Cass. Would I really do that?”  

“Do you want the truthful answer?” Her piercing stare kept me from instantly replying. “I had my reasons. Believe me or don’t. I don’t give two shits.”  

I was about to ask something insensitive—did Cassidy care about the people she helped? Was it just a little game? Or a way to pass the time?   

“Sorry. Guess you don’t want to talk about it. What happened to keeping your repulsiveness in check?”  

“Don’t get smart with me. You’ve seen the ugly side of life—you’ve experienced more than Momo believes. I doubt I’m the only repulsive one here.”  

“Can I ask one more?”  

“Is it going to piss me off?”  

“That depends on how you feel about phrine. Have you stopped using it?”  

“What do you think? Are you going to kill me if I say I offer it? Don’t you realize where we are?” Cassidy gestured around us. “They say there’s a spot where you can stand and hear every arena at once.”  

“Is that your justification?”  

“How do you think I keep the shop so well stocked? Dreamers dream, Servi, of winning it all. I’m not an honest person. I’m not…moral. I have a service…and offer it to those who want it. Now, do you feel like killing me? Knowing I’m still peddling it?”  

“What the hell is wrong with you? I’m not going to kill you. Just how drunk are you?”  

“…”  

“Look, it’s one thing with Lucy. She was using it to ignore…you know. But if some podunk fighter wants it of their own free will? Is it really up to me to stop it? I don't approve of it, but…”  

“But you hate monotonia?”   

“That’s different.”  

“How so?”  

“Because you made phrine.” Cassidy was dumbfounded. She didn’t know how to reply. “It’s your creation, and yeah, you’re crass and cranky, but you have a good heart. You wouldn’t have looked after Lucy if you weren’t. You just wanted to help her. Your intentions were just, I think—no matter what you call it— and you tried to stop her from taking it because you wanted her to be healthy. But you also provided free medical support to the slums. And I read your prices when we entered. I don’t know how you’re making money with everything so cheap, but it’s clear that you want to do some good in the world.”   

“That’s about the dumbest shit I’ve ever heard.” The aged apothecary turned away and sighed.    

“Getting emotional on me?”  

“Probably. Maybe I’m drunk." 

“Then maybe you should get some sleep?”  

“…”  

My phone buzzed, and it was Albert. The lesson was short, and Momo and Saline were tired. 

Saline’s readying a room for you and Momo. I’ll assist her.   

Okay. Thanks.   

Cassidy side-eyed my phone and didn't ask any questions. We left her room and returned downstairs.   

Momo was yawning. She rested her cute head on her bag and wiped her heavy eyes.    

“Oh, are you done moving stuff?”  

“Yeah. It’s handled,” replied Cassidy. “Did you talk to the elf?”  

“Uh-huh. Hey, Saline's gonna escort us around the city tomorrow. We’ll have our personal tour guide.”   

“That sounds like fun.·  

“It sure does, Servy. And maybe we’ll swing by the guild or something.”  

“It wouldn’t hurt to pick up an extra job or two. We can see if Sissy and the others want to join.”  

“That sounds fun. I dunno the job market in Arcton, though.”  

“That’s enough of that.” Cassidy gestured to Saline and Cue as they returned. They said the beds were made. “Go on and get some sleep.”  

“Right. Okay. Good night. Thank you again.”  

Saline said we were welcome, Cue barked and received some loving rubs, and Cassidy huffed. I followed Momo upstairs and found Albert in the room. He bid us goodnight and returned to my ring.   

 

17