Chapter Sixty-One: Mysterious & Unexpected Golems – Part Two
194 6 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Okay, so a small problem... I do my writing on Microsoft Office. More specifically, the online version since I can write from my computer and my phone. But nothing I wrote on 6 April 2024 saved. Like, not a single thing. I checked the history, and there was nothing there. For either of my stories, so I'm not sure what happened other than it being a very weird and annoying glitch, but I lost about 5k words and a bunch of editing. 

So...

Sorry about that...

I had planned three uploads this week, but it seems like we'll have two. Maybe three for next week. (I didn't plan it, but Chapter 62 is 1 part, and 63 will probably be 3 parts... It's 9.3k words.) I'm trying hard to catch up. 

“So… Here’s a question.”  

“Go ahead, Gerld.”  

“If the shape of your crystal alters its functionality, why haven’t you experimented before?”  

“I…don’t have a good excuse. I was thinking about that earlier. I really, really should’ve. If I had, I could’ve been more useful while in Waveret. My scythe is weak against things with hard skin or shells.”  

“Eh? Don’t say it like that. You’re good at dodging, so couldn’t you have kept the golems distracted while we did all the work?”  

“Uh, you know you just called her bait, right?” Gerld suddenly ducked, avoiding a slap he had predicted. “I’m getting better, you know.”  

“Yeah, well—ugh! I didn’t mean it like that, Servi.”  

“Haha! It’s okay. I’m glad I had that epiphany about my crystals.” I summoned Duskgun and Acidgun and twirled them. The motions came second nature. All I needed were holsters to keep them on my hips. Having them as an emergency countermeasure wouldn’t hurt at all.  

I still needed to mess around with different shapes, but that came later. 

Suusa swapped the topic to my fight. He inquired where I had trained, and I just answered that it was my instinct.   

“It’s just that?”  

“Yep. Some people are born with an innate talent for art or music. And I guess I was born with fighting. I’m pretty good at it, although I’m not sure it’s something to be especially proud of. Given the negative connotations and stuff.” I looked around and enjoyed nature—even as brown and dull as it was. We were probably about thirty minutes away from greenery.    

“I… I don’t think that’s a bad thing,” Suusa replied. “Fighting is something everyone uses. Having the skill will only help you when you find yourself in a situation that requires it.”  

“Maybe.” I looked at my hands and stretched.   

“Can I ask you one more thing?” I nodded. “How much were you trying?”  

“I’m sorry?”  

“In your two fights. It felt like you had more to give. Your wounds weren’t really hurting, were they?”  

“Then you’d be right. I didn’t think you’d be so sharp.”  

“Then—”  

“Yep. My pain tolerance is higher than most. And pain is something that reminds you that you aren’t dead. So... Why worry?”  

“I’m not sure that’s the right way to think about things,” added Gerld.   

We talked about pain and how it was supposed to warn you to stop doing something. To become a better swordsman, you’d have to train and push past your limits, learning to ignore your pain and setting it aside.   

“Are you really going to fight tonight?” asked Suusa.   

“Yeah. If I can get a spot. I don’t know if there’s time, but I’ll do it. Just bet it all on me, and you’ll go home with a fat wallet.”  

“Hell yeah! That’s what I’m talking about!” Gerld pumped his fist. Sissy told him to act his age. The two bickered like lovers as we entered the forest. The foliage wasn’t thick, but the leafy leaves ahead were dense. Tiny sprinkles of sunlight filtered in, but it was still rather dark and dim until we emerged past and made it to the road.   

The topic had switched to what we would do after returning to Canary. “Maybe we’ll head to Adenaford. I’m curious about the labyrinth, and I’ve never been to the capital.”  

“The labyrinth, huh? I’ll just say this. Whatever rumors you’ve heard are probably true, and it’s still like nothing you’ve ever seen.” I asked if they’d been, and Suusa said they had spent a couple of weeks there earlier this year.  

“It was fun? I mean, it was an experience. But there’s a ton of people in the capital. There are multiple guild offices, but the primary one is in the Nail. They’re almost always packed from sunrise to sunset.”  

“But they never closed. That’s the good thing,” added Sissy. “But you’re also competing with way more people than if you were in Canary or Arcton.”  

“You’d probably want to take a horse. I wouldn’t recommend roughing it.”  

“Suusa makes a good point. It isn’t impossible, but… Well, I guess it’s worth a single trip on foot if you wanna experience what it’s like.”  

“Hmm… It sounds like fun. What about you three?”  

“Us three? After we return the horse and wagon to Canary?” I nodded, and Gerld went silent. He rested his hands behind his head and looked up, pondering in deep thought—I didn’t think someone like him could make such an expression. I took him as a meathead—someone who let others determine his plans and actions for the day. “I’m not sure. We…coast—going where we want. We could stay in the city. Or we might head to Waveret and cross the ocean.”  

Sissy looked… different. It was slight, but something about her face didn’t seem right. It was the same with Suusa.   

“The future can be scary,” I said. “I’m not sure what I want to do, either. I guess I don’t have a goal in mind.” Well, I did, but it wasn’t one could confess to anyone. Itarr knew I hadn’t forgotten about our primary task. I was speaking generally of myself without bringing up the obvious.   

“Doesn’t that get uncomfortable?” asked Suusa. He adjusted his fluttering robe and scratched around his tusks.   

“It can. But I guess I go wherever the wind takes me. It took me to Waveret and Arcton. Maybe it’ll lead me to Adenaford and beyond? I’ve heard about Keywater, so I eventually want to visit it. It gets cold, apparently, and I wanna see the glaciers to the far north.”  

“Is that it?”  

“No, there’s more. I have friends across the sea, too. I haven’t seen them in a few months, and a lot has happened since we parted.”  

Sissy smiled, but it was tainted by a melancholic glaze. “Reunion can be a beautiful thing. Do you know where they are?”  

“I know how to contact them.” Itarr had the sigil they had gifted me safe in our soul world. She wanted to meet Llamare and Liealia badly.   

“Then I guess—” Sissy suddenly stopped speaking and moving. I asked what was wrong, and she turned behind and pointed. A caravan was traveling our way.   

They would’ve been nothing spectacular if the three wagons in the middle didn’t have cages built around the frame.    

“They’re slave traders,” grunted Suusa, his voice holding a guttural growl. “They’re probably doing a pickup in Arcton.”  

“I didn’t see any slave markets.”  

“They’re mostly in the noble district. That’s… Ugh, that's where the ‘money’ is at.” Sissy furrowed her brow.   

“Oi! You lot! Move outta the way!” The lead guard rode on a white stallion and waved us to the side. His armor was shiny and polished to a silver sheen.    

“Shit. Come on, let’s move over.” I followed Gerld, but I didn’t want to.   

But I had to think about my actions—like really delve into the consequences.    

What would happen if I made a move? Sissy and the others would be caught in the crossfire. Would they even be okay with me killing the caravan? And on that front, being so openly brazen like this meant the caravan must’ve had the proper documentation. In the eyes of the law, I’d be even more of a murderer than I already was.   

If Sissy snitched on me, then I’d become a criminal. The danger would spread to Momo. But the first carriage looked like it belonged to a noble, so the punishments would probably be more severe.   

They’d probably call for my head. Sissy and the others would probably be considered my accomplices even though they didn’t do anything.   

Harold could probably do something to help. Maybe he’d make it all go away? I could leverage a secret or two and insist I’d be more vital than some two-bit slaver noble. 

Nimyra had influence as the Queen of Night, but covering up the murder of a noble might be too much for her.   

Dineria still had pull within the guild as Dreadwood Shadow.    

And then there was Momo. Could she really accept me killing men in cold blood because they were slavers? I absolutely hated them.    

If I were alone…I could’ve done something. But there were too many risks.  

On the other hand, I didn’t have to murder them. They would pass by within five feet in a few seconds, and that was close enough to have a little fun. A little absorption here and there would… cause a commotion since the cages—something vital to keeping slaves bound—would be gone. Better yet, the entire wagon would vanish, leaving just a horse.   

Or what if it happened to the fancy carriage, too? Or the slightly dull one trailing from the rear?  

The slavers wouldn’t have proof it was me. But if that front one belonged to a noble, couldn’t they use their power and money to frame me?  

There wasn’t a jail cell within Arcton that could hold me. Chains or restraints were useless, but again... I didn’t want to drag my new friends or Momo into this.   

So…  

What was I to do? Could I do anything? If I were alone? Yes. Or if I had a way to go invisible? Yes.  

Goddamn it…  

Servi? Itarr’s voice was a welcome noise. I vented to her, but she didn’t have a good idea. She was thinking, though.   

“Be careful,” Suusa whispered as the last wagon passed us. Two mounted soldiers kept a watchful eye on us and commanded us to not approach too closely. "Your hands. You’re bound to break something from clenching them too hard.”  

“…”  

“Your hatred is showing. Do you despise them?”  

“I guess I didn’t hide it well. But yes, I do. Let’s say I don’t have the best experience with those sons of bitches.” I didn’t clarify, but that wasn’t needed. Sissy and Gerld looked like they emphasized with me. Maybe they went through something similar?  

I didn’t know, but Suusa suddenly whispered in a grave tone. “I cannot forgive them. Not even one.” We followed the caravan at the specified distance, but it didn’t stop them from checking on us every minute. “Legal doesn’t mean right. I have this…indomitable wrath that inflames my heart whenever I encounter one. It is hard to ignore it.”  

“And there’s nothing we can do, huh?”  

“Not unless you want to have Arcton on your back. I don’t recognize that carriage, but I know it belongs to a noble,” Gerld sighed.   

“No. There is a way. The golems and my magic share an element. I could…attempt to lure one. I have no guarantee it’ll be enough, but…”  

“Are you asking for my permission?”  

“Perhaps.”  

“I’ll just say this. The windows weren’t tinted. I didn’t see any children in the carriages—just greedy leeches who value how much they can get from selling people like cattle.”  

“What about Momo?”  

“What about her?”  

“Would she not approve of such methods? You two are close, so I doubt you would keep this a secret from her. You’d get angry if I were to ask.”  

I didn’t want to keep anything else hidden from her. I had too many things in the shadow. Living in the sunlight... It felt refreshing.  

I thought about it, though. Momo accepted my past, but that was different. I had good reasons to hate Fisher and Arnold. I was caught up in the underground slave market because of that golden bastard with the exploding worms. And monotonia was the devil. Those awful things shouldn’t exist, so I freely destroyed the warehouse and cargo ship.  

But this was just murder in cold blood from someone doing something legal. I…was okay with wiping out the caravan. Suusa’s golem plan would keep our hands 'clean.'

“There is no heaven for me,” Suusa whispered. Sissy and Gerld looked over their shoulders. “I’ve suffered injustice. The plan may not work. Or the golem that falls victim could be weak and mediocre. But I’ve secured my ticket to hell. I’d gladly go if it meant preventing one more from being put through...”  

“…”  

Itarr… Help me… I want to kill them. It isn’t right. People like that don’t deserve to live.   

I feel the same. I don’t know what Suusa experienced, but it’s horrible. This kind of stuff isn’t right. But I’m sorry. I don’t know how to help… But what if we’re looking at it from the wrong angle?  

What do you mean?  

The city entrance was busy when we left. If it’s the same when we return, we’ll have to walk by them. I could absorb everything—the wagons, the carriages, and their equipment, and no one would know it would be us. The crowd would shield us from suspicion.   

Itarr’s plan was solid if the caravan didn't get special treatment and shot to the front of the line. No one would die. The noble would be humiliated. And if rumors spread of someone targeting nobles and their property, then that might make a few leave the city for fear of getting robbed by some invisible force. It was like a children’s solution to a problem that needed a violent hand, but it was something.       

But did I want to reveal that much? Absorbing some barrels or boxes was one thing, but an entire wagon? Sissy and the others would know it was me. I could probably trust them, but... Was it better to practice caution?  

“I see that look. I know what it means,” Suusa grunted. I didn’t even say anything. He disapprovingly looked at me and walked ahead. Sissy and Gerld slowed and matched my pace.  

“And now he’s back to hating me. I didn’t even say anything...” 

“I wouldn’t say he hates you. Suusa... He has more reasons than most to despise them. Gerld and I are the same.” 

“But killing in cold blood?” That was ironic coming from me. “Wouldn’t... I dunno...humiliation be better?”  

Maybe I can steer them in the right direction. Or they can do something I can’t. If nothing else, I can act later today. It probably won’t be that hard to sneak into the noble district. Cassidy might know a hidden path. I’m no stranger to disguises. Yeah. That might be better. A little patience now can save a heartache later. But I gotta talk it over with Momo. I can’t do this kinda stuff without consulting her.  

“Ha! Humiliating a noble? You’re liable to be tossed in jail for a week. Look, nobles have weak egos. They can’t handle a joke to save their life.” Gerld shrugged his shoulders and sighed.  

“Well, hold on...” Sissy raised a hand. She put it to her chin and thought hard for a few seconds. “It’s sometimes better to humiliate someone than kill them. Ridicule them enough,” Sissy said, her eyes drilling holes in the empty cages twenty feet ahead of us. “And you aren’t responsible for what they do. Only they can take their own life.” 

“Driving someone to suicide?”  

“It isn’t my fault if a man slits his neck in shame. It just means he can’t handle what he’s doing to other people. And trash like that doesn’t deserve to live. Ah, sorry. Was that too harsh?”  

“Maybe, but I can’t say you’re wrong. I… really can’t.” Were we alike more than I thought?   

No one spoke for a good while—not until we made it to the flower fields. The city was within view, and yep-- There was a line of people waiting to enter. Arcton’s obsession with fighting circuits was a silver lining. Itarr’s plan was only possible because of them, but if I wanted to go with it... 

I had to decide now. But...

The ground trembled violently, throwing Sissy to her knees. The caravan’s horses didn’t know how to react. The drivers did their best, shouting commands while ordering the surrounding guards to get ready.    

But they couldn’t do anything when a 12-foot golem burst from under the middle wagon. It pierced through, roared, and sent an explosive wave of sharp fragments as I dropped to the ground. Gerld jumped on Sissy and covered her with his body, and Suusa remained there... 

Just standing—watching while corpses, blood, and body parts went flying. It was like a bomb had gone off, casting a crimson curtain of gore.

There was nothing I could do. The destructive chaos happened too fast for me to act.    

“Suusa…”  

“I did what I had to do. You’re too lenient, Servi. Passive action won’t allow the necessary changes to occur. I channeled my magic and nearly emptied my skill energy, but… Golems made of my beloved element answered my call…so soon after slaughtering them by the dozen.”  

The golem roared again, but it didn’t approach because we weren’t the threat it sensed. Adventurers from the city were already acting. A few winged-wildkin were rushing towards us. One held a staff. She raised it, unleashing a glob of acidic goop upon the golem, weakening its sturdy body. Another flew in low and used a thick sword—its edge leaking vile poison— to instantly cleave off an arm before flying away. A third shouted for us to not approach, and a raid battle ensured—one that quickly ended in the golem’s hasty defeat from the overpowered force.   

No, it was less of them being overpowered and more like they had the right spells for the job. Golems were a known menace around here, so obviously, many would be equipped with countermeasures.   

They weren’t that hard if you could soften them—something we proved earlier.    

“See?” Suusa turned to me as I stood, his expression a mix of dissatisfaction and satisfaction, a paradoxical blend that seemed almost like a mask to obscure his true feelings. “It worked out after all. It couldn’t ignore what it craves.” Suusa then opened his palm, revealing a glowing brown rock. He must have cast some [Earthforge] spell when we weren’t paying attention. You could probably sense skill energy, but I didn’t know how. The proof of his action crumbled as he closed his fist, the soft fragments scattering in the wind like ashes.

“The golem’s dead. That bastard isn’t living. The ones he paid to escort him have bit the dust. And nothing…of much value was lost.” Tears spewed from his eyes. “Tell Momo if you want. I can endure her hatred or fear. And yours isn’t different. In the end… We’re all flickers in a sandstorm. Adventurers always talk about meeting up and sharing stories of what they’ve been up to after parting, but fate rarely lets that happen. Like it or not… The odds of us meeting again aren’t favorable in this uncertain world.”  

I felt like he wasn’t crying for what he did. Rather... He vented his sadness for the golem he had lured with his magic. He knew it was going to die, but…  

Its death wasn’t for naught…but something…was off.  

And I couldn’t put my finger on it.    

A few hints about Suusa's past... Sissy's speaking kinda violently...

Hmm....

13