Chapter Fifty-Five: Telling the Truth
603 11 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

And...

Yeah. It's time for Servi to do what the Chapter Title says. 

The next day, we had plans to take Marissa and her daughters to Lucoa Village. It wasn’t a surprise or anything since we had asked if they wanted to go the day before, and while the still-grieving widow was uncertain, she wanted to continue seeing smiles on her daughters’ faces.   

Srassa had Jony prepare their most comfortable carriage, and we were off in one drawn by four white stallions. We picked up Marissa and her girls and enjoyed a comfortable ride to our destination. Mari and Meri looked so cute in their sundresses. Their mother said she struggled to change them out of their kitty-cat pajamas.   

Momo said she understood that all too well—mainly because she was a singi. She gushed about how cool and awesome cats were, then surprised Fisher’s daughters by asking if they wanted to touch her tail.   

Oh, four little, greedy mittens rubbed her tail, and she laughed all the while.   

“Mama, I wanna be a singi like her!”  

“I’m sure you do, sweetie. But—”  

“Hey, I have another surprise… Tada! Check this out!” I pulled a pair of cat-eared headbands from my ring, and four sparkly, bright eyes gushed in happiness. Srassa took them from me and put them on the children, and they were ecstatic.   

“Mama! Look!”  

“Yeah, look at us, mama!”  

“You both look very adorable.” She looked my way and mouthed a word of thanks.   

“I wished I had something to act like tails, but that’s a bit harder.”  

“Tails?! Servi, I’m very impressed with these…crystals, but… Aren’t they valuable? Are you sure you can give them away?”  

“There’s a secret behind the construction, but let’s just say I have more than anyone could ever want.”  

“You’re so sweet. You all are. I… Girls, do you want to look out the window?” Marissa changed the subject. Mari and Meri stood on the seats, oohing and awed at the passing scenery.   

“It’s okay, Marissa,” Srassa said.  

“Is it? You’re doing so much for us. Last night, they didn’t cry. I tucked them into bed after bath-time, and they looked at the figurine of their father you made them. They said they needed to be strong like him to protect me.” Marissa silently teared up. Srassa handed her a handkerchief from her pocket. “Thank you.”  

“I hope we can be friends for a long time.” Last night, Albert helped me examine my feelings. He had such a way with words that I found myself venting my entire heart in moments, and he helped me get to the bottom of the primary distaste I held in my heart.   

Fisher…  

He was an awful man—a brutal butcher of innocents. Yet he was forced to do it. Arnold was the man full of sin who wielded Fisher like an unbreakable sword.   

But…  

Didn’t I do the same? I killed those that I felt deserved to die. And Itarr was my sword—my divine blade of retribution—who transformed me into a Goddess of Souls and Immortality.   

Just how different were we?  

Probably a lot, right?  

I realized I was transferring my hate to his family precisely because I unconsciously—partly—saw myself in him.   

I was a murderer.   

That was a fact.   

And I had stolen a man from his wife and children.   

Maybe things could’ve been different. Fisher seemed remorseful enough. And Arnold was behind it all. Fisher was even ordered to kill Feral, but he refused and gave the kobold money to reach Adenaford.    

“Same here. My grandpa said you could never have too many friends. Besides, Mari and Meri are a bunch of cuties.” 

“I concur!” Srassa came on too forcefully, but Marissa covered her mouth and laughed like a noble.   

“You’re all so sweet and kind. It’s a beautiful sight.”  

“Oh, and don’t think I’ve forgotten about you.” Marissa was perplexed, but she blushed when I gave her a set of headbands to match her daughters. “I have a headband with dog ears.”  

“Dogs? Don’t tell me you’re leaving me to go to the other side! Touch my tail! It’s way softer than a Dogkin!” I knew Momo was playing it up. But it was all fun and games. And it was for their benefit.   

Based on what little I knew, there would be a time when something so utterly insignificant would trigger a flashback to the past. It could be a sound or smell, or maybe the shadow looked too familiar. Perhaps the flowers resting in a passing field would be more vibrant than usual.   

Suddenly, you’d be pelted by memories of your lost loved one. And at that moment, you’d feel so weak. So insignificant. Unable to even wonder how you'd survive without them by your side.   

Albert had said he experienced much of the same. He had lost many allies during the years he spent adventuring with Virin. Some were close-- some were distant-- but there were always those moments of weakness.   


Svelte welcomed us as the carriage pulled in front of his house. Momo was surprised that he knew we were coming, but then Albert emerged from my ring and said he had arrived late last night. Marissa and her girls were shocked at seeing Albert, but they calmed down when they realized he was my spirit.   

“I’ve never seen a Bicornkin before,” said Svelte. “But welcome to Lucoa Village!” Svelte faced the girls and spread his arms! “We’ve got cows, chickens, horses, pigs, and a lot of yummy food! What do you want to see first?”  

“The cows!” said the girls, throwing their arms in the air. I produced a pair of cow-eared headbands and gave it to them. I told them I’d store the cat ears until we left.    

“The horses!” said an overly excited Momo, who was caught up in the fun. She nervously giggled with embarrassment.    

Svelte led the way to the cows. Mari and Meri grabbed Momo’s hands and followed their guide.  

Moo, moo, cows all day, 

They love to munch and play. 

With their moo and wagging tails, 

Cows bring happiness that never fails. 

 

Their milk is tasty, creamy too, 

Good for me and good for you. 

Cows are gentle, cows are kind, 

Their presence soothes the mind. 

“I never knew the captain was so good with children,” I said, listening to her childish, cute song. I followed behind with Srassa and Marissa. Albert had returned to my ring.    

“It’s a heartwarming sight to see Ms. Momo like this. It feels like we’ve discovered another side to her.”  

We looked at Marissa and found her humming along to the song.   

Yeah. This day was just what they needed. A family outing. One with fun, joy, and a lot of love and happiness.   

And today turned out to be just that.   

We spent a lot of time brushing the cows and milking them. Mari was scared because she didn’t want to hurt the cows, but Meri jumped in. She looked at Momo like the teacher she was and learned almost immediately. Then she helped Mari out.   

After that, Svelte took the buckets and poured the freshly squeezed milk into a pair of cups, followed by another joyful rendition of the cow song.   

The horses came next, which meant I brought out the headband with horse ears. I even gave one to Momo, who put it on right away.   

Momo's adoration for horses was undeniable, and witnessing her enthusiasm was endearing. Despite her limited riding experience, she embarked on a delightful farm excursion with Meri and Mari. Svelte led the stallion by a lead while walking ahead of them for safety.   

Marissa joined them after Svelte let her borrow a horse. She was a former noble, so it made sense she knew how to ride one. And that meant Srassa had the skill, meaning I was the one lacking.   

Nevertheless, I embraced Srassa’s waist while I sat behind her, relishing the leisurely stroll we all enjoyed. Mari and Meri didn’t want to stop, but Momo patted their heads and said the horses needed to rest.   

That was when we stopped for a nice lunch. Srassa had asked the chefs and Jony to prepare something light, fluffy, filling, and perfect for children.   

The wondrous meal?  

Cloudy pancakes, of course! 

Momo told the girls about it, from the ‘enchanted’ flour and ‘special’ milk used in the batter to the ‘fairy dust’—sugar—sprinkled on top. She played into their childlike wonder and went the extra mile to make it seem like they were eating pancakes made from clouds. She drizzled a few drops of honey on top. “An exclusive team of super honeybees, employed by the Princess of Farm Animals, worked tirelessly to make this sugary treat!” Momo raised the bottle.   

Mari and Meri clapped, then tore into their savory treats.   

As for us, we enjoyed pancakes with a cup of tea, bread, jam, and eggs. It was an abstract lunch. Something probably fit for breakfast, but it was tasty. Momo even pulled out the red cloth we had used when we had a picnic the first time we came to the village.   

After that, we got on our horses, returned to the village, and spent the next four hours with the chickens and pigs. Momo taught the girls about eggs and enjoyed the chance to spread her farming knowledge. When she was younger, she helped her grandfather’s friend on his farm, so she knew a lot. Svelte was impressed by her knowledge. It almost turned into a competition between the two about who knew more, but it stopped before it got too heated.   

The day had to come to an end, though. The sun was parting ways for the moon to take over, casting a ruby-red twilight over the horizon.   

During the trip back, Marissa’s daughters fell asleep with their heads on her lap. Momo had exhausted herself and snoozed against my shoulder.   

The ride was enjoyable. Mostly quiet, although we chatted about the day. The emotions were probably too much for Marissa. She struggled to keep her tears in, but the widow didn’t need to hold back.   

She rubbed her girls’ heads and softly sang a song her mother had once sung to her. It was a twilight lullaby—about a star and a cloud that loved each other. But one belonged to the night, and the other lived during the day.   

They were forever searching for a way to be with each other, and although you could have clouds at night, the one the star was in love with never showed up.   

It was a terribly sad story, but it ended with stardust and water vapor—the forms they took after the world's end—finally meeting and becoming one, creating a new world. 

It was incredibly morbid, but in a fairytale type of way. You’d have to read between the lines to truly understand how depraved it was. But Marissa said she liked it because, no matter what, the star and cloud managed to reconnect. They fell in love, and that love birthed a new world and saved everyone.   

She whispered that her husband was waiting in the afterlife. And as much as she wished to be in his arms one more time, she had an obligation to raise their bundles of joys. “So… Wait for me, my love…” She was crying again.   

I… technically had the SP needed to unlock a new revenant slot. And… I could bring Fisher to life… 

But fuck…  

I didn’t know…if I wanted to.  

The decision agonized me long after we had said goodnight to Marissa and her children after dropping them off at their house. And when we returned to Srassa’s mansion, I was still conflicted.   

Even after cuddling under the covers, holding hands, and kissing each other sweet goodnight… I was nowhere close to an answer.   

That was our primary discussion after she and I had shared a passionate moment in our soul world. 

“I’m so lost.” Itarr rubbed my cheeks and patted my head.    

“I’m sorry,” she spoke sweetly. “But I don’t know what to do. I wish I could help, but… Hey, it’s okay to cry, okay? I’ll hold you like Nimyra did. And I’ll kiss you like Momo and Srassa. We can find an answer together, okay? Albert once told me something. He said we never have to fight alone—there'll always be people offering to help. I’ll be that person, Servi.” 

“At this point… I can’t keep track of my lies. Nimyra knows one thing. Dineria another. Harold something different… I…want to stop lying. It doesn’t make me feel good anymore. Why can’t I say… ‘Hey, I’m immortal. I can’t die. But I still wanna be good friends. I still wanna have a good time.’” 

“Why can’t you?”  

“I’ve already…told so many lies. What is Harold going to do? If he knows I’m immortal... He’ll probably realize I lied about the attack. Then what? Arrest me? It’ll break my friends’ hearts. And… He might blackmail me to work for him because I killed Fisher. He could admit the truth to Marissa. Or he might tell his daughter. Or the duchess. And then I’m Lando’s number one criminal. Itarr?”  

“Yes?”  

“I fucked up. I managed to tie myself into a trap, and I don’t know how to get out.”  

“You could make Fisher your revenant. If he returns to his family…”  

“Albert looks like a kid. I don’t know when he’s going to be in his prime. And Fisher’s stronger, so it’ll probably take longer for [Soul Remembrance]. And probably way more expensive.” I pushed off her chest and looked down, my eyes hazy with regret.   

My goddess looked. She caressed my cheeks and tightly hugged me... 

And I cried... 

And she never let me go. 


The night after attending Lucoa Village with Marissa and her children, I stayed with Nimyra, but not before heading to Dineria’s shop and asking her to meet me there.  

What I had planned concerned her.    

We chatted for a long while during dinner. It seemed the ever-graceful aspect of time did heal all wounds. A rest period helped Nimyra’s mind come to terms with my secret, although Dineria’s presence helped a lot, too.   

I also told them about my blood crystals-- including the fact they came from my blood. When I asked if I could give the two a present, I expected them to turn me away in disgust, but my friends nodded.   

I retrieved a red necklace with a ruby locket from my ring. It wasn’t perfect. The links were crooked and uneven, but I was proud of the intricate etchings. Nimyra opened it and gasped…because there was a tiny sculpture of her, me, and Lucy holding hands.    

For Dineria, I went with a red bracelet of a leaf that went under her wrist. It also popped open like a locket, but I apologized and said I didn’t know what to put in there.   

“I’m not so good at the intricate work. You can thank Albert for that,” I said, prompting him to emerge.    

She thanked him and me for the gift.   

Albert was about to return to my weapon, but Nimyra asked him to stay. She looked him up and down and instantly deduced he was far older than his child-like appearance led him to believe.   

“Oh, you’re correct, Lady Nimyra. Or shall I refer to you as the Queen of Night?” Albert sat and cracked another blood crystal to remain materialized for longer…  

My friend was enamored with how eloquently he spoke. When the time felt right…I asked Dineria if she could do what she had done in Waveret. She nodded, and in seconds, the room was…sealed off from anyone attempting to leer within via dubious methods.    

I told her everything—with Albert’s permission for the stuff about him—but it was in a low whisper.   

And yes…  

I even told them…about Itarr.    

“I don’t want to keep lying. And… I’m so conflicted about Fisher. He did bad things. Harold ordered me to kill him. But did I want him to die? No, I wanted him to be punished. Even if it meant his family would be hurt from everything he had done being public knowledge, I was just so consumed by hatred. He did nothing when I died for the first time. Nothing! And… And…” I grabbed my hair and sighed.   

Nimyra and Dineria were brought to tears. They put a hand on my back before hugging me.   

“I didn’t know you were carrying this much,” Nimyra said.   

“It’s okay, Servi. You can let it out.”  

Nimyra and Dineria were too gentle. They showed someone like me a lot of kindness. And maybe it was more than what I deserved?  

Was telling them a mistake? It was more for my sake than theirs, but…  

Did I just put them in danger?  

I vented my heart. Everything came flooding out like the crushing force of a thousand waves.    

Albert and Itarr spoke to me and offered their gentle words.   

Before I knew it, I was in Nimyra’s bed, lying between her and Dineria. I’d stopped crying, although I felt empty and cold. But the warmness of our body heat and my kitty cat pajamas made me feel happy. I turned to my side and rested my head against Nimyra’s chest. Dineria hugged me from the back and said her spells were still active, and we…just talked.   

About Fisher.   

About Arnold.  

About Parrel Biggins.   

About Myrokos's control over Lucy.    

About how I shared a soul with a goddess…  

Nothing was spared.    

I thought being a goddess would’ve been the hardest to believe, but my mentor said that explained my immortality. I asked if they were scared, and they said they weren’t.   

“You’re not the girl to lie like this,” said Dineria. “Okay, so I know why you lied, but you aren’t one to make up tales just to get attention. We’ve traveled and fought together for long enough that I’ve come to understand you. You’re still my student. And I’m still your mentor. Knowing this won’t change anything.”  

“What do I do about Momo? About Srassa? And about my involvement in freeing the slaves? And knowing Viridian Keywater was the duke? And how that bastard knowingly allowed monotonia to enter the city? What about me raising the dead? Albert’s living proof, and—”  

“You have to take it one step at a time, sweetie,” Nimyra said, rubbing my head. She softly patted my back.   

“No matter what… You can’t… What we spoke of cannot leave the room. I’m…sorry—”  

“No apologies.” Dineria’s voice was sharp. “We’re happy you trust us this much to tell us. We like you, Servi. You’re someone we care about. You saved Lucy, got rid of the pills…”  

“Then what about Marissa? I murdered her husband… He repented near the end. And…I could bring him back as a revenant. But he won’t look like himself. And… He’ll be forced to stay away from his family. He can see them from a distance. But he… won’t ever hold his daughters. They won’t believe he is who he says he is.”  

“Servi…” I cried harder and whimpered.   

I felt like a fucking mess.   

A goddamn deranged psychopath... 

Someone who acted first and then asked questions...   

I thought I was the hot shot. That I was this grand savior who fought for those who couldn’t.   

But was I?  

Fisher was a victim.   

Arnold was the perpetrator.   

Fisher… I should’ve fought for him…but I was blinded by hatred and anger.   

And...  

Suddenly, Dineria started singing. It sounded like a lullaby, but I knew it wasn’t in whatever the common tongue was.   

I didn’t know how I communicated unless Itarr’s soul had done something. That was a mystery I never put an ounce of thought into. Unless maybe I automatically acquired masterful fluency in the first language I heard? Or maybe there was some innate common tongue?  

It didn’t matter. I tried to simmer my emotions and focused on Dineria’s enchanting voice.   

Hush now, little one, close your eyes so tight, 

Beneath the moonlit canopy, nestled in starlight. 

The leaves rustle softly, a lullaby they weave, 

As the gentle forest whispers, it’s time to gently sleep. 

 

Dream, dream, in nature’s embrace, 

Where moonbeams dance and fireflies chase. 

The night sings a melody, a soothing refrain, 

Guiding you to slumber, where dreams shall remain. 

 

See the shimmering river, flowing calm and clear, 

Reflecting silver moonbeams, banishing all fear. 

The owl softly hoots, a melody on the air, 

As woodland creatures slumber, in dreams beyond compare. 

 

Dream, dream, in nature’s embrace, 

Where moonbeams dance and fireflies chase. 

The night sings a melody, a soothing refrain, 

Guiding you to slumber, where dreams shall remain. 

 

In this magical forest, the night sings its lullaby, 

Whispering secrets of the stars in the sky. 

Rest your weary eyes, let your worries fade, 

In this haven of dreams, where peace is made. 

 

Dream, dream, in nature’s embrace, 

Where moonbeams dance and fireflies chase. 

The night sings a melody, a soothing refrain, 

Guiding you to slumber, where dreams shall remain. 

 

25