Vol. 2 Chapter 12: The Fall (Part 2)
757 14 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Art commission for future volume cover. Who will it be?
  • Kirie Foirena Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Asa Foirena Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Rinka Foirena Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Ashliv Diavelia Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Kureha Votes: 8 16.3%
Total voters: 49

Alphonse heard a voice pierce his stricken mind. Something reached under his arm and attempted to force him to his feet.

“Evan- Evan! Wake the fuck up!”

Alphonse turned his head and saw that it was Ash. Her teeth were clenched and her eyes bore into him. The fox ears on her head stood straight up as she examined his face.

“They're still alive,” Ash said, her voice rising. “But they won't be if you keep acting like a fucking pussy! Get up and set an example! You're the leader!”

When Alphonse didn't respond, she raised her hand as if to slap him across the face, but he lifted his arm and blocked with his wrist before it could connect. His mouth opened and closed as he attempted to speak before he fully collected himself. He looked up and saw that Ash's expression had softened a bit.

She was right. He remembered the Siren Incident when he'd been rendered helpless. He remembered how Kirie and Asa stood against the enemy and protected him. They'd been immovable despite the danger their enemy posed.

Her words resonated with him somehow. They held the same sentiment as that one time...

Alphonse rose and took a step forward. Then another.

My turn, he thought.

The blanket of gray clouds in the sky roiled in waves. Alphonse felt a cold mist mature into droplets that spattered against his face. The rain fell heavier and saturated the dirt. It helped him focus.

He pressed his lips together in a hard line and stared in the direction of the unconscious Kirie. Ash had given him the same look as the warrior catgirl when he first met her in the dungeon. A few months had passed since then, but he remembered her exact words when he stood up through his pain and fatigue. They'd been so simple, “Well now, that's better.”

His eyes shut out the extraneous surroundings. All he saw was the ogre that had transmogrified into what he could only describe as a foul abomination. It sought to tear down his home. It had hurt a member of his family.

The movements of such a large monster are telegraphed, Alphonse thought. Reading its regular attacks should be trivial. I just need to buy time for Asa to work her healing magic.

He observed the tentacles thrashing from the ogre's back. They would be more of an issue, but Alphonse figured if he focused on them the most and then on the rest of the ogre in his periphery, then he stood a chance.

“We need to hold this fucker off,” Alphonse growled. “It thinks I'll go down easy, so we'll use that to our advantage.”

Ash raised her scimitars and proceeded forward next to him. “We'll do more than that,” she said.

Alphonse scoffed before raising his voice and shouting, “Everyone, keep your wits about you!”

He saw Asa and Emily stare at him with tear-streaked faces. He could clearly see them, even through the rain that sought to wash them away. The spellcasters continued to heal Kirie and Liam, but now their despair was replaced by anger as they watched Alphonse and Ash prepare to face the ogre.

Alphonse heard Asa and Emily scream their enraged encouragement as he quickened his pace and charged forward.

The ogre reared up and expanded its chest as it awaited their imminent clash. “So, you do choose to fight!”

Alphonse watched the tentacles thrashing on the monster's back. One of them stiffened for a split-second before assuming the shape of a curved spear and launched at him. He dodged to the side and continued analyzing the other appendages. Another went rigid before discharging to intercept his intended path. He slid to a stop and redirected himself as the spear dug into the ground where he would've been if he continued his next stride. A third sliced along his hip as he made a slight miscalculation, but he knew it was only a minor flesh wound.

So, that's how they work, Alphonse thought.

Two more of the tentacles launched simultaneously at Ash before Alphonse could shout his findings to her, but he wasn't surprised to learn that the fox woman had already figured it out as well. She planted her foot as a chunk of the ground broke free from the projectile and ducked down to avoid the second.

Alphonse dove forward as the ogre swung its flail at his legs. He fell into a shoulder roll as the follow-through motion exposed the ogre's side where the entrails still dangled from its gut. The black sludge had sealed the wound shut somewhat, and Alphonse drew his sword along the wound to make it fresh once again. More innards spilled forth and black sludge marred the dirt road that was now turning to mud from the rain.

Ash sliced along its other side and made a deep gash that spurted more of the foul fluid. She continued on to remove herself from the monster's periphery.

Alphonse read the ogre's next move based on its stance. The monster whirled about with support from its back leg and lifted its leading foot. Alphonse didn't slow as he slid underneath and emerged out the other side as the foot came down to send up a splash of mud. He sliced along the ogre's recently mended achilles tendon that he'd damaged before. This time he had drawn a dagger as he slid and continued stabbing into the foot. The ogre had no way of turning around to grab him as it lurched forward.

Ash used its bent arm as a platform to leap on its back and sliced two of the tentacles with quick swipes from her scimitars. She threw her legs and arms into a circular motion to make a jumping cartwheel over another appendage and stabbed both scimitars into the back of the ogre's neck. The points of the blades emerged on the other side through its throat. She jerked them free just in time before the monster could reach up and grab her in its meaty, hardened hands.

Alphonse watched for Ash's landing position and backpedaled away as the ogre flailed blindly in an attempt to land a lucky blow. They weren't the attacks of a creature in the throes of death. The two fighters were already aware that mortal wounds didn't work like on normal creatures.

I see them, Alphonse thought. He dodged another horizontal swing from the ogre's flail. The chain passed above him and arced over the ogre's shoulder as it finished the swing. In the midst of his crouch he took a sliding step forward and narrowly avoided another black spear that grazed his wrist guard.

I see its moves.

The ogre was clearly being controlled by something. It didn't attack with the usual calculated strikes from their first engagement, and it was almost as if there was some sort of input delay after each motion. The crazed, puppet-like movements were easily telegraphed, and Alphonse's own improved perception was certainly working wonders.

The ogre raised its club high. “Enough of this! Initiate active skill, Gorge of Totality!

The monster slammed the club into the ground and created an even larger fissure than when it directed the skill at Liam. Instead of dodging to the side or moving back, Alphonse opted to charge towards it instead. The earth spread and roiled with greater intensity the further it traveled. Alphonse made a couple quick side-steps and then leaped over the fissure before it had a chance to reorient itself based on the ogre's control. The earth exploded behind him and propelled him forward slightly from the force. He reached out with one free hand and tucked himself into a roll as the ogre's flail sailed over him and smashed into the ground. The monster was clearly focused on him. It seized no opportunity to attack Ash.

Alphonse fell out of his roll and raised his shortsword overhead in an arc and sliced along the ogre's wrist that remained in place after it brought the flail down. He dug his feet deep in the mud to gain more traction and continued his movement forward to avoid the black sludge that poured from the laceration.

“What is this?” the ogre roared. It's merged voices held a shared frustration. “Why can't I hit you?”

Alphonse felt a surge of energy in his body as the two remaining tentacles on the ogre's back shot towards him. He angled his shortsword to parry the first out of the way, but he felt a sharp pain as the second dug through his boot and stabbed into part of his foot. He ignored the pain and severed the hardened appendage. Even he was momentarily surprised when the hard material sliced cleanly with little resistance.

As he looked at his arm, he noticed the crimson hue that traveled along the contours of his body. Asa had provided him with the rest of the offensive buff that she usually reserved for Kirie.

A stray thought briefly intruded on his calm focus. It served to boost his concentration further as he brought himself back to the battle mindset. There were still plenty of allies that had his back as he fixated on his goal.

Smart catgirl, Alphonse thought.

He saw Ash rush to the ogre's rear and attempt a sneak attack, but the ogre seemed to realize at the last moment that the fox woman was missing. It lifted its foot and delivered a back kick that, unfortunately, managed to guess correctly. Ash crossed her scimitars in front of her and let the blades glide along the ogre's flesh as she redirected the strike; however, the ogre apparently held another tentacle in reserve. It was no more than a slight lump near the small of its back, barely noticeable. The appendage curled around the ogre's body and launched towards Ash before she had a chance to reorient herself. She twisted her body midair and the black spear pierced through her right shoulder. The spear returned to its tentacle form and flung her off to the side. She landed straight on her back and slid through the mud to the edge of the road. Luckily, there were no obstructions to put a sudden, violent halt to her velocity. Friction did all the work Ash needed, and she managed to pull a leg underneath her to assume a crouched defensive posture.

Alphonse grimaced when he noticed the slight stumble as she rose. The arm that had been pierced hung limp at her side. One of her scimitars stuck from the ground between her and the ogre.

“Godsdammit! That fucking smarts!” the fox woman shouted. An entire half of her face was covered in mud with some of her hair matted over one eye. She reached into her waist pouch and slapped a mound of what looked like curing ivy over the wound in her shoulder. The herb didn't necessarily have the immediate curing effects from a healer's spell, but it would at least numb some of the pain.

Alphonse tore his eyes away from her, certain that he was probably about to be in plenty more danger than she was at the moment.

He was right. The ogre leaned forward and flexed its arms in front of it. More black sludge bubbled on its back as the damaged tentacles reformed.

Fuck this, Alphonse thought.

His mouth parted in surprise as he saw a massive fireball emerge behind the ogre. The monster didn't even seem to register the heat, likely due to the pouring rain that was now assaulting them in sheets. The orb of flames floated above it for a few seconds before collapsing into its back, incinerating all of the tentacles that hadn't fully reinstated themselves. The ogre stumbled forward and planted a fist on the slick ground to brace itself. The spiked club fell from its hands and landed between its knees.

Now!

Alphonse rushed forward and jumped over the ogre's hand that reached for him desperately. He went wild with his swings and attacked any soft flesh that he could find. He didn't know how much damage he dealt, but it was encouraging to see the black fluid seep forth from the wounds. Every little bit counted.

He heard a familiar voice off to the side, and his heart skipped with joy when he heard the words shouted, “Initiate active skill, Seat of Carnage!”

Alphonse pushed himself back as the glowing blades of a double-edged axe appeared outside his periphery. The ogre only had time to lift its head slightly before the axe dug into its skull with a sickening crunch. The crimson flames poured over the monster's face and drowned out its screams as the inside of its mouth bubbled with blisters from the heat.

The warrior beastkin adjusted her grip and drew the blade down the ogre's head and sliced through its cheek, all the way down to the chin.

Kirie retreated to Alphonse's position and gave him a half-smile to hide a slight wince that he didn't fail to notice. He observed her shoulder and noticed the blood still seeping from the wound. Kirie, being her stubborn self, hadn't allowed Asa to finish the healing completely when she saw Alphonse fighting the chaotic ogre.

“Welcome back,” Alphonse said, returning the grin.

She spit a glob of blood on the ground and gave him a hard look before poking his arm with the head of her axe. “Crazy bastard. Did I mention you're a showoff?”

“Maybe once or twice,” Alphonse responded.

He looked to his other side and saw Ash approaching, holding her one useless arm with her opposite hand.

“Hells,” Ash muttered. “You act like you haven't seen each other in years. Stay focused.”

Alphonse humored her, even though his attention hadn't left the ogre during their brief exchange. It was incredible to think that the monster still managed to function at all. One of its wrists was nearly obliterated thanks to all the cuts from Alphonse's shortsword and daggers. One leg moved sluggishly as the severed achilles tendon failed to hold the weight of its leg without splitting often. Its jaw hung by threads of skin on one side from the attack dealt by Kirie, and part of its skull was revealed near where its ear should have been. The punctures in its throat stopped bleeding but remained open. Breathing should have been impossible. Its back was marred entirely by the crusty burns from Asa's fireball spell.

Alphonse nodded to himself as an idea formed. He started taking a few careful steps to the side towards Ash's previous position.

He looked to Kirie and Ash in turn as they mirrored him. “I need you two to each take a side while I go up the middle.”

Ash arched an eyebrow at this and looked to Kirie as if for some form of confirmation.

Kirie gave her a toothy grin painted red on one side. “He's the man with a plan.”

Alphonse briefly glanced at the ground between them and the ogre. “I'm taking its eye out. We need to finish this bastard off now. It doesn't look like its healing anymore, but that could easily change. And I don't think our casters have anymore mana saved up.” He glanced at Ash's waist pouch. “Do you have more of that poison?”

Ash frowned at him. “With this rain I don't think...” She trailed off as she caught on to what he really intended. “Gods, you plan on...wow, that is truly disgusting.” Despite her words, she reached into the pouch and produced one of the clay vials for him. “Make it count.”

Alphonse took the poison and nodded his thanks. “You two disarm him on both sides, and my part will be easy.” He said that, but knew it would be far from it. Normally, he would've requested that Ash take on his current role, but he doubted she had the capacity for it with only one arm functioning properly.

“Let's finish this,” Kirie said. She punched at her chestplate, specifically where it had caved in from the ogre's devastating attack on her. Alphonse started to think the catgirl really was crazy.

The rain fell from sheets to heavy clusters. The road was now fully slick with mud and streams of water flowed down the slight incline. The form of the ogre was a slight blur, even with Alphonse's increased perception.

It has to be now. We can't afford anymore surprises, Alphonse thought.

He motioned forward with his sword. Kirie and Ash led the attack while Alphonse trailed only a few steps behind.

The ogre propped itself on one knee as it struggled to keep itself from slipping. The severed flesh of its heel on one foot slid aside as the tendon split completely.

Its mouth still managed to form words even though its slackened jaw didn't lift properly, “This- isn't over! By my name, I will end you, Evan McCarthy!” The ogre lifted both its weapons high over its head. "May the eternal gap bring fear of every tomorrow! Initiate active skill, The Final Breach!”

The weapons exploded in a flash of metal and splinters as they connected with the ground. Wide, straight schisms formed in the earth that spread forth at the ogre's feet. Thick spikes burst from the sides of stone platforms that rose at random with water and mud pouring over the sides like small waterfalls. The stone lances ejected and sought out the trio that narrowly avoided the unpredictable attacks. Large pieces of debris collided with them and slowed their advance, but they managed to avoid the more dangerous obstacles.

Kirie and Ash emerged on the other side of the chaos and each struck at one of the ogre's arms. The monster's right side accepted the attack from Ash's remaining scimitar. It raised its other hand feebly and palmed the warrior catgirl's axe that dug down to its wrist. The ogre's fingers curled around the blades and struggled to hold Kirie in place.

The ogre roared furiously when it saw that Alphonse had already appeared in front of it. The scout held his shortsword in one hand and Ash's second scimitar in the other.

“No! You-” The ogre's words cut off as both blades dug deep into one of its eyes.

Alphonse continued pushing his shortsword down with his chest pressing against it. He raised his fist and punched into the handle of the scimitar.

Not enough! Alphonse's mind screamed. He quickly pulled Ash's vial from his waist pouch and didn't hesitate to shove it up the ogre's bulbous nose. He ignored the disgusting fluids sloshing around his hand and crushed the vial in his fist.

The ogre emit a high-pitched shriek as it inhaled the poisonous powder.

Alphonse punched the handle of Ash's scimitar again and again. The blade dug deeper into the ogre's skull towards the brain. A few seconds later Alphonse was nearly wrist deep in the monster's eye socket as he continued to apply weight. He felt the protective bones break and scrape into his arm.

“Fuck you!” Alphonse screamed. He punched again and pressed his chest into his shortsword until it felt as if all his ribs bruised. “Fucking die! Die!”

Alphonse let out a sharp cry as he felt a pain building in his leg. A warmth crawled down his calf and mixed with the cold of the rain. He heard a sickening snap and realized that the abomination of an ogre had shifted its shattered jaw somehow and bit down on his leg. The monster was healing again, and what little black sludge remained must have been used to repair part of its mouth and even shift it to an impossible position. It was thanks to the poison and Kirie's previous attack that his leg hadn't been bit clean off.

Alphonse roared and pushed his arm down until his wrist disappeared completely in the eye socket.

Die! Why won't you-just-fucking-die!

There was a terrible crunching sound that pierced all the other sounds around him. Alphonse's vision blurred as the pain consumed him. He didn't even need to think about it; he knew his leg was broken. The only thing that kept him conscious was when he blearily looked around and saw the forms of his comrades attacking desperately. Kirie opened her mouth in a scream as the wound in her shoulder reopened. Ash's legs started to buckle and she was forced to one knee as she held off the ogre's other hand.

Alphonse saw three new colored blurs nearby. He figured they must've been Asa, Liam and Emily. Liam pierced the ogre with his glaive, and even the spellcasters were stabbing with their staffs due to their lack of mana.

Not yet, Alphonse's thoughts grasped desperately for any threads of awareness.

Alphonse lolled sideways as the ogre jerked its body, and he was left partially suspended by the handle of his shortsword with his arm still sticking out of the ogre's head.

Not- yet. He punched feebly at his stiff arm. He twisted his wrist and the bone fragments in the socket drew more blood as they bit into him.

Alphonse felt the heat in his throat as bile built up. A stray bit of sharp bone from the ogre's decimated jaw sliced into his side. His body seized for a moment as more pressure wrapped around his leg. The blade in the ogre's head twisted around some more.

Then he felt nothing. He heard nothing.

Alphonse saw the dark sky as he rolled over, and then he was falling. He pressed into the mud without feeling the initial impact. The earth splashed around and curled like fingers over his body to embrace him. The trees at the edge of the forest seemed to bounce and tilt as the cold water sloshed beneath his head.

Alphonse's arm bent awkwardly and his fingers grasped at the space in front of his eyes. Not...yet...

His vision shivered as the ogre collapsed face first into the ground a few feet from him, sending up a polluted wave of blood and mud.

Alphonse laid there and stared at the ogre's face. His eyes focused on the empty socket where he had inserted Ash's scimitar. He couldn't see the weapon in the dark pit oozing with fluid and other crushed matter.

The ogre's remaining eye stared distantly for a moment before observing Alphonse. The monster's lips trembled as it attempted to speak. Somehow, it was still alive.

Alphonse couldn't hear what it said, but he managed to discern the two words it formed, even with its battered mouth and through the wall of rain.

The ogre said, before it finally submitted to death, “Thank you.”

 

21