Just a few snakes too many
134 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Theno, wakey wakeyy, waky waky waky “ the waky started developing more from a gentle plead to wake up to a gorilla’s rhythmic dominance asserting chant. “Sister..”

This was my little sister, she did not know any limits to making my day strange. Credits to her for being so creative everyday though.

“The repair workers are finished, you can sleep in the attic again and it won’t drip in anymore” she added to her chants and walked off.

We lived relatively far outside of the city, on the edge, so we got a bit of nature outside by the swamp region. I stumbled over to my former bedroom and glanced outside my humble window, looking at the lake glittering in the distance, for a second I thought I saw the Loch Ness monster, and I enjoyed my imagination sometimes, especially today because it was so vivid.

I then glanced around the room and gasped at the leak in the roof that obviously still wasn’t fixed. Water still was dripping in and it certainly was dripping in even larger quantities. It wasn’t so bad since I had put a plant underneath it. I walked closer to pity the plant that had to take these sheer amounts of water.

But then I looked outside of the window and it wasn’t raining, in fact the day was so dry that not even the trees got their dose of dew today.

I glanced back at the plant again and couldn’t believe my eyes, when the transparency started to decline into redness. It started getting clumpier and fuller as I anxiously slid away from it on my butt.
“Are the gods playing tricks on me!?!? Where am I, some kind of horror movie!?” I now stumbled out of my attic and down to the first floor.

The blood dripping from the ceiling really wasn’t something I’d expected.

I asked myself where my family had gone, they should’ve been here. “Why now?”.

It seems like fate really had it in it for me today. I stuck my head in my mother’s bedroom to check uf she was still there. And there it was, right in front of me.

“EEK”

Long and lanky, a sapphire blue snake laid in front of me. At least it didn’t seem like it had a bulk of a full stomach.

At this point I felt like passing out, also because I really had to go to the toilet, like really badly.

I ran to the bathroom, while unplugging the phone which was charging in the hallway. Every step counted into my plan of calling every family member in this house there is. I dialed mother, my fingers shaking.

She didn’t answer.

I desperately dialed my sister. She answered, “What would her majesty want from mee?”.

“Mel, get in safety NOW”

“What?”

“I don’t know, leave the house and stay at your friends’ house for now”

“… fine” Even my sister seemed to notice in my voice that right now wasn’t the time to be joking. After using the bathroom I quickly slid downstairs and made sure to leave the house as well.

I made sure to avoid the snake by quickly walking through the hallway and taking the biggest roundabouts there are in the house, which meant that 2 doors per room finally had some use.

After hastily fumbling into those shoes, I opened the gates to the outer world and saw it peacefully dangling from the top of our door frame, a small beige colored snake.

I took an umbrella from behind me and walked under the dangling snake so it couldn’t immediately jump at me.

After making sure my sister got out of the house safely I took a run towards the city until I felt no uninvited presence. I ran and gasped "There are way too many snakes!". Just where should I go? After my run, I just continued walking cluelessly, aching for a place of comfort.

I ended up at the overarching wall of earth, the cliff and settled down. For a moment a rustle made me tense, I got ready to run, but as a bunny hopped out of the bush in front of me and right back inside once it saw me, I let out a sigh of relief.

Just what was going on?

There was a place I would sit, a location I had grown familiar with.

Since I was already standing upright I continued walking the path, down to where the edge of the cliff wall seemed to separate the two worlds of humanity and nature.

A naturally grown wall of earth and rocks partiated these two worlds.
I enjoyed sitting on the border of both so, as I approached the very field of flowers and grass at the end of the wall, I got a good look on the other side of the cliff, as always.

But there it was, in all of its’ glory.

An opal like, shiny, huge snake, right in front of me.

Each one of its’ scales shimmered in four different colors. I stood still, stared at it with big eyes, while it just stared back at me, slithering around me in lofty movements.

I heard a voice, deeply ingrained into the ground, asking me “What are you, child?”

I just stood there, sweating, stiffly trying to bring words out of my mouth.

“That’s what I, should, be asking you.”. It didn’t answer my remark and added “So the bloody one has chosen you.”

It’s large silver members, moved around me in circles. “Why did he chose you?”.

I brought out a small snort and spoke unbelievably fast “If I knew. Goddamn, if I even knew what you were talking about, if even just what’s going on”

I felt every one of its’ movements, its’ very power hiding behind an already large body.

“Child, you don’t have to know what is happening in order to change something.“

I stood there in reminiscence of the fact that the only thing I am doing is standing.

The snake had beautifully glamorous eyes, they glowed seemingly in all colors, yet flowed like milk, leaving me only in awe with this occurrence. All snakes I had seen earlier had not been able to compare to this beauty. The opal snake’s presence felt overpowering.

For a moment a thought slipped my mind that if it was going to eat me, I would feel that I was meant to be engulfed by such an ethereal being.

It spoke “There’s something within you I can’t quite put my finger on. There’s nothing left for me here anymore, the blood one has already chosen you. He will turn you into a savage.”

It started moving outwards, loosening me from being hostage and disbanding the circle it formed around me.

I brought together all my left courage and blabbered“Wait. “

“What would this little girl want from me?”

“I- is my family in danger?”

“Nor you or your family are in danger”

When it left, I exclaimed out of desperateness “And how will I see you again?!”

The snake looked at me with its’ sparkling eyes, I almost even thought it was smiling. It felt as if it promised that we would see each other again.

My eyes yearned after it, while the snake melted into one with the backdrop.

The entire scenery seemed to change from just one being.

“Farewell then, I guess… “

I now just sat there in the grass, turned around and had a great overview over the sea, the world.

But there was something within me tingling urging to see more.

I looked out on the lake, that was called “simmering ocean” as its’ size made people feel they were out on sea. There was another torquoise snake I saw down by the coast. I stood up and stepped down the stairs leading to the beach to approach the snake.

3