Volume 1 Chapter 12: The Summon, the Squad, and the Saint Candidate’s Surprise
1.2k 7 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
I am working overtime a lot in July since most of my colleagues take their vacation right now. So this week I'm working 72 hours... So have some patience, the pace for chapter release will increase once July is over.

Rising uncharacteristically early, Aldar decided to head out for a morning run, hoping to flush out the cobwebs in his mind and mull over his recent actions.

Wanting some peace and quiet away from the training priestesses, Aldar casted the illusion spell, the 'Gleam of Deception', making himself look like an average priestess to their eyes.

As he jogged along behind a squad of chattering priestesses, their conversation pricked his ears.

"Who do you reckon the new saint candidate will get assigned with?"

"He's gotta do his two years, right? Hope he comes our way. We could do with a healer now that ours is gone."

"Wouldn't it be cool to have a guy on the team? Especially when we go diving into pocket worlds. Imagine eating meals cooked by a man while exploring the unknown."

"Imagine having a man watching your back while you're facing down the corruption. That'd be something."

“Let's be realistic, the Pontificia won't assign the saint candidate to a regular squad. He would be dangerously exposed to numerous hazards during dungeon assignments or far-flung reconnaissance missions. Just ponder the number of dreamers who covet the idea of whisking him away to Siandre to become their personal slave. The prospect of such a handsome man attending to your every whim, incapable of refusal. I doubt there's a woman who would deny such fantasies.”

"Speaking of that, did you hear about Trixie? Apparently, she got called in by the Pontificia, middle of the night."

"Well, she was chosen to introduce the cathedral to the saint candidate. Makes sense they'd want to talk to her."

"I heard it was more than just a chat, like maybe she tried something with the saint? Maybe she couldn’t keep her urges under control. She was summoned on 'Lustful Twilight' night."

"Hah, I knew it! No ordinary woman can resist such desires, especially during the 'Lustful Twilight'. Rumor has it that even Zendia, the novice from The Hearthbound Reapers, couldn't contain herself and was caught pleasuring a priestess in a secluded corner of the garden. The disciplinary committee heard her scream that she went that far because she thought a boy was watching. She claimed to have smelled his presence."

At this revelation, Aldar made a mental note not to be overly confident about his 'Cloak of Shadows'.

"Oh, please! No one would be foolish enough to assault a boy inside the cathedral, let alone the saint candidate. If she really traumatized him physically, they would publicly flog her for days. And that's just for starters. She would be branded as a man-beater, despised by all boys, unwelcome in every country and state except for Siandre—the land of slaves, the haven for degenerates."

"He's a saint candidate, right? If you had the chance, wouldn't you try something? Most of us never even get to touch a guy unless we save up for a trip to the brothels, and that takes months or years of saving up. If she really did it, I'd say it was worth it, haha."

Their conversation, edging into uncomfortable territory, made Aldar more determined than ever to protect himself and his freedom. As he continued his run, he suddenly found himself looking straight at two girls, their eyes fixed on him.

Imyun

In an eerie display of synchronization, the two girls stop what they're doing to look at him, giving a playful wave. Just as he is about to pass by them, their voices intertwine in a low, chilling tone, simultaneously uttering, "Don't rely too much on 'Gleam of Deception', saint candidate."

Caught off guard, Aldar takes a few extra steps, his mind reeling from their message. Suddenly, he halts in his tracks, glancing back at the girls for a brief moment. Overwhelmed by a surge of panic, he hastily resumes his run, the echoes of their laughter ringing in his ears.

As he circles back towards the cathedral, a sense of constriction grips Aldar.

An elderly priest, flanked by two stern paladins, catches his eye and beckons him over. As Aldar approaches, the priest begins to chant, invoking the Sonic Sanctuary.

Once the chant ends, the priest looks Aldar in the eye, his tone serious, "The Pontificia has summoned you, saint candidate. You have two hours to ready yourself." His voice hardens further as he continues, "And remember, it's not wise to run alone near the novice priestesses. They're akin to animals in heat and their commitment to the pantheon remains uncertain. Unless you wish to be corrupted and consumed, I'd advise caution. Not even the revered Pontificia can save you from your own recklessness."

Taking the lesson to heart, Aldar agrees with the elder and asks, “For what am I summoned for?”

Responding to his question, the elder says “That is between you and the Pontificia, secrecy has been invoked in this summon. So do make sure that you do not embarrass yourself in front of the Pontificia. As no priests will be there to aid you in etiquette.”

Nodding to the elder and saying goodbye to the paladins guarding him, Aldar proceeds to prepare himself for the summon.

———

As he enters the Pontificias private area, Aldar looks around, one painting struck him, the dating below written as XXXX-XXX, the name below written as Vitalithe Mortalia.

Young Pontificia

"Don't dawdle, Aldar," a mental admonishment from the Pontificia spurs Aldar to quicken his steps.
Upon entering the Pontificia's chamber, Aldar finds her seated behind her desk, an intriguing box crafted from mirrors resting nearby. Maintaining a respectful tone, Aldar begins, "Your Holiness, I've responded to your summons as requested."

A faint smile tugs at the corners of the Pontificia's lips as she acknowledges his presence.
"Welcome, dear saint candidate," Pontificia replies, her tone laced with mystery. "I imagine you've some inkling why I've called for you. Particularly following your midnight adventure within these sacred confines during the 'Lustful Twilight'. You inadvertently stumbled upon quite the nocturnal spectacle. Ideally, Trixie should have warned you about such an event where men are best to hole themselves up in their rooms.”

Blushing with embarrassment over the Pontificia's knowledge of his actions, Aldar stammers, "Eh... I... I was merely curious to witness the cathedral's activities during nighttime. And, well, I don't believe Trixie intended to harm me..."

The Pontificia continues, her tone light yet carrying an undercurrent of seriousness, "Nevertheless, Trixie must face the consequences of her transgressions against you. As the victim, I thought it appropriate that you determine her punishment. Shall it be a public flogging until you are appeased, or perhaps banishment?" Her words hang in the air, tinged with a touch of playfulness.

As the Pontificia presents the different options, Aldar's attention is briefly drawn to the peculiar movements of the mirrored box nearby.

"Alternatively," the Pontificia suggests, “we could assign her to a period of hard labor, in reparation. A portion of the proceeds would support our cathedral, while ensuring justice is served" she suggests.

Taken aback by the severity of the proposed punishments, Aldar responds, "Your Holiness, I don't believe Trixie deserves such harsh repercussions. Perhaps a stern warning... After all, my actions played a part in the events that transpired."

A warm smile graces the Pontificia's face as she gazes at Aldar. Her eyes briefly shift towards the mirrored box before returning to meet his gaze. "Is that so?" she asks. "In that case, I shall decide on a fitting punishment. Given that Trixie is to be assigned to your squad, and in the absence of a suitable rogue replacement, I propose a curse of bindings. She will be bound to your will; her movements and mana will be constrained at your command. Whether this is a punishment or a blessing, only Trixie can truly answer."

As the Pontificia finishes her sentence, the box turns transparent, revealing Trixie inside. Her eyes now crimson, her hair disheveled, and suspended in the air by ropes.

The sight of Trixie's predicament momentarily silences Aldar. Before he can speak, the Pontificia continues, "So, Trixie, do you accept the curse of bindings, or should I choose another punishment? Personally, I find this punishment lenient, but Aldar specifically asked for clemency."

Frantically, Trixie nods her assent, her words muffled by the wooden rod in her mouth.

With the sudden turn of events, Aldar blurts out, "How long has Trixie been here? And what am I to do with a squad? Who else is in it?"

His questions draw a chuckle from the Pontificia, "I did anticipate a more exciting reaction to my revelation. Especially given your adventurous spirit. However, to answer your questions: Trixie's punishment began upon her arrival here. As for your role, you surely didn't believe your duties would be confined to the cathedral, listening to peasants' confessions, and offering healing? You, my dear boy, are destined for greater things. You are chosen to unite with future heroes in purging the corruption's acolytes. To prepare you for such a mission, you need experience that extends beyond the scope of regular priests. That's where your squad comes in. For the duration of your two-year service, you will be undertaking missions assigned by me on behalf of the pantheon of Xane."

Feeling the weight of the Pontificia's words, Aldar nods in acknowledgment, his gaze alternating between Trixie and the Pontificia. Trixie’s restrained state inexplicably causes him to blush.

A hearty laughter escapes the Pontificia's lips, breaking the tension in the room. "Ah, young Aldar," she chuckles, "here I deliver a speech about your future as a hero, and your mind wanders to the sensual appearance of Trixie. You truly are a young boy with much to learn. Do not let your recklessness overshadow your potential. Within these halls, I will always protect you, but my powers are not all-seeing beyond Illun."

At the Pontificia's words, Trixie's blush deepens. A predatory grin stretches her lips, muffled by the wooden rod.

Aldar, unsettled by Trixie's transformation, questions whether a harsher punishment might have been more suitable.

The Pontificia continues, "As for your third question, Aldar, your squad comprises of Zendia, a promising recruit from the Heartbound Reapers, and the prodigious twin mage Imyun."

"Twin mage?" Aldar queries, his expression clouded with confusion.

"The twins you encountered during your run constitute Imyun. Her soul inhabits two bodies, allowing her to cast multiple spells simultaneously. The drawback being, whatever affects one body, the other will also experience it. I planned to assemble your squad once you acclimated to the cathedral, but considering your adventurous spirit, I believe we can commence from tomorrow," the Pontificia explains, her smile never waning.

With Trixie still suspended awkwardly in the box and the gravity of his impending tasks weighing on him, Aldar prepares to depart. But before he can, he blushes and stammers, "Your Holiness... I just... um... Do... you see... everything within the cathedral?"

The Pontificia's laughter rings out, "No, dear Aldar, you needn't fear I'm peeking at your 'naughty' activities. While I can see everything if I choose to, I primarily screen the emotional currents within the cathedral. The moment I sensed your fear, I dispatched a paladin to you. I cannot allow my future saints to be traumatized," her gaze flicks to Trixie as she concludes.

"Before you leave, Aldar, extend your hand," the Pontificia commands.

As he complies, a sharp prickling sensation assaults his hand, mirrored by a muffled scream from Trixie.

"There, the binding is complete. Should she behave contrary to your wishes, a simple command from you will render her immobile, except to breathe. If her corrupted tendencies ever manifest, you have the means to bring her to a halt. Now, you may take your leave. I will deliver Trixie to her quarters after a brief conversation," the Pontificia advises.

With a mixture of overwhelm and anticipation, Aldar bids his farewell and hurries out of the room. Tomorrow marks the beginning of a new chapter, one filled with proper adventure and the challenges that lie ahead.

———

26