Volume 1 Chapter 15: Unexpected Confessions
1.2k 4 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
I was sick for a couple of days, here is a double chap, hope it makes up for it.

Roused from slumber by the eerie sensation of watchful eyes, Aldar found himself immersed in the velvety darkness of the night. He glanced around to find Trixie once more bound by ropes, with Zendia similarly restrained. The two contrasted starkly with the tranquil, sleeping figure of the black-clothed Imyun, her white-clad counterpart is nowhere to be seen.

Stealthily, Aldar slipped out of the hut in search of a suitable location for natures call. As a precautionary measure against unwanted attention, he cloaked himself with the 'Cloak of Shadows' spell, enhancing his concealment.

After satisfying his needs in the seclusion of an outhouse, Aldar noticed a flickering campfire situated a short distance behind their abode. Guided by curiosity, he sauntered towards it, finding the white-clad Imyun ensconced in solitary meditation beside the fire. The mystical hum of mana seemed to ripple around her, likely a byproduct of her meditative practice. Unfortunately, Aldar stepped a little too close, causing Imyun to detect him.

"Aldar, I can feel your presence," Imyun remarked, unperturbed. "Your 'Cloak of Shadows' must be woven more naturally into the environment. Otherwise, any mage with mana sensitivity, like myself, can easily detect you."

His cheeks flaming with embarrassment, Aldar cancelled the spell and attempted to explain, "I thought my casting was proficient enough. Is it really so noticeable, even when I'm silent?"

Imyun replies with pride, "You have some skill, but I'm just very sensitive to mana. When you walk, I can feel the distortion, though I didn't see or hear you this time. It takes both my bodies to reach that level of sensitivity."

Intrigued by her singular presence, Aldar inquired, "What are you doing out here alone? I noticed only one of your bodies sleeping. I didn't even realize that was possible. Don't your bodies share senses?"

"We do share senses, but I can temporarily suspend one body while the senses are still shared. That's why I was meditating. My other body is sleeping lightly now as we are having a conversation. The real question is, what brings you out here at this hour?" Imyun asks with a puzzled expression.

Embarrassed, Aldar scratches the back of his head and confesses, "Well... I had to relieve myself. I'm a bit unused to sharing a room with other people." He then shifts the focus, asking Imyun about her feelings regarding the upcoming adventure against monsters.

Imyun responded confidently, "This mission is a walk in the park. It's meant as an introduction for you, Aldar. The Pontificia likely wants you to experience your first kill, a rite of passage that freezes most people in their tracks. We're here to provide emotional support and protection. So, take this mission in stride, everything is under control."

Pleased by Imyun's reassuring words, Aldar ventured another question, "Why were all of you so eager to join my squad? What prompted you to accept the Elders' proposition so readily?"

Imyun gazes at the stars and replies, “Being chosen as the squad member of a saint candidate is a great honor. All believers in the Pantheon of Xane would accept it in a heartbeat, especially those like us who have everything to thank the Pantheon for. We grew up hearing tales of previous saints and the heroes they journeyed with as they cleansed corruption in the world.”

Reflecting on her words, Aldar admitted, “I see... so, it seems I have quite the expectations to live up to.” He then turned to Imyun, his eyes sparkling in the firelight, and added, “Well then, my future hero, it seems we both have hefty burdens to bear.”

Imyun laughed at his statement, “You're right about that. Someday, they'll remember me as the double... Achoo!”

Aldar chuckled at her new moniker, “Well, Miss Double Achoo, it's a bit chilly to be out here in just a shirt. Here, take my robe and come a little closer.”

Caught off-guard by his offer, Imyun blushed profusely as Aldar began to drape the robe over her shoulders. Stammering, she declined, "Y-y-you don't n-n-need to. As long as you're warm, that's fine. The campfire may be low, but it's enough..."

Deep within, gratitude swelled for having been chosen as his comrade. Yet, she maintained a facade, a mirage of calmness and composure she believed men preferred.

Mischievously, Aldar took advantage of her flustered state, blowing gently into her ear and causing her to let out a soft moan, somewhat shattering the facade she had been upholding.

She pivots to face Aldar, her gaze meeting his in the flickering firelight. With a solemn expression, she intones, “Under Xetone's vigilant gaze, from life to death, we feast. Held within Xalena's gentle grace, between love and hate, we savor. Bless our shared meal, oh Xane's divine duo.”

Aldar's laughter, a light chuckle, echoed through the quiet night as he asked, his eyebrows arched in amusement, “Why are you saying a grace? ”

With a straight face, Imyun responds, “When a man courts a woman, it is a woman's duty to react appropriately. How else would I justify calling myself a woman, and what better way than to thank Xalena for presenting me with such an opportunity.” As she approaches the end of her sentence, she begins to undress.

Caught off guard by this sudden turn of events, Aldar stands frozen, unable to process her actions. As she finishes undressing, she articulates in a clear voice, “Now, my saint, I offer myself to you, accept me as your partner!”

No sooner had she completed her sentence than Rin materialized seemingly from nowhere, delivering a swift knock to the back of Imyun's neck, causing her to crumple to the ground unconscious. With an air of practiced calm, Rin silently drags her away. Both Aldar and Rin reach a silent consensus that it's best to leave the incident unspoken.

Bemused and a little flustered, Aldar reflects on the fact that none of his squad members seem particularly grounded in reality. Deciding it's best to take some distance, he retreats back to the abode, intending to find some much-needed rest in sleep once again.

———

Finally, the moment arrived to venture forth, and the whole group assembled at the front of the village. As usual, Aldar was the last to arrive, but he greeted his squad mates and Lesra with genuine warmth.

His gaze skimmed over his team's gear; Zendia's sturdy shield and sword, Trixie's pair of short daggers accompanied by a stiletto, and both Imyuns' wielding majestic two-handed staffs. Aldar felt a sense of satisfaction with his choice of weapons - a robust morning star.

In a fit of excitement, Aldar turned to Lesra and cheerfully asked, “Lesra, would you do us the honor of leading the way to the monsters that are troubling this village?"

With a stiff expression, Lesra replied, "Yes, Miss! It would be an honor to guide your squad," clearly feeling a bit nervous in the face of the personal ordeal.

After some time of walking, Rin made her appearance, acknowledging Lesra with a curt nod and greeting the squad.

While progressing towards their destination, Zendia cast a playful grin towards Aldar and teasingly asked, “Did you manage to catch some beauty sleep? I heard you had quite the encounter last night.”

Aldar retorted, “I’m still getting used to sharing space with other people.”

Zendia, sporting a cheeky grin, redirected her attention to Imyun, and said “Aldar! I can understand why Trixie and I were apprehended and bound by ropes.” She punctuated her comment with a mischievous glance towards the Imyuns' and added, “But what did Miss Virgin, who deems herself 'too good for the rest of us,' do?”

Before Aldar could respond, Rin chimed in with a sly tone, “This nutcase started stripping off her clothes by the campfire the moment Aldar got near her, all the while imploring him to 'feast upon her and take her as his partner'…”

At this revelation, Rin, Trixie, and Zendia erupted into boisterous laughter. Zendia, caught in a fit of giggles, managed to get out, “Always suspected she was 'special', but not quite in the way she likes to believe.”

Attempting to defend herself from this relentless teasing, the Imyuns' retaliated in perfect sync, “Zendia, just because you spend all your time chasing after some ass, doesn't mean the rest of us do it too. Also, I will not tolerate Trixie laughing at me!”

Trixie's eyes widened in mock outrage, and she fired back with a sly grin, “Hey, I at least don’t fuck myself to the level that I undress at the mere touch of another person.” Rin, Trixie, and Zendia burst into uncontrollable laughter, thoroughly enjoying Trixie's witty comeback at the expense of Imyun's pride.

Amid the laughter, Aldar stepped in, attempting to restore some order to the playful banter, “Alright, let's all take it easy now with the jokes. We're a team, and we need to work together for future missions.”
Imyun, though still feeling a tad embarrassed, quickly regained her composure, “Don't worry, Aldar. This is just how we speak to each other. We've been doing it like this for years, but I must admit, I'm not a fan of this particular joke. Oh well, such is life. Sometimes you gotta take a joke like a woman.”

Both Trixie and Zendia nodded in agreement, showing understanding for Imyun's sentiments. Despite the teasing, they were a tightly-knit squad. In the world of dangerous adventures, camaraderie was essential, and laughter was the stress relief that held them sane.
———

After what felt like a half-hour of cautious trekking, Trixie's keen eyes spotted a group of rowdy goblins up ahead. With a swift hand signal, she urged the squad to silence and take cover. Each member found a hiding spot behind a bush, tree, or any object that could shield them from prying goblin eyes.

In a hushed voice, Rin, reminded him of his role as the leader, "Aldar, your scout, Trixie, has revealed the enemy. Now, as the leader, it's your duty to decide how we proceed. Don't hesitate to seek advice from your squad mates; they’re here to support you. I'll intervene only if someone's life is at risk."

Pondering for a moment, Aldar inquired, "Okay, Zendia, as our vanguard, how do you suggest we advance? Would you prefer if Imyun blasted the cave entrance?"

brimming with pride, Zendia shot back, "If it were up to me, I'd just march right in and start bashing heads. No need for complex tactics when dealing with pitiful goblins. Not when you're as powerful as me."

Before Aldar could respond, Imyun interjected, "Yes, if one were as foolhardy as you, sure. The rest of us, however, have no intention of meeting our ends at the hands of 'mere' goblins. Aldar, I recommend we first conduct a silent reconnaissance of the cave, gather intelligence, then make an informed decision."

Just as Trixie was about to chime in, Zendia retorted, "Well, look here Miss Feast-on-me, I'm aware the correct strategy is to send in our creep, Trixie. But do we really need to be that meticulous?"

"Hey! Just because I fantasize about a man choking me with his thigh while he sits on me doesn't make me a creep; merely someone with refined tastes." Trixie retorted, her face stern. Smirking mischievously at Zendia, she continued, "Creepy, would be forcing oneself on another while under the impression of being watched. Now that's a true creep."

The squad erupted in laughter at Trixie's witty remark. Zendia, still grinning, urged Trixie to put her skills to use, "Alright, enough teasing. Get your skilled ass into the shadows and start spying on those damn goblins. The sooner we gather intelligence, the sooner we can return home for a well-deserved meal."

———

As Trixie returns, she relays her reconnaissance report to the squad. “In the cave, I counted roughly twenty goblins, two hobgoblins, and four male goblins. We're fortunate to have found them this early. With four male goblins, they could easily double their numbers in a month.”

Rin prompts Aldar to speak his mind, “So, Aldar how are you gonna advance your squad?”

Taking a moment to assess the situation, Aldar proposes, “I believe it would be reckless to enter the cave directly, risking a potential trap. Zendia, how about you draw them out, and Imyun, you stand by with a wide-range spell?”

The squad members nod in agreement to the plan. As Zendia prepares to move forward, she secures her shield tightly, the emblem of 'The Heartbound Reapers' proudly displayed on the front. Approaching the entrance, Zendia clangs her sword against her shield, a resonant challenge that echoes across the clearing.

The goblins screech in response, with one of them pointing and shouting, “Hwa, buga ga, xi ga zo!”

This incites the rest of the goblins to emerge from the cave, attempting to surround Zendia. But before they can flank her, Imyun releases her spell.

Inferno Orb: In Xelemeral's fiery grasp, under the god of elements and equilibrium, I summon your blistering wrath. Ignite the heavens, let your pyroclasmic essence converge. I, [Imyun/Imyun], command your scorching spirit to manifest as a sphere of destruction.

The double inferno orbs decimate the goblins, sparing only those on the outskirts of the spell's range. The remaining goblins scramble in panic, rushing back to the safety of the cave. However, the two hobgoblins halt their retreat, slapping the first goblin attempting to escape back into the fray. They bellow orders, though clearly bothered of the situation.

Both hobgoblins look back into the cave, looking at the males with grievous looks as they return their eyes onto the so called invaders. One of the hobgoblins groups up with the normal goblins. The hob goblin screams orders, “Bu ga! GA XI DA!”

Aldar springs into action as the last group of goblins moves to engage Zendia. Despite the chaos, Zendia stands firm, her practiced movements deflecting blows and dodging rocks. Out of the corner of her eye, she notices Aldar rushing forward, his morning star swinging wide. But his overzealous strike misses its mark and he stumbles, losing his balance.

As Aldar falls, a hobgoblin rushes towards him, a crude dagger in hand. But before it can land its strike, Trixie materializes from the shadows, blocking the blade with one hand and slashing the hobgoblin's throat with the other, all the while taunting, “Who do you think you are, trying to touch him?”

Meanwhile, Zendia's focus wavers momentarily as she witnesses Aldar's fall, giving the goblins an opening to swarm her. Several distract her while a hobgoblin leaps off a goblin's back to land a hefty blow to her head.

As Zendia reels from the impact, Imyun finishes casting her spells. Decimating the remaining goblins while leaving one trapped by the Timber Command.
Timber Command: In the sacred roots of Xelemeral, god of elements and equilibrium, I summon your steadfast power. Stir the slumbering forest, let the timber awaken, bind the sleeping bark to my living will. I, [Imyun], resonate with the rhythm of the greenwood, let the chorus of nature obey my cadence and rise to our defense.

Pebble's Whisper: In Xelemeral's resounding echo, god of elements and equilibrium, I call upon your humble aspect. Stir the gentle pebbles, let them heed my modest wish. I, [Imyun], invite the stones.

The spells decimated the remaining goblins, leaving only one goblin alive, bound by Timber's command.

Aldar pushes himself up, guilt clouding his features as he sees the blood staining Zendia's hair. Casting a healing spell ‘Healing Wounds’, he apologizes, “I'm sorry, Zendia. You likely could have handled that alone, but I felt compelled to step in as part of the squad."

Returning his smile, Zendia dismisses his concern, “Don't worry about it. It's nothing I can't shrug off. It was my own mistake for losing focus. And thank you, Trixie, for having my back. I should have been the one protecting Aldar."

Trixie proudly responded, “I'll always be there in Aldar’s shadow, as long as he lets me.”

Relieved by her rescue, Aldar still can't help but feel a twinge of discomfort at Trixie's statement.

As they finish expressing their gratitude, Imyun emerges from her hiding spot. An eerie gleam sparkles in her eyes as she declares, “Those initial explosions, those were double inferno orbs. A symphony of destruction. My next aim? A double super nova." She cackles maniacally as she concludes her statement.

This prompts Rin to give her a sharp smack on the back of her head and launch into a tirade, “You're playing the fool, Imyun! Why would you waste two inferno orbs instead of strategically herding the goblins into one area with barrier magic and then firing a single orb? You're squandering your talent. Aldar, your mace handling is deplorable. Zelena must have been too soft to give you a proper training regimen. Zendia, you've got to trust your teammates. Trixie was positioned to defend Aldar, there was no need for you to lose your concentration. Trixie, as much as it pains me to admit, you performed well. Keep it up. And Aldar, since you failed to hit a goblin earlier, it's time you ended the suffering of the goblin bound by Imyun.”

As Aldar looks into the eyes of the bound goblin, he sees himself reflected through its fearful gaze. As it cowers in fear, Aldar feels like a monster as he raises his morning star. However, as he swings, he deliberately misses, unwilling to take a life in cold blood.

Rin admonishes Aldar once more, “Consider this, Aldar. If you were the one in captivity, do you really think this goblin would show you mercy? Let's release the creature and give it a fighting chance. Imyun, release the goblin. Zendia and Trixie, stay close to Aldar in case the situation goes awry."

As Rin completes her instructions, she steps behind the goblin, hands it a club and propels it towards Aldar. “Aldar, take off your robe. Let's see how it reacts to you.”

Aldar complies, meeting the goblin's fearful gaze. As he disrobes, the reactions from Lesra and the goblin are immediate.

Lesra exclaims in shock, "YOU'RE A MAN?!" and begins to recite fervent prayers to the pantheon of Xane.

The goblin, on the other hand, undergoes a startling transformation from fear to lust. With a lascivious grin, it hurls invective at Aldar before charging.

Taken aback, Aldar swings his mace in a reflexive panic, landing a blow that sends the goblin reeling. But the creature is undeterred and lunges at him again. Panicked, Aldar smashes his mace into the goblin's skull with all his might, obliterating it. As he withdraws his weapon from the goblin's shattered skull, he shudders in revulsion, expressing his disgust aloud.

His team members, on the other hand, applaud his victory, celebrating his passage through the Pontificia's test.

As Aldar stands in stunned silence, Rin takes the initiative, “It's time to round up the male goblins. Imyun, bind them with your Timber Command, and we'll secure them with ropes.”

While the rest of the squad hustles to execute Rin's orders, Aldar asks, "Why are we capturing the male goblins?"

Zendia replies, “Male goblins fetch a handsome price. Their seed is a potent aphrodisiac. Additionally, some villages keep them as stress-relief tools. While I personally find this practice deplorable, it's quite common in rural areas.”

A mixture of disgust and regret coiled within Aldar, having been forced to shatter a goblin's skull. In silent tribute to the creature's pitiable fate, he whispers a fleeting prayer. As his words evaporate into the still air, Lesra begins to tread lightly towards him.

Halting a few paces away, Lesra bows her head low, sinking down onto one knee, her gaze riveted to the soil beneath her. A quiver plays at the edge of her voice as she begins, "I beg, sir, that our village has not offended you. Had we known of your distinguished stature gracing us, we would have scraped and saved for months to lay down a worthy tribute. Please do not blacklist us! We didn’t know any better.”

Struck by the unfolding circumstances, Aldar moves toward Lesra, helping her regain her footing by lifting her up. "You need not burden yourselves with offerings," he states, his tone an unusual blend of comfort and firmness, "My purpose here was merely to extend aid in your time of crisis."

Lesra, unaccustomed to the touch of a man, responds with a surge of blush coloring her cheeks, her words stumbling over themselves in her haste, "T-T-Thank y-y-you, sir! I promise to serve you faithfully, unto the ends of Eryndor."

A wave of confusion washes over Aldar, prompting him to step back, his gaze seeking support from his squad.

With a scratch of her cheek, Zendia chimes in, “Aldar here is somewhat unique, he's not particularly well-versed in the customs of our world. His intent was not to incite you to follow him, he was merely being kind-hearted.”

Trixie walks towards Aldar and murmurs just loud enough for him to hear, “Traditionally, a man lifting a common woman from the ground with his own hands implies she can become his concubine.”

Shaken by his own action's implications, Aldar, now visibly agitated, flaps his hands around and exclaims, “I apologize for the misunderstanding, I just felt uncomfortable seeing you kneel before me.”

Although her emotions had just traversed the extremes, Lesra gathers her strength, asserting, “If ever you require me, just utter my name and I will do everything within my power to be there.”

Trixie appears from Lesra’s shadow, whispering softly into her ear, triggering a piercing scream from Lesra before she crumples onto her butt.

Aldar asks Trixie, “Trixie, what did you do to our guide? You can’t harass our guide like that!”

“Harass her? No, Aldar,” Trixie retorts, her tone smooth. “I simply spoke of our esteemed patron, the Pontificia, and gave her a minor warning, nothing more.”

Breaking the growing tension, Rin claps her hands, commanding everyone's attention. “It's time to depart for Illun. Our mission is accomplished, and we can make it by nightfall if we hasten.”

As they tread the path back to the village, Aldar senses Lesra's lustful gaze on him, but each time he turns, her face is averted.

Upon reaching the village, Rin commands the villagers to swiftly pack their belongings into the carriage. With uncharacteristic speed, Rin, Trixie, and Imyun usher Aldar into the carriage, aiding the villagers in loading it in the process. Barely a few moments pass before their possessions, along with an array of food and drink for the journey, are safely stored.

Once settled into the rhythm of their journey, Aldar queries, “Why the rush? We left so abruptly, even leaving the male goblins to the villagers.”

Rin replies in a matter-of-fact tone, “The moment Lesra realized your gender, the news would have swept through the village. You'd have been put on display. Rather than subject you to that ordeal, it seemed best to hasten our departure.”

And so, under the weight of these unexpected circumstances, the day dwindled away as the squad made their way back to the cathedral.
———

17