Chapter 34 – This world is not black and white
621 8 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After exiting the camp with everyone, Cnaeus led us back to the city. Along the way back, we saw a few weak and even harmless monsters and animals, such as horned rabbits, common slimes, and snakes. However, they all avoided us like the plague.

Daytime is the safest time to go outside, as nocturnal monsters are not active during those hours. At most, you would meet an E-rank animal, such as a lone grey wolf.

Part of this was due to a large military blockade erected around the magical forest, stationed with two cohorts of soldiers, only allowing soldiers and adventurers with permits to hunt inside. Although it wasn't perfect, it prevented most monsters from leaving the magic forest and into civilized lands. Some monsters manage to slip through the blockade, like the owlbear and the goblin raid party, so it isn't watertight.1Logic hole filled up. Credit to Miscjt. If you see logic holes, tell me in the comments or on discord, and I will try and fix it.

I did have a question about it, however.

"Why doesn't the empire demolish the forest, clearing up land for itself? It would free up the soldiers, too." - I asked Tertius.

"I'm not sure exactly, but I hear that magic forests are locations with dense magical energies, which are unsuitable for civilization. I hear that even if you exterminate all the monsters inside, they will just respawn again out of thin air. It doesn't expand, however, and it cant be cleared up either, so we can only keep the status quo with it. Besides, it gives us constant resources. Our capital lasted for 5,000 years near the magic forest, so I think that it works very well for us."2Dungeon logic, lol. - And that was the answer I got from him.

We soon reached the mighty city gates. Unlike when we exited the city before dawn, where the gates were practically empty save for a dozen grizzled veteran guards, the gates this time were guarded by younger soldiers, and the entrance of the gate was lined up with merchant caravans, adventurers, citizens, and travelers.

The young guards were not surprised when we passed through the gates, and there were no hiccups. However, I did unintentionally eavesdrop on something.

"You brought in 300 iron ingots, 100 barrels of smoked fish, 200 fine wine barrels, 100 sacks of sugarcane sugar, and 200 sacks of sea salt. As it is currently peacetime and within the empire, we will take 2% of your merchandise. Six iron ingots, two barrels of smoked fish, four fine wine barrels, two sacks of sugarcane sugar, and four sacks of sea salt." - A young praetorian guard said in a bored tone as he wrote on a wax tablet.

"Oh, no, no, no. I am sure you have counted wrongly. You see, I brought only 150 sacks of sea salt. I have two extra wine barrels and a barrel of smoked fish, as support for the brave troops guarding this fine and mighty city." - A fat dog-kin merchant said with a smile, as he gestured at the wine barrels in his caravans.

The guard didn't seem surprised or revolted, as he accepted the open bribe and gestured to his companions, who were already taking the tariff. Instead of taking a sack of salt, they instead took another two wine barrels and a barrel of smoked fish for themselves.

"My mistake, there are indeed only 150 sacks of salt. We will take taxes accordingly. Thank you for your continued support." - The guard said with a knowing smile as he scratched something on his wax tablet.

The merchant smiled and bowed to the guard, satisfied.

Such open bribes were common in the city gates. A bag of salt weighing twenty pounds could easily buy a few barrels of fine wine and smoked fish, so for the merchant, paying two barrels of wine and a barrel of smoked fish for a sack of salt was worth it.3Salt in ancient times was expensive, you know! It was so expensive, that the word salary came from the Latin word Salarium, with the root Sal, which means salt. Back in the day, it was worth so much that the roman empire even paid with salt as a salary. I won't do that in my work for simplicities sake, but it's still there!

As for why such open bribery was permitted? Bribery that damaged the income of the city, at that? I hear it is a mixture of things. Some of it is for the morale of the troops. Another part is for the merchants, as some of them depended on these small differences to make a living. As long as the bribes are not too eye-catching, the authorities will turn a blind eye to it.

However, such things were unrelated to me, so I naturally ignored them.

Our group continued walking on through the bustling streets of Lamaria. Soon, without any more suspense, we arrived back at the mansion.

After saying goodbye to the other kids, I went to take a quick bath and then went to the study room for my lesson with Erno, who was already waiting in the study room while reading.

After quietly waiting for a few minutes for Livia and Cispia to arrive, Erno finally stopped reading and looked at us.

"Good afternoon, children. I trust your training went well today?" - He asked with a kindly smile.

"Yes, sir Erno." - We answered.

"I hear there was a goblin raid party at the gates today. Did you encounter anything along the way?"

"We encountered an owlbear, sir Erno." - Answered Cispia.

"As expected, a Goblintide. Well, it happens once every few years, so it isn't much of a surprise." - He waved his hand in dismissal.

"Sir Erno, may I ask a question?" - I asked.

"Go ahead, Mog."

"Yes. Why doesn't the empire simply exterminate all the goblins in the nearby magic forest?"

"Good question. Yes, in our 5,000 years of history, we tried that multiple times. However, each time we killed them all, new goblins will simply migrate from the outside, repopulating it within a few months or years. We once tried to block the entire forest's perimeter and exterminate all monsters inside, but it ended with monsters, including goblins, spawning inside the forest, so we gave up on it." - Erno explained with a sigh.

"Why do monsters spawn?" - I asked another question.

Erno didn't answer immediately, as if recollecting his thoughts before he finally answered.

"There are multiple theories about that. Some say it is a natural phenomenon caused by high concentrations of ambient mana. Others say that it is a part of the laws of our world. Some believers think that it is a test from the gods. Another popular belief is that it is something done by dark gods that messed with the laws of our world. There are even people that believe that is an artificial phenomenon created by mages. I privately like to think that it is a mixture of some of the above. However, this subject is up to debate, so do feel free to take your point of view. Who knows, maybe it is something else. Was my answer satisfactory?"

"Yes. Thank you, sir Erno." - I nodded.

"Good, any more questions? Alright, today, we shall learn some math." - Erno said with a smile. 4Ugh, math. Someone bring a dog, or better, a flamethrower.

I was happy about this, so I smiled.5At least someone enjoys it... Cispia showed a happy smile too6Bruh..., but Livia noticeably cringed. I guess Livia doesn't like math.7Finally someone normal

For the next two hours, Erno taught us math. After that, we self-studied until dinnertime.

As we made our way to the eating area, we saw an unexpected and familiar face.

Her skin looked white, glossy, and flawless. Her hair shined like gold. Her sky-blue eyes shined with light. Her luscious lips were as red as apples. She had a tall figure, even a bit taller than I remembered when we met. Her figure was pleasing and sensual, capable of stoking desire in almost any able man. Her beauty likely reached the peak of what is humanly possible, touching the unnatural.

I knew the person in front of me, and yet she looked even more magnificent than usual.

"Mistress!" - I and the girls bowed in respect.

Mistress Consentia smiled and nodded, "Hello, Cispia, Livia, and my little Mog. Have you just finished your studies?" - She kindly asked.

"Yes, mistress. We just finished learning and were heading for dinner." - Cispia answered.

The mistress nodded and said, "Good. Go ahead and eat dinner now. My little Mog, follow Erno after dinner."

"Yes, mistress." - We nodded and bowed again.

However, while Cispia and Livia were calm, my heart pounded.

"The potion is ready." - I knew in my heart.

After the mistress left, the two girls looked at each other strangely and muttered.

"Livia, did you notice something strange about the mistress?" - Cispia asked in a low voice.

"Yeah. She looked taller and more beautiful...  And that shine in her eyes, it almost looked unnaturally mesmerizing." - Livia replied in a similarly low voice.

"Do you think it's an effect of a potion she created?"

"Maybe..."

They then both looked at me, "What do you think?" - Livia asked.

I shook my head and replied, "My guess is as good as yours. For all I know, she created some beauty potion and tested it herself."

However, I had to admit, her beauty is incredibly high. Although she isn't at the level of Menvi Kiadunrac, the demigod soothsayer, I am certain that few women in the empire can rival her now.

Unable to find an answer, we went to eat dinner together with everyone.

However, when we entered the room, I saw a new face sitting next to Drusus and Lars.

It was a half-rabbit-kin boy around 12 years old. Like all half-beastmen, he had their characteristic ears on his head, two floppy brown rabbit ears drooping to his neck. He had a slim build with little muscle covered by a dirty woolen tunic, and his brown hair and brown skin appeared dry and flaky, apparently suffering from long durations of malnutrition. His squarish face had sunken cheeks and his slightly sunken dark brown eyes with dark circles reflected despair.

"Who is he? He looks like a dying street urchin! But why is he sitting with us?"

When I was about to talk to him, I felt a slender yet strong hand grab my shoulder.

I silently turned my head to Cispia. When I looked at her, she shook her head while staring at my eyes.

I again turned my head to the table and saw that Faevyre and Erno were giving me the same stare, telling me to shut up. Mazoga had her head down, trying to ignore the kid. Drusus and Lars were apathetic, seemingly used to this. Borso, on the other hand... Well, he was being Borso, focused on the food on the table.

In any case, I decided to just shut up and sit down together with Cispia and Livia, and far away from the kid.

After I sat down, I again silently looked upon the kid. I slowly realized something as my gaze turned complicated.

"He is young master Aulus's new slave pit fighter, and this, this is likely his last meal before a fight..."

As I thought of that, my gaze turned even more complicated. On one hand, I felt pity, and on the other hand, I felt a sick sense of gladness and relief. This contradiction was nauseating.8Congradulations, our mc is a person with actual complicated feelings and not a heartless psychopath.

"Is this the fate I managed to avoid? Would I look like him if the mistress hadn't bought me?"

I didn't want to think about it anymore, so I decided to shut up as suggested and sit as far away from him as possible.

Today's main dish was ham boiled with figs and fay leaves, rubbed in honey, and baked with a pastry crust. Delicious.

While I was eating, I glanced at the kid who was eating on the other side of the table. Despite the very delicious food served on the table, the kid ate slowly, as if savoring every single bite. The corners of his eyes were watery, ready to burst out at a nudge.

I couldn't bear to look at him anymore, so I lowered my head to focus on eating again. Despite the food on my plate being delicious, it strangely felt bland today. Cispia and Livia also stayed rather quiet near me.

After we finished eating, Drusus and Lars got up and said to the kid, "Dead meat number 29, it's time."

I raised my head and looked over.

"Yes..." - The kid said with a quivering voice, tears falling from his cheeks.

I kept staring at the kid as he left the eating area.

After his figure vanished from my sight, likely for the last time, I asked in a dry voice, "He is young master Aulus's new pit fighter, isn't he?"

"Yes." - Cispia said in a normal voice, seemingly used to this sight.

"And he named him dead meat number 29 because..." - I continued with the same dry voice.

"Because he is the 29th sacrifice to the pits for entertainment. The young master bought him for dirt cheap and is now sending him to almost certain death. Even if he survives this round, he will still die within three rounds. They all do." - Livia said with a slightly depressed voice.

"..."

I could only remain silent and prey to Veona that he receives a quick and merciful death, which likely won't happen. That was the most I could do for him.

With my good mood and excitement ruined, I could only somberly walk to Erno.

"Sir Erno, Let's go meet the mistress." - I said with a depressed voice. 

Erno looked at me and stood up, "Alright, let's go."

I followed Erno to meet the mistress after bidding everyone farewell.

Along the way, I asked, "Sir Erno, can I ask you a question?"

"Ask away." - Erno said as he walked.

"When I looked at the kid, I felt pity for him, but I also felt... Gladness and relief. I was glad that I wasn't him. Is it wrong? Am I evil?" - I asked with my emotions in turmoil, unable to hold it in anymore. This nauseating feeling was eating me from within.

Erno stopped walking and then turned to me. After staring at me for ten long and painful seconds, he sighed.

"Child, there is no right or wrong here and no good or evil either. This world is not black and white, and good and evil are subjective, up to the eyes of the beholder. To give you an extreme example, most believe, including me, that cannibalism is very evil, but some groups think it is a sacred and holy act. Is it right? Is it wrong? It is up to you and the gods you believe in to decide. As for feeling gladness that you are not in another's shoes? For not having the fate of needing to fight to the death in stupid and meaninglessly bloody fights each day, not knowing when you will eventually die? I would like to think that most would have the same feeling as you do to some extent. At least, I had similar feelings as you do."

At his words, the nauseating feeling in my stomach subsided significantly.

"Thanks, sir Erno." - I bowed slightly.

"Don't mention it. These are words I was told long ago. I am just returning the karma. Now let's be off. The mistress awaits."

I nodded and followed Erno, my heart and mind more at ease.

Soon, we reached a rune-covered wooden door on the second floor.

Erno knocked on the door, "Mistress, I came with Mog to see you."

Oom* Kacha*

After a few seconds, the runes on the door dimmed and the tightly shut door opened.

If you were in Mog's shoes, what do you think you would feel?
Results are only viewable after voting. You must be logged in to vote.
16