Chapter 10: Affinities
452 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Wow,” I let slip. Enamored by her literally golden hair and the new headpiece which seemed to appear out of nowhere.

Ulla laughed lightly at my declaration.

“Your hair and that tiara are amazing,” I clarified.

“My hair?” Bella asked before nervously yelling. “Wait is my hair white too!”

She held her hair out so she could look. “I’m a blonde!”

“No,” I corrected. “Your hair is golden…I mean literally a shining gold.”

“Yes,” Ulla laughed. “That is the sign of a bestowal. When you arrive in Praecantio you will be able to determine a rough idea of someone’s aptitudes and blessing by the richness of their hair.”

Then that means, my hair is white because of Thoth’s magic. Interesting. But why didn’t it change color again with Ulla’s blessing?

“With regards to the bestowed ability,” Ulla continued, making the same flick of her hand before more text appeared in front of Bella.

[Translation]

[Recovery]

[Boost]

<Aura of Healing>

<Regeneration>

<Rejuvenation>

“Interesting,” Ulla said beaming at Bella. “Restorative traits and abilities.”

“I am studying pre-med,” Bella stated. “To be a doctor.”

“Medicine,” Ulla smiled. “What a perfect choice to support a kingdom. With regards to your bestowal, you have gained three abilities and three traits and a hero’s tool. All of which seem to complement your chosen path.”

“Hero’s tool?” Bella asked.

“Yes, the circlet on your head,” Ulla responded. “When a hero emerges from the void, the energy they carry will often condense into a magical tool. Upon your head is your unique tool.”

She waved her hand again and more text appeared. “The {Headdress of Hall}.” Ulla stated. “It will provide a general defensive boost as well as shield your head from all but the most powerful attacks. Not that you should consider your head to be completely invincible.

As to your abilities. I have condensed three abilities for you. These are magic skills you can directly call upon by focusing your magic without needing to study the specific spells. Again, you shouldn’t just rely on the abilities when you arrive in Praecantio. Learn magic skills which match your affinities.

“You keep mentioning affinities,” Bella said. “What do you mean by that?”

“Oh, I’m sorry. I keep forgetting that your world doesn’t have magic,” Ulla apologized.

Although it sounded more like a criticism of our gods to me.

With a wave of her hand Ulla summoned a small crystalline tablet. It was perfectly clear. No that wasn’t true, there were swirls of colors shimmering from within. It looked very similar to the “light” I saw emanating from Thoth’s ankh and those which emanated throughout Ulla and Thoth’s respective locations. Both there and not there at the same time.

“Hold this,” Ulla said, handing the plate to Bella.

The moment she did, the “light” burst from within the tablet. It enveloped Bella in a myriad of colors before recondensing back into the pad. Then a series of images began to float to the surface of the tablet.

“The gods of Praecantio have classified sixteen types of magic. The elementals fire, wind, water, earth; those composing existence spacetime, magnetism, void, and alchemic; the physical elements of life physical, nature, beast, tool; and those composing self light, dark, spirit, mind. Individuals in Praecantio will gain attributes according to their heritage and location. Varying locations will exude specific affinity types. For example, the large forest of Averon produces primarily nature affinity thus the forest is thick and lush and those who live there often develop nature affinities as well.”

I had so many questions. What constituted an affinity? Did the affinities cover more than their title or were there things left without magic? What about electricity? What was void magic? So many questions. But my largest current question was what affinities Bella and I might have had.

On the crystalline plate a variety of symbols appeared to float up to and then above the surface.

“Excellent,” Ulla chimed. “You see summoned heroes will acquire affinities as they traverse the interdimensional space. You absorb and condense pure magic which then gets funneled into different magic affinities.

This symbol, for example, represents spacetime magic and this one void magic. They are the most common for creatures traveling through interdimensional space to acquire and will allow you to learn magic like {Storage} and even {Timescape}. With enough practice of course.”

Ulla continued to explain that Bella also had affinities for beast, physical, light and spirit magic. Apparently six affinities was normal for a hero, but exceptionally rare for a person of Praecantio.

She also explained that through combinations of affinities different magical skills could be produced.

To me that sounded like research. Perhaps that was something I could help Bella with. Researching the magics which she could best use as a Hero.

“What about Bella’s traits and abilities,” I asked. “What do they do?”

I had read their names, but without her explanations I could only guess as to their function.

“Oh right,” Ulla said. “The traits and abilities. Well Bella, your traits are <Aura of Healing> which will provide natural recovery to those near you, <Regeneration> which will naturally heal your own wounds and ailments and <Rejuvenation> which will help keep your energy high, providing an increased mana recovery to you and those around you.

As for your three abilities. [Translation] will work the same as your friend’s [Interpretation] providing you with a translation of the oral and written languages of Praecantio. Next [Recovery] is a healing magic which will heal physical wounds. Finally, [Boost]. [Boost] will improve the abilities of the target.

I think I understand the difference between Bella and I now. Her abilities are absurd. Three aptitudes, the ability to heal any wound, boosting all stats and skills. A nearly impenetrable defensive item for her head.

I can study at a slightly faster rate. Yippee.

“How do we use abilities?”

“Abilities require only your thoughts for them to activate,” Ulla explained.

“Can she heal my eyes?” I joked. “I think I went blind from that display.”

I really was joking, but the next thing I knew my eyesight went from blotchy to perfectly clear. In fact, clearer than I had ever seen. Everything looked like it was in ultra-high definition.

“You should be aware,” Ulla warned “that as a summoned hero you will have immense mana reserves, but that does not mean they are inexhaustible. Be sure not to push yourself too far. Even heroes have limits.”

“I understand,” Bella began. “I will be sure to –”

“I would like to discuss with you more,” Ulla smiled, raising a hand to cut Bella off, “but I’m afraid our time is up. The summoning is concluding. I am sure Acone will take good care of you both. Good Luck.”

13