Chapter 21: New Clothing
271 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the discussion of traits and affinities, the group discussed the training regiments for Bella.

“You will be practicing directly with Sir Belethier, Sir Larmambert and myself,” the prince said to Bella.

To be assigned direct instruction from the two high generals was likely a great honor. And hopefully that meant that Bella and I would be spending some time together while we were with Perceval. Additionally to be receiving lessons from the prince.

“Your Highness?” the high advisor said surprised.

“Yes, so long as Bella has no objection I would like to take care of her instruction of Acone history, politics and etiquette.”

“Um…no of course I don’t,” Bella said, a bit unsure.

“Then your training regime will consist of the physical, the magical and the political,” the prince smiled. “It will be a lot of work. You will begin before the dawn training with Sir Larmambert and end well past the last bell’s toll training with me.”

“I understand.”

“That’s the spirit!” The high general Sir Larmambert said.

“I look forward to working with you,” said Sir Belethier, the high mage general.

“As for your training,” the high advisor said to me. “You will continue learning swordsmanship and the martial arts from Sir Buckhold, be researching magic with Sir Belethier and learning Acone’s politics, history and etiquette from me. Your regime will also start before the sun’s rise with Sir Buckhold’s knights, and end with your research with Sir Belethier.”

Wait…wouldn’t that mean that Bella and I wouldn’t see each other? If she were training with Perceval in the day and I was researching with him into the night. Were they trying to keep us separated?

“I do appreciate that you have already begun your training Elliot,” the prince said. “It shows true initiative and I commend you for it. I suggest that you and Sir Buckhold resume your training for the time being.”

“Yes Your Highness,” Adekin said.

“Yes and you can meet me at the sixth toll,” Perceval added. “We can jump right into the scrolls and books.”

That sounded like fun but returning to training right now…I just took a ‘bath’ and already knew I would be feeling the aftereffects of this morning’s training later. Still what choice did I have?

Soon Adekin was leading me off. While Bella discussed training with the high general.

“I hope you realize how difficult this is going to be,” Adekin said once we were out of earshot of the others. “Without the natural benefits of being a hero or any physical magic affinity…”

I understood that it would be difficult, but I also knew that I had already committed to it. Besides what were my options? I could join him for training or be kicked out into a world I knew nothing about.

“I will do my best to meet your expectations,” I told him as we wound our way down a stairwell.

“You had better,” Adekin said in a far less friendly tone, “I just stuck my neck out for you. I expect great returns.”

Okay. That was a bit of a different side to Adekin. Was that because I was no longer really a hero in his eyes or because he felt a greater burden than when he spoke up on my behalf?

“First things first,” he said. “We need to get you some appropriate clothing.”

We walked across the enormous bailey. Maybe bailey wasn’t the right word. It was more like a campus. Still it was inside a set of protective outer walls. Anyway. We walked across the bailey to a series of small connected buildings. There appeared to be a smithy, a leatherworker’s shop, a tailor’s shop and few other buildings.

“Good morning Dan,” Adekin greeted the man within the tailor’s shop. He was surrounded by cloths of every kind, and clothing of every sort. “Elliot. This is Danyll, the royal tailor. He takes care of all the palace’s clothing needs.”

By himself? No. I could hear various people in the back of the shop. There must have been others.

“Dan we need a tunic and pants for the ‘hero’ here to wear during training. His current clothes really aren’t appropriate.”

“Those are clothes from another world!” Danyll said, excitedly moving to examine my apparel. “My my. Look at the stitching. The material. How was this material constructed? How much did such items cost? How much do you want for them?”

“Um…”

Having some money would certainly help. Especially if I wasn’t sure of being supported by the royal family. I hope they didn’t start making me pay for my residence in the guest house…or my food. I would be in debtor’s jail before long. I wonder if this world has a debtor’s prison? Or worse debt slaves.

“I can’t imagine the hero is familiar with the currency of this world yet Dan,”

Of course I wasn’t, but why would you undercut my negotiation position like that Adekin?

“That is true. I imagine the currency of our world would be far different from that of yours.”

I pulled out my wallet to showcase the bills, credit cards and few coins I had.

“That is interesting,” Adekin said. “I would be interested in acquiring some of that.”

Wow had I just made another sale?

“So you use paper for money?” the tailor said surprised.

“Yes and no, we print money on a special cotton paper and add special dyes and features to make it more difficult to reproduce.”

“Interesting,” the shop keeper said. “Now as to your clothes…perhaps a trade. How about your training clothes, and two pairs of tunics and pants.”

I wondered if I would be receiving clothing from the royal family. Perhaps I really didn’t need to make this trade. Perhaps they wouldn’t and I would only have a single pair of clothing.

“I was originally going to lend you the money for clothing here, but it is a good trade,” Adekin said. “You will receive a small stipend from the royal family in addition to your housing and food, but you will still need to buy things like clothing for yourself.”

I see. Thank you.

“Then I will take you up on your trade,” I told Danyll.

He took my measurements, using what seemed like tailor’s tape with strange markings and intervals on it. I wondered what the measurement system for this world was like.

“Alright, let’s get you fitted,” he said once done with the measurements. “Now I can have the practice clothing done in just a little while. Come back after the fifth toll. Consider that a trade of good faith, but please come back for the rest of your clothing in a couple of days.”

I thanked the tailor and Adekin and I left. We walked across the bailey to the storage shed. In it there were dulled training weapons, gambesons and training equipment of various sorts.

“Grab a gambeson and training sword,” he said. “We’ll start with a review of your stances.”

10