Chapter 49: Wichard Belethier
150 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Good evening Sir Belethier,” I formally greeted Perceval.

Perceval chewed his lip a bit before returning my greeting and inviting me into his study. It seemed as though he were mulling over something important. Perhaps that was why he looked so cross. Had something happened?

I debated briefly whether I should ask what was wrong. Eventually deciding it was none of my business.

“Have a seat Elliot,” Perceval said aggravated. “We need to talk.”

That was never a good sign.

I sat in my usual spot while Perceval began pacing. “I just can’t believe it,” he sighed.

Couldn’t believe what? What happened? Did I do something wrong? Perhaps this was about me asking Alea about mana depletion. Was that supposed to be covered under the umbrella of “don’t bring it up,” Sir Aborisey had mentioned? Was there some great royal secret?

Questions began running through my mind. I was glad it wasn’t Sir Aborisey questioning me or he would likely have seen through every one of them.

“I hope you realize this isn’t acceptable…there are sure to be consequences.”

Consequences to what!?

“Umm Sir Belethier,” I said tentatively. “I’m not entirely sure what it is you are talking about. Is this about Alea?”

Perceval stopped pacing. He turned to me with a severe face. “Of course this is about Princess Alea.”

Perhaps I had really upset her with my question. That was unfortunate.

“I will of course apologize,” I said. “I did suspect, but I honestly didn’t know that it was a problem.”

“Didn’t know it was a problem!” he shouted. “I don’t know how things work in your world, but here…yes it is a problem. You may be considered a hero, but that will only go so far.”

I gulped as Perceval continued to yell at me. I really was just trying to help.

“I don’t even know what you…”

A knock at the door interrupted Perceval’s rant.

Perhaps Perceval was being too loud and Beth was going to tell him to tone it down a bit. That would be nice. In any case I was grateful for the reprieve.

“Come in,” he roared.

It wasn’t Bethany, but rather a young man. I would say he was about my age. Perhaps a bit younger. He wore the colors of Acone as well as a golden noble crest over his heart. At his side hung a short sword.

The young man looked familiar. I was certain I had met him before…yes, He was one of the noblemen I met at the banquet. Let’s see his name was –

“Wichard?” Perceval said surprised. “What are you…”

Perceval went silent as his head moved from looking at Wichard to looking at me.

“Greetings Sir Hero,” Wichard spit.

Had I done something to offend him?

“Greetings – ” I began only to be cut short by a glove slapped across my face.

Wait a glove…was he…?

“I hereby challenge you,” he said. “To an official state duel.”

A duel! Wait…why?

“I…a duel…why?” I stuttered.

“Yes a duel,” he returned. “And as to why. Such a question disgusts me. For the sake of decency of course.”

I was so confused.

“An official duel request has been made,” Perceval said somberly. “What is your response Elliot?”

Response. First, I needed to figure out what was going on. Let’s see what did I know about Wichard. His full name was Wichard Belethier so he was probably related to Perceval. He was a noble and a mage knight…That was it. That was all I knew about him.

“I don’t understand,” I said to Perceval hoping he might fill in the blanks for me.

“Your world does not have duels?” he said surprised. “It is a contest of honor between –”

“No, not that,” I said annoyed. “Why am I being challenged to a duel at all?”

Perceval’s face contorted in a mix of confusion and disdain. “For the sake of decency,” he repeated.

That was all I was going to get.

“Is this something I can refuse?” I asked. “I have nothing against you Wichard.”

“It is not about what you have against me,” he spat, “but what I and others have against you. Should you refuse your name will be run through the mud.”

“Your reputation is at stake here Elliot,” Perceval added.

That doesn’t sound too bad.

“As well as the reputation of Bella, Alea, the Prince, Wichard and many others. Additionally your standing and your lessons with me, Sir Buckhold, and Sir Aborisey may well be negatively impacted.”

Then there was a lot at stake. All because of something I didn’t even know about. What should I do?

“I…I’m not…”

“You are a coward? As a hero I thought you would have more integrity, but I should have known better,” Wichard provoked.

Perceval scoffed.

What was I to do?

“…Okay,” I relented. “What do the duels of your world entail?”

Hopefully this would just be a simple thing. Maybe I might even stand a chance. Perhaps it would be like a competition or something. Duels didn’t have to be with weapons.

“Just show up and lose,” Wichard said.

Unhelpful.

“Tonight, at the last toll of the bell, in the bailey’s training arena,” he continued before turning and walking away.

I turned to a disappointed looking Perceval.

“Can I ask –” I began.

“No. You may not,” he said sternly. “I suggest you use this time to prepare yourself. Leave now.”

“But…”

“My grandson is a skilled mage,” Perceval continued. “He is not someone the likes of a false hero could hope to defeat. You have made this situation and must now accept your fate.”

“My fate?” I repeated.

“That of a disgraced hero. Now leave my sight.”

I didn’t understand. Why was everyone so upset?

Making my way back to the guest house I heard whispers and turned faces. I figured they were discussing me. Maybe even the duel. There was no way of knowing.

“Sir Hero,” Sara said, surprised as I opened the door.

She probably didn’t expect me back so early. Considering my usual schedule.

“Hello Sara,” I said. “Can I ask you something?”

“Of course,” she fidgeted.

“Who exactly is Wichard Belethier?”

My question looked as if it took her completely by surprise. Who knows what she was expecting, but she wasn’t expecting that.

“Sir Wichard Belethier? He is a mage knight,” she said. “The son of Sir Nycolas Belethier and grandson to the high mage. And, of course, fiancé to her highness Alea Hamner e’Acone…”

Fiancé!

5