Chapter 54: After the Duel
154 4 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I am curious,” Bella said entering my room the next morning. “I mean the princess. Was there anything to those rumors? It’s okay if there was I’m just curious.”

I shook my head. “No. We are friends at best. I don’t even think that maybe training partners. It’s true that we went to the city yesterday, but she was just acting as my guide that’s all.”

“I see,” Bella stated. “Are you sure that’s all? I mean from her perspective?”

I asked what she meant. From her perspective.

“Well apparently it is possible for members of nobility to have multiple partners. At least that’s what the prince told me. It’s a way to increase the likelihood of having children with strong blessings. He…um…he kind of…never mind. Just make sure that you check her feelings okay?”

Was Bella saying the rumors might have been partially true? No there’s no way Alea felt that way. She had been clear, hadn’t she? Maybe Bella was right. The best way to find out is to ask her directly.

“I’m also curious about your ability to see mana,” Bella continued. “Sir Belethier…um the high mage, told me about an ability to see mana called [Mana Sight]. He said it is an incredibly rare ability.”

If that’s the case maybe I should keep the fact that I can see mana a secret…for now.

Bella agreed. She promised to keep my confession about seeing mana a secret.

“I wonder…” I muttered.

“If you didn’t receive the ability from Ulla then where did it come from?” Bella finished. “Is it possible Thoth gave you a blessing?”

“I thought about that,” I said, “but then why wouldn’t the sphere which showed our abilities have showed it?”

“Well maybe Thoth’s magic is different somehow? Maybe that crystal ball only shows things from Praecantio.”

If that was the case, then how was I supposed to know? And more importantly was there a possibility I received more abilities that I just didn’t know about? That would be amazing.

We discussed the possibilities for a bit longer. Bella even asked that I tell her what her mana looked like as she used her various skills. I described the various colors of ‘light’ produced by various types of mana. That I could tell the mana type by color was of particular interest. So she began to use the skills Perceval had been teaching her.

I described the dark purples which appeared before she used her 【Void Storage】 skill and the golden color of her [Recovery ability]. She tried out each skill she had learned including several body magic skills. I was surprised how similar the mana flow resembled those which Alea had used in our sparring match.

Perhaps she really was trying to win that match…wait does that mean I actually defeated the princess in a fair fight too? She wasn’t just humoring me? No wonder everyone was so surprised.

Alea…the thought of having to face her today was difficult. I really didn’t want to, but our time was definitely just about up. Soon I would be training and I would have no excuse not to speak with her. It was just so…awkward.

“I think we better be going,” Bella said. “Good luck with the Princess. Just remember to be sensitive. Okay?”

I nodded as she picked up her bowl and left my room.

Getting into my training clothes, I prepared myself for the day. Today should be muscle training for A group. That should give Alea and I plenty of time to talk.

For the first time, Alea was not the first one at the training grounds. Perhaps she was as disturbed by the thought of seeing me as I had been to see her.

What I did see was a line of knights waiting for me. Adekin at one side arms crossed.

All of a sudden, the knights bowed formally, “We are sorry for our part in the misunderstandings which led to your fight with Sir Belethier,” they said in unison.

I was a bit taken aback. That is until Adekin clarified.

“The Princess clarified things a bit after you and the female hero left,” he explained. “She made it clear that you had made no romantic advances toward her and that any further rumors would result in disciplinary action.”

Oh. Harsh.

Then why wasn’t she here this morning?

“Furthermore,” Adekin stated, “the princess has altered her training schedule to avoid further misunderstandings.”

But wouldn’t that just lead to more rumors…argh there will be a presumption of guilt if she does that.

I accepted the knights’ apology and Adekin commanded the formation of knights to begin their jog.

“Hold up a bit Elliot,” he said as the knights’ formation began to move. “I also wanted to let you know. Sir Belethier will not be going unscathed from the duel. The Princess was quite upset by the whole event. I don’t know what the results will be but there are a few possibilities. Anything from a demotion in rank to monetary compensation to the victor. The punishment will be handed down from the royal family as well so there may be other social ramifications for him.”

Yikes! That sounds like I will be receiving quite a bit of animosity.

As if on cue Adekin told me that I should be aware that there would be those unpleased by the results of the duel. In many people’s perspective I was in the wrong and despite the Princess’ denial rumors would persist. “Just be careful,” Adekin warned.

Great, now I would have to watch my back. What types of dangers would I have to watch out for?

I gratefully thanked Adekin before the knights completed their first loop. Jumping in line as they passed.

Today I trained by myself. Perhaps no one wanted to be associated with me. Perhaps they all just had their own regular routine. In any case, I trained alone.

3