Chapter 55: Next Steps
180 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At first, I was not looking forward to my meeting with Sir Aborisey. I expected he would have lots of questions. Although with his intuitive nature he might just believe me when I tell him that there was nothing going on between Alea and I.

Yes, the closer I got to his office, the more I wanted him to ask me. People would believe it if he confirmed I had no intentions.

“Greetings Elliot,” Sir Aborisey said as I entered. “First let me congratulate you on your victory last night. Second let me emphasize that I have no interest in whether the rumors about you and her highness are true. As far as I am concerned the matters of Alea’s heart are outside my business. What I am concerned with is the social repercussions. And those will be coming quickly.”

Coming quickly? What does he mean by that?

Also…no interest in the rumors, then he wasn’t even going to ask me?

“What repercussions?” I asked.

“There is a perceived slight against the royal family. This will not end well for you. Whether you won the duel or not. In fact winning may serve to intensify the feelings of those who are concerned about your behavior. Additionally, I wonder if Sir Belethier was acting by himself or if others may have instigated the duel.”

Other’s may have instigated the duel? Who would do such a thing and why?

“But I didn’t – ” I began only to be stopped by a raised hand.

“That is not what is important here,” he said. “You must be very careful from now on.”

That was the same advice Adekin had given me. But why was Aborisey giving me the same advice? Why was he warning me?

“You need to be prepared,” he continued. “Let’s discuss a few possible outcomes…”

Until the next stroke of the bell we discussed state duels and the myriad of effects winning and losing could have. On everything from titles to positions.

“There is a chance your position will be altered,” he explained at one point. “To move you away from the princess.”

Wasn’t that what was going to happen if I lost? Then was this some forgone conclusion?

“It all depends on who supports you and who opposes you,” Aborisey explained. “Specifically, those in the royal family and those on the high council.”

Great. Considering the rumors are that I was inappropriate with the princess, I can imagine the king and queen would be none too pleased with me. And as far as the high council, Perceval had already made their position clear. I was a tool and nothing more.

“Then should I expect to be moved somewhere else?” I asked.

“Not necessarily,” he replied. “It is merely one possibility. You may also be demoted to the position of knight or brought in as a full-time consultant for Perceval. Although with victories against both Princess Alea and Sir Belethier I would expect becoming a knight would be more likely.”

Our conversation continued as Sir Aborisey ran through possibilities and options. What I should do, who I should speak to and who I should avoid. There was a lot of information, but I think I got the gist of it.

Thanking Sir Aborisey for his instruction, I left for my meeting with Fiena.

She paced back and forth as I approached.

Turning she spotted me. “Elliot!” she yelled, running to meet me. “I can’t believe it. You really beat Sir Belethier in a duel over the princess!?”

“Yes,” I affirmed. Although I wasn’t liking the implications of ‘a duel over the princess.’

“That’s amazing. Then were the rumors about you and Princess Alea true? Were you challenging for her hand in marriage?”

Wait what? Is that the new rumor? Oh no.

“No. NO!” I nearly yelled. “Sir Belethier challenged me on grounds of a misunderstanding. I swear that’s all.”

“Really?” she asked slyly. “You can tell me.”

“Really that’s all. There is nothing between Alea and I. Nothing between Bella and I and nothing between…”

“You and I?” she finished. “That kind of hurts.”

Oops. Was that insensitive?

“Sorry, I didn’t mean…”

Fiena smiled. “I know.”

She settled into her normal position as we began our training. I awkwardly following.

“Oh and I think I found out why the princess was acting strangely toward you,” she said, “but I think I should wait until we are alone in your room.”

“How did you find out so quickly?” I asked, breaking my concentration.

“Focus on your mana absorption,” Fiana redirected me. “And I … um I sort of followed her.”

Then there was somewhere we would have to go? ‘Perhaps it has something to do with why she was unavailable yesterday evening,’ I thought.

“Thank you for finding out for me,” I said, grateful to have made a friend like Fiena.

“Um… yes and there is also something else,” she stated hesitantly. “There is a rumor about your friend. You see…and you said there is nothing between you right?”

“Yes that’s right,” I said warily. “We are just friends.”

“Okay, good,” she said. “Then you should know there are rumors that Prince Philip has plans to court her. The rumors went hand-in-hand with the ones about you and the princess. The two heroes and two of the royal family. Well you can imagine.”

But he was married. Actually Bella did say the royal family might have multiple partners…then was it possible that was his way of opening the door? Perhaps that was what bothered Bella on their trip to the city. Did the prince make a move toward her. Did she reject his advances? Was that the cause of the awkwardness?

‘No,’ I thought trying to calm myself down. ‘I should not get caught up in these rumors.’

I knew firsthand how blown out of proportion they could get. After all Bella never mentioned anything like the Prince making moves towards her. Besides gossiping about the first prince was probably not a good thing to do.

For now, I would remain skeptical. Maybe I should ask Bella? No then I might plant a seed in her mind which would make things awkward during her training sessions.

“Can I ask you about something else?” I said trying to change the subject.

“Of course ask me about anything you like,” she smiled.

“You told me I needed to perceive mana,” I said. “How do you actually do that? I mean what does it look like?”

It may help me to know some more about how others perceive mana. That way I can avoid giving away my apparent ability.

“Well, you won’t exactly see it,” she explained. “You would need an ability like Mana Sight to actually see mana. The perception is really more of a feeling. It’s like a separate sense where you can feel the vague presence of mana flowing.”

Interesting. Then my ability was superior as I could tell exactly what the mana was doing and use it as a second sight.

“Then you feel the mana more than perceive it?”

I wondered what it felt like…had I ever felt mana? Or had I just ‘seen’ it. I suppose I felt flowing mana when I practiced. Particularly with body magic. I could feel the mana moving. Then I was actually already able to feel it.

That’s fantastic.

“I think I have felt it,” I reported to Fiena. “I think I get it now.”

“Great! Then let’s get back to your absorption. You have a long way to go. Now that you can perceive the mana focus on the feeling of pulling it into your body. The mana will be diluted so pull in as much as you can.”

4