Chapter 58: Before the Sun has Risen
146 4 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hello Everyone,

As a thank you to my supporters on Patreon, I have posted an additional chapter for this week. Thank you to all who have taken an interest in my story. I hope you continue to enjoy.

TerraSci

I woke early. Traveling to the princess’ room as I did every day. I pulled the set of heavy curtains to allow the rising sun to permeate the room with the light blessing of Ulla. It was difficult to imagine Ulla smiling down on me, my lady and Kaland.

The threat of demons and monsters was looming. I overheard the guards discussing the influx of soldiers being trained for the inevitable march into Picham. Their worry over facing monster hordes. Of trying to combat the flying demons.

The view from the Princess’ room, which had always been a comfort, reminded me just how fragile life in Praecantio could be. I was privileged to live in such a well-fortified structure, but not all Aconians were so lucky.

Looking out the window, my thoughts drifted to the heroes who had been summoned. It had been a week since their original summoning. They worked to increase their strength, to prepare to fight for Acone. One of the heroes had even bested both Princess Alea and the young Sir Belethier. Remarkable.

I wish I could say that their presence filled me with hope. That the heroes would bring salvation from the demons and monster hordes. But I could not help but resent their very presence in Praecantio.

Sighing, I turned back to the large bed situated on one side of the room.

I longed for my lady’s voice calling out to me. Teasing me for my formality or presenting some early-morning question to test my wits.

Making my way to the bed, I ran my fingers along the curtains of the princess’ bed.

“Good morning,” I said quietly. “Ulla is once again rising over Acone…she will be smiling brightly today…”

As I looked to the bed, I could not help but break down.

I longed for Princess Laeanna’s smiling face, her cheerful laughter. I longed to hear the voice of my friend.

A knock at the door pulled me from my thoughts. I could guess who it was. For the past few days, the same visitor would arrive at my lady’s room early every morning and late into every evening.

“Greetings your highness,” I said with a bow.

“Good morning Arlenia,” princess Alea greeted me. “Has there been any change?”

I turned looking to the bed. There lying behind the veil was my lady, Princess Laeanna. She remained as she had been for the past week. In a state of total mana depletion. All but dead to the world.

“I am sorry your highness,” I replied. “There has been no change.”

“I see,” she said sadly before turning to leave. “Arlenia, thank you for watching over my sister. I know she always thought of you as a friend.”

“Thank you, your highness,” I replied through welling tears.

As Princess Alea left me to my work, I went about my morning duties. Seeing to the needs of the room and my lady.

3