Chapter 75: Return to the Dome
127 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I spent another night in the dungeon cell. This time I slept much better. Not great, mind you but better.

My dreams centered around the resuscitation of Princess Laeanna. The spell which I performed went well. She recovered and awoke from her coma-like state. Then she joined Alea, Bella and I on our tour of Praecantio. I dreamed of Tara joining us on our journey in this strange world as well. It was a peaceful and pleasant time. I dreamt of Ulla and Thoth, of my magical blessings and becoming a true hero.

It was just as a bright light shown down from the sky that I was awoken. The bright light of a post-dawn sun shining on my face through the small window. The light attributed to the goddess Ulla.

I began wondering whether the star Praecantio orbited was controlled by Ulla or if it was just attributed to her. Was all light in her domain or just some? What about the light from a fire? Does credit go to Ulla or to the god overseeing the element of fire?

‘Oh well,’ I thought, stretching my back. ‘It doesn’t really matter.’

Still it was nice to have good dreams. And who knows maybe they will come true.

I certainly hoped I would be able to help Laeanna. That she would recover and all this stuff about Fiena would just go away.

“Good morning Elliot,” Arba greeted me as I moved to a seated position against the cage wall. “Sleep well?”

It was a far cry from the glares I was getting before.

“Can I ask you something?” I said thinking back to my attempts the night before.

“Yes, is it about my being an elf?”

“No,” I said flatly. “I was wondering about physical mana.”

“Oh, then yes of course.” He sounded surprised. “What would you like to know.”

“Well Princess Alea told me that physical mana was essential for movement in Praecantio. That the magic supports the physical operations of the body.”

“Yes. And?”

“Well it’s just that I am trying to figure out how the physical mana could be moved and redistributed with only a little motion,” I said. “The spell, it would have to require the participants move sparingly, but I can’t figure it out.”

“You mean moving physical mana without moving your muscles?”

“Yes exactly.”

“As far as I know,” Arba said, “there must be some physical motion. There is no other way.”

Oh. That was not the answer I was looking for. Then how would I perform the spell with a person who wasn’t able to move through the physical affinity practice movements? Actually how would I possibly use enough physical mana with just those simple movements.

I was beginning to really worry.

We discussed the affinity types as time passed. Eventually the forth bell tolled. Time for another guard rotation.

But it wasn’t just any guard. Adekin had come to relieve the guard.

“Sir?” the guard questioned.

Clearly he did not expect Adekin to be the guard relief.

“It’s alright,” Adekin said jovially, “I’m just filling in. All’s well.”

Something didn’t seem right. After the guard left, Adekin approached the cage. “Are you ready to try this?” he asked.

Was this? Were we sneaking out of the prison?

“…I am,” I said, hesitantly. “Did…did you get permission to take me out of the great keep? I don’t mean to be rude, but you seem to be acting suspiciously.”

“Of course I have permission,” he said. “Although I am afraid I will have to bring you back to the cell when we are done with the spell. Hopefully it won’t be too much longer though.”

He unlocked my shackles from the chain before turning to Arba. “For either of you.”

Adekin led me, still shackled, down the stairs of the great keep. We wove through corridors and traversed locked doors with the odd guard stationed. We made our way across the bailey in a very roundabout fashion before arriving at the earthen dome I constructed while absorbing the earth mana affinity.

The earth mana in the ground was still radiating outward from the dome. The range of the mana distortion was vast. All the way across the bailey and at least as far as the tower. Perhaps further. I thought about using earth mana to see how far I could sense, but figured I should probably not exert any excess mana before the spell.

The dome itself still possessed strong infused mana, but inside I clearly made out several people. Alea, Sir Aborisey, several guards, Bella and a maid. And an odd dead space which looked roughly human shaped lying across the ground. I presumed that to be Laeanna’s mana-depleted body.

Why were we using the same dome, I wondered? It made sense not to use the room in the palace in case this spell was as destructive as the earth mana absorption spell, but why not an open spot in the bailey.

I was about to ask when Adekin suddenly stopped. “Before we go any farther,” he said sternly. “I want to make something very clear to you. I support Her Majesty’s decision. However, if I see you step out of line in any way. If you or the princess begin to form mana crystals. If this is some kind of ruse. Know that I will take action. I will be watching and should anything be out of place you will breathe your last breath. Is that clear.”

Gulp. “Yes sir,” was all I could muster. I absolutely believed he was serious.

“Good,” Adekin said before motioning for me to pass through the first dome.

“Are the shackles really necessary?” Alea asked Adekin. “Where is he going to go?”

“They are merely a precaution,” Adekin sighed moving to unshackle my hands.

When he came closer to me, he gave me a look which clearly said, ‘remember what I said’.

“Elliot,” Bella said as she ran to hug me. “Don’t worry, you’ll save the princess and then everything will be alright.”

“That may or may not be true,” Sir Aborisey stated. “Many things have already begun to unravel and though saving Princess Laeanna may provide support for those pulling for your release, it is by no means a foregone conclusion.”

“What do you mean things have begun to unravel?” I asked.

“Well,” Alea said. “He means the council already met once to decide the results of the duel with my ex-fiancé and there will still be consequences for performing a forbidden spell.”

“But aren’t we performing a forbidden spell right now?” I contested. “And what do you mean ex-fiancé?”

Even in the darkened dome I could see the irritation on Alea’s face. “Wichard challenged you without any proof, did not consult with me and did not listen to me when I tried to express the truth. How could I marry someone like that?”

Oh.

“I am sorry that your betrothal was dissolved,” I said to Alea. Glad that the political marriages were not permanent or without the parties’ assent.

There was a bit of an awkward silence before Adekin made a request. “Could you use your earth magic skills and bring down this inner dome? That way we can all witness the spell being performed.”

Or more likely so that he could strike if he didn’t like what he saw.

“I can try,” I said.

I hadn’t used earth mana since I had absorbed it the other day. And I still didn’t know any actual spells. Just my fake spells. Still, I should have at least some earth affinity now. So let’s try it.

Placing my hand against the dome, I felt the mana which was circulating. I imagined the mana flowing from my body, through my hand, in into the structure. Mingling with the mana already present in the dome.

With a deep breath I willed the dome apart and back into the ground where it came from. It wasn’t a perfect fit since I had also compacted the soil to form the rock of the dome. Still the dome receded into the ground.

“Then you really did gain the earth affinity,” Sir Aborisey stated.

Wait was this a test?

I bet it was.

“That’s fantastic,” Bella cheered.

“Yeah,” Alea added. “Now you have at least one affinity. Good for you.”

That didn’t sound sincere at all. Was she perhaps upset that she only recently found out I was a hero in name only?

“Alright,” Adekin said. “Prepare the magic circle. Guards take defensive positions around the inner dome.”

It was time.

3