Chapter 81: Meeting of the High Council Part II
121 4 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Perhaps we should move on to the matter of the demon,” Sir Harringney said. “She is truly the main concern.”

Sir Harringney was the High Physician Bella had been working with. She described him as a reasonable person who would let logic and evidence sway his opinions. Sir Harringney had been highly receptive to the idea of medical treatments from Earth, even setting up the opportunity for Bella to teach an introductory course on what she knew of Earth medicine.

I should note that Bella’s father has experience as an army medic and taught Bella a great deal about medicine. She was also in the premed program at college and worked as a member of the campus EMT squad.

Anyway, Sir Harringney had been fairly neutral in his opinions thus far. I was hopeful I could count him as being on my side.

“Very well, Conandus,” Duchess Jaiwlers said. “Sara, is it true that Fiena was seen entering and exiting the accused’s room late every night?”

Sara rose. “Yes mam.”

“And Viliame,” the Duchess continued. “Is it true that Fiena was spotted doing affinity training with the accused behind the guard house?”

Viliame rose. “Yes mam.”

“Then we have established that they knew each other and were working on mana absorption,” she said smugly. “Elliot, did you and Fiena prepare the mana absorption spell together?”

Finally, it was my turn to speak. “Yes mam, but I – ”

“Just answer the questions asked of you,” the prince warned.

But there was more to it. I needed to express that I knew nothing about the dangers. That Fiena tricked me. I didn’t know she was a demon cat!

“And were you warned of the dangers of mana absorption?” The prince asked.

“Um…yes, your highness, but – ”

“Then you worked with the demon knowing the dangers of mana absorption. Knowingly opening yourself to monsterfication,” the Duchess pressed. “I would contend that demonstrates intent.”

What? No it didn’t. I never studied law in any depth, but that couldn’t possibly be enough to prove intent.

The ‘trial’ went on for some time. Perceval and Aborisey spoke against me withholding valuable information and my main defense of revitalizing the princess was basically dismissed as being a desperate act of a condemned person.

Only rarely was I called on to state my side and almost always with leading questions biased against my perspective. I was not allowed to plead my case or defend my stance. It was incredibly frustrating.

Bella held my hand as we were asked to leave for the council to deliberate.

I wondered what the king’s perspective was. Every member of the council spoke at some point, except for King Philip II. He didn’t ask any questions or pose any conclusions. Perhaps it was his role to remain unbiased in these sorts of situations, but I found it unnerving not knowing the perspective of the most important person in the room.

“It’ll be alright,” Alea said, trying to comfort me.

“I can’t believe they were so dismissive,” Laeanna stated under her breath.

“Is there anything else we can do?” Bella asked. “I mean they didn’t even call on me or ask if anyone had anything else to say or anything.”

“That’s not how these things work in Acone,” Arba said with a disappointed shake of this head. “I’m sorry Elliot.”

“Things aren’t looking so good for our false hero,” Wichard said smugly.

I wonder, if I were going down anyway, would anyone mind if I just punched him? I kind of wanted to try out my new muscles. No, I would resist the urge.

The girls, Arba and I made our way back to the waiting room. Wichard and several guards just left. Perhaps they felt my fate was a forgone conclusion.

With execution having been discussed I was more than a little apprehensive. I wondered if there was a way to escape this?

“Um Alea,” Bella said before sitting down. “Can I talk to you for a minute?”

Alea nodded her head. “Please excuse us,” she said. “We’ll be right back.”

With that the two left and Arba, Laeanna and I sat.

“Is there anything I can do, Arba?” Laeanna asked. “I mean as first princess, or maybe you as a representative of Eynlune?”

Arba merely shook his head. “I’m afraid not,” he said sadly. “Elliot’s fate is in the hands of the council now.”

“Do you have any idea what they will decide?” I asked. “I mean is there any kind of precedence we can look to?”

Arba thought for a moment, but shook his head again. “If we are talking about precedence with summoned persons then no. The closest would be the hero Garrett who turned on the nation who summoned him, joining the enemy and that would obviously have ended poorly for him had he been caught by the nation. Besides the council seemed to have decided you would be treated as a regular Aconian citizen. And for a regular citizen, two counts of treason is very weighty.”

“But I don’t blame Elliot for what happened to me,” Laeanna protested. “Shouldn’t that count for something?”

“Unfortunately, we both know that it wouldn’t,” Arba continued. “You know as well as I that your condition was more likely an excuse than a concern.”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

Laeanna lowered her head. “You’ve certainly noticed,” she said. “I am an elf.”

“So?”

“So?” Laeanna stated surprised. “Don’t you understand the implications of the first princess being an elf?”

Honestly no.

“Elliot’s world does not seem to hold the same biases against elves, Laeanna,” Arba stated. “Although when you were dismissive of me in the hallway and then accused me of being in league with the demons I thought for certain you did so because I was an elf.”

“About that,” I said. “How did you get out of the great keep?”

“Holly… I mean Queen Holone,” Arba answered.

He’s slipped up like that a few times. I wonder just what their relationship is. I would bet they were old friends back in Eynlune before Holone married Philip II.

I wanted to press, to satisfy my curiosity, but figured that would be more than a little rude.

“Are you saying that the royal family values Laeanna less because she is an elf?”

“Shh,” Arba warned. “No I am not saying that. But…”

His eyes shifted as if to say ‘yes that is exactly what I am saying.’

“But she is the first princess,” I quietly retorted. “Daughter of the king and queen. How could something like having long ears make that much of a difference?”

Laeanna smiled sweetly to me. Arba shook his head.

“You don’t understand,” he said softly. “Perhaps the implications are going over your head.”

Then explain it to me!

“Suffice it to say,” Laeanna said, leaning in toward me. “There were some who were not as upset as others when I fell ill.”

3