Chapter 85: One Last Training
86 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With time slipping by, I couldn’t help but look around the room. The thought of so many people worried for my wellbeing. So many people who would be willing to stand on my behalf. It brought a smile to my face and the beginnings of a tear to my eye. Whatever happened, I was glad I got to spend this time with these people.

“I should go and report on your decision,” Sir Aborisey finally stated. “Your Highness.”

Bowing to the queen, Sir Aborisey excused himself.

“I would like to give you a final lesson regarding pole arms,” Adekin said. “If your highness does not object.”

“Not at all,” said Queen Holly. “Although I imagine Elliot might want to spend his last night with his friends rather than training.”

“Last night?” I asked.

“Oh yes,” Adekin said. “The council decided to give you until the sixth toll to make your decision, but conceded to one final night at the palace. Given your decision to accept banishment you will be expected to be out of Kaland by the second toll tomorrow morning.”

Wasn’t that important information? Here I was expecting to be kicked out of the palace at the sixth toll and have to find shelter before it got dark. Figuring that my meal with the queen was to be my last one at the palace.

“Thank you for letting me know,” I said, a bit irritated.

“Why don’t we train with you?” Alea suggested. “Bella and I could use work on our polearm training anyway. And that way we can spend the evening together.”

Honestly, I didn’t feel like training, but I knew Adekin was trying to be supportive. He seemed genuinely concerned for me. Which made me all the more concerned as to what I might face in the Aconian countryside.

“I agree,” Bella stated. “You should get as much preparation as you can.”

“Okay,” I stated. “One last training.”

Adekin jumped to his feet. “Excellent. Then let’s go to the training grounds right away.”

He was certainly gung-ho. Although maybe that was because we didn’t have much time left.

“I wish you good luck with your training,” the queen said rising.

The entire room stood at attention as the queen moved to exit the room. “Be sure to give him a good lesson Adekin,” she said before leaving with Arba.

Adekin led Alea, Bella and me out to the training weapon shed.

“I presume you have no experience with polearms?” Alea teased.

“Um…no,” I said, head down.

“Then let’s start with a simple spear,” Adekin suggested handing me a tall spear. “We will review basic stances as well as tactics against monsters you might face.”

I donned a gambeson and took the blunted weapon. Expecting Adekin would run me ragged in this training. “Yes sir.”

Bella opted to forgo her war fork and train with a spear as well. Perhaps the techniques would be different.

“First,” Adeking stated as we arrived at the training grounds. “We will cover basic positions for the spear.”

Demonstrating several common defensive and offensive stances, Adekin looked to be an expert with the spear. Not that I was surprised. Given his position and duties, he was probably an expert with all manner of weapons.

I was grateful that I had taken the opportunity to read through the text regarding spear techniques earlier in the week as it made the lesson much easier to follow. Adekin was clearly trying to cram in a lot of information.

“When you take this position,” he would say. “Be sure to keep your stance wide… It is all about balance…don’t let your opponent get past the end of the spear…should you find yourself in a situation with a weighty monster, be sure to plant yourself like this…”

He instructed, we practiced, he corrected and we continued. The training continued well past the sixth bell and the time I thought I would be kicked out of the palace.

“Don’t lose focus,” Adekin warned. “We still have time. Concentrate. The spear should be a little higher…Push off with your back foot…good.”

I watched Alea in particular while we trained. Trying to match the mana flow of her physical mana. Uncertain how much physical mana I had actually managed to absorb with the spell, but certain I should try to mimic her’s to the best of my ability.

“I think that is all the basics,” Adekin finally stated. “Know that there is a lot more, but that should be good enough for now.”

“Can we also discuss physical affinity skills?” I asked. I was tired, but not nearly as much as I would have thought. Perhaps it was my new physical mana affinity or my new muscles, but I was still rearing to go. “I would love to learn a few basic skills as well if you don’t mind.”

This time Alea jumped in. “I would be happy to teach you the skills I know,” she said. “Here watch me closely. The first skill uses the invocation ‘Enhance feet’ and it acts to strengthen the muscles in your feet. It can be used to run faster or push off during strikes.”

‘Doesn’t that description kind of just make sense?’ I thought as I listened to Alea. Actually, that might just be an effect of my [Interpretation] ability. After all her voice did split when she gave the invocation.

Alea then demonstrated the skill with a powerful strike of her spear. “You see?”

I did. With my mana sight I could make out exactly how the mana moved and the results of the invocation.

“Now keep in mind,” Adekin warned. “Skills will take a long time to learn. So even if you learn several today don’t expect to master them.”

“I understand,” I said. “Then please show me as many as you can so that I can use my <Catalog> trait to memorize them to practice later.”

Alea smiled and pumped her fist. “You got it, just watch me.”

She proceeded to demonstrate not only 【Enhance Feet】, but 【Enhance Grip】, 【Enhance Arms】, 【Breath Control】, 【Empowered Strike】, and a myriad of other physical affinity skills. I watched her every movement hoping my Ulla-given traits would be able to keep up and store them all in my long-term memory. I would have to try them all out another time.

We continued training until it was nearly dark. At which point Adekin called the training. “It is unsafe to train past this time,” he stated. “Even if you can still see the glow of mana within our bodies, Alea and Bella shouldn’t be training in the dark.”

“I understand,” I responded. “Thank you for giving me this lesson. And for all the lessons you have given me. I appreciate it.”

“You’re welcome,” Adekin smiled. “It’s just too bad we didn’t get to see your full potential. Please keep practicing your lessons as best as you can.”

“I will.”

 With that Adekin led us to the training equipment building before locking it.

“I will be sure to see you off tomorrow morning,” he said before leaving for the night.

“The three of us should have dinner together,” Alea said, as Bella and I turned toward the guest house.

“Really?” Bella said hesitantly. “Is that okay?”

“We will be by the door,” one of the guards who had been watching us train said. “It should be fine.”

I got the impression that wasn’t what Bella had intended.

But there was little to do. If the princess wanted to have dinner then we would be eating with the princess.

We spent hours talking, telling Alea about Earth and letting Alea tell us about Praecantio. She told us about holidays and cultural norms which Sir Aborisey hadn’t even mentioned. Things like informal greetings and slang. It was practical information I felt would be beneficial while I began my…banishment.

It was really starting to sink in now. I was about to be banished from a nation’s capital city. And with my distinguished hair it would be…well I wouldn’t be back anytime soon.

But at least for the night, I enjoyed the company of Alea and Bella, the nation’s second princess and summoned hero. My friends.

2