Chapter 38 – Waiting
1.5k 2 44
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

„I didn’t do it on purpose! I was under control...”

„Yes! She lied to us to help her, and before we realized, we were brainwashed!...”

„It’s so frightening! I never thought there can be so strong ability! I can’t notice there was something wrong!”

Lex watched the survivors and felt a headache. He didn’t know Gardena’s ability was mind control, but he knew how strong it was. Sometimes Queen controlled them when she was angered. But it wasn’t a complete control, at least she let them know they were controlled. They saw their body move against their will and it left a big shadow in their mind. Later, they didn’t dare to question her or do anything that could anger her...

Lex looked up at the sky and sighed. He didn’t want to know how it felt to being controlled even his mind...

Egbert watched the guys and frowned. „Even if they were controlled later, they helped Gardena on their own at the beginning... Their intent to go against Vincent is real! Bringing them back is a bad idea! But letting them go... They could be potential threats in the future.”

„I think the same way!”

They looked back and saw Vincent walking over to them. He caressed Queen’s back and the cat lazily yawned in his arms. She finished her job and just wanted to sleep in this cold weather.

„Yes! Yes!” a hoarse voice shouted.

The zombie ran over to them. His eyes shined and he happily licked his bloody fingers. He looked at Vincent and pointed at the kidnappers. „Mine! Mine!”

Lex’s chin fell. „Are you kidding, right?! He really evolved after eating so many brains?!”

Ulland and the others were frightened when they heard the zombies, but Lex’s first sentence calmed them down. Yet they fell into hell after hearing the second. They looked at Vincent and wanted to beg more...

„Interesting!” Vincent patted Lex’s shoulder. „Feed him! Then clean up the rest! I need to go back!”

Before anyone could react, he disappeared.

Lex looked into the distance and cursed. „Run! Just run away!”

Egbert patted his back. „Okay, it’s nothing! Calm down! Let’s clean up, and we can go back too.”

„Clean up? We need to bury so many corpses...” Lex looked around and froze. He saw the wolves grabbed the corpses and took them away. „... It’s ’clean up’ too, right?”

Egbert was stupefied, and after a while, he nodded. He hoped because they couldn’t stop them.

The zombie didn’t care about this. He happily walked over to Ulland. „...od... food... food... Mine!”

Ulland couldn’t reach before he lost his life.

The others watched the zombie slowly eating Ulland’s brain. The fear completely paralyzed them. They could only watch and wait for their turn...

Vincent ran at full speed. They spend the whole night following the traces, but he only needed 2 hours to go back. He used up all of his power and chose the shortest way. He didn’t stop until he reached the hospital.

In front of the reception, the nurses looked at him surprisedly. They never saw him in such a sorry appearance.

Vincent’s clothes were ragged and dirty. He couldn’t evade every branch during his run. He didn’t care. It was just some clothes, but if he evaded, it would slow him down. He was in a hurry.

He looked at the nurses, but he was out of breath. He couldn’t say anything.

Queen saw this and jumped out of his hands. She touched the leg of the closest nurse. ’Where is Klaye? Dr. Edward brought him here, right?’

The nurse was shocked and looked at the cat with wide eyes. She felt the pressure from Vincent’s body and come back to her senses. „Yes... He was taken into the 5th emergency room.”

Vincent went there right away, and Queen ran after him. They found it easily, but the door was shut, and the light was still on. They couldn’t do anything.

Vincent looked around but didn’t see Dedra. He guessed he went in too. Vincent couldn’t sit still and walk around. He wanted to help Klaye but didn’t know how. He felt helpless. He couldn’t do anything. He didn’t like this feeling.

Queen sat in front of the door and tried to use her good hearing to capture some words. There were movements inside, but no one spoke. She couldn’t understand it. She saw it on the TV, those doctors always asked for this or that. They why was it so quiet?

One man, one cat, they impatiently sauntered on the corridor. They couldn’t get any information. They hoped there wouldn’t be any problem, but they couldn’t stop thinking about the worst. It was better while they were outside and took care of the kidnappers. At least at that time, they did something, and it made their mind busy. They couldn’t divert their attention now...

More than half an hour passed when the door finally opened.

A tired doctor came out and was frightened by the red-eyed Vincent. He didn’t know how to reach.

„How is Klaye’s condition?” Vincent shook the doctor to wake him up.

„Uh...” the doctor felt pain in his arms, but he didn’t dare to resist. „There isn’t any life threatening injury, but he lost too much blood. He was outside for too long, and his body is too cold. We tried to warm him and treat the frostbites on his body. Before, he was under big stress, and later he got a high fever...” the doctor sighed. „I’m sorry, but we couldn’t save...”

Vincent’s eyes turned fierce. He grabbed the doctor’s neck, and he couldn’t finish his sentence.

„Then follow him!” Vincent gritted his teeth.

Queen’s eyes widened. She couldn’t believe what she heard.

„Klaye is alive! Calm down, Vincent!” Dedra walked out of the room. He calmly wiped his hands. „He’s alive! You didn’t know he was pregnant. But the child was too fragile. We couldn’t save it.”

Vincent let go of the doctor. He was shocked. Klaye was a man, how could he be pregnant?! He couldn’t believe it! But slowly some old memories emerged. There were some gossips about the virus changed the human’s body, but he didn’t pay too much attention to it.

„Pregnant? Is it related to the virus?” he asked with a trembling voice. When he chose to be with Klaye, he never thought about having any child. „How is he?”

„He’s still sleeping.” Dedra saw Vincent wasn’t in the right state and turned back to the room. „Follow me!”

Vincent went in right away, and his eyes fell on Klaye. He walked over and touched his cold fingers. He couldn’t feel any trace of the high fever. He watched his pale face and wanted to kiss him. But he didn’t dare. He didn’t want to interrupt his calm rest. He watched his chest slowly moving up and down, and he calmed down. Klaye was alive!

Dedra watched his face and seeing he calmed down, he patted his shoulder. „Let’s go! They need to move Klaye into a ward. We’re in their way.”

After the reminder, Vincent realized there were two nurses. „Okay. Until Klaye wakes up, you can tell me a lot of things.”

Dedra nodded. „I know.”

They went up to the third floor and moved into a big, private ward. Though Klaye lost a lot of blood and had a miscarriage, his condition wasn’t that bad. He didn’t need special treatment.

The nurses left them alone after they handled everything.

There were a coffee table and two chairs next to the bed. Vincent sat down and listened to Dedra’s report. His impression of men’s pregnancy was too little. But after a while, his eyes stopped on Dedra’s stomach, and couldn’t move.

Dedra tried his best to continue, but couldn’t stand being stared at. „Can’t you concentrate on the things I’m saying?!”

„... Is there really a child?” it wasn’t that Vincent didn’t believe in it, but in his memories, Dedra was a zombie. Could he become pregnant too? If zombies could have children, then wasn’t that bad news?

„... Want me to show you the pictures?”

„No... But aren’t you a zombie?”

Dedra sighed. „Wait here.” He stood up and left without saying anything else.

Vincent looked after him, then went to Klaye’s bed. He sat down next to him and gently rubbed his cold hand. He was sure, the book mentioned the human’s body changes. But he didn’t know if Klaye remembered about it or not. Even if he knew, he disappeared at the beginning of the story, so he couldn’t know if he was the same too. Vincent recalled Klaye’s shining eyes and happy smile... Know it or not, it didn’t matter. With his deep love, Klaye would be extremely happy having his child.

Vincent kissed the cold hand and was deep in thought. He didn’t know how to tell him the truth.

After 15 minutes, Dedra came back. He held some documents in his hands and put them on the table.

Vincent went to read them. The first one was about Dedra’s pregnancy, and it was followed by 3 more. They just found out about the body’s change yesterday, yet they already found 4 pregnant men. The doctors’ speed was fast.

Vincent wanted to read the last document, but his hand stopped. He knew its content. It was the document about the ’Perfect human’ project what created the virus. He didn’t understand why it was there too.

„You want to know what I am, aren’t you?” Dedra looked into Vincent’s shocked eyes. „You read it and know better than anyone else about this research. I don’t think I need to say more...”

44