239. Young Rebel II
81 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hyun's footsteps quicken as he traverses the deserted beach, his mind racing with possibilities and dangers lurking in the shadows. He pauses for a moment, glancing over his shoulder at the vast expanse of ocean stretching out before him. Then, with a determined set to his jaw, he turns back to Cube AI.

"Cube, what are the chances sis will snitch on me?" he asks, his voice low with concern.

Cube AI processes the query swiftly, her computational algorithms whirring in the background. After a brief moment, it responds, "Based on current data and behavioral patterns, there's roughly a 17% chance she will snitch on you. However, it's more likely that Evandel will personally chase and apprehend you to avoid causing trouble with the Council or your uncle Jonghak."

“Even if she knows that I’ve come here to kill someone?”

“No,” Cube AI promptly responds. “There are 89% chance she will request assistance if she has gleaned your intentions.”

Hyun nods grimly, absorbing the information. He knows his sister well enough to understand her motivations, even if he wishes she would stand by him this time. With a heavy heart, he acknowledges the inevitability of their impending confrontation.

This means Hyun must do this fast.

"How much time do I have before they realize I'm missing?" Hyun asks, his voice tinged with urgency.

Cube AI processes the data once more before responding, "Given the hologram decoys you've left behind, they may buy you one to two weeks before someone notices your absence… at least, before your sister reveals your lies."

Hyun exhales a shaky breath, the weight of his predicament settling heavily on his shoulders. He knows he's running out of time, and every moment wasted brings him closer to the brink of discovery. But he's determined to see his plan through, no matter the cost.

"Alright, Cube," he says, his voice resolute. "Let's keep moving…”

Before going, Hyun gets rid of his vehicle by pushing it into the ocean with little effort. Hyun decides to travel light, and carrying his personal spatial storage helps him a great deal.

Hyun is aware that the Council has made investigations of the version of Kim Hajin on this particular Earth, but Hyun is unconvinced. One thing that the Council has not accounted for is the ‘Stigma’, a special weapon unique to Kim Hajin.

The other (selective few) Kim Hajins from different timelines who have evacuated on Cube also have Stigma, but their Stigma is flawed. The Stigma of the other Kim Hajins functions differently and is purely made of magic power.

However, the Stigma of Kim Hajin who killed Hyun’s dad has a different nature— it possesses the power of creation. Hyun has little information about it, and even Cube AI is not outfitted to study it. If Hyun wants to learn more about the authority and power of creation, he will need to go to the Transcendent Plane, but he is unqualified.

The Council is unable to discover the clues Hyun did because Kim Hajin has successfully created a smokescreen. Hyun’s theory is that after Kim Hajin kills his dad, Kim Hajin escapes to the Transcendent Plane, wipes his memories, and then escapes to Planet Earth.

Why is Hyun so convinced that the Kim Hajin he has marked is deserving to be killed?

Maybe it is youthful ignorance or just plain blindness for the sake of vengeance.

Consulting his GPS, Hyun arrives at the apartment where Kim Hajin must be resting. The urge to attack now is strong, but he restrains himself. He knows he needs to make preparations. "Cube, what's the situation?" he asks, his voice tense.

Cube responds informatively, "There are several traps and security measures littered around the apartment. It seems whoever is living here isn't taking any chances. I commend their vigilance."

Hyun nods, taking in the information. "Can you disable them?"

"Most of them, yes. But I advise caution. There might be some that are too sophisticated for me to handle remotely."

Hyun clenches his fists, feeling the weight of his mission pressing down on him. "Alright, disable what you can. I'll handle the rest."

“Are you going to make a move now?” Cube doesn’t know if it is wise.

“It will be fine,” Hyun is stubborn, “I’ve been spying on their schedule. Today, Kim Hajin is alone. His live-in partner is currently abroad and having a girl’s night with her friends…”

With Cube's assistance, Hyun carefully navigates through the traps, disabling or avoiding them with caution. As he approaches the apartment door, he can feel his heart pounding in his chest. This is it—the moment he's been waiting for.

He takes a deep breath, steadying himself before pushing open the door. Inside, the apartment is dimly lit, casting long shadows across the room. Hyun's eyes scan the area, searching for any sign of movement.

"Cube, do you detect anyone inside?" he whispers, his voice barely audible.

"Negative," Cube responds. "But be cautious. They could be hiding or have some form of cloaking device…. Though it is most likely they are asleep."

Hyun nods, his senses on high alert as he cautiously moves further into the apartment. Every creak of the floorboards sends a shiver down his spine, but he pushes forward, determined to see his mission through to the end.

As he reaches the center of the room, he freezes, his eyes widening in shock. There, standing before him, is Kim Hajin—the man he wishes to hunt today. His fists clench at his sides as he prepares to confront his father's killer, his mind consumed by thoughts of revenge.

Kim Hajin is typing on his laptop when he notices Hyun. "A kid? How did you get in here? I remember locking the door."

Hyun's jaw tightens as he glares at Kim Hajin, his fists clenched at his sides. "It doesn't matter how I got in. What matters is that I'm here to make you pay for what you did to my father."

Kim Hajin raises an eyebrow, and his expression is unreadable. "Your father? I'm afraid you have the wrong person. I don't know who you are talking about."

"Don't play dumb with me!" Hyun's voice rises with anger. "You killed him, and now it's time for you to face the consequences."

Kim Hajin sighs, shaking his head. "What the hell? Whose kid are you? Are you a new neighbor?" As Hajin sips on his cup of coffee, he proceeds to scan his laptop’s screen fully consumed by his work. “Listen, kid… I am busy. I need to submit my drafts tomorrow and do some stuff. My wife is most likely pregnant, so I have to work harder, you know? If you are catching stag beetles because it is full moon, then bad luck… It is a myth that stag beetles come out in full moon…”

The Kim Hajin in front of Hyun looks ridiculous— he has thin stubble from his chin, thick eye bags, and he seems overworked. Is this the legendary Black Lotus? Is this the same guy who killed his father?

Hyun's nostrils flare as he takes another step closer, his eyes blazing with fury. "I don't care what you say. You took everything from me, and now it's time for you to pay the price."

Before Kim Hajin can respond, Hyun launches himself forward, his fists flying as he unleashes a barrage of attacks— a left jab at the throat, a right hook to the temple, and more. Kim Hajin defends himself while remaining on his chair, his movements swift and precise as he deflects each blow with ease.

"Stop this, kid!" Kim Hajin's voice is firm but tinged with annoyance. "What the hell? Are you crazy?"

But Hyun is beyond reasoning, consumed by his desire for revenge. He continues to attack relentlessly, his mind clouded by hatred and grief. He is most likely pissed that Kim Hajin is not taking him seriously.

As the fight rages on, Hyun's vision blurs with tears. But he pushes forward, fueled by the memory of his father's face from pictures and the need for justice.

“And why are you crying?” In the end, Kim Hajin runs away from the crazy kid totally flabbergasted by the development of events. Hajin doesn't want to accidentally hurt the kid or anything. “W-wait… What’s that?”

At this point, Hyun has summoned a pair of sleek revolvers from his spatial storage and begins unloading his bullets at Kim Hajin. “Die! Die! Die!”

“Oh shi—” Hajin is speechless.

8