241. Scheming From Behind
120 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jonghak thinks to himself that it's good that Kim Hajin doesn’t see the 'Shin Jonghak' he knows in him.

Jonghak believes that his temperament has changed over the years, which may be why Hajin doesn't recognize him. Jonghak responds to Hajin's suspicion with a steely voice, "I apologize for the inconvenience. I'm a busy man, so it would be nice if you could make things easier for me."

Hajin narrows his eyes and expresses his distrust towards Jonghak. "I don't trust you, old man. Not after what your nephew just tried to pull."

If only he had his Observation Gift like how he used to have, he’d know that the Shin Jonghak in front of him was not just some problematic old man. Since the epilogue of his story, Hajin has lost some of his abilities, though in exchange he can stay in this world and even go so far as to improve his current abilities.

Jonghak's smile falters slightly, but he maintains his composure. "I understand your apprehension, but Hyun is just a kid who sometimes acts impulsively. I assure you, I'll handle the situation from here."

Looking at Hyun who is sneakily going by the window, Jonghak immediately knows that the youth is more than ready to cause more trouble.

Hyun, sensing the tension between the two men, shifts uncomfortably. "Uncle Jonghak, I told you—"

Jonghak cuts him off with a stern look. "Hyun, enough. Let's go. Your sister is worried sick about you."

Kim Hajin steps forward, blocking the door. "I can't let you take him away, not until we've sorted this out. Hyun's accusations against me are serious, and I won't let them go unanswered."

Hyun glances nervously between Kim Hajin and Jonghak, so sure of what is going to happen next. "Uncle, what should we do?" He feigns ignorance, but Jonghak knows what the kid is thinking.

The devilish brat is hoping he and Hajin fight— and if they do fight, it won’t certainly be pretty.

Jonghak sighs, running a hand through his hair. "I understand."

“What is it that you understand?” Hajin feels something is about to happen, he mentally orders Aether to be prepared. “If you try anything, know that I will fight back.”

Jonghak slyly smiles, his eyes gleaming with a hint of mischief as he observes the tension between Hyun and Kim Hajin. "What I understand, Kim Hajin, is that you're not going to make this easy for me. And I respect that." He pauses as his tone turns more serious. "But I've decided something. I'm going to leave Hyun to you."

Hyun, standing at the side, wears a look of confusion, realizing that his scheming hasn't gone unnoticed. He feels a pang of guilt, knowing that his uncle has seen through his intentions. But more than that is his disappointment.

Kim Hajin's expression shifts, registering surprise at Jonghak's unexpected decision. "You're leaving him with me?" he asks, skepticism still evident in his voice.

Of course, Hajin will be suspicious. In his perspective, he must be a ‘stranger’ to Jonghak, but it is as if Jonghak knows him in the same capacity the kid is so sure who Hajin is.

Jonghak nods, his smile softening slightly. "Yes. I trust that you'll handle this matter fairly. And besides," he adds with a chuckle, "I could use a break from dealing with this troublemaker."

Hyun shoots his uncle a betrayed look, but Jonghak ignores it, focusing on Kim Hajin instead. "Take care of him, Kim Hajin. He's not as bad as he seems. He is an excellent shooter too, he can use a teacher like you."

Kim Hajin regards Jonghak with a mix of surprise and suspicion, but eventually nods in agreement. "Fine. But I have to know the full story."

"You don't have to, and I won't tell you," replies Jonghak, his tone firm yet cryptic.

Kim Hajin narrows his eyes, clearly not satisfied with the vague response. "I need to know what's going on if I'm going to ‘shelter’ this clearly misguided kid."

Jonghak sighs, understanding the necessity of transparency, yet reluctant to divulge too much. "Let's just say that there are... complications within our family. Hyun got caught up in something he shouldn't have, but he's not entirely to blame."

Hyun shifts uncomfortably, feeling the weight of his actions bearing down on him as the adults discuss his fate. But truthfully, he doesn’t think his father’s death can be considered ‘complications’ within the family. It has been a long time since his father was killed, and Hyun is only acting as a responsible son by enacting vengeance on his father’s killer.

Kim Hajin studies Jonghak carefully, trying to gauge the sincerity behind the old man’s words. "And you trust me to handle this?"

Jonghak remarks with finality. “No, I don’t trust you. But you don’t have a choice. You will handle this whether you like to or not.”

So suddenly, Jonghak flickers and reappears before Hajin. With equally quick movement, Hajin summons a gun from nowhere and uses Aether to transform it into a shotgun.

Kim Hajin's eyes widen at the sudden shift in the situation, his grip on the shotgun firm and ready. "What are you playing at, old man?" he demands, his voice laced with caution.

Jonghak holds up his hands in a placating gesture, and his expression is calm despite the tension crackling in the air. "Easy there, Hajin. I'm not here to cause trouble. I just want what's best for Hyun."

With a sly gesture, Jonghak slaps the shotgun’s barrel from Kim Hajin's grip. With one explosive burst, the old man outmaneuvers Hajin and executes a shoulder throw. The concrete floor cracks slightly under the impact. Hajin groans from the pain, but he endures it as he rises up as quickly as he fell, but Jonghak is already gone.

Hajin waits for any sneak attack, but it doesn't come. Jonghak has escaped through the door, leaving the problematic kid, Hyun, behind with him. Gritting his teeth, Hajin surveys the room, his senses heightened and on edge.

Hyun stands awkwardly, his eyes darting between the door Jonghak disappeared through and Kim Hajin. "What... what just happened?" he stammers, his bravado crumbling in the face of the unexpected confrontation. “That was awesome…” Though his true thoughts are leaking out with admiration, he is nonetheless shaken. To think the human body can reach such speeds is incredible.

Kim Hajin's jaw clenches as he takes in the situation. He knows Jonghak isn't just some ordinary old man. There's something more to him, something dangerous. And now he's left alone to deal with Hyun, who seems to have a knack for trouble.

Pushing aside the pain from the throw, Kim Hajin straightens up, his gaze fixed on Hyun. "Looks like you're stuck with me for now," he says, his voice firm but tinged with wariness. "But don't think for a second that I'm going to go easy on you, kid."

Hyun swallows nervously, realizing the gravity of the situation. He may have underestimated Kim Hajin, but he's not about to back down now. "I won't make things easy for you either," he retorts, trying to muster up some semblance of defiance.

…………

………

……

.

As Jonghak steps into the dimly lit alley, he breathes a sigh of relief. He knows he's left Hyon Hyun in capable hands, albeit reluctant ones. Quickly, he reaches for his smartwatch, fingers dancing over the screen as he sends a request to Cube City for transport. Within moments, the familiar tingling sensation envelops him, and he finds himself standing within the confines of the lunar base.

“Welp, I tried my best.”

His heart still racing from the encounter, Jonghak takes a moment to compose himself. He glances around, taking in the bustling activity of Cube City.

But even here, among the advanced technology and bustling crowds, Jonghak knows he can't let his guard down. Kim Hajin may be a formidable opponent, but he's not the only one Jonghak has to worry about. The situation with Hyun is far from resolved, and Jonghak knows he'll have to tread carefully if he wants to keep the family safe.

“So how did it go?” asks Yoo Yeonha arriving in a car, the same car that Jonghak owns.

Jonghak plays with his goatee, a slight grin playing on his lips as he replies, "I didn't do so bad. Left Hyun with Kim Hajin, just like you instructed."

Yoo Yeonha's expression shifts, a mixture of curiosity and concern flickering in her eyes as she steps closer. "And how did Kim Hajin react?"

"He wasn't thrilled, to say the least," Jonghak admits, his tone tinged with amusement. "But he didn't put up too much of a fight. Seems he's got his hands full with our troublemaker."

Yoo Yeonha nods thoughtfully, her gaze drifting to the bustling activity around them. "Good. Hopefully, he can keep Hyun in line for a while."

Jonghak nods in agreement, but a flicker of worry crosses his features. "I just hope we made the right choice leaving him there. Kim Hajin might not be too happy about it, but I agree he's the best option we've got right now."

Yoo Yeonha places a reassuring hand on Jonghak's shoulder. "We'll keep an eye on things. If anything goes south, we'll intervene. But for now, we have to trust Kim Hajin to handle it… The Council will be most likely angry for what happened though."

Jonghak exhales slowly, the tension easing from his shoulders. "You're right," he concedes, glancing at Yeonha with gratitude. "Thanks for always having my back. Now what’s next?"

Yoo Yeonha offers him a small smile. "We’ll wait for the Council’s response, and when they call you in, you will tell them to fuck off…”

7