243. Retirement II
100 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yoo Yeonha stands by the park, her gaze drifting across the serene landscape, while lost in thought. Suddenly, her attention is drawn to the sight of a blonde girl with striking blue eyes riding a majestic wolf. It's Evandel— although Yeonha already knows Hyung and Rachel have revived the seed from Jonghak’s story, it still unconsciously makes Yeonha feel sadness all over her as she looks at Evandel.

Evandel looks exactly like Rachel… and it pains Yeonha. Though Yeonha back then was young, there was a time when Yeonha considered Evandel her daughter. Yeonha pushes her negative thoughts away using her newly gained psychic powers to quicken the process of mental equilibrium.

One of the boons of being devilized apparently is Yeonha being able to perform a few more tricks under her sleeves. Being drenched in Lilith’s influence has transformed her in many ways she cannot imagine.

With a wave of her hand, Yeonha calls out to Evandel, who gracefully dismounts from the wolf and approaches with a serene smile. "Evandel, it's good to see you," Yeonha greets warmly.

Evandel returns the smile, her eyes sparkling with curiosity. "Likewise, Aunt Yeonha. What brings you here today?"

Before Yeonha can respond, Jonghak appears, walking towards them with a relaxed smile on his face. His gruff exterior draws the attention of both women. It seems the meeting has not gone as perfectly as Yeonha likes to imagine.

"Ah, there you are," Jonghak says, his voice filled with warmth. "I hope I didn't keep you guys waiting."

Yeonha shakes her head, a grin playing on her lips. "Not at all. I was just catching up with Evandel here."

Jonghak nods in acknowledgment, turning his attention to Evandel. "It's been a while… so you finally met your aunt, Evandel.

Evandel's smile widens, and she gestures towards the wolf beside her. "Oh, you know, just running around… So how did it go, uncle? Did you get Hyun?"

Jonghak looks apologetic. "I didn’t, but the Council should be able to handle it…”

“Huh?” Evandel shows a look of confusion. “Why will the Council handle it? Uncle, there is a reason why I called you instead of them, and that was the same reason why I only sent the tracked data of Hyun to you… The Council will surely put my brother on house arrest and restrict his freedom after they get him.”

“Don’t worry, he is in capable hands.” Jonghak grabs Yeonha by her waist and urges his magic power. “Go now, Evandel. The adults need to talk.” With power and refined control, Jonghak summons dark flames from his back and transforms them into dark angelic wings. Jonghak flies with incredible speed and lands on a rooftop overlooking Cube City.

The City certainly looks futuristic and over-the-top amazing, but Yeonha doesn’t have the luxury to enjoy such a view. Yeonha steps forward as her expression turns serious. "Jonghak, how did it go? If the Council looks desperate enough to keep you in, then we’ll have a problem."

Jonghak nods, his demeanor becoming more contemplative as he unfurls his blazing wings. "No, it will be fine. We are not going to have a problem with the Council’s side of things. Hosup seems suspicious of me though… The thing I am worried about is leaving Hyun to the Kim Hajin of New Earth.”

Yeonha looks at him with concern. "It's a risky endeavor, especially with the current state of affairs but it should be fine. If Hyun is right and that this Kim Hajin has erased his memories and is the same person who killed Hyung, then Hyun is in the safest place he can be."

Jonghak's smile softens, "I don’t understand the logic, so you have to explain better."

Yeonha gazes into Jonghak's eyes, seeing the determination and resolve reflected there. "The Devil Slaying," she says finally, giving extra effort to explain it. "I only just woke recently… It cannot be a coincidence. He killed the Devil of Lust, which I am sure of. But how? Unfortunately, I don’t know. That is what we are going to find out by going to the Transcendent Plane. I studied every material available concerning the recent Great Devil War— I have grounds to believe that there were multiple fronts to that war— one on New Earth, and another we don’t see…"

When Sinful was formed, one of the intents of the organization was to save Yeonha from her devilization from Lilith’s Devil’s Seed by killing the Devil’s True Body from the Transcendent Plane. Because of some series of events, Kim Hajin has been led by a criminal called Yi Yeonjun and dragged to the Transcendent Plane prematurely—

In the duration that Hajin has been traveling the Transcendent Plane, something happened that leads him to kill Hyon Hyung… and slowly, but surely, it leads to one thing and another like killing the Devil Lilith finally, which as a result wakes Yeonha from her forced devilized sleep.

It sounds so far-fetched, but it makes sense to Yeonha. While she has been described as very imaginative, Yeonha has a knack for not being so far from the truth when deducing some things… so it is fine even if she misunderstands things early at this point. As they investigate, and learn more things on the way, they should be able to complete the puzzle one at a time and raise their understanding progressively.

Jonghak adds with worry, "I just want to let you know. The Kim Hajin down on New Earth is at least semi-transcendent. If he has an authority, that makes him a transcendent. And if he has mastered his authority, then we’ll have a 'full transcendent' in our midst. If that is the case, I won’t be able to save Hyun… not to mention Cube City. I'll be able to go toe to toe, but protecting something? A full transcendent can easily obliterate a mountain, and with more effort and the right tools, they can vanish something like the moon just as easily.”

Yeonha listens intently to Jonghak's concerns, her brow furrowing with worry. "It is certainly scary," she admits, her voice tinged with apprehension. "But Hajin won't do any of that... This Kim Hajin is more 'humane' than the Hajin who murdered Hyon Hyung. This Kim Hajin has a 'wife' he dearly loves. A man like that has too much to lose if he goes 'full villain' on us."

Jonghak nods in agreement, though his expression remains troubled. "You're right, Yeonha. We have to believe in the goodness within him. After all, he has proven himself capable of making difficult choices for the greater good before."

Yeonha places a reassuring hand on Jonghak's shoulder. "Exactly. We have to trust that he will continue to make those choices, especially if it means protecting those he cares about. The Kim Hajin of this iteration is especially convincing on that front."

They both fall into a moment of silence, contemplating the uncertainties of their situation. Yeonha's mind races with thoughts of what lies ahead, but she knows that they must stay focused and determined to uncover the truth behind the recent events.

"What about the Council retrieving Hyun then?" Jonghak asks, his voice laced with concern. "If they come to blows, someone will die."

Yeonha nods solemnly, understanding Jonghak's worries. "It is a risky endeavor," she admits, "but it is worth the risk. Even if just to expose Kim Hajin slowly and ease him into the existence of Sinful, Cube City, the Transcendent Plane, and everything."

Jonghak shakes his head, his expression troubled. "It's reckless," he remarks, and his tone heavy with uncertainty.

"I know," Yeonha agrees softly, her gaze steady. "But sometimes, taking risks is the only way to uncover the truth and protect what matters most." She pauses, her mind racing with possibilities. "We just have to trust that we're doing the right thing and that it will all work out in the end."

It is wishful thinking, and Yeonha hates it, but there is nothing wrong with it… Hyon Hyung must have felt the same when he created Sinful and forcefully pushed for the idea of killing the Devil to free Yeonha and the world from their imminent demise.

"So… How are we going to get to the Transcendent Plane?" Yeonha asks, her brow furrowed with curiosity.

Jonghak smiles reassuringly, "We'll need to use DP, the unique currency of the Transcendent Plane." With a flick of his wrist, he sends a substantial amount of DP to Yeonha's account. “To celebrate my retirement, enjoy billions of DP on my behalf! It has many names from different races, Devils, Eldritch, and Dark Creatures call it Dark Points, while the God Races call it Divinity Points.”

Though Yeonha doesn’t know what the economy of the Transcendent Plane is like, she knows what a Dark Point is… It is something that has been opened to New Earth for some time already, a precursor to the Great Devil War. It is another detail worth noting since DP isn’t supposed to exist in New Earth, yet here it is.

From the other timelines, only a very small number has heard of DP, and they are so rare that witness reports of them can be counted on ten fingers— every witness is all Djinns in particular. The details that have to be noted are that the usage of DP shouldn’t happen on Earth as in never like in other timelines… The few characters who have heard of DP only learn of its existence from their Devil Patrons.

Suddenly, a system interface materializes in front of Yeonha, prompting her attention. Jonghak gestures towards it, "Now, buy the Transcendent Ticket from the System Shop. Normally, you would have to buy it from a Dokaebi Merchant, but Cube City has paid a Dokaebi to set up a virtual System Shop in the City, and help the Council to hide itself from the world."

Yeonha follows his instructions, navigating through the interface until she finds the ticket. It appears as a golden ticket with three S engraved on its surface.

After she acquires the ticket, Jonghak demonstrates how to use it. “See you on the other side.” He tears off his own ticket, and before Yeonha's eyes, he is transformed into rays of golden light, vanishing at a molecular rate.

Yeonha watches in awe, realizing that this is it… She similarly rips off her ticket and vanishes in golden light. It is weird but she suddenly thinks of Hyung making an inappropriate joke, maybe something like— do you enjoy the golden shower, Yeonha?

Sigh…

Yoo Yeonha shortly realizes she has no talent on comedy.

5