1. Welcome to Cube I
10.7k 36 204
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hero Association’s Agent Military Academy Seoul Branch Graduation, Class of 2024, Rank 1 Cadet, Kim Suho.”

I am in a daze. By mixing with the crowd, I remain invisible like a background character of the sort. I feel a sense of déjà vu as I take a gander at my surroundings. "Where am I?" The question comes naturally to mind. There are people surrounding me. A lot of them. I seem to be standing among the crowd here in the bleachers overseeing the awarding ceremony of the top-ranking cadets of the Agent Military Academy. "I know this place..."

My brain makes quick work and analyzes the situation.

I am inside the novel. The conclusion presents itself to me in the picture-perfect form of the award ceremony.  I know this particular event. This is where the 'story' officially begins.

After reading 'The Novel's Extra' by Jee Gab Song, and its manhwa adaptation, and reading again the novel, I suddenly arrived at this peculiar situation where the story I have been reading for some time is now unfolding in front of my very eyes.

Inside the huge auditorium accommodating more than 3000 cadets and thousands of spectators, the center of attention is converging to the Rank 1 Cadet, and the titular protagonist of Returnee Hero whose very existence has been to serve the greater purpose. Their eyes turn to one person— Kim Suho.

As the protagonist walks up to the stage, I notice his stiffened face with a tinge of nervousness. He tries to hide it, but his sweating is a clear tell-tale of his state of mind. However, such nervousness is only normal in Kim Suho’s character.

His handsome looks earn a few exclamations from several women who watch him with adoration.

“He is Kim Suho? Oh my gosh~”

“He is so handsome, right?”

And of course, his fortune has become a source of envy for others when it is not luck that brings him to the position of Rank 1 Cadet.

“He completely has lucked out of his gift. What a bastard.”

“Yeah, Sword Saint Gift from what I hear. Totally broken. That Kim Suho guy…”

At first glance, I can tell that Kim Suho is the protagonist without even knowing the true 'story' which makes me feel special. It is just a feeling though as I am not delusional... Kim Suho is a Hero, and that is it! But Kim Suho is not the only 'Hero' or 'Protagonist' of the story.

Contrary to common belief, Kim Suho is not the main character that I am looking for. I look around, trying to find Extra-nim AKA ‘Kim Hajin’ who is a special kind of main character. but clearly, it will be quite an insurmountable task considering that there are just too many people.

Moreover, the person I am trying to find must be suffering the same confusion as I am.

“Sigh… I hope I am just dreaming…” I complain in my mind while I pinch my cheeks.

The pain makes me feel safe.

Alas, there is no scientific proof that pinching will wake up a person from his dream. Maybe if it is an external stimulus, it will work. I pray that my bitchy elder sister kicks me or something.

I internally study my situation.

The novel ‘The Novel’s Extra’ is about Kim Hajin, the author of The Returnee Hero who transmigrates to his own novel. After receiving an email requesting the novel’s remake, he suddenly finds himself in his own novel by the same title. He ends up helping the titular protagonist, ‘Kim Suho’ and together, they save the world from destruction. This is the plot of The Novel’s Extra… which from my perspective is very trippy, especially considering my circumstance.

To surmise, it has become like this…

The Returnee Hero by Kim Hajin— the protagonist is Kim Suho.

The Novel’s Extra by Jee Gab Song— the protagonist is Kim Hajin.

Now, I share a similar but slightly different experience with the author. I can still recall answering a particular online survey asking me what is my favorite novel. After answering ‘The Novel’s Extra’, and providing the reasons why… I then fall into a daze, and the next thing I know is that I am now in this situation.

“Hey,” I impolitely call to the woman beside me who is wearing shades. “May I borrow your sunglasses?” I pointly request of her.

I think she must be a weird person wearing shades inside the auditorium, but never mind, the important thing is my request.

“We call dibs on that kid so don’t touch—” I overhear her talking, immediately recognizing who she is as she turns her face to me. Even while wearing sunglasses, her looks are quite memorable as I recall her physical features from the manhwa.

Yun Seung-Ah, an important assistant to Kim Suho in the future is now sitting beside me. I frown trying to recollect fragments of information from my reading of the novel and manhwa. Hmmm... Isn't she supposed to be in a VIP room? Perhaps I am remembering it wrongly, but the novel and manhwa have different story progression.

For example, Hajin receives his laptop after the gun in the timeline of the novel, meanwhile, he receives the laptop first before the gun in Manhwa. I don't which is which, but the differences from what I remember might stem from the differences between novel and manhwa.

I reason that Yun Seung-Ah must be here in the bleachers because of the policy that Cube Cadets cannot be recruited before they graduate from Cube. It is reasonable for the Agent Military Academy to have something similar to this policy to a great extent seeded cadets such as Kim Suho are special, and thus, the competition between guilds can only be intense.

Yun Seung-Ah. From what I understand, she has an important role in The Returnee Hero novel which I will not know anything about since the only story I know is The Novel's Extra. At the very least, I do know Yun Seung-Ah will become Kim Suho's love interest.

"Hey, give me your sunglasses." I rudely remark. I have a one-sided beef with this woman... 

“Eh?” Yun Seung-Ah looks at me with annoyance, her shades tilting a bit, showing her raised eyebrow. “What a rude brat… In my time, kids know respect…”

“Sorry,” I mutter a lackluster apology and yank her sunglasses with a steady non-hostile speed. I am desperately curious about how I look. “Not bad,” I comment unintentionally as I gaze upon my reflection which is now five years younger.

I draw positive energy from learning this silver lining. It is not so bad considering that the heroes of the novel will gradually resolve the conflicts and problems of the world. The eventual end of the world will come to pass and I will survive from behind the scenes.

Dreaming of a beautiful future swimming with wealth from stocks, I feel that I might be able to turn my situation around.

Breaking me off from my fantasies is Yun Seung-Ah’s resentful voice. “Such a narcissist… Disgusting…” She takes away the shades that I have been using as a mirror.

I cannot blame her for misunderstanding.

Anyway, for some reason, I don't like her... No. I will be real here. I am kind of jealous of this senior who is almost ten years older than Kim Suho. Even to this day despite being in this world now, I still cannot imagine how is it possible for the ship of Kim Suho and Yun Seung-Ah to sail.

“I apologize, I actually am suffering from short-mild-amnesia and forgot how I look. I thought I should be five years older by now.” I seriously and politely apologize to her.

“O-ok…” She reluctantly accepts my apology.

I return my attention to the stage. I grab the cup of soft drinks beside me thinking that it is mine. I feel very nervous, and I need some sugar.

“Hey, that’s mine! You freaking thief!” Yun Seung-Ah angrily scolds me.

That is when… As I am about to maturely apologize to her... That is when…

“Class of 2024, Rank 2 Cadet, Chae Nayun.”

I spit my drink on Yun Seung-Ah’s face. It is not like I purposefully angle my mouth at her. It is totally an accident. My own face crumples and my stomach churns. Thankfully, I have nothing to vomit. The thought of Chae Nayun being Rank 2 Cadet here sends me into a downward spiral of scary implications.

The spectators stir as Kim Suho and Chae Nayun stand side by side together. The young girl with her long brown hair smiles at the cheering of the crowd. She charismatically raises her fist and spiritedly shouts ‘fighting’, and her gaze seems to be looking at… me.

No. Not at me.

I look behind me… only to see Kim Hajin frowning at the change of situation. His black hair, dull looks, and clueless expression are just like how I remember it. Chapter Zero— The Prologue— The Story Within the Novel. This is weird.

The Kim Hajin I see turns into a dark shadow. I feel my heart thumping from the scare. It appears that only I can see the mysterious phenomena. This person can only be Kim Hajin!

Except it is not exactly Kim Hajin I am seeing, but his current identity— Kim Chundong's face which comes into a sudden haze. The once black hair becomes brown, and with a prick on my mind, the face then becomes a Question Mark.

I unknowingly gulp.

The nature of Kim Hajin's transmigration is about usurping another person's existence, and I am witnessing it happen in real-time.

My eyes return to Chae Nayun as I ignore Kim Hajin's peculiarity.

The development of the story is just crazy... and too different from my expectations. It seems that Kim Hajin shares my sentiments as he numbly looks at the stage. Just what in the world is Chae Nayun doing there? Isn't it supposed to be Shin Jonghak, the rival of Kim Suho, who is the Rank 2 cadet?

Moreover, what the hell is that? Why can I see Hajin's real face though only in just a short moment this early?

And.

What is one of the novel's heroines doing there? Chae Nayun being a Rank 2 Cadet doesn't make any sense.

I try my best to calm my inner turmoil from the change of scenario. I cannot tell what the problem is. I try recalling the novel. And it hits… me…

“She must have used it.” I start pulling my hair at the revelation.

The ending of The Novel’s Extra is bittersweet, but a lot of readers feel strong regrets for how it ended. The failure of the romance between Chae Nayun and Kim Hajin is one of the few sad conclusions of the novel.

Because of the open-ended ending, plenty of readers diss how the story has become too much of a letdown. However, plenty of devoted readers praise the novel too, emphasizing that it has been a great journey nonetheless.

The topic of intense discussion particularly focuses on Chae Nayun’s completion of the Tower of Miracles. As a reward for conquering the Tower of Miracles, Cha Nayun receives the [Miracle Stone] which possesses the power of regression. 

To turn back time, and return to the past... this is regression...

By using the [Miracle Stone], Chae Nayun can return to the past at a certain point in time and change history like a second chance in life… which is just outright miraculous and ultimately the stuff of legends.

People will kill for a second chance.

The problem is… using the [Miracle Stone] means letting Baal, the Demon King, to our world, thus spelling world destruction. I realize I am not even in Returnee Hero by Kim Hajin or The Novel’s Extra by Jee Gab Song. I am totally in another world entirely.

I feel my stomach churning once more. What does Chae Nayun being here mean?

In the future, Baal will descend to this world. That means ‘one’ Baal. I don’t know if I am over-exaggerating things or am just unhealthily overthinking, but…

Doesn’t Chae Nayun using the [Miracle Stone] means a ‘second’ Baal?

So, wait… In the future, the world has to confront two Demon King Baals, AKA double the Final Bosses.

“Baal my balls…” I feel mortified.

204