Chapter 4 – Evangeline McDowell
1.3k 4 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Evangeline....Mcdowell?" Rickert said, finding the name familiar too. 

"You now know me?" Evangeline asked. 

"Vampire... darkness, ice mage.... Mahora Academy... UQ Holder..." Rickert mumbled, holding his head. 

Evangeline was shocked. He did know of her. But she didn't know what UQ Holder is. But that would have been the name of an organization of immortals that she intended to build in the future. How could that be?

She looked at him as he seemed to be rambling randomly, and his eyes were unfocused, staring at everything but yet at nothing in particular. 

"Have you been possessed?" she asked, looking at him curiously and getting him to sit down again. 

"No... I .... I have the memories of 3 people's lives!" he said, holding his head as he tried to understand what is going on in his memories. 

*BOOM* came a loud sound from outside. 

"It's still night! We still have visitors" Rickert said, looking at the bleeding brand on the back of his hand. 

Frowning, Evangeline followed Rickert out and watched as more and more evil spirits attacked the base. 

Rickert immediately sprang to action and it seemed as if once he got into battle, his head aches seemed to subside and his mind achieved clarity of thought. 

Evangeline watched quietly, not offering any help as this young warrior impressively faced the many monsters alone. 

By the time morning came, the attacks stopped and Rickert finally rested. 

She simply watched him quietly, silently admiring the mechanical skills and martial skills of this blonde boy. 

"Let's talk" she said, getting up and making coffee in the kitchen. 

She sat Rickert down and started prodding him, finding what was going on. 

After clarifying many issues from his incoherent rambling, Evangeline started to understand what was going on. 

This poor boy had 3 personalities. Some omniscient being who seemed to have information of this world and hers, Rickert of this world, who is hunted by evil creatures and monsters every night and is trying to resurrect his lover named Erica, and Edward Elric an incredible alchemist and martial artist. 

Of the three, Evangeline took particular note of the first personality's memories. As he was omniscient, he might very well have been a god, so it was perhaps a good idea to try and help him. 

"You poor boy. No wonder you're going mad." she said as she hugged his head. 

Before long, she found that he was sleeping. 

This was the first time he was not on edge and managed to fall asleep in a few weeks. 

When he woke up, he found that he was in his bed and Evangeline was lying next to him.

She woke up with a smile and said "Let me help you focus. That would make thinking much easier"

He nodded and she started teaching him a method to stay focused with certain matras and breathing technique. 

Rickert obeyed her as he somehow trusted this pretty blonde girl. Although she wasn't... he forgot her name again... but he somehow trusted Evangeline. 

Over the next few nights, she joined in the fight against the monsters that came night after night. 

She possessed incredible fighting skills herself, and her body seemed to be able to instantly heal from any damage. 

This made Rickert's nights easier as he didn't have to fight throughout the night by himself, the way Guts did. 

Finally, on the third night, another apostle attacked. 

This time, it was a flying creature that looked like a giant praying mantis. 

Again Rickert baited the creature into the middle of his trap. But he couldn't get the apostle to the ground, and even if he did, a flying apostle could easily get out of his ground based trap. 

Suddenly, an ice pillar appeared, surrounding and trapping the apostle in the ice. 

"That would work, right?" Evangeline asked, admitting that she cast the ice pillar. 

"Yes.. uh... thanks" Rickert smiled as he approached the ice pillar. 

The apostle was obviously still alive, but it was completely immobilized, unable to move even a muscle. 

Looking at the pillar, Rickert placed both hands on the ground and started the spell.

The apostle and the ice pillar started disintegrating and disappearing.

Rickert started the spell of exchanging the life of the apostle for the life of his loved one.

But suddenly again, he couldn't remember her!

"Remember her! Remember what she looks like, remember her face!" Evangeline yelled, knowing a thing or two about spells herself. 

"Right, right.. She's blonde.. She's small... she's pretty... uh..." he muttered, trying to remember her. 

"She.. uh.. has a cheerful smile... even in the face of danger...she smiles" he said, not even sure if it was true or not. 

Suddenly, a pretty blonde face appeared in his mind. He looked over at Evangeline and noted that it was a different pretty face from Evangeline. It must be her.

With conviction, he used his whole might to finish the spell and in a flash, the spell was complete. 

Evangeline looked form afar as Rickert ran towards the naked body of a pretty girl that formed. 

He quickly pulled up her naked body and started hugging her and kissing her face. 

Evangeline smiled, looking at the loving couple. 

Suddenly, the girl opened her eyes and pushed Rickert away with a gust of wind. 

"Who are you?" she yelled as she stood up. She realized that she was naked, but didn't seem to care. 

"Don't... don't you remember me?" he asked, offering her his red trenchcoat. 

"No. How can I remember you? I don't even know you" she answered. 

"You're Erica! Erica, daughter of the blacksmith Gordot! Don't you remember this mountain? The house over there? The workshop?" Rickert asked, pleading for recognition. 

"Erica? My name is not Erica!" the blonde girl said. 

"Then who are you?" Evangeline said as she approached the pair. 

"I am Tanya von Degurechaff, Battalion Commander of the 203rd Air Mage Battalion of the Imperial Army!" she answered. 

Evangeline slapped her forehead. 

"Idiot!" she muttered under the breath. 

24