Chapter 232: I can figure something out
631 6 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As soon as Blake left, Mason had Haley bring him Carl and Phuong. They sat and drank another cup of coffee, stuffing themselves with Haley's pastries as Carl explained what had happened leading up to the attack.

Mason told them they'd found Billy the Brewer, who'd been the one to bring them home much faster, and that he'd sent Streak to lead him back safely.

"That boy picked the wrong class." Carl shook his head in wonder. "No idea how he survived out there alone."

Mason snorted, but kind of agreed. He expected class changes would be possible, and also highly suspected there would be some way to transition between civilian and player at some point in the game. Not that he knew that for sure, or had any idea how.

He told Carl about the dungeon and the completion of the great trees, about the ‘Mind Queen’ that escaped with Becky’s cousin, and saving her other cousin Willy.

“That’s incredible.” Carl’s eyes lit up with hope. Mason knew the man had children. But he didn’t want to encourage that kind of thinking because the odds weren’t good.

“Yeah. Incredible. Except I want someone watching the cousin we saved because I don’t trust him.”

“To be fair, you don’t trust anyone at first,” Carl said, and Mason gave him a look.

“I trust him less. Pretty sure he was an addict, and his sister is currently an insect queen.”

Carl sighed and shrugged. “I’ll put someone on it. Family, eh?”

Mason snorted, then explained his new ability to 'Wyrd Walk'.

"OK. We need to test that right away.” Carl laced his fingers, that little fire of hope still building in his eyes. “Who knows how far you can explore. Oh, but, I have something to tell you, too." Then his face lost some expression, and he explained about Mateo's banishment.

"I didn't know what else to do. Every second of that snake's day was spent trying to undermine this place, Mason. He even had Sylvie going for awhile. But that's sorted."

Mason nodded, losing more and more patience by the day for idiots who didn't understand what this new world was. "It was your decision and you made it," he said. "I’d support it either way, but I think you did the right thing. With Mateo, and with the attack. If I had anything decent to reward you with, I'd do it."

Carl smiled and maybe even blushed a little. "You've done plenty. Happy to help."

"Mason?" Haley knocked quietly and stuck her head inside. "Sorry to bother. Apparently...the players we sent out to scavenge from the goblins...they've found a civilian captive alive. They're saying it's Mateo. He's in pretty rough shape."

Mason met Carl's eyes and clenched his jaw.

"Tell them I'll be right down."

 

* * *

 

Mason walked towards the broken gate and pulled up his patron profile to distract himself. It seemed 'repairs' could be done with points, but the cost was damn near as much as the walls themselves. Better by far, he decided, if they could fix it with their own supplies and craftsmen.

The points they'd gotten for the successful defense was no joke. They could certainly handle the repairs with that, but better to save them for more desperately needed buildings. Like even more defense.

Mason was genuinely pleased with Carl for taking the initiative to upgrade. And apparently the 'Constricting Vines' from the Gaia theme would grow back on their own, so no need to worry there.

As he got closer he saw a large group of civilians was already inspecting the gate. An older woman who had arrived with Becky…whose name now escaped him…Peni the smith, and Hank the fisherman, seemed to be in a heated debate.

Most of the players were there, too, some with wounds wrapped in bandages. Blake was talking to Alex and Garet. Mateo was sitting down, back against the wall, filthy, bruised, and silent as a few of the other players argued over him.

The second Mason looked at him he knew—his civilian 'protection' was gone.

Mason, and any other player, could do whatever they wanted to him. Whether that was because of the banishment or some kind of betrayal, Mason wasn't sure.

The arguments and conversation died all around as Mason approached with Carl, Phuong, and Haley.

Tommaso stepped forward as if to explain the situation but Mason raised a hand for silence. He waited until all the nearby players and civilians had gathered, waiting for him to speak. Mateo just stared at the dirt.

"We don't know what happened. Maybe he betrayed us. Maybe he was tortured." When he said this he saw Mateo's dull eyes shed a tear, and he held back the sigh. Whatever softness was inside him he pushed away. It was only for his girls now, and maybe for himself when he was alone. It couldn’t be here.

"Blake can make him tell us the truth. Do you all trust him to do it?"

No one said a word, and Mason felt the condemnation. It helped the hardness rise easily inside him. If they didn’t want the Blake method, then they’d get something else entirely.

He glanced at his brother, who just shrugged. Then he glanced at Sylvie and any other civilian that would meet his eyes, which wasn't many.

"OK then."

With one motion, he summoned his longer Claw, leaned forward, and cut Mateo's head from his shoulders.

Blood spattered the wall, and some of the nearby players. They gasped or shrieked and leapt away, their eyes going wide, locking on Mateo's slumped over corpse. Mason raised his voice.

"Call this the last reminder. You civilians are all free to leave whenever you want. But if you stay: this is not about you, or making utopia. It's a military outpost and I'm in charge of it. You help, or you get out. You don’t like something? Civilians talk to Haley. Players talk to Phuong or Carl or me. But if we tell you no, then it’s done."

He let that settle, feeling the killing urge still vibrating up his arm.

"And there'll be no more 'banishment'," he added, voice quieter now but no less menacing. "You leave Nassau as a friend, or you leave on a day I forget to feed the wolves." He banished his sword and pointed at his brother.

"As you can see, Blake is back. He’s not patron anymore. And he’s promised me he won’t use his abilities on anyone who lives here." Blake cleared his throat and put his finger in the air with a grin.

"Unless you ask me to."

Mason fought the eyeroll, then just stared, waiting for a challenge that didn't come. He'd intended to talk to people about the gate, but he knew now wasn't the time. Maybe he could get Carl or Phuong to handle it.

He glanced at the infirmary, and the two bodies still outside covered in a tarp.

"We’re going to kill every single one of those goblins," he said. “Any questions, talk to the people I mentioned. Bury Mateo with the others. You can all decide where the graveyard is. But make sure there’s some space. We might need it."

With that he stalked back towards the chief hall, forcing himself not to look back or meet anyone's eyes. Let them be afraid of me, he thought, then maybe I won't have to bury more of them for stupidity.

When he got inside he walked to his room and sat, wishing his vitality didn't make alcohol more or less a waste of time. One more day, he thought, then he'd wipe out the goblins and remove another thorn pressing in his mind.

Maybe the challenges are almost over, he told himself, almost laughing at the fiction. Maybe once they cleared the forest they’d be safe.

He might have slept before he heard familiar footsteps approaching. Despite everything he smiled and waited, inhaling as the door opened and Haley's scent hit him. She walked slowly over, hips swaying all the way to his chair before she sat in his lap and started massaging his scalp.

"How was the mood?" Mason asked.

"Pretty down. But I think it was good you said it. I think most people understand."

"The housing complaints should stop at least."

Haley giggled and put a hand on her stomach, and Mason winced as he remembered.

"How are you feeling?"

"Oh. Good. I’m craving crepes, and maybe a little maple syrup."

Mason put a hand over hers, practically cringing at the sight of his own, much larger, very rough and callused skin on hers.

"So much is happening I forget it’s only been...what, three weeks?"

"Every night without you feels very long," she said, kissing his cheeks and the corners of his eyes. He sighed, and she whispered in his ear.

"I saw you with Rosa and Becky earlier. That looked...eventful."

"Jealous?" Mason grinned at Haley's sexy laugh.

"Only that I wasn’t there."

"Next time."

"Will Rosa be...moving in now?"

"To be determined." Mason frowned. "I don't suppose you can...work a little of your magic? I sure as hell would rather she did. Make my life a little…simpler."

"Oh I think I can figure something out."


If you'd like to get access to images of the girls in this story, additional cut steamy scenes, and 10 additional chapters beyond RR, you can subscribe to my PATREON.

Enjoy!


 

15