Chapter 141: Ideals, Intent, and Repentance
266 2 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Atalante…

The Atalante of this world… She doesn’t look good. If I would describe it in words, it is like she is fighting for a shallow belief—one that she is completely unsure of.

I… I have gone through that phase in the past. I wondered if it is better to simply escape with my friends and family to another world; that it is not worth risking my life against the Twilight Syndrome.

However, I couldn’t bear to do this, more so when I haven’t even done my best.

This was proven to be the correct choice by the sight I saw in the fifteenth iteration. Before my memories were cut off, we learned of a shocking revelation:

The entire world will end if we lose.

By the “entire world”, it is both the people and the lands. No matter how far someone escapes, their existence will “come to an end”. That was what it meant by being a person of this world—one will be tied to it no matter what.

“Time is running out. I will bid farewell for now.”

Without a warning, several sphere-like objects came out from behind my overcoat.

Fwooosh-!

Everything was filled with white smoke. I utilized this moment to propel myself high up in the air whilst rebuilding my ‘concealment magicka’.

The crescent moon greeted me along with its moonlight.

*****

“...and he’s gone.”

“...”

It was nothing less of a strange encounter. Be it Assassin of Black’s character or strength, they weren’t able to fully know about it. They only knew that he is stronger than Achilles when it comes to brute strength.

“That strength… it should be from a great hero…”

“A great hero… It sounds like…”

If her prediction was right, it is completely reasonable. That hero is famed for his strength as the best hunter.

“Big sis..?”

“...It’s nothing.”

Silence crept up between the two.

“What should we do?”

Achilles broke it first.

“Let’s report it to them. Let them judge whether Berserker’s advance should still be continued. After all…”

If a heroic spirit of that caliber teamed up with his other teammates, it’d be more troublesome with only three servants from their side. Moreover, they have already completed their mission by knowing that a servant of that caliber exists.

*****

Upon receiving the report, Kotomine Shirou opened his eyes. Using one of his command seals, he ordered Spartacus’ forceful return.

‘He’s too uncontrollable.’

Seeing that one did not work, he spent another command seal to enhance his first command. This time, he was successful.

“Assassin of Black… Was he related to that disturbance two days ago..?”

Unsurprisingly, the sudden spike of magical energy from Japan two days ago had attracted the attention of the entire moonlit world. They knew it was caused by the summoning of a servant, yet its intensity was unprecedented.

Surely, it wasn’t caused by the summoning alone. The specific cause is still being investigated by the Clock Tower until now.

Through his connection with the church, Shirou was able to receive such detailed reports.

“If he will be a hindrance…”

He is ready to do anything—all for the sake of his wish.

*****

My eyes scanned my surroundings before calculating for the coordinates of Trifas.

Summa auferet.” (Drift away.)

My field of vision changed. This time, I found myself near a castle watchtower… and a fifteen-meter tall giant golem.

A single usage of correspondence was all it took to let me know more about it. At the same time, a “name” appeared in my mind: [Golem Keter Malkuth].

“A Noble Phantasm based on the highest sephirot… no, the recreation of the First Human.

In terms of my world’s Modern Magicka, the creation of the First Human symbolizes one of the biggest mysteries of the world. I am certain it’ll be of huge significance in this world, too.

“Hm… Telesma, Mysteries, and a form of miracle. It doesn’t have the usual “death” character in its obscure part, too…”

Usually, golems made of Kabbalah have a symbol of “life” in Hebrew characters. It is meant to be the “core” that holds the entire golem, as well as the reason behind its new life. Though, a single stroke is all it takes to change the character of “life” into “death”. Thus, it is a notorious weakness of golems back in my world.

Strangely enough, this golem is similar to the ones Nietsczhe made.

“It’s creator… hm..?”

I found its “creator” to be lying underneath a huge rubble. In the midst of this battlefield filled with several heroic spirits, nobody noticed him. Perhaps they are preoccupied with the golem problem.

Under the veil of the night, I came close to him. A single touch of my finger was enough to crush the rubble into pieces.

“..?”

Immediately, I met his gaze. It was similar to the ones that most magicians gave me.

“What a pity…”

*****

Avicebron.

His true name is Solomon Ibn Gabirol. He was a poet first before he transitioned into Kabbalah.

While he himself doesn’t expect much of his creations and findings, it was proven to be a huge contribution for Kabbalah. He was later known as one of the biggest contributors of it.

Akin to many magi of his time, he has a great ideal. He had the idea that the world would become a better place once it turns back into the [Garden of Eden]. To make his ideals come true, he created his magnum opus, Golem Keter Malkuth.

It was the blueprint and idea of a golem that will have a reality marble attached into it, turning its surroundings into paradise with every given second.

Proportionally, the golem would grow stronger as the paradise becomes larger. By the time it enveloped the entire world, the golem itself shall turn into a paradise.

It was a plan that accepted the deaths of millions in exchange for paradise. It was extremely similar to Goetia’s final plan with humanity and the world. Both of them are designed to “cleanse” humanity and turn themselves into paradise for the “New Genesis”.

However…

“Forgive me from being impolite. Suddenly appearing in front of you, I assume it must’ve been surprising.”

“...”

Avicebron didn’t mind his trembling body as he tried to stand up. Underneath him was an unconscious boy wearing Yggdmillennia’s uniform.

“What do you want..?” He asked.

“Some answers. Behind your motives, that is.”

Boom-!

Rumble-!

The sounds of explosions and buildings collapsing rang out in their ears. A huge pillar of light swept through the entire golem vertically. The amount of magical energy within that attack is enormous. As a result, the castle’s entire eastern side was sliced in half.

Swoosh-!

Sou-!

It was followed by an arrow whistling through the air. Its speed surpassed the speed of sound, striking the golem’s core in one go.

“...It wouldn’t end here.”

“You… How did you know..?”

“The golem lacked the character for its core. There should still be something that sustains its existence other than its core.”

Interestingly, the three laws of thermodynamics are present in this world. Nothing is truly created nor destroyed, and as such, the “character” had to be substituted by “something else”, be it a mechanism or an additional part.

Avicebron was forced to acknowledge Nobu’s words.

“The golem is connected to the earth. It’ll use everything the earth has to rebuild itself.”

“What a foolproof plan.”

The Reality Marble, at first, seemed to be affecting the earth. However, it was actually a diversion as it worked in both ways. Just as the reality marble affected the earth, it was also sustained by the world.

It was something that couldn’t be discovered until the first fatal strike was made.

Hum-!

True to his words, the place where the golem stood lit up with golden particles. They soon assisted the fallen half of the golem and reattached it to the remaining half. The core, which was pierced through, began regenerating itself.

Although the golem’s aura became slightly weakened, it was brought back to its functional state.

Rumble-!

The two of them watched as its stone sword descended into the main building where Vlad III stood.

Bam-!

Rumble-!

It didn’t take long before blood-red thorns came out of the ground and continued restricting its movements.

“You will fail. That’s a predetermined outcome.”

“...”

At this rate, it wouldn’t take long for the Black Faction to resolve the still-growing [Golem Keter Malkuth]. Nobu wouldn’t even need to move before it was exterminated by them.

“You asked for my reason. You study Kabbalah too, don't you?”

“Yes. I am a magician who dabbles in Kabbalah.”

“Dabbles…” He muttered with a disbelieving tone. “The reason why… It was my dream.”

Avicebron… or Solomon Ibn Gabirol was a man with a unique perspective. He is considered one of the main contributors behind the European Renaissance as well as the man who brought Jewish cultures at that time.

As someone with enough talents, he sought to change the world. As he had personally seen the growing ‘conflicts’ between humans—evident from his own experience as an outcast—he wanted to reduce them.

But then, that begs the question:

Why are they fighting?

It didn’t take long before he discovered the root cause—resources.

If everyone could live in contentment, with abundant resources and ‘good people’, the world would become a better place. Avicebron had even planned out to emulate “The Rapture” once the golem had taken over the entire world to do that cleansing.

Unfortunately for him, fate isn’t on his side.

“...You do know how far-fetched it was, no?”

“I do. Still… I will fight for whatever chance there is.”

“Then, how about now?”

“...”

Despite his silence, Nobu understood his answer.

“You are still a person with acceptable morals. I hope you won't forget about the homunculi you have sacrificed for your creation.”

This time, it was Avicebron’s turn to get caught off guard. He noticed Nobu’s bottom line when it comes to humans.

At this moment, all of his wrongdoings had caught up to him.

“Although they could settle it, I will show you something.”

As Nobu declared, his dreamland extended into his entire body. The wristwatch on his left arm lit up before transforming into a blade made of blue crystals. Its ivory handguard and handle gave a metallic sheen. The gemstone embedded into its center glowed dimly, as if responding to its master’s will.

Avicebron immediately saw its uniqueness.

“That is..!”

The sword, embodying all ten sephira as well as His neverending light, made its appearance once more. Nobu’s surroundings froze due to the ‘eternal freeze’ emitted by the sword.

The amount of magical energy spiked to an unheard level, finally attracting several gazes upon their position.

Suddenly, the eternal freeze reached out to Avicebron himself.

“You will have to take all the blame for this strike. You will draw many unsavory gazes. I will also force your silence about our meeting. But…”

“I agree.”

Avicebron cut him short with a fanatical look.

“Seeing His direct influence with my own eyes…”

In the end, Avicebron’s faith is with the Being behind the sword’s power. It is the greatest proof of His influence on earth—in Nobu’s world.

Ein Sof. That is its name.”

God’s Infinite Light… What a fitting name.”

A huge wave of blue light swept through everything at once.

*****

From the moment a huge magical energy spike appeared, Chiron’s eyes were already drawn to its direction.

There, he saw Avicebron talking with someone. The two didn’t seem to be enemies, but rather, people who share the same interest.

Just before he could react, the blue light swept through everything.

“It’s not harmful…”

Chiron swiftly reacted. He first checked the status of his master and her brother.

“Archer!”

“I am alright.”

“What… was that..?”

Caules fixed his eyeglasses as he recovered from the blaring light.

When Chiron was done checking everyone, he shockingly found out that the blue light had caused nothing. It didn’t leave any physical traces nor harm someone…

“That..!”

…except for the twenty-meter tall golem that slowly dispersed in golden motes of light. It was a sudden occurrence—for something that they struggled to contain—to be bested in one strike.

Even worse, it was a strike that was harmless to anyone but its target.

Owning a weapon and precisely harming its sole target is nothing short of the testament behind the owner’s mastery over it.

By the time he reacted, he saw that the mysterious figure had disappeared. The only person left was the unconscious Avicebron.

“The power of a god…”

As someone who had direct interaction with great gods such as Zeus, he was familiar with their Divinity.

Undoubtedly, the attack just now—

“That Divinity is boundless…”

—it was something he couldn’t properly measure.

13