Chapter 5 Naralie’s Journey
124 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One quiet morning a doe is grazing in a small tree enclosed grove when an arrows flies at her side before strangely swerving away to strike harmlessly into a nearby tree. Looking up the does seem to glare in the direction the arrow came from before her form is shrouded in mist and seems to be changing and rearrange itself. As the mist clears in the deer's place stands a massive six-legged lizard with glowing eyes.

The hunters look at each other and scream as they try to turn and run from the hissing and angry lizard that the deer they had been tracking suddenly changed into. Charging at the pair of hunters while hissing it chases them for several hours until they are far from her grove.

Stopping to rest a few moments before mist surrounds the creature once more as it dissolves and reforms into an elven woman with bright red waist length hair, a long green cloak her only apparent clothing. Sighing she comments in broken elvish that the hunters seem to be spreading farther and farther into the wilderness. Shifting yet again this time into a small green dragon only a few feet in length she flies towards a group of mountains some distance away.

After nearly an hour of flight she arrives at a walled off tower in front of a sharp cliff of one of the mountains and lands in the enclosed courtyard before shifting once more into her elven form. Looking briefly at the crumbling tower she turns and approaches a large cave entrance and goes inside.

Traveling through several passages she turns into a side room and sets down at a small table and grabs and eats some fruit from a bowel on the table then eats a few small chunks of dried meat before standing up and looking around the room. gathering a few books, a short bow and quiver of arrows she proceeds through the next few rooms packing up several sets of cloths a pair of well-worn boots a belt with a faintly glowing dagger and short sword and sighs once again.

After gathering all of her belongings including several pouches of coins she undresses and drops some heated stones into a small stone bathing pool adding several sachets of herbs to the water as well. Once the water is hot enough, she slips into the bath and soaks until the water has cooled once more. Stepping out of the bath and using a nearby towel to dry off she walks into the last small chamber and drops her towel before collapsing onto the single plain bed falling asleep quickly.

The next morning the cave is filled with the sounds of a snorting beast smashing everything around it. After long minutes the sounds die down into quiet sobs and a single long wordless scream. Having regained her proper elven form, she quickly dresses and grabs the backpack and weapons she gathered the night before as well as the last piece of fruit on the table and leaves after one last look around.

Stopping at a small garden she glances at the two headstones within and says, "until we meet again my friends". Letting mists swirl around her she once again turns into a small green dragon and flies away. Avoiding civilization, she travels for several weeks shifting between various forms only stopping long enough to eat a rest a few hours.

Finally arriving with a large city and port in sight. Back tracking a few days travel by foot from the city, she finds a concealed place to transform and set up a small camp. Watching the nearby road, she waits for a trading caravan to come by. A few days later when a small caravan stops nearby to rest for the night she approaches and asks about joining them until the next city.

Introducing herself as Naralie, a former adventurer and offering her services as a guard she talks a little more with the caravan master and demonstrates her skill with a bow she is allowed to join the caravan. Finally arriving at the nearby city a few days later and entering the gates she parted ways with the small caravan and sought out an out of the way tower.

Banging on the locked door of the Alchemist's tower she had sought out she is greeted by a bleary-eyed half elven woman that after several long moments recognizes her. "Auntie Nar" it has been ages." Naralie sighs before giving the woman a gentle hug. "Greetings Vivien I need your help."  "Your shapeshifting, Auntie Nar? I am sorry but I still have not found a cure."  Exhausted from a lack of rest and maintaining her elven form she asks about the basement cell made for her and asks Viviane if they can talk more in the morning.

Climbing down the stone stairs several floors Naralie comes to a walled off room with a heavy door and a pile of pillows and furs on the floor inside. Dropping her gear and clothing outside the door. Entering the room, she slams the door shut behind her and collapses into the pile of pillows and furs.

2