chapter 52
154 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Alright, since we didn’t get to do it before, let us start our self introductions!”

Hiyori clapped towards Ru’s energetic announcement, though one could clearly see she’s not really into it and its probably just Ru forcing Hiyori against her will.

I also clapped along to liven things up.

Dinzo looked amused and while there was not much of a reaction from Vora and Mika, at least they looked like they were paying attention.

We’re currently resting up next to a river, and Ru has taken it upon herself to start an icebreaking session.

“Alright, let’s start with me! I’m Rurune but you can just call me Ru. I don’t really use any weapon to fight since that’s how I’ve been taught. I can also use magic, though most of them are body reinforcement magic. Of course, I’ll be taking the frontline! Nice to meet you!”

Me and Hiyori clapped again once Ru’s self-introduction was finished.

Ru looked at Hiyori as if telling her to go next.

“Hiyori, call me as you please. I’m using a dagger and buckler and I mostly fight to buy time for others or serve as a distraction.”

A really quick introduction, which is met with a really big round of applause from Ru as she screamed “WOOOOO, PIYOPIYOOOO!!” energetically.

Of course, it was swiftly met with a chop to the head from Hiyori.

The boys were looking at me expectantly so I guess I’m next?

Ladies first as they say.

“I’m Misa. I have a contract with a plant spirit and I can make plants grow at rapid speed.”

Again, Ru was being hyperactively loud with her applause, which was cut short by Hiyori’s chop.

Mika showed a questioning glance while Dinzo was also looking at me with a curious smile.

Come to think of it, both of them never really saw me used magic do they?

I took out one of the seed from my pouch and threw it before casting my magic.

The seed grew into a tree in almost an instant.

They looked impressed by what I did.

“As you can see, I can make plants grow rapidly to serve as shield and a lot of other things. I’m only limited by the amount of seeds I have and my mana, as this magic costs a lot of mana to use. I will mostly be staying in the back supporting as I’m not good at close quarter combat.”

Truthfully I can cast plenty enough if it’s just quick-grow and I’m not really limited by my seeds as I can create a plant from nothing but there’s no need to reveal such, just as there’s no need to reveal that I’m practically unbeatable inside this forest.

“Now that’s one interesting magic.”

Dinzo looked at me amused.

“Well, I suppose I should go next. Apart from being the cool, handsome, and desirable man that I am, you could say I also dabble a bit in swordsmanship. You’re all lucky to be grouped with me, as this expedition will be a breeze with me around.”

What a completely narcissistic introduction…..

Even Ru was looking at him speechless for a bit before giving her applause.

“Vora Rufias. I use this 2-handed sword. If we ever encounter a large monster, you can leave it to me to finish them off. I’m also speedy enough to deal with the likes of wolves.”

Half-ignoring Dinzo’s introduction, Vora gave a brief and stern introduction of himself.

“Mika. I’m most proficient in healing magic though I can also cast some offensive magic if needs be.”

And with the very brief self-introduction from Mika, we’re all finished.

“So, what should we do now?”

Ru continued to take the lead of the conversation.

As expected, shouldn’t Ru be the leader….? I mean I did choose her when we were voting but Vora, Ru, and Hiyori all chose me instead.

“We should continue on for a little bit more.”

Vora suggested as such, though was quickly met with Dinzo’s disapproval.

“Nono, we’ve made plenty of progress already. It’s about to get dark soon and we’re in a perfect spot to set up a camp with this open area and clean water source.”

“You….!”

Vora didn’t take well to Dinzo’s disapproval.

“Then how about we let our group leader decide?”

Dinzo threw it to me!

Ngghhhh, what to do……

As much as I would like to agree with Vora, I feel like Dinzo’s the right one here.

We made a pretty hefty progress thanks to me leading us away from most of the monsters, and the monsters that we did encounter were quickly eliminated by Vora and Dinzo.

We’re definitely not in any danger since this is practically my home ground but judgement-wise, Dinzo’s is the more reasonable one.

“Sorry Vora, but Dinzo is right. Rather than rushing ahead, it’s better to make a camp here since we don’t know when will we be able to find another spot like this.”

There’s an open area that could serve as our camp a small bit ahead, but distance-wise the sun will probably already set by the time we get there.

Vora looked frustrated but didn’t argue back.

“I’ll gather some firewood.”

With that parting words, he went off on his own.

Mnnn, now I feel bad.

If I went along with Vora’s idea, I doubt Dinzo would be that hurt so should I have gone with Vora’s idea instead…..?

“I’ll fish us something.”

Mika grabbed a fishing rod from the provided camp set tools provided and went to the river.

By the way, the one who had been carrying them was Mika himself, since the other 4 are frontline fighters and I would slow us down if I were the one carrying them.

“Well, I guess the rest of us should set up camp then.”

Dinzo didn’t seem to particularly care about Vora’s reaction and ignored it completely.

I could see Ru looking quite concerned about it though.

“You don’t need to worry about him. That’s just how he always acted towards me, always getting unnecessarily competitive and disapprove everything I do or decide.”

Dinzo who noticed Ru’s gaze answered as such and shrugged.

Ngghhhh, why is the atmosphere between those two always so bad……

I wouldn’t say Dinzo’s completely guilt-free but I feel like Vora gets irritated way too easily against him too.

I wonder if they had some conflict with each other in the past.

Lingering on such thought wouldn’t do me any good so I focused myself on making our camp.

There was a big rock near us so I used that as a start and created a wall of wood leaning against said rock.

I then created some soft leaves to serve as bedding so we won’t have to sleep on the hard ground.

After finishing, I pretended to be a bit faint to not raise any suspicion.

Ru quickly supported my body and looked at me concerned.

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah.”

Sorry that I have to lie to you like this Ru.

Dinzo whistled amazed as he observed the inside of the camp I built.

“This is quite amazing, it’s no bed but didn’t think I would be sleeping on something this comfortable while camping.”

“I haven’t been doing much until now after all so I should do this much.”

“Haha, nonsense. Just your companion is enough to brighten this whole group. That includes you two as well of course.”

“Geez, thanks for relegating us into the cheerleader role. Truly an honorable role to have.”

Hiyori replied sarcastically.

Dinzo looked a bit lost for words from Hiyori’s reply.

Seeing Dinzo’s reaction, Hiyori let out a small chuckle.

“Mnnn, there’s not much to do now since Misa set up the camp on her own…..”

“Ummm, I’m sorry…..?”

I ended up apologizing to Ru for some reason.

Ru then decided to go hunt some things in the forest so we wouldn’t only be having fish for dinner, with Hiyori and Dinzo joining her.

I was also about to go with them but got told to watch the camp instead.

“Misa, you already made the camp for us so you rest here!”

Ru proclaimed energetically.

“I’ll make sure to properly keep an eye on these 2 so don’t worry.”

“Ehhh? Why do I feel like I just got insulted….”

Hiyori and Dinzo also chimed in.

If that’s what they wish to do then so be it, I can still keep everyone safe even if I stay back after all.

Even now, I’m still keeping an eye on Vora who had been gone for a while.

He had been encountering some monsters on his path but with his strength, it wasn’t a big deal.

He’s more than capable of taking care of himself.

They quickly went on their way in a merry mood.

With not much else to do, I called out Rosa so I could at least have some conversation partner.

“Misa, it’s good to see you again.”

“You too Rosa.”

She was quick to take me into her embrace as before I noticed, my head was leaning on her breasts.

“U-Ummm Rosa…..?”

“Yes?”

“You’re being a lot closer than usual…..”

She looked at me with a questioning look.

“A spirit friend of mine said that her contractor was happy when she did it to them. I figured we should get closer with each other due to our time together being more limited than most others who’re in contract. Do you dislike it?”

“N-No, it’s not like dislike it.”

“Then I see no problem in staying like this.”

I let out a small sigh and simply got myself comfortable instead of questioning it.

We were inside the shelter I made so there was no risk of Mika seeing me, in the first place I would definitely notice, or be notified first if anyone were to approach me.

“So Rosa, what have you been up to?”

“I don’t think there’s any point in asking a spirit that. We really don’t do much in general, at most I would meet with other spirits I get along with.”

The life cycle of a spirit is such a mysterious thing.

They practically have no lifespan and have no need for food or drink, death is also not the end for them.

“On the contrary, you had been having quite the adventure haven’t you?”

Rosa let out a smirk.

I called out for her help when me and Firana-oneesama were helping the prisoners after all.

“Sorry for worrying you.”

“As I mentioned, I trust that girl Firana to keep you safe so I wasn’t really worried. I could always interfere myself if it were to get dangerous.”

It’s pretty amazing that Firana-oneesama is trusted that much by Rosa.

“Ehhh? But didn’t you say you can’t keep an eye on me all the time back then?”

“Rather than can’t, I simply choose not to. It’s really not hard for me to monitor you all the time but I doubt you would appreciate that, like when you go take a bath for example.”

“T-That…..thank you for your consideration.”

“No need to mind. I mentioned it when we just made our contract early on but the reason I made a contract with you was to fill my boredom. Though not staying by your side all the time is uncommon for a spirit contract, at the same time it gives me an experience most other spirits would never get to know. It’s better to let you go on your own little adventure than overly meddling with your decision for that reason.”

Nnnn, as long as Rosa’s satisfied I suppose.

“Besides, the plants around you will notify me in case something truly dangerous were to approach you so you shouldn’t worry about your life. That doesn’t mean I condone you to run into danger on your own for no reason though.”

“Something truly dangerous?”

“Natural disasters, demons, and abnormalities. Things that can destroy an entire kingdom with ease if it pleases them.”

“Sounds terrifying…..”

“That friend of yours, Cure is one of the said abnormality you know?”

I could only look at Rosa with a surprised expression.

I always thought I knew how ridiculous Cure is but every time I get proven wrong.

“That much…..?”

“Not at her current state. But if she were to completely master the thing inside her, or if she gets consumed by it then she can easily destroy a few kingdoms without much of a sweat.”

Rosa’s tone was completely serious and I once again gulped at how ridiculous Cure is.

“Still, what do you mean by not at her current state and the thing inside her?”

“I prefer not to intrude her privacy for no reason. You can ask her yourself and see if she would answer or not. Just know that she’s still nowhere near her full potential and yet she’s already as strong as you’d seen.”

I wonder if Cure would tell me if I were to ask her, Rosa did make me really curious about it.

As that conversation topic came to a close, Rosa started gently brushing my hair.

I leaned my body even closer to Rosa as I simply enjoyed the blissful quiet time with her.

We spent our time together like that until the others came back.

There was really no risk of them sneaking up on us so Rosa was able to return back to the spirit world safely without anyone noticing.

The first to return was Vora, though Ru’s group should be here soon too.

I got out to greet Vora since I’m sure he would be confused to see the practically empty camp.

Well, he can see Mika fishing in the distance but there’s no reason for me to not come out.

“Welcome back Vora.”

“Yeah. I can see Mika but where are the others?”

“They went scavenging for dinner, Ru said she didn’t want dinner to only be fish.”

“I see.”

Vora was carrying a large stack of wood bundled together by a ropes.

It looked really heavy but for Vora who could swing his large sword with one hand I guess it wasn’t a big deal.

We prepared and set alight a campfire, which wasn’t a difficult task to do since I could start the fire with a flower.

I did feel the slightest bit emotional as I watched the wood burned in the fire for some reason.

Is this the influence of being contracted to Rosa?

It really wasn’t a big deal and I wouldn’t even notice it if I hadn’t been staring at the wood for a while but that slight feeling was there when I did.

That does make me curious if someone like Shirenia-sama who made a contract with a high rank fire spirit would feel sad if she were to see flame get extinguished.

Maybe I’m simply overthinking and imagining this feeling due to just having spent time with Rosa.

Ru and the others were back by the time we started the fire, Mika also stopped fishing and headed towards us.

“Ohhh nice, you got the fire going. Let’s get this cooking show on the road!”

Ru energetically raised her hand, and in turn dropped the various things she was carrying to the ground.

“Ahhh.”

Of course, a chop came flying to Ru’s head in a flash after.

Hiyori was also carrying various things but there’s not so much that she was able to carry all of them with one hand pressing them against her body while her other hand was busy delivering due justice.

The most eye-catching one of the group was definitely Dinzo though, who was carrying a large adult boar on his shoulder.

It didn’t seem like the weight was much for him as he didn’t even sweat and chuckled at Ru and Hiyori’s interaction.

As he put down the boar near the campfire, Vora approached him.

“I apologize for how I acted before.”

I was worried about what would happen and was wondering if I should’ve interfered but Vora only gave out that apology and nothing more.

Dinzo looked shocked for a bit before bursting into laughter, though there wasn’t any ill-will like making fun of Vora from it.

“Hahahahahaa!! There’s no need to be so stiff, it was hardly an inconvenience.”

Vora looked away in a snap and muttered something before letting out a sigh, though with his low voice paired with Dinzo’s laughing, I couldn’t hear what he said at all.

Vora then looked at Dinzo again, his gaze was sharp.

“I have a request.”

Dinzo quickly stopped laughing and looked back with a serious expression.

“Well, I can guess what said request would be but out with it. Maybe you’ll humor me and prove me wrong.”

“I request a duel.”

“I knew it.”

Accompanied with a loud sigh, Dinzo didn’t say much more and walked a bit away from the fire before drawing out his sword.

“Well, let’s wrap this up quickly so we can go have dinner.”

“I appreciate it.”

Vora also took out his sword and stared at Dinzo sharply.

The rest of us were speechless at the speed of the development and could only looked at them blankly.

“Hiyori.”

“Y-Yeah?”

“Count us down please.”

“Sure.”

Hiyori was a bit startled at first having her name called out of nowhere but she quickly recovered and stood between them.

 The atmosphere was tense as they stared at each other, waiting for the call from Hiyori while observing each and every little thing they could about their opponent.

 Hiyori exhaled loudly before holding her hand up high.

Only the sound of the wind shaking the leaves of the trees could be heard, and as if they’re about to watch what’s about to transpire too, even that soon came to a halt bringing forward total silence.

“BEGIN!”

As if waiting for that moment, Hiyori proclaimed with a loud voice accompanied by her raised hand chopping through the air.

She quickly stepped back now that her task was done, though the other 2 didn’t concern themselves with that and immediately closed their distance.

The sound of the flurry of their sword clash reverberated loudly, neither side relenting.

I couldn’t keep track of their swordfight at all but after a while Dinzo jumped back a distance from Vora.

“Whew, you sure have gotten stronger.”

“I’ll take you down.”

Dinzo closed the gap again and unleashed an overhead slash with a loud scream, though Dinzo skillfully parried and redirected the slash away from him before stepping close and delivering an elbow blow to Vora.

Vora only flinched for a small moment before recovering but that small moment was all Dinzo needed as he let go of his sword before using his leg to hit the back of Vora’s knee and from the lost of balance pushed him down to the ground.

His swiftly grabbed back the sword before it could truly fall flat on the ground and push the blade to Vora’s neck.

“That’s enough right.”

“Yes…..”

Frustration could be heard from Vora’s reply, though he didn’t look particularly angry from losing.

Dinzo let out a sigh before heading back to us, Vora also got up and rejoined us.

“Sorry you had to see that, this guy is quite persistent about winning against me for some reason.”

“I was simply confirming whether those rumors were all true or not. Now I know at the very least some of them are false.”

“Haha, I don’t know what rumors you heard about me but all of them are most likely true!”

There were still some sparks between them at the end but at least the atmosphere between those 2 aren’t bad anymore, just for that much I’m already glad.

5