Unexpected call.
3.1k 14 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The call caught Katie by surprise. Before they’d stopped being friends, James had called so little that she forgot she had his number. It was more surprising to hear a prepubescent voice on the other end; she knew James' voice, it was the one that stuck in her head every time he spat his toxic words at her. But this voice was that of a twelve-year-old or a teenage girl, not the voice of the edgelord she knew.

"Kieran, you need to come over right now. I know we aren't friends anymore, but I think you're the only one that might have a clue of what to do?" It was James, except his usual deadnaming didn't have its usual venom behind it. Maybe it was the desperate way he said it or the shakiness in his voice; like he was calling out to who she used to be, instead of trying to hurt her. She couldn't help but feel concerned.

"What's going on? Why are you calling me? You've made it pretty clear you hate me."

She remembered how his friends laughed at her at the beginning of the day when the teacher wasn't looking. How he would try and get her to react to Kieran to try and prove that she was still him. How he'd sit back and agree with his friend Ben when he went on his transphobic rants about whatever latest news came out about people like her. 

"Kieran, please, I need help and there is no one else I can ask." His voice seemed to be getting shakier and more desperate; she couldn't even bring herself to be mad at him for continuing with the deadnaming.

"What is it?"

"You need to come over, you wouldn't believe me if I told you."

As much as she was mad at him for what he had done, she couldn't leave him. For him to call her while sounding like that? She could fully believe she was his only choice.

"Kieran, I can't, I can't tell anyone else about this." 

She had to go see him.

"Do you still live in the same place?"

"Yes."

"I'm on my way, just hang in there."

"Thank you."

Deadnaming is the act of calling someone by their old name or deadname; Katie's deadname is Kieran

59