6. The Cognition Terminal
345 4 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

HtdIDdw.pngZ9HlYQd.png

 

The Cognition Terminal.

JtAQyVS.png

An iteration of the Cognition Terminal (F-B1: 342 PA)

 

Description

A state-of-the-art technological marvel created by partnered Ateliers: CogitO, Caldera Industries, and Inflow Direct. Aspects of the Golden Index’ subsidiary – the Golden Thumb – have also contributed to its creation (largely in its organizational systems and valued Administrative Employees).

The Cognition Terminal serves as the CNS (Central Nex-Operational System) of a given Site with secondary Cognition Terminals serving as the PNS (Peripheral Nex-Operational Subsystem). All systems, doors, mechanisms, and functions are linked and under the command of the Cognition Terminal.

The Site Core determines what is connected and what is disconnect through a complex network of wires and pipes (both created anomalously by the Site’s expansion). Please do not attempt to understand its mechanism. Damage to the Cognition Terminal is irreversible.

It is an assortment of multiple screens made from a composite similar to glass, connected by external branches that originate from a central trunk like a tree. The cables connected to each screen is made of a 70% biological material and 30% transmission blend from Caldera Industries and CogitO to allow the transference of information between the scrying crystals.

The Primary Cognition Terminal may only be operated by the Site Overseer and Navigator. All secondary Cognition Terminals may be accessed by Level 2 Administrative Employees.

 

Largest Contributor

CogitO remains as the largest contributor due to the Cognition Terminal’s heavy reliance on their conscious-altering products.

 

Overseer Uses

The Cognition Terminal allows the Overseer to interact with the Site and all its Workers mentally using the ‘White Box’ implant.

This enables the Overseer to order, control doors, traps, and make an assortment of decisions merely by ‘thinking’. Workers will interpret commands using the CognitO Receivers but will never hear the voice of the Navigator or Overseer. They will ‘feel’ the commands.

 

Navigator Uses

Similarly, the Navigator is able to interact with the Cognition Terminal largely due to the ‘Black Box’ implant (takes roughly 35% of the Navigator’s brain). This allows the Navigator to access all relevant information across the Site to make educated decisions, which will then be relayed to the Overseer who holds the final decision-making power.

The Navigator is able to interact with all secondary Cognition Terminals and is responsible for archiving all data into the ‘Collection’, which will then join the universal Corrupted Codex.

 

Note

The ‘Collection’ is a broad term used to describe where this information is being stored.

XMt2WDC.png

 

All information regarding the storage of information and the ‘collection’ is highly classified. Probing will result in immediate termination.

 

– Enoch, the Artificer of Rupturing (T-4 Artificer, Clearance Level 0)

 

XMt2WDC.pngHtdIDdw.png

 

* * *

 

Papilia read through this log patiently as Aisyle; the Overseer, swung a finger around, panning the overview look of the entire accessible Site to test its range of motion, view, and limitations.

The woman was diligent despite how she looked. Meanwhile, Papilia pondered on the mysterious REDACTED information. Very few times had she ever been denied information by ImpulseWorks, as they were essentially at the top of the hierarchy of command.

However, this was only within a designated Site.

Within ImpulseWorks itself resided numerous other roles that sat on the same level as hers. If Clearance Level 1 was where she and Aisyle – who were considered omnipresent due to their roles – those at the top with Clearance Level 0 were omnipotent, with near unlimited resources, manpower and reach.

To call them God-like would not be an exaggeration in this day and age where people could hold spatial singularities in their bare hands, or store and pull items from pocket dimensions, as Papilia demonstrated by plunging her hand into the air to grab a small, blue hairclip from an anomalous tear in space.

This was due to the Ability she and all the Blessed possessed: [Dimensional Storage].

How and why mattered little. All that mattered were the results, made evident by the lack of care that was given to the lives of those beneath them. The hairclip squeaked as she strangled it with her tiny hands.

I wonder if I can make a change.

Papilia made a conflicted face as she strapped stray hair aside with the clip. Her mind was temporarily lost in a sea of poisonous turmoil, brought back by the sound of a metallic clunk originating from the Cognition Terminal.

“What do you believe in?”

Aisyle asked her a simple question as the monitors crackled with an electrical buzz.

“… excuse me?” Papilia was unnerved by the sudden question.

So, Aisyle clarified with a slow, tantalizing voice.

“Do you believe in Gods?”

The monitors buzzed until they became white. They enveloped Aisyle’s body, forming wings before all screens turned black. She dragged a finger along a lonely, long desk, then transferred it onto a screen.

She brushed the finger along the cheek of her reflection, almost longingly.

“I mean, where else did the Nexus come from?” Papilia answered in a round-about way.

Aisyle’s gazed into her own reflection with sealed eyes as more fingers reached for the screen.

The Nexus was an obelisk located in the centre of the world. It floated several kilometres above a city called Atlas, surrounded by a fortress of 5 additional cities, collectively called the Nex Megalopolis. Its heights pierced the metaphorical heavens, and instead became it.

The object was responsible for her ability to use [Dimensional Storage], as well as the mental prompts.

“May we never know.” Aiysle seemed satisfied with the response.

Papilia only guesses this was the case, however, as the woman never turned or smiled. She remained completely motionless, frozen like a dormant machine before the light of the monitor before her outstretched hand turned on.

The scrying crystal of 01-00’s containment unit filled the screen.

And between her fingers was the image of something entirely different from the light they witnessed on the First Floor.

What was shown was instead a golden apple. It hung from beautiful branch, and in that instant –

“Shall we make preparations for the induction tomorrow, my dear Navigator?”

– She clasped at the air.


4vPul4S.png8cwKDIj.pngbdggVco.pngj2Y9yS2.png

14