10. The Site Healer!
239 4 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Several more members trickled in as Day 0 progressed. All standard checkups and inspections were ticked off from Papilia’s checklist. The memory of a Navigator was their biggest asset, and there was seldom one that couldn’t memorize the entirety of the Overseer Manual and the Corrupted Codex.

Papilia on the other hand relied heavily on physical media, mostly as a way to validate the information in her mind. It was to relieve her of any doubts she held. It also served as a backup in case she forgot.

The Sites were an anomaly enough. Anything could happen; thus, it was better in her mind to keep a physical log of everything. Papilia took a moment to return to her personal quarters. It was a suite accessible after various secure doors, which led to a hallway that split into two defined chambers. One for the Navigator, and the second for the Overseer.

Her room was an extravagant suite made from fragrant wood, packed with luxurious furnishings made from high-quality materials. Half would never see themselves being used. The room served as a reminder of her position within ImpulseWorks as one of the lucky few who had seen the end of worldly horrors.

She removed her shoes at the entryway, slotting them into a nearby shoe cupboard before she ventured through her spacious residence, the lights flicking on as though they had a mind of their own.

To put it bluntly, it was too much for her to call her own. There was no glimmer of excitement in her eyes. A home was a home, and she dragged herself into the living room, dodging artistic installations as she sat herself down at a work desk in the corner of the room.

She picked up a feathered quill, dipped it into ink, and began to scribe the events into a diary.

Day 0. 14:40. Nothing abnormal. Level 25 Healer sent authorized by Inflow Direct has been received. First Floor Unit Manager still pending. First shipment (G-0-350) still pending. Corrupted by the Code 01-00 was found installed on Day Minus 1. No abnormal events noted.

She kept the entry brief and succinct, as she had been taught. In the case of a major event, then she’d have to mentally utter every ounce of detail for the Black Box to record. The quill tapped her chin as she pondered on what else to write, eventually dotting down:

Core Team received. 5 Workers. 15 Employees assigned to duties across multiple departments. Majority within Research. 2 paper pushers. General Site has not demanded Nex currently. Optimistic for Day 1.

“… is that all I want to write?” She wondered; her quill drawing dots at the edge of the page. “Hmm… No one’s going to see this.”

She drew a smiley face right beside the word ‘optimistic’, and just as she drew the glasses on it, a knock arrived at her quarter’s door.

“H-Hello!?” She jumped, immediately shoving the diary into a compartment underneath the desk.

“It’s Aisyle. We have yet to conclude the inspection. Have you fallen ill?” The monotone voice of the Overseer spoke, calming her down.

“No, I’m fine. I just needed to catch my breath.” Papilia assured, approaching the door. Once she slipped into her footwear, the doors split open like a maw, revealing two white haired figures. “Hello? Ah – you didn’t need to bring our Healer here!”

Indeed. The woman standing beside Aisyle was the Site’s designated healer. Like Aisyle, her hair was colored white, tied into a gorgeous ponytail, and her eyes were sky blue. They dazzled with radiant innocence, for healers were incapable of conceiving harmful intentions, let alone thoughts.

Healers could only do two things. Smile, and offer their help. The healer in question had slightly dark skin and stood at roughly 140cm. She was tiny, and her cheeks blushed to a rose red as she looked up at the Navigator, her eyes sparkling with delight.

“Hello! I’m sorry if I’m not allowed to be here. But the Overseer told me you might be sick!” She spoke in an energetic, yet polite manner. It was impossible to get angry at one of these healers, and Papilia had to squint slightly as though she were staring at a bright light.

“We take precedence when it comes to our health. I assumed you required healing.” Aisyle nodded to herself, causing the healer to unravel her light-blue garbs – a standard issue Inflow Direct uniform – and revealed a utility belt filled with all manners of vials.

Colorful liquids filled them to the brim, and various needles and dangerous apparatuses could be found secured along her waist, within pockets along the internal lining of her unbuttoned garbs or strapped to her thighs.

A healer’s uniform was not dissimilar from what Papilia and Aisyle wore, except that it had a certain patch bearing the insignia of a certain Atelier.

Inflow Direct.

 

zYK2rEY.png

 

“Do you need healing?” The healer – whose name was Sanita – eagerly pulled out a vial of white liquid in one hand, and a metal syringe in the other. Her sleeves were far too large for her body, and so, she used the excess like mittens as they dangled about.

“You have a lot of Serums, huh. No thank you.” Papilia warily eyed the needle.

Serums were a powerful version of the potions Inflow Direct distributed across Elysia, which were consumed mostly by Adventurers far and wide. Healers were a rarity and numbered in only the thousands. Likely less. They were strictly governed by Inflow Direct and protected through layers of conditions and treaties between each Atelier.

Thus, any harm inflicted upon them was punishable by a fate worse than death.

To murder a healer was to declare war upon Inflow Direct, and other Ateliers that sought to protect them for they could not protect themselves. Internally, healers were called Doves.

“I’m assuming you’re also here for training purposes?”

“I think so! I heard Sites offer a lot of healing experience! It’s gonna my job to keep everyone in shape!”

“At least they didn’t send us a Scarlet Healer.” Aisyle muttered.

“Hm? What’s that?” Papilia asked.

“Healers far too good at their job.” Was her only response before she bowed to take her leave.

“Um – Have you doubled checked everything –?”

“I assure you; everything is running optimally. It would be wise to meet with the First Unit Manager when they arrive. They will be managing the Core Team and all Workers and Employees of the First Floor. They will report to only you and I…” Aisyle suddenly trailed off as she glanced at the healer momentarily. “… O Dove. Does it chatter?”

“Hm?” Sanita tilted her head, confused by what she meant.

“I see. Very well. Follow my lead. The final preparations are on the way. However, I have also visited to share some disturbing news.”

“What happened?” Papilia asked, tightening her coat.

“A Herald of Act X has arrived with telling news. I’ve not yet heard the contents. They wish to utter it to us simultaneously.

Their ‘Script’ demands it.”


4vPul4S.png8cwKDIj.pngbdggVco.pngj2Y9yS2.png

12