16. Do Not Touch The Light (Do It!)
122 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Workers were never briefed in deeply about the Corrupted they worked with. More often than not, they worked blindly. If they knew what horrors they were up against, then it made them far more likely to refuse or break down.

However, the unknown was just as terrifying. One of Papila’s policies was to have the Unit Manager run down the details of a Corrupted with their team during the 15-minute briefing phase, and the 15-minte debrief following their shift.

That way, they’d be able to make far better decisions. It went against ImpulseWork’s protocols, but she planned to do with only the Core Team to see how far it’d take them.

This was why Abra found a discrepancy in the order the Navigator gave them and a contra indication of the Essence of Light.

2T7DHnJ.png

Managemental Procedures/Protocols: 01-00 is to be kept in an enclosure no larger than 6m3 with very minimal to no maintenance required. Enclosure is to be fitted with a pane of transparent material (20% glass, 40% acrylic, 40% Caldera Industries and CogitO low grade structural blend for reinforcement).

01-00 has no known alternative states as of recording. Corrupted is to be observed by Workers on the allocated Floor simultaneously with the Overseer and Navigator. Administrative Level Employees (Clearance Level 3-2) may be granted temporary access to auxiliary scrying crystals to observe any abnormalities.

Due to its generally safe nature, there are no known suppression or subjugation protocols in place. For smooth operations, it is advised that Workers that enter the enclosure are to ensure that:

  • They do not bear hostility to 01-00.
  • Do not touch any of 01-00’s forms, whether they can see it or not.
  • Avoid the urge to ‘eat’ 01-00.
  • All Workers have their eyes checked upon entry and exit for any changes.

2T7DHnJ.png

“Do not touch any of 01-00’s forms, whether we can see it or not.” Abra pointed this out following Urusai’s turn. “It may be wise to abide by the Codex’s warning.”

Usurai’s eyes were immediately checked upon exit. Thankfully, they found nothing out of the ordinary and let her rejoin them.

“It’s a mission from the Heralds of Act X no doubt.” Rosette said, preparing to enter the unit. “There’ll be times when they’ll make us do some downright horrible things. Wish me luck, my lovelies~”

“Oh right. The string makers.” Leo snapped his fingers, watching as a gauge found in the center of the corridor was filled with every interaction they had with the Corrupted.

It sat at 40%.

Leo then continued:

“Were they protecting your streets too?”

“They made them worse.” Sharka spat, glaring through the window. “If you couldn’t recite the made up names of a hundred randomized people every week then you’d be skinned and impaled on a giant stake. They used people from my area down in the Subderma as materials for strings.”

“They just used our voices~” Urusai said, but quickly dropped her attitude seeing Sharka’s anger fester. “… At least we don’t have to worry about it here.”

“Think that Corrupted will want to hear me vent about it?” Sharka grumbled.

“I suggest you talk about something else.” Abra urged as Sharka’s hair covered her eyes.

“Like what? My waters that turned my people into freaks when they dumped their anti-healing waste? Or when half of our schools were crushed by a gravity well? What good is there to talk about this world?”

“The stars! No one can touch those!” Leo happily proclaimed, pointing up at the dull ceiling, lit by a single strip of fluorescent light.

Sharka was almost taken aback by him, shaking her head as if to snap her out of her bloodlust.

“Haaah. We’re all in here for a reason. A twisted, fucked up reason.” She knocked on the window. “Oi. Hurry up!”

Rosette only smiled from inside, mouthing the words:

“I aspire…” and, “I’m hungry.”

“M-WI-03 “Rosette”, please do not eat the Essence of Light. Termination will be required.”

Rosette laughed to herself, only reaching out to poke at the light as instructed. Everyone braced themselves, expecting nothing short of an explosion. Abra held out his hands, creating a magical barrier with red, runic symbols at its edges.

But nothing happened.

In fact –

“What the... The Distress Level counter just maxed itself out.” Urusai pointed out, watching the green smile turn to a blue smile that had hearts for eyes.

“So much for warning us. The last Overseer must’ve been an idiot.” Sharka stuck out her tongue.

– It was an overwhelmingly positive interaction.

Confused, Abra wracked his mind to figure out why they were specifically warned against it. That was when he felt a presence down the hall. A strange light appeared in the corner of his eye but before he could see what it was, it had already disappeared.

He could have sworn he caught the glimpse of a white-haired child.


4vPul4S.png8cwKDIj.pngbdggVco.pngj2Y9yS2.png

8